• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone gone from New 3DS XL down to New 3DS and regretted it?

I recently picked up the HHD n3DS bundle and transferred over from my n3DS XL and I think the smaller size works better for me, mostly because it's way easier to carry/lighter/etc.

It's definitely a bit bigger than the o3DS, too. Maybe not quite "in the middle," but there is an appreciable difference.

Quick comparison pictures:

ARFveRT.jpg
f7C5tF8.jpg
hJ61YZP.jpg

I am not a professional photographer, but I hope the side-by-side comparison helps a bit.

I only went from original 3DS XL to new 3DS and loved it. The problem I really have with XL is that it is too big for what I want out of it.

phanphare

Banned
I recently picked up the HHD n3DS bundle and transferred over from my n3DS XL and I think the smaller size works better for me, mostly because it's way easier to carry/lighter/etc.

It's definitely a bit bigger than the o3DS, too. Maybe not quite "in the middle," but there is an appreciable difference.

I am not a professional photographer, but I hope the side-by-side comparison helps a bit.

the OG 3DS/New 3DS comparison is great. looks like the perfect size.

coinmaryhelen

Neo Member

That looks way bigger than OG. Makes me feel much better.
How does the battery life compare? That'd be my only other concern.

Battery life feels about the same as the XL to me, but I'm pretty bad at judging time. Not sure how it compares to the old 3DS; I haven't used that one for any extended period of time since I picked up the XL.

For what it's worth, I've never had to worry about the n3DS at all it if I put it in sleep mode.

L.O.R.D

by today standards , the normal size 3DS is very small.
like the mobile phones this days , it's rare to find some high end phone with screen 3.6
always 4.5 and 5.5

hwy_61

Banned
like the mobile phones this days , it's rare to find some high end phone with screen 3.6
always 4.5 and 5.5

This is going to sound blasphemous, but I miss the days of iPhone 4 sized phones. I've got a 6+ and I feel like I fucked up. It's too big.

coinmaryhelen

Neo Member
Battery life feels about the same as the XL to me, but I'm pretty bad at judging time. Not sure how it compares to the old 3DS; I haven't used that one for any extended period of time since I picked up the XL.

For what it's worth, I've never had to worry about the n3DS at all it if I put it in sleep mode.

I have an n3DS XL and the battery life is fine--certainly better than OG 3DS--but still I'm too used to the expectation that my electronics only need charged at night. As long as the regular size isn't any worse, I will "down"grade to the Pokemon bundle.

As an aside, the other day I was trying to fathom the OG Game Boy, which is what I used from 1990 until 1999. 4AA batteries every 15 hours... as much as I played it, my parents must have HATED me considering the amount of batteries they had to buy.

The pixel density turned out to be more important to me than I thought it would be. I went from a 2DS to a N3DSXL, and while I like the N3DSXL (I love the 3D effect now - when I tried the old 3DS XL I couldn't stand it, which is why I went with the 2DS), the pixel density really bothers me, even though the screen is supposedly better on the N3DSXL.

So I now have a Pokémon N3DS pre-ordered.

This is a personal thing, so everyone's own preference will differ - some will prefer the larger screens and size, and other will prefer the pixel density and easier portability.

It's really hard to tell someone which is better since it is subjective. Best thing is to handle both if possible and then make a decision.

komorebi

Battery is slightly less than the XL but that really comes down to the brightness setting, wifi, etc. I have it on Brightness 4 and leave the wifi off unless I'm using it and the battery lasts a good 5-6 hours, I'd warrant.

What feels better for games where you can only hold it with one hand because you have to use the stylus?

With games like Kid Icarus or the Etrian Odyssey games where you're constantly drawing the map, I think the small n3DS is the perfect weight. I'll also echo how overall it feels much sturdier and solid compared to the XL.

I played on my sisters XL and the damn thing is massive. It might as well be laptop. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want the smaller, cuter New 3DS.

does the small N3DS have that goddamn screen wobble?

Only a very slight wobble on mine, but that's the hinges naturally loosening up over time. My GFs XL unit is another story. It's very loose. Hers also makes snapping noises, whereas the hinges on mine are silent. Perhaps the mechanism is just different.

ZoronMaro

I had no idea the n3DS was in between the og3DS and the n3DS XL. I've tried both the later two and thought they were really uncomfortable (one too small the other too heavy), but I might feel differently about the n3DS, now if only any of my nearby stores had one for display.

I'd say something about how comfortable my Vita is but that's clearly off-topic

Saladinoo

I only have the new 3DS, I really wanted it for faceplates and coloured buttons, it looks so damn cute. Having said that, I've played on a friend's XL and I find the larger screen much nicer to play on - it probably outweighs the benefits of the smaller system. If I could go back, I'd probably get the XL.

Nimmermehr

Neo Member
I'm perfectly happy with the n3DS because of mobility and the Pixel Density. I had an original 3DS and an XL before and gave the latter one to my girlfriend because the low densitiy really hurts the fonts in games like Etrian Odyssey and it doesn't quite fit in my pocket.
Another reason was the strange clicking hinges on the XL, but i don't know if that is still the case with the new XL.

I went from the OG 3DS, to the 3DS XL, to the n3DS, and the n3DS is far and away the best of the three.

It's got the perfect compromise between screen size and pixel density, small enough to easily keep in a pocket, has the best ergonomics, and between the SNES coloured buttons and changeable cover plates it's aesthetically the best looking handheld Nintendo's ever made.

I absolutely love the n3DS, and would never trade it for an XL.

