• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else worried that Persona 5's dub could be bad?

Black Hat

Let me preface this with saying that I think Persona 4 Golden's dub is excellent - it is just a lingering thought in the back of my mind that maybe lightning won't strike twice.

Reading spoiler-free impressions of Persona 5 lead me to believe that this game is going to be something special. The wait between now and Feb is going to be tough, let alone trying to avoid spoilers for months.

Putting aside the elitist mindset that most of the internet has of "subs > dubs" - there are many examples in video games and anime of English voice acting of equal or objectively superior quality.

I've been watching the Danganronpa 3 anime recently and was linked to some footage of the dubbed version where one of the pivotal characters is given a bad VA and dropping dank memes like "YASS QUEEN"

Should I put aside my worries and believe that ATLUS has got this covered? Am I being an elitist weeb? (possible)

Just don't want a potentially high caliber JRPG hampered by a bad dub. Guess we will find out in Feb!

Don't let FUNimation's mediocre broadcast dubs worry you. Atlus does good dubs for their games so there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Also yes that Danganronpa 3 dub is horrid.

Like you say, P4's dub was excellent, and that was put together before the game blew up. Even P3's was pretty good.

Got no doubt P5's will be just fine.

They'll get the better anime va's. We'll probably even hear some of the cast from P4 in there because god knows they use the same VAs for so much anime and video games.

FluxWaveZ

The Danganronpa anime isn't a good comparison to what Atlus is doing. A better reference point would be the newly released Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, which generally has great voice acting.

Strimei

I've been watching the Danganronpa 3 anime recently and was linked to some footage of the dubbed version where one of the pivotal characters is given a bad VA and dropping dank memes like "YASS QUEEN"

That's by FUNimation.

While they do do good work, they also do some bad work. This being one of them.

I wouldn't worry.

Choomp

Banned
I doubt it. Everything I've seen game looks polished and awesome as fuck and 4 and 3's dubs were outstanding.

Lunar15

They have a pretty good track record. Is it going to be as stellar as the Japanese cast? Probably not, but I think it'll hold its own.

I was just slightly worried about translation when Nich left, but recent releases have definitely alleviated that fear.

Galang

Banned
I'm not worried at all.. Atlus is pretty good imo. I didn't have a problem with Persona 3 or 4 at all personally. Loved the dub work

This sounds amazing... I tried searching, but I couldn't find a clip!

ATLUS usually puts out fantastic dubs, especially with the Persona series. Catherine is also another great example.

So, with that I really have no doubt they'll put out an amazing dub for the English version.

EDIT: As for the DR3 dub, that's done by FUNimation and is an anime dub. A lot is done differently with games, especially since there's a more in-depth and intensive localization process when it comes to games, rather than an simulcasted dub.

Will the English dub of P5 be better than its Japanese dub? Probably not, as the cast for the Japanese dub is a pretty stellar cast for a dub in general. But, I feel that the English dub will have its own great cast that'll do a great job.

I'm worried because the dubbing scene has changed greatly over the past 8 years. Lots of the great actors like Troy Baker, Laura Bailey don't do as much dubbing anymore and many of the new batch are amateurs with little VO experience.

PCB Productions (Atlus's typical dub studio) used to be one of the premier dub companies, but recently they did Zero Time Dilemma and Guilty Gear Xrd and the dub of those were flat-out bad IMO. Not to mention the P4 spinoffs bled the original cast as they went on and many of the replacements were inferior. That's why I'm apprehensive.

Hikami

Not worried about the dub quality, worried that they'll change voice actors for every damn (inevitable) spin-off like they did with Persona 4.

I'm worried because the dubbing scene has changed greatly over the past 8 years. Lots of the great actors like Troy Baker, Laura Bailey don't do as much dubbing anymore and many of the new batch are amateurs with little VO experience.

PCB Productions used to be one of the premier dub companies, but recently they did Zero Time Dilemma and Guilty Gear Xrd and the dub of those were flat-out bad IMO. Not to mention the P4 spinoffs bled the original cast as they went on and many of the replacements were inferior. That's why I'm apprehensive.
That sounds like a good thing imo. This industry needs new blood badly.

DNAbro

Nah they do great voice work so I'm not worried. (Though the "homeslice went bannacakes" line in SMTIVA is a bit suspect)

Also the DR games are pretty great too.

That sounds like a good thing imo. This industry needs new blood badly.

It isn't when the new VAs can't act. Continuing my ZTD example, Junpei's VA was an amateur and he sounded like one.

There's good newcomers and bad newcomers but many non-union dubs as of late tend to have very few from the former crowd.

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm confident in Atlus's casting decisions here. As long as we don't get some awkward "MY TRAYL OF THE DRAGUUUUUUNNNNN" delivery from some of the characters, it'll be great!

chefbags

I thought they would release the Japanese dub as dlc later on?

Correct me if I'm wrong cause I totally saw it as a post on one of the Persona threads.

Atlus has far and away the best localisation team of any game company in the last 10 years. And its Persona which is basically their crown jewel.

It will be fine.

I'm going to believe the dub will be great, until evidence points in the other direction.

The outstanding localization and presentation of Persona 4 (which VA is a big part of) is a major part of why the game is so well received over here, and the greater western success of Persona 4 compared to other previous SMT/Persona titles is probably a large part of why the entire multimedia franchise managed to get a better foothold here in the west.

It would be INSANE for Atlus to not put a good amount of effort into the voice work of the game. They need that presentation value to be as slick as the game itself.

Strimei

PCB Productions (Atlus's typical dub studio) used to be one of the premier dub companies, but recently they did Zero Time Dilemma and Guilty Gear Xrd and the dub of those were flat-out bad IMO. Not to mention the P4 spinoffs bled the original cast as they went on and many of the replacements were inferior. That's why I'm apprehensive.

While I'll agree that ZTD's was pretty lackluster (though it had some good points), I would imagine that they'll do their utmost to make sure that P5 has a good dub. There's a huge gulf between ZTD and P5.

As a massive fan of the series, I have faith that Atlus will be able to cast fitting, VO for each roll and deliver an excellent performance. They have yet to let me down when it comes to their VO's in any of their releases.

... I'd be lying, however, if I said I didn't have that last, lingering, unrealistic fear that maybe the VO will be the Achilles heel of the English release - if only because it's the last piece to be added - the last real part to worry about.

Darksol

I mean, the Japanese voice acting this time around is absolutely flawless so I find it hard to believe the dub won't be inferior. That being said, I still think the dub will be quite good.

DNAbro

I'm not worried.

Also, this may be Morgana's English VA from thier E3 stage show (not confirmed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUMGTPH5o1c

I mean it might as well be confirmed.

I mean, the Japanese voice acting this time around is absolutely flawless so I find it hard to believe the dub won't be inferior. That being said, I still think the dub will be quite good.

Yeah there are some performances I will be shocked if they can surpass or meet the same quality cause damn they did a good job.

Thoraxes

As long as I can turn off the voices in P5 like I could in P4, i'll be golden.

I haven't liked too many ATLUS dubs recently.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
No. They've shown time and again to have very good dubs with only a few weak spots here and there at the most. Both SMT IV and Apocalypse had great VA and prior Personas have as well. It would be rather shocking if they managed to screw it up.

Top Bottom