• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody own or planning to own more than one Ps4/Xbone/Switch?

tl;dr at the bottom

I'm not a very smart shopper. Back in February 2014, I paid $450 for a Ps4 (it was still sold fuckin out at that point) then later they announced that Destiny white Ps4 which I bought. And I sold my OG for $350, including a second controller.

Then because my Ps4 was giving me issues I was considering giving it up but I decided not to do that. The Ps4 pro gets announced, for the better part of last year I hated the idea of it, but I still ended up buying it any way. The guy who I sold my black OG too, is the same person I was supposed to sell my white Ps4 to, this time it was $250 with LBP3 and the OG camera. However, something horrible happened and he said he was no longer able to afford it. I said fine and the next time I saw him I would pick it up.

But the next time I saw him in person, he said that maybe his parents would pay for it for Christmas. I'm like OK, it's yours. At some point on GAF someone made a thread about psplus for a year for $40, I bought 2 of the codes and showed him one, and told him he now owes me $290. I've been seeing him online playing Overwatch, but he hasn't really given me an update on paying me. I may have to take it back...but when I do, I was thinking, should I just keep my Ps4 and have 2? I have the Ps4 pro where I'm living and I'd keep the white one back at my folks' crib. OR, should I just try to sell it again but this time trade it in for a different console?

I've never owned an Xbox, I kinda want the xbone s, however I'm also intersted in the scorpio so I don't wanna buy the s now if I end up still wanting the scorpio later on down the road. Then there's the Switch, it has been a very long time since I've owned a Nintendo console, I wish it had some media playback but perhaps I would look past it if I convince myself it's worth owning.

So what do you think? What would you do?

tl;dr

I bought a Ps4 pro and I was supposed to sell my older one to someone, but something horrible happened and he wasn't sure if he could pay me, then he said maybe he could, and he hasn't given me an update. It's a sensitive situation for him, I don't want to be insensitive, but I still gotta do what I gotta do. So, should I

a. Politely grill the person about getting my money for the Ps4
b. Politely tell him that if I'm not getting my money, I need the Ps4 back?

if b, then should I sell my Ps4 elsewhere for however much I can, if so, how and where, and

c. the money I get should I just save and wait for the scorpio or
d. buy an xbone s or
e. preorder a switch (when I get the chance)

what do you think?

I have two Xboxes, my original launch system that is now in my sons room and an S I replaced it with. I had two PS4s, one day 1 launch system and a Destiny themed unit. I sold my launch system to a friend at work for a present for his daughters bday. My son prefers Xbox so it made it an easy decision on which extra system to get rid of. I'll probably keep my S and put in my bedroom once Scorpio comes out and I replace it. I've been thinking of putting my Destiny PS4 in my bedroom and getting a Pro but until I get a receiver that can pass HDR/4k60fps it's not worth it since I already have a standalone Sammy UHD player serving movie duties and I don't want to end up running 3 HDMI cable to the tv, not to mention I wouldn't be able to enjoy lossless audio on the Pro since there's no way to pass back lossless audio from my 4k tv to my current receiver.

edit - As for what you should do, that's a tough one. I'd personally just straight up ask him for the system back until he can pay. It's nothing personal and if he's going to get upset over it that's on him, not you. It's unfortunate he's dealing with issues atm but that has no bearing on your personal property and frankly if that was me I would have given your system back to you until I could afford to pay for it. Otherwise he's just abusing the situation. If you do get it back sell it to get an Xbox. Both systems have good reasons to be bought unless you're just itching to save for a Scorpio. I have no opinion on Nintendo's system though as I have little to no interest in their ecosystem.

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation with a PS4 Pro and my old PS4. Still wondering what to do with it.
Ask for the PS4 back if they can't pay you back. If you wait too long he might feel like he got enough use out of it or he might damage it. Say that they should let you know when they can actually pay you or just sell it elsewhere.

I'd probably recommend getting a Switch or a beefier PC if that's an option. I don't imagine the Xbox One S offers much that the PS4 Pro doesn't do better and I can see the Switch or PC offering different experiences you can't do on PS4 so they're nice compliments.

Toki767

I had 2 PS4s once I bought a Pro, but gave the original one to my brother.

I could possibly see myself buying 2 Switchs, but that would heavily depend on Nintendo's account system and how they handle purchases.

Two ps4s here. Kept my old one when I upgraded to the slim. Allowing it to live in the boy's room, first time he's been trusted with a home console in his cave. Everything okay so far!

Will most certainly have three switches by the end of the year, most likely around Splatoon 2's launch. My partner and boy are big Nintendo fiends so as soon as there are games to warrant, they'll want their own units. Currently have 4 3ds in the house Hah.

As far as xbox goes, I was close to two but ended up skipping the slim. May end up with a Scorpio depending how they position it, think that would count as a different thing though.

I'll probably buy a second switch at some point for multi system multiplayer with my son, might wait for the inevitable revision though

2 each of the ps4 and xbone. Mostly this is for playing multi-player with the wife, also for ease of use. Plus the xbone in the living room is the s so I can watch 4k stuff.

geordiemp

But the next time I saw him in person, he said that maybe his parents would pay for it for Christmas. I'm like OK, it's yours. At some point on GAF someone made a thread about psplus for a year for $40, I bought 2 of the codes and showed him one, and told him he now owes me $290.

So, you gave a stranger your Ps4 and he says he will pay you in the future ? Really ? You are too trusting, I hate lending someone money and continually having to ask for it back - guess what, often you never get it.

Not everybody is to be trusted in life, I tend now to not borrow or lend money ever, or give something on credit, just dont do it. Tough life lessons for people who are kind at heart. I would tell him your nephew / niece / cousin wants it and is willing to pay and you need the money for whatever sob story, it will still be 50:50 if you actually get your goods back and he shows up.

PS I have 2 Ps4 pro in the house, gave an old Ps4 to a mate for free (he does plumbing jobs for me), got another ps4 sitting on shelf - I am drowning in them. 2 Ps4 is geat for online coop games. Might get a Switch / gaming laptop or Scorpio or PSVR or Gaming PC (each for different reasons)

I love buying edition consoles. I have 2 ps4 the unchated and the destiny, im planning on buying the ffxv edition.

I bought around 10 3ds

I bought the gears xbox one and i dont even like xbox.

I cant resist. Im gonna buy any swiitch thats comes out with a special edition, zelda, mario, donkey kong.

nath999

I bought a OG XB1 and then sold that for an Elite when it came out did the same thing with PS4 and PS4 Pro. Probably going to do the same thing when Xbox Scorpio comes out if Xbox Play anywhere doesn't take off.

Buy a Switch

And

Politely bring it up with your friend. Just ask him what he's planning/able to do and that you could use the funds for things you want/need to do.

Gnub

If the switch has some multi-player games that I can get into with my wife then we'll get one for each of us.

As far as your situation goes, get your money man. Also next time "same time man."

Two switches is definitely a possibility for me. More people are living in this house so I guess more entertainment could be needed for the kids.

So, you gave a stranger your Ps4 and he says he will pay you in the future ? Really ? You are too trusting, I hate lending someone money and continually having to ask for it back - guess what, often you never get it.

Not everybody is to be trusted in life, I tend now to not borrow or lend money ever, or give something on credit, just dont do it. Tough life lessons for people who are kind at heart. I would tell him your nephew / niece / cousin wants it and is willing to pay and you need the money for whatever sob story, it will still be 50:50 if you actually get your goods back and he shows up.

PS I have 2 Ps4 pro in the house, gave an old Ps4 to a mate for free (he does plumbing jobs for me), got another ps4 sitting on shelf - I am drowning in them. 2 Ps4 is geat for online coop games. Might get a Switch / gaming laptop or Scorpio or PSVR or Gaming PC (each for different reasons)

Bingo. This is the real takeaway from this thread. OP have you ever heard of the principle of not lending anything you're not prepared to lose. And why would you buy a PSPlus subscription for someone that already owes you money. You MAY be getting played.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I love how your tl;dr parts are almost always as long as the original posts.

edit: Anyhow go with b and then decide after E3.

This. OP you have some very strange expectations of people.

I don't do loans, I don't do "pay me in the future." unpaid debts will wreck a friendship faster than anything else.

Jedi2016

Yeah, I've got a PS4 Pro and haven't decided what to do with the old PS4 yet.

I'm looking at having only one Switch, but I think I might get an extra dock for my friends so I can bring the system over and not have to worry about hooking it up to their TV for party games.

