• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone gone from New 3DS XL down to New 3DS and regretted it?

//ARCANUM

I'm in America to start off. I have the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL and am considering selling it and getting a New 3DS bundle (either just grabbing the happy home designer one now or waiting for the pokemon one) and grabbing some japanese cover plates. I'm also going to Japan in April so could probably pick some up then.

The main reason I want to move to the regular size as opposed to the XL is them sweet cover plates. I'm a sucker for customization.

But I'm worried I might regret downgrading in size (I've have man hands and the XL fits pretty decently, though it does feel a bit heavy). For example, I had an iPhone 6+, then sold it and got a 6s, regretted the smaller size, returned it and got a 6s+, lol. Obviously this isn't the exact same situation... but it's similar.

I know this is an ultimate first world problem, but I'm just wondering if anyone went from n3DS XL down to n3DS and was either happy with the decision or regretted it?

Thanks for the help!

I went from a normal XL to a n3DS and regret it. It's too small. I got convinced by the cover plates and the better pixel density.. but meh. Playing on the XL was just a better experience.
I'll probably get a new 3DS XL in the future once I can find a decent deal.

I've got fairly small hands for a gent and I still struggle to hold the standard size in a comfortable way, I was playing DBZ whatever it's called and was thinking 'I wonder if the XL is more comfortable to hold?' having not used an XL I don't know for sure.

too small in terms of holding it / too small in terms of screen sizes / both?

Having gone from old 3DS to n3DS XL, I can't go back to the old size for either the screen or the form factor. (I still have my OG 3DS and turn it on every once in a while to remind me why I bought my n3DS XL.)

Weevilone

I have big hands but still avoided playing my New 3DS XL because it quickly got uncomfortable. Ditching that for the smaller one was great for me.

too small in terms of holding it / too small in terms of screen sizes / both?

It's mostly the screen size for me. I have medium sized hands and I don't get cramps or anything, but the XL also just felt better to hold because of the weight and size.

I mostly use handhelds at home though, so that influences my preference.

Megatron

I have both. The screen size in the regular is too small. Its just barely larger than the original 3ds so dont believe the 'medium size' lies.

Cyryus

I'm in America to start off. I have the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL and am considering selling it and getting a New 3DS bundle (either just grabbing the happy home designer one now or waiting for the pokemon one) and grabbing some japanese cover plates. I'm also going to Japan in April so could probably pick some up then.

The main reason I want to move to the regular size as opposed to the XL is them sweet cover plates. I'm a sucker for customization.

But I'm worried I might regret downgrading in size (I've have man hands and the XL fits pretty decently, though it does feel a bit heavy). For example, I had an iPhone 6+, then sold it and got a 6s, regretted the smaller size, returned it and got a 6s+, lol. Obviously this isn't the exact same situation... but it's similar.

I know this is an ultimate first world problem, but I'm just wondering if anyone went from n3DS XL down to n3DS and was either happy with the decision or regretted it?

Thanks for the help!

I would like to know this as well, I've been considering it, really hard to transport the NewXL. Can't really put it in my back pocket. When the "supposedly" NX handheld comes out, I'll probably go smaller for this reason alone.

batrush

No. I found it to be an improvement in almost every category. Most notably comfort and build quality. I've bought a second regular-sized unit ever since I sold my New XL.

Lagamorph

After I went from a 3DS to a 3DS XL I could never go back. When New 3DS came along there was no hesitation with deciding to go for the XL version. Sure I'd lose out on being able to swap cover plates, but they weren't worth it.

I did go from a DSi XL to 3DS, but at that time there was no XL version for 3DS available, so it was that or nothing. Had the 3DS XL been available from the start, I'd have gone for it instantly.

If the 3DS XL is too big for your pockets, then the problem is that your pockets are too small, not that the console is too big.

Radnom

I prefer the smaller New 3DS - I don't regret the change. It's a good middle ground between the original 3DS design and the XL. Far more portable, fits in my pocket. Face plates are a bit expensive and pointless though.

Went from an OG 3DS to a N3DS XL. I really hated the bigger screen without any sort of change to the screen resolution, I thought it looked bad. Also the N3DS XL just felt a bit more filmsy to me, screen had that wobble, too big, it just wasn't for me.

