• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone feel differently about their Switch Pre-Order weeks later?

I would only pre order if other companies started to announce support for the platform.

Sadly and very predictable, most of them gave it PR speeches about not being interested in the moment. (EA basically killed my interest not adapting Frostbite 3.0 for the console. 90% of their development are on this platform)

I just wish I had a Wii U right now to play Breath of the Wild.

Kikorin

I waited some days after the presentation to preorder, so I was already hyped. Anyway now I'm way more hyped and I can't wait to play Zelda and Mario Kart.

JB2448

Nope. Very happy I got off the hype train after that disaster of a press conference.
Outside of NeoGAF, I haven't really seen anyone call this conference a "disaster." Lackadaisically paced and dull, yes, but a disaster? This isn't Konami at E3 2010 here, people.

I don't want a Switch, but the lady friend wants to play Zelda and I refused to buy a Wii U. I guess I kind of want to play it also, but I wouldn't have preordered one just for myself.

Hopefully Splatoon2 or something else catches my attention because the release list is looking weeeeeak.

Here's the thing, I wasn't really excited after the conference but I pre-ordered one any way for a couple reasons. I want to play Breath of the Wild, buying a Wii U with BotW is about as expensive as buying a Switch with BotW, and lastly I'm almost certain that I can sell the Switch for more than I paid if I end up not liking it. So it's not really much of a gamble for me.

AppleBlade

I've gone through a similar cycle as the OP. Super excited, preordered right away then started feeling down but has had the hype build up again. The hype I have for this system is high, about on par with the Playstation 1 and Wii. Nothing else compares. I loved the PS3 and PS4 but I'm more hyped for this. Xbox and 360 I got way after launch. Wii U I got in the launch window but I wasn't as hyped as I am for this.

I preordered it on a whim, figured at worst I could cancel or sell it at cost. But now I'm getting excited. Id like to be all digital so here's hoping Nintendo doest screw that up.

Nope, my excitement is maintained.

This is how it always goes for me and new Nintendo and Sony platforms (sole exception being the PS3 at its launch), though, so not exactly shocking.

This s literally part of my thoughts and its depressing as fuck. I've sunk so much money into my overall PS library it literally makes me sick to my stomach that i'm not able to play stuff. Adding on to that pile is just giving me anxiety issues.

I know it's easy for me to say, and obviously I don't know your whole story...

But you really need to just let go of the idea that you have to play so many games. The way you seem to be approaching games, you're not enjoying them - you're not truly "playing" at all. That's terrible, man! I really hope you can find a way to just let go and enjoy the simple joys of Play.

Pizza

Early adopters got burned hard with the Wii U, my wait and see approach worked for me then and the switch isn't terribly different so far

Early adopters got burned hard with the Wii U, my wait and see approach worked for me then and the switch isn't terribly different so far

Huh? How did we get "burned hard" with the Wii U anymore than any other Wii U buyers? Are you sure you're not thinking of the 3DS with it's huge price cut a few months in?

beta_fuse

I was always was going to get it but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed after the presentation. A lot of people were very upset over either the price of the console, pay to play online or the specs however I had no issues with any of that. My biggest complaint was the launch lineup and lack of a "must own" surprise game announcement for launch. I know that isn't something to typically expect from Nintendo however based on them actually hosting a huge live-streamed event and mentioning numerous times in the past that a good launch line up is VERY important, I was just expecting more. The Zelda trailer really helped easing the frustration but I still felt less excited about the console than I previously had.

Needless to say frustrating feeling really didn't last long. After rewatching the Zelda trailer and hearing nothing but positive impressions about everything the hardware has to offer, I can happily say I am more excited than ever. BOTW will eat up a lot of my gaming time with splashes of Bomberman and Snipperclips until we get games like Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2, Arms and Mario Odyssey. There's also quite a few indie games that I'm looking forward to playing.

I really hope the console does well so we get more 3rd party devs on board. There's a lot of potential here and can't wait to see what they show off at E3.

platina

Give it a couple of months after release. So barren without third party support. Everybody gets excited for a new piece of plastic.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm kinda tempted to cancel since there's just way too many games on other platforms that I want to play around the launch date.
I thought about this but then I realized I don't have a Wii U anymore, I'm gonna get the switch anyway, and ZELDA.

I STILL NEED
Nioh
Nier
Horizon
RE7
Etc

My wallet, I'm sorry

farisr

Not yet. Same as I was initially. Pre-order is still a "just in case, likely gonna cancel a week before it releases" status.

jackal27

Banned
Nah. I'm still bummed about accessory pricing, but I'll probably just hold off on new controllers until the price goes down. Who knows though.