I'll probably either buy a Scorpio or a second PS4 (Pro) by the end of the year. My PS3 that I use for streaming and the odd game in the bedroom is about ready to bite the dust, so I'll probably move my regular PS4 in there and have the Scorpio or Pro set up in the living room.

Jigorath

Banned
I bought a Ps4 pro and I was supposed to sell my older one to someone, but something horrible happened and he wasn't sure if he could pay me, then he said maybe he could, and he hasn't given me an update. It's a sensitive situation for him, I don't want to be insensitive, but I still gotta do what I gotta do. So, should I

a. Politely grill the person about getting my money for the Ps4
b. Politely tell him that if I'm not getting my money, I need the Ps4 back?

Friend, you're getting screwed. Take your PS4 back.

Fireblend

Banned
Me and my GF will inevitable own 2 Switches, specially as soon as the big multiplayer games start hitting. Does that count?

hatchx

Banned
OP, maybe politely ask for the PS4 back. Just tell them you really need the money (even if you don't). It's something your friend should understand.

Then sell it and buy a switch.

I own 3 PS4s. 1 Pro and 2 of the original editions (1 with the actual buttons.) The Pro stays on my main tv. The other one is upstairs in the living room and the other is my travel/streaming PS4.

I own 2 Xbox One S's. One on my main tv and 1 in the living room.

I only plan on having 1 Switch for the time being. But I do want to get another dock once those become available.

OP, maybe politely ask for the PS4 back. Just tell them you really need the money (even if you don't). It's something your friend should understand.

if he wants to sit around with no games worth playing he might as well let the guy keep the ps4.

AwRy108

I upgraded to a PS4 Pro, and then moved my old one to our master bedroom--it's a fantastic device for media services, especially PS Vue and Blu-rays. Oh, and it also plays a metric ton of awesome games. In the end, I couldn't justify selling it for way less than what I feel it's worth.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I own an XB1 and XB1 S but will probably sell both to put towards Scorpio since its only the S which gets used now.

I'm still undecided about a PS4 Pro since my PS4 doesn't get used much as it is.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Two Switches is a possibility. We'll have to see how the lineup evolves and if it's something my gf really wants for herself.

Dr. Worm

Banned
483063-full.jpg

SheHateMe

I've got 2 PS4s. The Pro for the main living room (which is getting the 4K upgrade in about 1 month) and my launch edition for the wife in the bedroom.

I have my Halo Edition of the X1, but I won't be going to either the S or the Scorpio unless I get a major windfall, as I don't play the system enough to justify its purchase. (The only reason I got the X1 I have is because a co-worker sold it to me for the low.)

Personally, OP, I'd gently ask for the system back and put that money towards something else, like the Switch.

We have 2 ps4. We got my son the ps4 pro and I inherited his original.

As far as your dilemma, I would ask for it back if he isn't able to pay for it. I have not ever sold anything without being paid. Good Luck!

robochimp

With the cost of extra joy cons and an extra dock I may as well just buy a second Switch. I have two kids so it's an easy decision.

Silvard

I have 2 PS4s, a Pro and a regular one, but I can't see myself ever getting rid of the latter given that it's signed by Mark Cerny...

No plans of getting an Xbox One, and a Switch only after a) a redesign and/or b) it actually has some games I'm interested in.

Hardvlade

On topic, politely ask to get your PlayStation 4 back, this isn't a charity and until it's fully paid, it's yours not his.

As far as consoles, I've owned a few

tl;dr - 2 X1S, 1 PS4Pro, 1 Switch (pre-ordered)

Launch PS4 (sold to get the Batman PS4)
Batman PS4 (sold to my brother to get the Destiny TTK PS4)
Destiny TTK (Traded it to my brother since Amazon was giving $230 trade in for the Batman and got the PS4 Pro).

PS4 Pro is my current PS4 unit

-------------------------------------------
Launch XBO (sold to get the Advanced Warfare unit)
AW XBO (Sold to get the Halo 5 unit)
Halo 5 XBO (traded it in to get the X1S)

Xbox One S (2TB launch is my current one - will get replaced by the Scorpio)

----------------------------------------------
I plan on getting a Switch as well (mainly because of Zelda). My Wii U was basically my Zelda Remaster, Smash machine), Switch may be the same.