I traded down to a N3DS (Happy Home Bundle) and I have never loved the way a Nintendo handheld felt more. It has a really nice finish, which feels great in your hands. The screen size is a bit bigger then the OG 3DS, and I enjoy that. Also the build quality is just absolutely on point I replaced the Animal Crossing faceplates with some see-thru ones and the system looks wonderful.

So, basically I went from the New XL to the New small and loved the system even more.

Risette

A Good Citizen
FWIW. the N3DS is not small. It's smaller, but it's inbetween the XL and O3DS. It's not a huge shrink down to the original size.

I own an O3DS, O3DSXL, and an N3DS. The N3DS is the perfect system unless you have ginormous ogre hands.

I only bought a New XL because it was the Majora's Mask edition as I already had an Ambassador New 3DS. My XL has all my EU games and the Ambassador unit is used for emulators and imported titles but I actually prefer the New 3DS to the XL, even though I've got big hands.

The screens are big enough for me to play comfortably and the smaller size (compared to the XL) means that images look sharper. It's also lighter which makes playing in bed more comfortable.

wideface

I also have the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL, but use my small New 3DS all the time. I like how light it feels and don't really mind the screen size.

I have both. The screen size in the regular is too small. Its just barely larger than the original 3ds so dont believe the 'medium size' lies.

FWIW. the N3DS is not small. It's smaller, but it's inbetween the XL and O3DS. It's not a huge shrink down to the original size.

I own an O3DS, O3DSXL, and an N3DS. The N3DS is the perfect system unless you have ginormous ogre hands.

ThisIsNeoGAF.gif

Yep, the different opinions in this thread are exactly what I had to deal with when I made my decision.

You wont know what you like until you try both for a while, sadly.

I went 3DS -> 3DS XL -> n3DS -> n3DS XL

Although I don't think it really counts cus I do still use the n3DS. It's EU whereas my n3DS XL is US.

I can palm a basketball and I prefer the smaller New 3DS. I don't care about faceplates but I really needed it to fit in my pockets and I like the color (plain white for me) and the buttons.

Balb

It's something I'm thinking about as well. Since Nintendo's account system is terrible, I might just use the small one on the go as a carts only machine and the XL at home for my digital games. Vice versa could work too re: the carts/digital part.

Ecto311

How old are you OP? I know being 33 I have recently noticed that my eyes shit the bed after more than 20min playing the 3DS. Even with the 3d off on my n3dsxl after a bit it feels like I got sand in my eyes. Everything else at any longer distance gets blurry. Really strange since I can play with my phone for hours at a time and no problems. Can't figure out what does it. I was really wanting the smaller n3ds but thinking about it seems like a smaller screen might be worse.

phanphare

Banned
I went from an OG 3DS to an OG XL and regretted it. switched back. now I'm gonna get the regular New 3DS. I have pretty big hands too. the XL models are uncomfortable to game on for extended periods of time, especially if the game uses the shoulder buttons. the screen size was never an issue either way for me but the better pixel density is certainly a bonus.

coinmaryhelen

Neo Member
I went from an OG 3DS to an OG XL and regretted it. switched back. now I'm gonna get the regular New 3DS. I have pretty big hands too. the XL models are uncomfortable to game on for extended periods of time, especially if the game uses the shoulder buttons. the screen size was never an issue either way for me but the better pixel density is certainly a bonus.

I was soooo excited for the OGXL during my run with an OG3DS... turning it on and seeing the pixel density was really sad. Now I'm used to it and hope I don't regret going smaller, but the OG3DS definitely was more pleasant to look at than the XL IIRC

Santiako

I went from old XL to new small and I don't regret it one bit. It's big enough to be comfortable and small enough that I can actually carry the thing around.

I have small hands and I love my New XL. If you really can't decide, I would buy a New XL and if you don't like it, then just return it and buy a small New 3DS bundle.

Busaiku

Nope, glossy systems suck.
The longer charging time of New 3DS XL is also worse than the shorter battery life of New 3DS.

