• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone considering AC4 on PC BEWARE! Yet another port with terrible optimization!

hlhbk

Isn't this expected and requested though? With the PS4 and XB1 out, the low end has been moved up so maintaining 60+fps at 4k resolutions is going to move up as well.

Here is the thing though, this isn't about next gen. AC3 ran the same way.

Miguel81

The neat thing is that most PC ports with shitty performance eventually become perfect with better hardware. Console versions with poor framerates are doomed forever.

I love that about PC gaming. In a few years, your average cheap gpu will run this game smooth as butter.

pa22word

It's not the tessellation that's causing the performance drop.

Not surprising considering everything we've seen on performance for this game is indicating that it's the CPU optimization that is hurting people.

I really wish they'd just give us a separate slider for view distance, depth of field, and tessellation instead of rolling them all into one stupid 4 bar slider, especially considering having a card that can do heavy GPU lifting on the tessellation front has nothing to do with them not having a CPU that fits the optimization needed to hit smooth framerates at the improved draw distance.

But alas...

I love that about PC gaming. In a few years, your average cheap gpu will run this game smooth as butter.

GPU performance doesn't seem to be the problem with this one. It's the CPU optimization that's killing people (just like AC3), and it's likely not going to improve anytime soon considering that article just came out saying the problems are due to the engine not properly supporting quad core processors.

MaLDo

Not surprising considering everything we've seen on performance for this game is indicating that it's the CPU optimization that is hurting people.

I really wish they'd just give us a separate slider for view distance, depth of field, and tessellation instead of rolling them all into one stupid 4 bar slider, especially considering having a card that can do heavy GPU lifting on the tessellation front has nothing to do with them not having a CPU that fits the optimization needed to hit smooth framerates at the improved draw distance.

But alas...

GPU performance doesn't seem to be the problem with this one. It's the CPU optimization that's killing people (just like AC3), and it's likely not going to improve anytime soon considering that article just came out saying the problems are due to the engine not properly supporting quad core processors.

Again, AC IV does NOT have tessellation in the enviroment. Vegetation don't have tessellation, rocks and terrain don't have tessellation, buildings and characters don't have tessellation and water doesn't have tessellation. Only sun rays have some kind of it and it's not linked with Enviroment Quality slider at all.

pa22word

Again, AC IV does NOT have tessellation in the enviroment. Vegetation don't have tessellation, rocks and terrain don't have tessellation, buildings and characters don't have tessellation and water doesn't have tessellation. Only sun rays have some kind of it and it's not linked with Enviroment Quality slider at all.

Oh hm, okay. I haven't had time to play it very much to confirm (15 hour download eurgh...), so I was just going off what other people were saying ITT plus I think the Nvidia performance guide mentioned something about it (edit: the guide only mentions tessellated godrays, yeah).

That's both disappointing to hear (still no heavy tessellation support in games makes me a sad panda :() and helpful considering low LOD doesn't really bother me much of the time.

Yeah, it's not great. I just keep it locked at 30 now, since that seems to work best.

Just had my first crash, though, that wasn't so much fun.

Bigbillybeef

Neo Member
I'm running this game at a rock solid 60fps, 90% of the time. In highly detailed jungle area's it will sometimes dip a little but other than that it seems to run really well.

I found turning environmental quality from very high to high made the biggest difference. It seems to have the same effect as changing from high/very high to normal in AC3.

Other than that I turn soft shadows off and volumetric fog off. The game still looks fantastic and runs like a dream, and I'm really enjoying it.

This game really benefits from HBAO, everything looks kinda flat without it.

This is on a 2500k @ 4.5GHz and a 7970GE

P.S. no crashes for me whatsoever, so I think the "bad port" cries are a little unfair. I wonder if this is a "draw calls" issue that has been warned about by many industry insiders for a long time now.

Waaghals

I have essentially stopped buying Ubisoft games. They generally don't click with me gameplay wise, and they often run like crap on pc.

They don't run much better on console either.

GrazGamer

On my Alienware X51 it runs maxed with SMAA at 1080p locked at 30fps so far in both the jungle and Havana with the odd drop to 28-29fps with adaptive vsync. That's next gen beating graphics with equal performance and res for me so I am very happy.

So far, the improved next gen games released on PC have totally validated my purchase of the X51 over a next gen console, for now. :)

16 GB ram

7870xt

There are some really hefty top end crap in this but if dial a few things back, it isn't hard to get a pretty smooth 50-60 fps for the average man that looks ok.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
The article in the OP fails to mention which build they used (wasn't the launch day, retail version), and they didn't use the launch-day driver, either, which increases performance substantially and boosts SLI scaling to 90-100%.

It also neglects to mention that a forthcoming patch will further increase the performance and image quality of Soft Shadows (PCSS), and tessellated God Rays.

I recommend dropping into the Performance Thread and getting GAF impressions before writing the game off because of one article using outdated software and drivers.

