• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone got any experience with the SNES clones?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I’m looking at a Hyperkin Supa Retron HD console which I believe is a hardware emulation of a SNES.
Does anyone have one? Any good?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I had a RetroN 5 for a while until I sold it. It did the trick and worked great with all of the games I own. Didn’t run into any significant issue aside from the occasional slow down in heavy combat portions of some games, but that’s to be expected with retro games. Hyperkin makes really solid products. I’m not a huge fan of their controllers, but their systems are overall good quality.

Last edited:

simpatico

I've got something similar. Handles 98% of stuff I throw at it. I've got pretty much all the SNES classics, and there is 1 among them that has a very mild audio bug with that hardware. LttP sometimes stops BGM until you get to a new room in a dungeon. So you'll be affected for maybe 1 min, might happen once per dungeon.

Variahunter

Depends. Do you intend to play with original cartridges ?

I have the Super NT and the Analogue Pocket with Pocket Dock.

I must say that the Analogue is the best piece of hardware imo, portability is a strong factor and the new filters for basically all cores are the best on my OLED TV.

With the Analogue Pocket, you get all 8 bits and 16 bits consoles on the go and on TV screen + almost all the arcades one from the 90 (CPS1, CPS2 + a lot of specific ones).

Core development support is really active for Pocket, cores are getting updated and added all the time.

simpatico

As far as I can although I was horrified to see the price of a genuine US Chrono Trigger.
I don't mind throwing in repro's of really expensive stuff like this. Hell I didn't even want to shell out $70 for FFIII(VI) and grabbed a repro on eBay with a sweet FF VI label sticker. $40-50 is about my limit. Repro's can be had on ebay for $25.

Ulysses 31

I don't mind throwing in repro's of really expensive stuff like this. Hell I didn't even want to shell out $70 for FFIII(VI) and grabbed a repro on eBay with a sweet FF VI label sticker. $40-50 is about my limit. Repro's can be had on ebay for $25.
Might as well get an Everdrive/FXPAK if he doesn't care to play the authentic cartridges.

simpatico

Might as well get an Everdrive/FXPAK if he doesn't care to play the authentic cartridges.
Lot more economical for sure. I like having the individual carts. It's an irrational hobby, but they sure look nice in a stack and make my little retro corner a lot comfier. Even planning on grabbing some custom plastic SNES cases from a guy on etsy.

StereoVsn

Depends. Do you intend to play with original cartridges ?

I have the Super NT and the Analogue Pocket with Pocket Dock.

I must say that the Analogue is the best piece of hardware imo, portability is a strong factor and the new filters for basically all cores are the best on my OLED TV.

With the Analogue Pocket, you get all 8 bits and 16 bits consoles on the go and on TV screen + almost all the arcades one from the 90 (CPS1, CPS2 + a lot of specific ones).

Core development support is really active for Pocket, cores are getting updated and added all the time.
I really wish it had a bit bigger screen though, well and was actually available to buy, lol.

Krathoon

Yeah. The Super NT is great. I love the boot up on it. I really should play it more.

I need to get a list of SNES games to play. Anyone have a curated list with hidden gems?

Top Bottom