//ARCANUM

How old are you OP? I know being 33 I have recently noticed that my eyes shit the bed after more than 20min playing the 3DS. Even with the 3d off on my n3dsxl after a bit it feels like I got sand in my eyes. Everything else at any longer distance gets blurry. Really strange since I can play with my phone for hours at a time and no problems. Can't figure out what does it. I was really wanting the smaller n3ds but thinking about it seems like a smaller screen might be worse.

huh, never thought about this issue. I'm 31 so close to the same as you. Haven't experience this however.

and man, everyone seems super divided lol. I wish there was a store near me that had the n3DS on display so I could try it. Guess I could always buy one, see if I like it and if not, return it.

Kinda surprised by how much everyone seems split down the middle here, lol

HotHamBoy

I have an OGXL and have been considering a N3DS. What I dislike about the XL is heft, size and balance of the weight. It makes my hands cramp quickly.

3DSXL > New 3DS (purely for design reasons)

I don't miss the big screen at all. I love the form factor, and i can use the 3D on every game.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
The XL line always felt too large for my liking—much too big to be properly portable. The New 3DS brings it back to sanity while rectifying the original 3DS's shortcomings (the screens are considerably larger than the original 3DS model's). The fact that I can stick a faceplate on it that makes it look like a Game & Watch is just gravy.

Springy

I had a regular 3DS at launch, then an XL. I bought a n3DS last Feb because I thought the face plates looked like fun customization, too. I got hand cramps like crazy playing it, though I don't remember it being all that bad with the OG back in '11. I traded it for a n3DS XL and don't regret it, though I still want face plates.

May be different for you, but, if you have doubts, always take comfort over aesthetics, man.

ruddiger7

Banned
Funny how the yanks were whinging so much for not getting them and then when they do get them they are too small. I sold mine and grabbed a mmxl which is far better.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I have a o3DS XL and what I'll do is wait for my friend to get his Pokemon n3DS and try it for a bit. Depending on how much I like it, I'll either keep the Pokemon n3DS or the FE n3DS XL. My biggest worry though is losing homebrew.

Zenaku

You also have to note that the 3D effect on the normal New 3DS is lower than that of the N3DS XL. I have to hold the N3DS at roughly twice the distance to get the same depth as on my N3DS XL. Something to consider if you care about 3D.

After going OG 3DS -> 3DS XL -> N3DS, I hated how shallow 3D felt when replaying games, just recently switched to N3DS XL and loving it again.

balohna

I had a regular original 3DS and never felt a need to upgrade, but it was starting to wear out and the N3DSXL was on sale so I bought one.

My girlfriend also had an original 3DS she was happy with, but she's a huge AC fan so I got her the Happy Home Designer bundle as a gift.

I had thought I'd like the smaller N3DS more, and it's a nice unit for sure, but I'm actually glad I got the XL. It's really comfortable to hold and the screen is nice.

OP, I think if you aren't terribly picky the smaller N3DS will at least work for you. It's a nice system that remedies some issues from the older model, and is actually a little bit bigger too. No guarantee you'll prefer it to the XL, though.

Thanks for the help!

I had the original glossy new red XL in the US. Sold that, decided to get back to the 3ds, thought the new 3ds was neat and liked the smaller form factor.

I am now selling my 2 week old new 3ds bundle as I just need a bigger system for my hands. It is lighter and definitely beat with the face plates I even ordered a set.

If you are still interested I will shamelessly tell you to look at the B/S/T thread as I just listed it. Also I just bought a new black glossy XL.

//ARCANUM

I had the original glossy new red XL in the US. Sold that, decided to get back to the 3ds, thought the new 3ds was neat and liked the smaller form factor.

I am now selling my 2 week old new 3ds bundle as I just need a bigger system for my hands. It is lighter and definitely beat with the face plates I even ordered a set.

If you are still interested I will shamelessly tell you to look at the B/S/T thread as I just listed it. Also I just bought a new black glossy XL.

PM'd ;)

komorebi

I upgraded from an n3DSXL to the small n3DS and don't regret it one bit. The IPS screens are nice on my MH4U XL but the pixel density and cover plates were worth the trade off.

Top Bottom