• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone get their hands on Haruki Murakami's new novel "1Q84"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD-Ness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Q84

Obviously assuming those who can read Japanese. How is it??

Recently found out that Murakami, one of our best contemporary writers, has released a new novel titled "1Q84." (I think there's some connection between Orwell's 1984 and this novel.) Apparently 1Q84 has been flying off the shelves in Japan since it was released. I'm pretty excited, having loved Kafka on the Shore, and his older works. Never read After Dark.

But I'm hoping this is released in English in 2010. This plus David Foster Wallace's The Pale King are on the top of my "Must Get" list.

S. L.

i am intrigued...
"The English edition of the first two volumes, translated by Jay Rubin, will be released in North America and the United Kingdom in September 2011"
nooooooooooo

bengraven: totally get Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World!

blanky

S. L. said:
i am intrigued...
"The English edition of the first two volumes, translated by Jay Rubin, will be released in North America and the United Kingdom in September 2011"
nooooooooooo

bengraven: totally get Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World!

yeah it makes NO SENSE at all to me =/ 2011? Is it really that much work? it's almost 2 years of translating then. Ah well, haven't read all of his work yet.

Undeux

blanky said:
yeah it makes NO SENSE at all to me =/ 2011? Is it really that much work? it's almost 2 years of translating then. Ah well, haven't read all of his work yet.
I can see how it would be tough, not to mention that I'm sure all translators have to work on multiple projects at once to stay afloat. That said, I want it now. :-/

Evlar

Banned
I think, for the English edition at least, Murakami personally provides feedback and reviews the text of the translation. I can see how it would take time.

trinest

Evlar said:
I think, for the English edition at least, Murakami personally provides feedback and reviews the text of the translation. I can see how it would take time.
Thats pretty interesting and awesome.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
superfly said:
No surprise that the translation will take so long. Its a 1400 page book
:O actually, i'm not so sure if that's a good thing. The wind-up bird chronicles - his longest book until this one, i felt dragged on to much in the middle. But still, very excited. Sep 2011 can't come soon enough.

Read the two first chapters in class. I really like Aomame's character and I can see her becomming quite awesome later in the books.

But yeah the Murakami feeling was defintely intact in the few pages I read.

Kikujiro

I read somewhere that he's working on a third one.
This really sounds like his best work to date, at least on par with the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

I need a time machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom