• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Wii U owners pissed off the console is getting replaced soon?

Acerac

Banned
I'd imagine a lot of people upset with the Wii U don't game on the pc. When it comes to Nintendo titles the system is a beast, it's just third party titles that it lacks.

As somebody with a pc I'd be a lot less happy with the output of the other consoles.

PSqueak

Banned
NX can't possibly be coming out before december 2016 or early 2017, i got my Wii U in 2012, 5 years is the usual console generation life span, i see no problem.

valouris

I'd imagine a lot of people upset with the Wii U don't game on the pc. When it comes to Nintendo titles the system is a beast, it's just third party titles that it lacks.

As somebody with a pc I'd be a lot less happy with the output of the other consoles.

This, Nintendo systems + PC and you are usually covered each gen, bar the odd exclusive from the other two.

KHlover

Banned
Not at all. Had my fair share of fun with it, time to move on. Feel bad for those who had it as their only gaming device this gen (does someone like that even exist?), but that's not really my problem is it?

Astral Dog

NO, I like my Wii U,
But market realities are market realities, Nintendo promised us a few more games and those are coming, from a first party point of view im satisfied, the only thing is i wish more games used the capabilities of
f the system (wich means 720p/30fps but well, the hardware is also at fault here)

Nintendo gave it a dignified life for four/five years, its time to move on and hope NX improves on the faults the previous system had while keeping the best parts of it, the games.

Neo_Geo

Banned
No because I knew going in that it more than likely wasn't going to be a 5 year system. I just hope Nintendo does the right thing and keeps the new system backwards compatible with the Wii U and allows any licenses purchased on the Wii U/3DS be redeemable on the new platform and generally stop fucking customers with their archaic account system.

Grunkle

Banned
NX is getting kits out, and one of the last things Iwata spoke about publicly was that this was their next platform project.

Then there's the fact Dragon Quest X & XI is for the platform, and you can imagine the platform is not that far off.

Dragon Quest XI is by no means a fact for the NX. SE merely expressed that they might be interested in porting.

I bought the WiiU at launch and I'm not pissed off at all that it's being replaced soon. I bought most of the big first party offerings and really didn't enjoy them that much. Certainly not as much as I've enjoyed Nintendo games on previous consoles. I got bored of Mario Kart pretty quick this time around and no adventure mode in Smash killed that game for me. That's just a couple.

I most likely won't even buy the NX at launch, and it will be the first time I skipped a Nintendo console launch.

I understand the console is under performing and all but is anyone pissed off at the fact the Wii U support is ending supposedly soon?

We are still getting DLC for Smash, MK8 DLC finished this year, Splatoon is still getting DLC, X and Zelda is still to be launched.

So what is a good date to launch the NX but still feel satisfied with your Wii U purchase? Or is the launch of Zelda, whenever that is, enough?

Personally I would be happy if we continue to get support for the whole of 2016, then I can let it go.

The WiiU doesnt break and stop working the instant NX comes out

As a 'Nintendo' box, I'm pleased with what the U got. Could have done with a F-zero and Metroid, but happy overall. I never bought it expecting any real third party support, so on that end it's complete lack of third party past the first year doesn't really phase me.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'd prefer a five year cycle, but it'll make it four years as the primary Nintendo console on the market and given its struggles, it's no surprise. It's not like they're cutting it off two years in, it's had 4/5th of a normal console life.

No. I'm quite content with saying its provided some of the best gaming experiences this gen since release. But I am awaiting the new account and truly powerful additions that the NX will bring.

Nope, I brought it last year when there were ten games on it I was interested in, I knew it was not going to live long and anything on top of those ten was a bonus. So far that has been, Yoshi Wolly world, Mario Maker, Splatoon and Captain Toad. I'm more than satisfied.

televator

Not me. I bought mine off CL for $150 and has served me well as a 3 in 1 digital output system.

I can see why others who paid full price for a a single current system would be pissed though.

After completely skipping the Wii, got the the Mario 3D World Wii U bundle last year for $250.

I feel like a genius. Mario Maker alone validates the concept, everything else is delicious icing.

No, I have enjoyed a lot of games in the system and I wouldn't mind if a new system came out today.

I also fail to see the problem here, we aren't getting aa new console for at least a year, so won't the system last for at least 4 years? I'd be perfectly fine if generations lasted that long.

We got the best Smash, best Mario Kart, an amazing Donkey Kong game, the best game of 2015(Splatoon), the best game of 2014 too(Bayonetta 2), Wonderful 101, Mario Maker, Pikmin 3 and many more amazing titles, how could I be disappointed with the Wii U?

And we haven't even gotten Xenoblade, FExSMT, and Star Fox. I fucking love my Wii U and I'm ready for a new generation of amazing Nintendo games.