Bigbillybeef

Neo Member
The article in the OP fails to mention which build they used (wasn't the launch day, retail version), and they didn't use the launch-day driver, either, which increases performance substantially and boosts SLI scaling to 90-100%.

It also neglects to mention that a forthcoming patch will further increase the performance and image quality of Soft Shadows (PCSS), and tessellated God Rays.

I recommend dropping into the Performance Thread and getting GAF impressions before writing the game off because of one article using outdated software and drivers.

This

Shinjica

Yeah because normally you buy a game and then wait a few weeks for a patch that improve the game experience

hlhbk

Andy with all due respect I am seeing terrible performance on my machine, the article just backed up what many people are seeing.

GrazGamer

Yeah because normally you buy a game and then wait a few weeks for a patch that improve the game experience

This exactly. It also really annoys me that patches for graphical effects are added weeks later, it's the same with Ghosts and this mythical patch for fur.

Nvidia tout these extra graphical effects, like physx for ACIV, but I have the game to play RIGHT NOW! I could be done with the game by the time these patches come out, am I supposed to wait for a few weeks after a game is release to play it as it was intended or when the performance is "fixed"?

hlhbk

This exactly. It also really annoys me that patches for graphical effects are added weeks later, it's the same with Ghosts and this mythical patch for fur.

Nvidia tout these extra graphical effects, like physx for ACIV, but I have the game to play RIGHT NOW! I could be done with the game by the time these patches come out, am I supposed to wait for a few weeks after a game is release to play it as it was intended or when the performance is "fixed"?

Exactly. The game never should have been released in the state is in right now. What were they doing for the extra 3 weeks since the current gen version came out?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Andy with all due respect I am seeing terrible performance on my machine, the article just backed up what many people are seeing.

You say:

I have turned down and off most of the settings and it makes no difference. My specs are as follows:

Intel Core I7 2600K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 670 FTW running the latest drivers
8 GB RAM

That suggests a bug, rather than a performance issue. Have you tried deleting the config files? Manually changing them and then setting to read only? Verifying game files?

I have the same CPU, and I also have 680s here. With those, the performance using the settings in my article is what I would expect.

It really helps if you're not obsessed with getting 60fps. If a massive open world game can run well at like 35-40fps on highest settings for me then I'm happy. Is it even realistic to expect them to run maxed at 60fps at ridiculous resolutions?

I can already see the gnashing of teeth when GTA V comes out on PC.

edit: Well, if there is a specific bug then I hope it gets patched soon. Getting mine on Friday.

lunchtoast

i5 3570k OC
660 TI

I can't view that site at work but I had to turn down some settings to get a 50-60 stable fps. The main problem for me is constant screen tearing. With both vsync on/off. I'll try vsync externally or just wait for drivers/patch.

mlewis

Neo Member
I'm getting fantastic performance- averaging about 50fps, fully maxed out aside from AA, and my system is hardly godlike. Running at 1440p, i5-3570k at stock, with 2 stock GTX670s in SLI.

The OP seems incongruent with my experience.

puzl

Banned
OK so to guarantee 60fps on my i7 920 @ 3.4ghz, GTX 780, 12GB RAM, SSD setup I had to lower the following from max:

Environment detail: HIGH (from VERY HIGH)
AA: SMAA (from TXAA x 2)
Shadows: VERY HIGH (from Soft Shadows High)

These 3 changes gave me about 40% more performance. I kept HBAO+ on high because it makes a far bigger difference to overall IQ than any of the above, at least in relation to the performance hit.

TXAA gives a nice soft look (which I actually like, but some would call it blurry) but it's simply not worth it for the performance hit. Environment detail is the biggest hit to frames though. As others have mentioned, it seems to be tessellating the whole image and absolutely kills performance in larger areas.

hlhbk

I'm getting fantastic performance- averaging about 50fps, fully maxed out aside from AA, and my system is hardly godlike. Running at 1440p, i5-3570k at stock, with 2 stock GTX670s in SLI.

The OP seems incongruent with my experience.

The fact you need to run that CPU and SLIed 670's at that resolution is insane.

I just got my promotional code from nVidia for buying a GTX760.

I consider myself lucky that I am not so sensitive to framerates. Usually anything above 30 is fine to my eyes, as long as there is not too much tearing.

I just got my promotional code from nVidia for buying a GTX760.

I consider myself lucky that I am not so sensitive to framerates. Usually anything above 30 is fine to my eyes, as long as there is not too much tearing.

I'm the exact same. Tearing is an absolute no no, so I always have vsync on. But I'm fine as long as I don't drop below 30-35fps. Though 40+ is nice and I usually can get that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Runs on par with AC3 for me, so how is this surprising again?

Cod Ghosts actually needed people to be warned because the previous games ran on toasters.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The game uses hilarious amounts of tesselation when you have environment detail at "very high", turn it down to high and it's pretty easy to lock it at 60 fps.

Top Bottom