• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Nintendo Switch Virtual Console News ?

kc44135

So does this mean in five years we'll see a Nintendo Switch classic console then?

No, what will likely happen is that you'll eventually see the Classic Consoles re-released. I.e. in 2018, we'll get an N64 Classic, and then in 2019, maybe we'll see an "SNES Classic 2", or an an "SNES Classic plus" pith more and/or different games included than what we're getting this year.

Yeah, agreed. I still really want VC, even if it's not going to happen, most likely. It would've been amazing too, with Switch being portable. Just imagine what portable GameCube games would've been like! Shame that Nintendo would rather push Classic Consoles on us instead. :(

Even if it doesn't happen, someone will surely find a way to hack/homebrew emulators up to at least Gamecube. Dolphin runs at 1080p/60fps on an Nvidia Shield iirc.

I mean, I'd rather have an official VC from Nintendo but if they don't do it then someone will. Shame as they're missing out on free money, but maybe they'd rather not "devalue" their ROMs so they can sell classic consoles with extremely limited inventories.

Yeah, agreed. I still really want VC, even if it's not going to happen, most likely. It would've been amazing too, with Switch being portable. Just imagine what portable GameCube games would've been like! Shame that Nintendo would rather push Classic Consoles on us instead. :(

We don't know that yet and also i don't see why virtual console and those classic consoles (that are limited) would clash in any way, it would only mean more money.

I really think they want us to buy new games first and it's not the badest idea tbh, because i would like a good 3rd /indie games support in the future too. They can introduce VC next year, and even if there won't be a specific VC we will see classics on Switch.

The Neo Geo support is good already :)

Mark1

Reluctant to show anything is the vibe I'm getting here.

Wish they'd show more. Not buying NES/SNES/N64/etc classics for retro gaming. Give me that portable experience.

Give me portable GameCube gaming dammit

lutheran

Why is everyone here so sure we're even getting a Virtual Console at all? Frankly, the Switch is five months out from launch now, and E3 has also come and gone. It probably won't be happening, guys. So, why did they drop this feature with Switch? It could be that they didn't see it as being worth the investment anymore. They probably would have had to build new emulators for Switch, and while I have no idea how well VC titles sold in the past, perhaps they didn't sell enough to make bringing a VC to Switch a profitable endeavor.

There's also their "Classic Consoles", which could very well be their VC replacement. Perhaps they simply intend to come out with a new Classic Console every year and leave those who want to play retro Nintendo games at the mercy of scalpers. For the record, I badly want a Switch VC, and hate the idea of Nintendo simply dropping it, or releasing Classic Consoles instead, but at this point, I think they would have said something if it was coming. Reggie even said "we've never said Virtual Console" when asked about VC at E3.

Why not simply confirm we're getting a VC on Switch instead of being so vague? Sorry guys, but it's obviously not happening at this point, and I've personally given up on it. The most we'll likely get is some "free" NES games when Nintendo's Online Service launches next year, and I think that's about it. :(

From Polygon...

Nintendo has yet to detail Virtual Console plans for its new console, the Switch, but in a recent interview with French publication Melty, the company dropped a pretty hefty hint. Following rumors of GameCube games coming to the Switch, deputy general manager Yoshiaki Koizumi teased that the company was working on something along those lines.

“We can not really answer with precision because we have not announced anything about it at this time,” Koizumi said about GameCube titles coming to Virtual Console. “What I can tell you is that we are working on things that go in that direction.”

He neglected to detail what those “things” are, but the connection to the GameCube is clear. General manager Shinya Takahashi talked more about the GameCube’s possible future on the Switch, which could come in the form of controller attachments. If Nintendo released GameCube-style Joy-Con peripherals, Takahashi explained, the company would be sure to include analog triggers.

kc44135

We don't know that yet and also i don't see why virtual console and those classic consoles (that are limited) would clash in any way, it would only mean more money.

I really think they want us to buy new games first and it's not the badest idea tbh, because i would like a good 3rd /indie games support in the future too. They can introduce VC next year, and even if there won't be a specific VC we will see classics on Switch.

The Neo Geo support is good already :)
Aren't the Neo Geo games from some collection that was released on other systems? They're not being touted as VC releases, are they? I didn't think they were, at least. Anyway, look, I really hope you're right. I'd love VC on Switch. If there is a VC in the future, I'll gladly let y'all serve me some crow on a silver platter, and I'll chow down.
From Polygon...

Nintendo has yet to detail Virtual Console plans for its new console, the Switch, but in a recent interview with French publication Melty, the company dropped a pretty hefty hint. Following rumors of GameCube games coming to the Switch, deputy general manager Yoshiaki Koizumi teased that the company was working on something along those lines.

“We can not really answer with precision because we have not announced anything about it at this time,” Koizumi said about GameCube titles coming to Virtual Console. “What I can tell you is that we are working on things that go in that direction.”

He neglected to detail what those “things” are, but the connection to the GameCube is clear. General manager Shinya Takahashi talked more about the GameCube’s possible future on the Switch, which could come in the form of controller attachments. If Nintendo released GameCube-style Joy-Con peripherals, Takahashi explained, the company would be sure to include analog triggers.
Hmmm, this article was from awhile ago, no? Plans could've changed by now, or they could be referring to a potential GameCube Classic/Mini. I hope I'm wrong though. Super Mario Sunshine on the go would indeed be da bomb.

Top Bottom