Everytime I enter a WiiU thread, it feels like it comes from an alternative reality.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
No. The fact that the console didn't get the Nintendo games that I was looking forward to the most has already made it die somewhat in my mind anyway. It's alright. Not every product can be a success. I just hope they learned their lessons for NX. With emphasis on 'hope'.

Rooter McGavin

Neo Member
I had some fun with the WiiU back when there wasn't much good reason to have a PS4 or Xbox One. Now that those 2 are picking up the pace and nothing REALLY great has come out on the WiiU in a while I'm disappointed it didn't have a stronger run and won't really have the chance to.

Kawngi

Honestly, no. I've only found enjoyment from very few games on the system in the past year of ownership of my Wii U and many of the systems in place on the system and for Nintendo are just so archaic that it's unbearable for me. The sooner we move onto the NX, the better!

Oreoleo

Not a WiiU owner, but definitely someone on the fence about buying one. I want Mario Maker and the new Xenoblade, but I really don't want to buy a console for just those two games. Every time I almost buy it on impulse, I remind myself NX is coming and it'll be a waste. Sorry Nintendo, do better next time.
If Smash + Kart didn't sway you last year, I'd hold out. I suspect we'll see a lot of WiiU ports to NX. Easy money.

fester

Banned
I don't see consoles as an investment, but a sunk cost.

I buy them once there enough games to justify their purchase, and I'm completely happy with the WiiU's existing library, but there are still cool games to come.

I still can't justify PS4 and Xbox One, still only one game between the two I'm interested in.

Same boat and completely agree. The volume of quality games and the size of my backlog pretty much guarantees I'll be playing the Wii U for years after it's "dead."

AniHawk

i buy a console with the expectation of enjoying what i want from it on the day i buy it, and usually i wait for three games to be out that i have a good feeling i'd enjoy before doing that. everything else is gravy. the whole 'video game systems as an investment' thing seems like console warrior stuff in more ways than one.

fernoca

i buy a console with the expectation of enjoying what i want from it on the day i buy it, and usually i wait for three games to be out that i have a good feeling i'd enjoy before doing that. everything else is gravy. the whole 'video game systems as an investment' thing seems like console warrior stuff in more ways than one.
Pretty much.

Currently have 104 games installed on my Wii U, 10 retail discs. Why would I be pissed? Not only I ended having and playing a ton of games but I still have a good amount I haven't finished; and is not like the Wii U will shutdown the moment the NX is released.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm actually glad it's getting replaced so "soon" and I only wish it got replaced "sooner" because as a former Wii U owner (Bought it for MH3U) I can say there are Nintendo games I would play but I'm not willing to put up with the issues I had with the system again in order to do so.

So I'm really hoping Nintendo nails it with the NX because I haven't been satisfied with their console hardware since GameCube.

flux1

No. I would have been if Zelda ended up getting pushed off the system completely in favor of an NX version. As is, I bought the system expecting a handful of very good games over its lifetime and those expectations have been surpassed.

woen

Problem is not that Wii U "is getting replace soon" but that 2015 is the last year with a good number of good or great games. Wii U had a hard launch and will have a complicated end of its cycle.

Not at all, to be honest with the amount of good games and fun I've had with it, the thing already feels like I've had a 'gen' worth out of it.

Do you guys think it's a forgone conclusion that NX will have Wii U backwards compatibility? Common sense (and history) suggests yes, but if Nintendo were keen to port some Wii U games to NX, I could see them trying to snare double dippers and come up with a reason for leaving BC out.

Personally, I'd go back and buy a shit load of Wii U games I missed if I could be guaranteed BC, I just don't feel like playing much on the Wii U these days, and I severely doubt I'd dig it out again when NX arrives.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. I may not have had many games on it but I've enjoyed the ones I have. And if the NX is the next console, it would be almost a normal cycle for a console anyway.

Apathy

People really think the nx will be some massive hit and that the wii u was only a one time problem? With the exception of the wii, Nintendo home consoles have gone down in sales since the nes. The wii was the outlier not the wii u. The wii hit causal markets hard and sold well with demographics that don't traditionally buy consoles, but trying to do that twice is not a viable strategy as it's unpredictable. That same casual market isn't there anymore.

Raitaro

While "pissed off" might be too strong a word, as a day 1 owner who is mostly interested in older Nintendo IP's and bigger, non-arcady (or round-/level-based) experiences, and who in general wants to keep using stuff for as long as possible in order to maximize their use and potential, I'm definitely disappointed by the available (first party and third party) software and the Wii U's (likely) short lifespan.