Raitaro

My initial lukewarm excitement first went up after seeing more footage of ARMS but after that it went back down when several smaller niggles began to pile up (i.e. not being able to charge while using tabletop mode quite possibly, the charging grip not being included, no d-pad on joycons despite several announced titles needing one imo, paid online giving month long access to VC game, no real VC details still, several newly announced (Switch suitable) games already starting to skip Switch just like Wii U, the extremely high accessory prices, the 3DS getting exclusive games yet again, etc.).

The fee required for online play might end up being a big factor in my purchasing decision as well as I simply can't see how this is a smart move in terms of gathering a large player base when children are supposed to be an important part of their target audience. Which parent would buy their child a console, game AND an online subscription just for that one game (initially), especially if the fee ends up being quite high? And will there ever be enough games to warrant this paid service beyond MK8, ARMS and Splatoon 2?

I'll be keeping my pre-order for now but the chance that I will cancel the whole thing and just keep my Wii U Zelda backup pre-order is definitely still there.

Pizza

Huh? How did we get "burned hard" with the Wii U anymore than any other Wii U buyers? Are you sure you're not thinking of the 3DS with it's huge price cut a few months in?

My friend was gung ho about getting one at launch, and there weren't any games that he (or I) were TERRIBLY interested in for a good chunk of time afterwards. I'm not saying anyone got particularly burned hard: by the time I got a Wii U it was like right before Pikmin 3/Mario 3D world released there were already a few goood games I wanted, with lots more on the way. He, on the other hand, sort of resented his purchase after awhile.

At least a wave of new games came with the 3DS price cut

Idk, it's all preferences of course but I'd like to know there's not going to be a year-long game drought within the first few years of owning the console prior to buying it. My friends aren't going to buy splatoon 2, and I already own mk8. Zelda and Mario are sweet, but those are games I enjoy the shit out of and then put down.

Idk, as of now the new Mario and Zelda don't look like $400 purchases, but I'll totally pick it up on a good sale

Edit: also they need to sell me on a paid subscription. I don't feel like Nintendo releases enough online games to ask me to pay a fee to play them online. Especially if there's another color splash/star fox/Mario tennis year

Sizzel

Nope - pretty not hyped when I preordered pretty same today. Still getting it. I am just expecting the WiiUII but I loves me some first party Nintendo and it is only 300$ so whatevs. Some Comfy in bed Xeno2 sounds great

Roufianos

I'm gonna try and hold out as long as I can. Don't wanna buy it, finish Zelda then just have it collecting dust.

Also, I fully expect a price cut in the fall. Don't see it selling well at all during first few months.

My friend was gung ho about getting one at launch, and there weren't any games that he (or I) were TERRIBLY interested in for a good chunk of time afterwards. I'm not saying anyone got particularly burned hard: by the time I got a Wii U it was like right before Pikmin 3/Mario 3D world released there were already a few goood games I wanted, with lots more on the way. He, on the other hand, sort of resented his purchase after awhile.

At least a wave of new games came with the 3DS price cut

Idk, it's all preferences of course but I'd like to know there's not going to be a year-long game drought within the first few years of owning the console prior to buying it. My friends aren't going to buy splatoon 2, and I already own mk8. Zelda and Mario are sweet, but those are games I enjoy the shit out of and then put down.

Idk, as of now the new Mario and Zelda don't look like $400 purchases, but I'll totally pick it up on a good sale

Edit: also they need to sell me on a paid subscription. I don't feel like Nintendo releases enough online games to ask me to pay a fee to play them online. Especially if there's another color splash/star fox/Mario tennis year

Oh, you're talking about the post-launch drought. I wouldn't really consider that being "burned" since we honestly knew exactly what games we would be getting- they just came a bit later than we hoped. But yeah a drought like that was pretty frustrating for sure. The Switch already has a much better spaced 2017 schedule, though as you said, if you don't like or already have those games, that means nothing to you.

I'm personally finding out so much about all these indie games being announced because indie games like Binding of Isaac and Shovel Knight seem so much better suited to a portable machine than a stationary one, so I'm starting to dread how much money I'll be spending on those once I'm done with/burnt out on Zelda.

But I definitely do get your trepidation about the announced games thus far, and I'm hoping they left a lot of announcement for E3.

Waji

I didn't want to preorder at first because I was going to play Zelda on the Wii U and wait for more news about the 2017 games. But when I saw the presentation I was destroyed because of really bad night (5am in Europe) and really didn't enjoy some of the stuff shown as much as did when I watched it again later, especially the last Zelda trailer.

It felt like I didn't even see it the first time. Then I saw How Monolithsoft was "proud" about working on it enough to show as much as Xenoblade2 on their website and it just finished to build the already really high hype I had for the game. I never have any for Zelda games, but I like how this one seems to work. I'm not even an Open World fan especially. It's just the whole project.