I've had every model of 3DS, and the regular size n3DS is my favorite. It may not be QUITE as comfy in your hands as the xl, but it fits in my pockets, and thus is infinitely more comfy in pockets. Also, faceplates and crisper screens. And SFC buttons. Also white.

In short the minor size downgrade is, IMO, worth it for everything else.

I'm over forty and am really starting to have trouble focusing on things very close-by.
The problem is, the distance to hold the N3DS to get the least ghosting is too close for me to focus on the screen properly. I guess that would be less of a problem with the N3DSXL.

I suppose reading glasses might help, but they probably interfere with the eye-tracking.

Ecto311

For you hand cramp people - ever try one of these?

Grip-strength-exercises.jpg

I used to have one on my desk in the dopey office job I had for 3 years. Seemed to help with just about everything. Felt better typing and playing games.

inner-G

Banned
always 4.5 and 5.5
By today's standards, the 3DSs screen resolution is more comparable to something you'd see built onto a color printer or refrigerator than a common smartphone. Phones are about 720p minimum and have been for a while

I know this is an ultimate first world problem, but I'm just wondering if anyone went from n3DS XL down to n3DS and was either happy with the decision or regretted it?

Thanks for the help!

Buy the normal size 3DS since there are various benefits:

- More portable.

- A vast array of customization options. Wooden and felt plates feel great in the hands.

- Better DPI for a more clear image.

If you are having problem with the system ergonomics at this size just buy a grip.

So buy the normal size withouth much worries. The Pokemon ones come with really nice face plates. Then grab some extra ones when you travel to Japan.

Let us know your decision in this thread, please.

This is an interesting thread, because I'm considering buying a N3DS via the Pokemon bundle. I have an XL that I got as a gift, and will likely keep it as my main, but would keep the Pokemon one as my better one/pristine one.

If I'd bought them both at the same time, I would've used the Pokemon one as the one I take with me (something I don't do yet because of my OCD, but if I had two, I would) but it'll be the newer one so that doesn't make sense to do that.

I have both a n3ds and n3dsxl. I prefer playing on the club but I like the size of the regular for carrying around. It's a toss up for me. That's why I bought both lol.

I'm over forty and am really starting to have trouble focusing on things very close-by.
The problem is, the distance to hold the N3DS to get the least ghosting is too close for me to focus on the screen properly. I guess that would be less of a problem with the N3DSXL.

I suppose reading glasses might help, but they probably interfere with the eye-tracking.
Save for using some crazy Elton Jhon type of frames or lens without anti reflective coating, the eye tracking works surprisingly when using glasses. Even using glasses in dark conditions and it keeps the effect rather well.

Josh5890

I went from an original 3DSXL to a n3DS back in September and I don't regret it. But I can undestand why some people like the bigger screen.

Memory

I have both a n3ds and n3dsxl. I prefer playing on the club but I like the size of the regular for carrying around. It's a toss up for me. That's why I bought both lol.

How do you handle your account, just keep transferring? or do you have two accounts and only play certain games on the designated 3ds?

dolabla

I'm about to go from old XL to N3DS. I got the Pokemon N3DS bundle on pre-order. I used to have a N3DS XL, but I sold it and transferred all my stuff back to the old 3DS XL. I'm ready to try this N3DS out. That's the one I always originally wanted since I already had an old XL.

If anyone knows, can someone tell what the difference is between these screen protectors? Are there any other differences besides the no air bubbles?

N3DS Hori Zero Air Pitahari Screen Protector: http://www.play-asia.com/zero-air-pitahari-filter-for-new-3ds/13/70876r

N3DS Hori Standard Screen Protector: http://www.play-asia.com/standard-film-for-new-3ds/13/70876t

I already started ordering accessories for the N3DS and ordered the Zero Air Pitahari screen protectors since it was cheaper, but I would still like to know.

I know this is an ultimate first world problem, but I'm just wondering if anyone went from n3DS XL down to n3DS and was either happy with the decision or regretted it?

I had the MM N3DSXL and sold it for the smaller N3DS and though I do enjoy the portability I pre ordered the FE Fates N3DSXL because the battery on the smaller unit is sadly much smaller that I had to bring down the power settings on the unit to prevent it from running out as I was used to the longer lasting unit, also the bigger screen is missed.

Save for using some crazy Elton Jhon type of frames or lens without anti reflective coating, the eye tracking works surprisingly when using glasses. Even using glasses in dark conditions and it keeps the effect rather well.

That is good to know. I don't need reading glasses for normal reading yet and I still have to get used to the idea of eventually needing them :^)

Shenmue

Banned
With games like Kid Icarus or the Etrian Odyssey games where you're constantly drawing the map, I think the small n3DS is the perfect weight. I'll also echo how overall it feels much sturdier and solid compared to the XL.

Thanks! That's all I needed to hear to make the switch. It seems like most of the games I play are the one handed kind like Theatrhythm and Miku.

Your mileage may vary on the hinge wobble: my n3DS hinge wobbles exactly as badly as my old 3DS XL's did. Doesn't matter when you're sitting there playing, obviously, but it certainly makes the thing feel cheap.

I took a while to adjust from the old XL to my new regular one, but I'm happy I made the switch now. The main advantage for me is just the weight; the old XL was uncomfortably heavy to hold in one hand while using the stylus with the other for games like Picross. The size doesn't really bother me at all.

One thing I will say is that you really need a third-party telescoping stylus with the n3DS. They switched to a stylus that slots in from the bottom, which limits its length to this diminutive thing that I honestly found almost un-usable. I bought some telescoping metal ones off Ebay for a few dollars and fixed the problem.

Top Bottom