What I wanted but did not get was any or more of the following:

- One or two exploration-heavy 3D Mario games in the vein of 64 or Sunshine;
- One or two big 3D Zelda games (granted, we're still getting one of them but that might be a shared "get" with the NX);
- More stuff like Nintendo Land of Wii Sports Resort;, and more DLC support for the ones we got;
- More HD remasters of older Gamecube, Wii or even 3DS titles (like Sunshine, Wii Sports Resort, or even Kid Icarus: Uprising);
- More revivals of or returns to older IP's in the vein of (still hopefully good) Star Fox Zero (i.e. things like a new Metroid, F-Zero, Wave Race, etc.);
- More original IP's that actually make decent use of the gamepad;
- 5-10 unmissable "AAA" third party games like every system before the Wii U got;
- A non DKC Retro Studios game;
- A major Next Level game;
- And especially some of the the titles the 3DS seems to have gotten instead, like a full console Fire Emblem or proper Animal Crossing game (I greatly blame Nintendo's sole focus on their Japanese market at the cost of their US and European branches and fans for this...);

I've always felt, Nintendo Direct after Nintendo Direct, that Nintendo was saving stuff for later, but it seems this "later" will never be coming and that the 3DS and possibly the upcoming NX got/will get those titles instead. I can't help but feel as if this is a bit of a slap in the face for Nintendo's console fans who prefer not to play on handhelds and who invested in getting and keeping their Wii U's even in light of disappointing sales and support.

Now granted, I did get fantastic (and greatly supported) new games like Splatoon and Super Mario Maker that I couldn't have known I wanted when the Wii U came out, but to me, these will never make up completely for the stuff I'm still missing (and in SMM's case: I'm still hoping for more, obvious DLC that we might never get because of the Wii U's time frame). I'll have to accept that the world didn't share my ethusiasm for this system, in part because of journalists and third parties never giving it a chance in some ways, but looking at the Wii U as a whole, it does sting a bit that there is so much wasted potential and so many people that can't seem to wait to move onwards from it.

Blues1990

No, I'm completely fine with them starting things anew, if it means that things will be different and won't be a repeat of the 3DS & Wii U train wreck that had happened.

Unlike for what I did with the Wii U, I'm going to wait until there's a decent buffer of software before investing in a new Nintendo system, as well as to see if the console will be supported by third-party developers moving forward.

I don't want to get screwed over if Nintendo fails yet again with providing Third-Party support for the NX system. As much as I love the Wii U, I was fooled into thinking that they had sorted everything out & that things would be different. Instead, the games we did get were horribly optimized for the Wii U, such as the Mass Effect 3 port, or had failed to catch the public's attention and were left to die at retail.

Oreoleo

Do you guys think it's a forgone conclusion that NX will have Wii U backwards compatibility? Common sense (and history) suggests yes, but if Nintendo were keen to port some Wii U games to NX, I could see them trying to snare double dippers and come up with a reason for leaving BC out.
I don't think there will be full BC. Rumors seem to suggest they'll be moving away from the architecture they've been using since the GameCube. If there's no BC it will be for legit reasons. I also don't think they need to worry about getting one over on the double-dippers. If NX is even remotely successful they'll have plenty of new customers to sell to.

Raitaro

If the new console is backwards compatible then it doesn't really matter.

I have to admit that this would mean a great deal to me, especially if they keep supporting the gamepad as well (as not to disqualify any gamepad using Wii U games from being used ever again). Games like Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and Smash 4 could benefit from moving to the NX and be supported on there still.

Edit: apparently, looking at the replies, even this is wanting too much as a Wii U owner...the idea that fantastic evergreen (in terms of playablilty) titles like SMM and Splatoon might live and die on a then dead system is quite heartbreaking (unless Nintendo releases them again as NX titles somehow....)

Personally, I'd go back and buy a shit load of Wii U games I missed if I could be guaranteed BC, I just don't feel like playing much on the Wii U these days, and I severely doubt I'd dig out again when NX arrives.

BC will certainly not be here. They said that they want a unified console+portable architecture and they want to make things easier for 3rd party (who don't like to develop on harder architecture than what they already know well).

Also I'm not seing them doing this "gift" to us by adding a specific chip or emulator since it's doesn't seem to be a selling point for a lot of people like the BC with controllers seemed to be a problem where I was just seeing a good way not having to buy a lot of 40-60$ controllers again.

I was. One of the factors in my decision to sell it. Don't care for such short life spans.
See the post in the thread about other Nintendo systems lifespan... yeah 5 years is quite the norm.

BigDug13

Nintendo found themselves in a never before seen position in home consoles. They had the weakest system which is nothing new, but the system contained technology that flopped (tablet controller) but the tech kept the system price unusually high and so they are unable to sell the system at a low enough price to entice sales.

By far the most expensive Nintendo home console of all time and it seems like it's been unable to reduce in price as much as it needed to.

Top Bottom