Cerium

Have a PS4 and will probably eventually get a Pro.

Have the Switch preordered and will probably get the hardware revision whenever that happens.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I have

Day One Xbox One
Sunset Overdrive limited edition white Xbox One
Xbox One s

Launch day PS4
PS4 Pro

Dremorak

Banned
I'm considering buying a backup wiiu incase my gamepad dies and any gamepad games become unplayable... other than that one of everything is fine by me (except xbone, I have a PC for that :D )

Home console? Nah. I thought about buying a spare Wii U but after CEMU's progress I won't bother. I do have two 3DSes, one OG and one N3DS XL, mostly because of Pokémon. I also plan on getting another Vita (a 2000 or recent model) because mine is dying.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I had to give up my gaming room (kid on the way) ended up moving my Ps4/Xbox One into my bed room, I did buy a second of each for down stairs. Don't use them much so prob sell them soon.

edit - As for what you should do, that's a tough one. I'd personally just straight up ask him for the system back until he can pay. It's nothing personal and if he's going to get upset over it that's on him, not you. It's unfortunate he's dealing with issues atm but that has no bearing on your personal property and frankly if that was me I would have given your system back to you until I could afford to pay for it. Otherwise he's just abusing the situation.
it's gonna be difficult bringing it up but yeah, i might have to ask him for some sort of time frame because the value is diminishing if i am to sell it elsewhere
If you do get it back sell it to get an Xbox. Both systems have good reasons to be bought unless you're just itching to save for a Scorpio. I have no opinion on Nintendo's system though as I have little to no interest in their ecosystem.
i've never owned an xbox so i kinda am itching for a scorpio, knowing it'll have everything the s has and then some - like a powerhouse of a console i kinda am excited to see what it'll be like
Yeah, I'm in a similar situation with a PS4 Pro and my old PS4. Still wondering what to do with it.
Ask for the PS4 back if they can't pay you back. If you wait too long he might feel like he got enough use out of it or he might damage it. Say that they should let you know when they can actually pay you or just sell it elsewhere.
he's been using it a lot so I don't see him saying something like he got enough use out of it, so I'll just have to try grilling him again later this week.

I'd probably recommend getting a Switch or a beefier PC if that's an option. I don't imagine the Xbox One S offers much that the PS4 Pro doesn't do better and I can see the Switch or PC offering different experiences you can't do on PS4 so they're nice compliments.
i'm honestly not super interested in an s, if i buy an xbox i might just wait for the scorpio. or a switch if enough my friends get it, i've never played a zelda game and my friend told me he cried when he watched the trailer

He wasn't a stranger, I know him. I know personally what he's going through, so it's difficult to bring it up but I'll have to break it to him if I have to.
Bingo. This is the real takeaway from this thread. OP have you ever heard of the principle of not lending anything you're not prepared to lose. And why would you buy a PSPlus subscription for someone that already owes you money. You MAY be getting played.
I know him. If I am getting played then I can confront him about it. I've sold shit to him before and he's always come through, it's just a sticky situation right now but I can talk to him about it and tell him that I need a more specific time frame.
I love how your tl;dr parts are almost always as long as the original posts.

edit: Anyhow go with b and then decide after E3.
lol, racer

my regular post is 386 words and my tl;dr is 149...

anyways yeah, i will probably end up doing b.
This. OP you have some very strange expectations of people.

I don't do loans, I don't do "pay me in the future." unpaid debts will wreck a friendship faster than anything else.
this wasn't supposed to be the deal. i gave him the Ps4 with the expectation that I was going to get paid soon but then the worst case scenario happened, while he was in possession of the Ps4. you are all right though, i should not have given it to him until I got confirmation that he would pay me.
Friend, you're getting screwed. Take your PS4 back.
I will talk to him.

I do need the money, I'm really broke trying to find a new job. We've done transactions like this before so this should not be any different; I mean it is different because of what happened and that may be why we have to cancel.
if he wants to sit around with no games worth playing he might as well let the guy keep the ps4.
huh? what do you mean?
On topic, politely ask to get your PlayStation 4 back, this isn't a charity and until it's fully paid, it's yours not his..
I will talk to him later this week. Today he told me his parents are busy and being really slow about it, I'll ask him if he can provide a time frame for when i can get the money.

Top Bottom