Then I heard about the 3gb space needed on Wii U which I wouldn't easily have...
And I saw the price in my country drop from 349€ to 329€. I was sure it would drop to at least 310 or so, hoping for 299. It did so I'm pretty happy about it.
Since I don't need any other accessory I'm good with the price. Only disappointed by the lack of charge port on the grip sold with the system.

Now I know I can enjoy Zelda on handheld/TV, anywhere and plan to pick games depending on the news. Like Snipperclips could be nice to play with my wife.
So... Big hype, first day one for a system. Usually it's at least a year before I buy.
And I made a GAFriend preorder it too, both with Japanese Zelda because I began to help him learn Japanese, so it's a fun mutual hype.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm to the point that I'm watching nearly every video I come across on youtube with the word "Switch" in it and Zelda on top of it has me incredibly hyped.

Have one pre-ordered with Amazon, however I am on stand-by mode and I could cancel if the online plan turns out to be a disaster. Will watch any Direct they do before launch day with great interest.

Redd

I would only pre order if other companies started to announce support for the platform.

Sadly and very predictable, most of them gave it PR speeches about not being interested in the moment. (EA basically killed my interest not adapting Frostbite 3.0 for the console. 90% of their development are on this platform)

I just wish I had a Wii U right now to play Breath of the Wild.

There's time. Pretty sure you can still buy a Wii U online.

Chao

I made up my decision as soon as the preorder was available. I will have this thing because it's a Nintendo platform and I'll keep supporting them until they go out of business.

And I want the definitive version of Zelda.

Nothing has changed since then, I don't care about other people's opinions on what I know I want

Recreat3

Nope. The only thing i am not looking forward to is paying the balance but if it keeps me from going out and spending money on other things (booze mostly), then it will even out.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The only thing I'm second guessing is whether to keep my grey Switch preorder. I want the neon, but haven't been able to secure one. I might dump my grey and just try to find a Neon at release.

jdstorm

Banned
Was happy to get a preorder. Then the conference happened... what a disaster.

Since then ive returned to cautious optimism. There are about 14 games on the Switch i'd like to play this year so i think it has enough.

Still might end up reselling it for a profit and buying Zelda on WiiU. Havent made up my mind yet

My hype went from way too high to excited but content to wait until March 3rd. I assume if I didn't have a preorder in, I'd still be at hype mode.

Mortemis

Banned
Similar to you OP. I preordered but all the (understandable) negativity has been making me think of cancelling. Recently though I'm warming up to keeping it. I thought of it and I probably won't need anything other than Zelda for a month anyways, and Mario kart isn't too far away. Arms looks really fun (but idk if I'll get that since I'd just play local co-op and fuck those joycon prices). Plus the few indie games that I'm down to play since I don't have my PS4 anymore should be good enough of a launch.

Really I think I've just been trying to justify to myself to spend so much to play Zelda day one. Lol

Ponn

Banned
I know it's easy for me to say, and obviously I don't know your whole story...

But you really need to just let go of the idea that you have to play so many games. The way you seem to be approaching games, you're not enjoying them - you're not truly "playing" at all. That's terrible, man! I really hope you can find a way to just let go and enjoy the simple joys of Play.

No you are pretty spot on, I don't enjoy it anymore for a variety of reasons. I think its time for a break.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm similar to you, OP.

I was generally hyped. Then there was the mediocre event and the negative news in the week that followed. But as we've been getting more game announcements and as I've had time to watch the Treehouse Live videos, I'm feeling pretty hyped for the system.

Most excited I've been for a console since Wii. Part of that is Zelda, like with the Wii, but I genuinely think the Switch looks like an awesome console.

TrutaS

I feel the same, difference is I actually cancelled the pre-order :-/ I was super excited in the beginning, then after seeing everyone's negative points I actually felt it was probably best to wait until the end of the year and I cancelled my pre-order. But now I've warmed up to it again and slightly regret letting myself loose steam.

Now that I'm not on the hype train though, I've decided to wait until this actually feels like a replacement to the 3DS and then I'll buy it.

I'm pretty ambivalent. I'm getting one. But basically just to play Zelda at this point. I'll re-evaluate after and decide if I want to sell it off. Shouldn't be too hard to get most my money back. On one hand I'm glad I can play on the big screen or while lounging in bed. On the other hand I couldn't give two shits less about the motion controls, IR and HD rumble (which somehow doesn't have 3.5mm jack or Bluetooth audio) and honestly don't really see the need for the dock. When an HDMI cord would have sufficed. Seems like they prioritized the wrong things, especially considering first and foremost I think the audience will be more mobile. Money would have been better used elsewhere. Also the online subscription and social functionality is quite dissapointing if true. Console is also the most expensive console on the market if you go even somewhat digital. Not even considering the over inflated cost of all the peripherals.

Also ffs if you want to create a game highlighting your new motion controllers and using the consumer as your marketing tool, then at least give us the damn game for free bundled with the console. Also should have been Switch Sports.

Top Bottom