• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here in the Air Force?

Thanks for all the answers guys

I'm hoping I can ask the recruiter for an estimated wait time before I even sign up.

I'm not working right now, and without a car in FL, it's impossible to get anywhere, so having months of downtime would not be ideal for me.

Also, this is a silly question, but I wanted to ask about muscle loss in Basic.

I do hear how the dudes who are in shape going in, leave out of shape due to the lack of proper nutrition and physical training. Are those claims exaggerated?

Its not something that'd stop me from going, but it'd be nice to know before hand. Plus I'm assuming you can work out and eat all you want once you're in tech school?

In basic, it's mostly cardio. Running, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and etc. Pretty much anything that doesn't require equipment or weights. The food is good, but you only eat at certain times a day. Plus they are rushing you, so you really don't have time. You'll probably drop some weight since you are eating less, but your body is still being taxed by all the stress (physically and mentally). Once you're at tech school. You can go to the gym and eat whenever again. Basic is only eight and a half weeks anyways (it was only six and a half when I joined, lol).

Ourobolus

Banned
Those Lts were the fucking worst. I just wanted to be like sir, you don't know what you're talking about. The best officers I had were always the ones that were prior enlisted.

I hate to say I've disliked officers but I've developed a disdain for the ones that come straight outta the academy. The OTS and ROTC ones were usually the more laid back ones.

But then again I've met newly pinned E5s who love the fact they're NCOs now and go "it's SERGEANT now, airman". Power trips galore.

Lmao.

I commissioned out of ROTC. I knew early on that my SNCOs (and NCOs) were the ones who knew their stuff, my job was basically to stop shit from rolling downhill so that they and the Airmen could do their jobs.

Holy shit it was hilarious watching some of the Academy guys act like they were hot shit in front of the Chiefs. The Maj/LtCols would just lean back and watch the Chiefs rip the LT a new one.

It's the entire career field. I actually had a MSgt tell me that you need to look out for yourself because this career field eats their people alive.

Damn, that is bad. I'm in the intel field, but we only have certain bases where it sucks to be at. The others are much better in comparison.

Those Lts were the fucking worst. I just wanted to be like sir, you don't know what you're talking about. The best officers I had were always the ones that were prior enlisted.

This is so true. Our best commander (and probably will be my favorite in my AF career) was prior enlisted and knew what we wanted and needed. He never let any bullshit policies get past him. You rarely get officers that are that high up and still know how to be grounded. He is one of the few guys that inspire me to commission.

The new Lts fresh out of college? Stayed getting hated. There are a few that learn how to be more laid back and cool, though.

Magwik

Banned
So for those who are in, am I better off going to a recruiter asap, or waiting until I'm much closer in shape to be able to join?

So for those who are in, am I better off going to a recruiter asap, or waiting until I'm much closer in shape to be able to join?

It never hurts to go talk to a recruiter early. You could be in DEP for months. I was in it six months before I went to basic. Plus you don't have to be in pristine shape, it'll make basic easier though. You'll definitely be in shape after basic. One of the goals of basic is to get you fit and ready for the military.

Magwik

Banned
It never hurts to go talk to a recruiter early. You could be in DEP for months. I was in it six months before I went to basic. Plus you don't have to be in pristine shape, it'll make basic easier though. You'll definitely be in shape after basic. One of the goals of basic is to get you fit and ready for the military.
Well I mean I don't even come close to meeting the weight requirement for my height, is what I'm specifically talking about.

Well I mean I don't even come close to meeting the weight requirement for my height, is what I'm specifically talking about.

It never hurts to go talk to a recruiter. They aren't going to kick you to the curb. You can get information if the Air Force is truly something you want to do. Then if it's something you really want, start on losing the weight. Recruiters are pretty cool for the most part (some are shady just trying to hit their quotas), but a lot of them will help you out.

Thanks for all the answers guys

I'm hoping I can ask the recruiter for an estimated wait time before I even sign up.

I'm not working right now, and without a car in FL, it's impossible to get anywhere, so having months of downtime would not be ideal for me.

Also, this is a silly question, but I wanted to ask about muscle loss in Basic.

I do hear how the dudes who are in shape going in, leave out of shape due to the lack of proper nutrition and physical training. Are those claims exaggerated?

Its not something that'd stop me from going, but it'd be nice to know before hand. Plus I'm assuming you can work out and eat all you want once you're in tech school?

You do a lot of cardio and if you don't eat like shit (there are options for chow) you'll lose weight.

Tech school you can eat and work out whenever but you still PT test

I'm in the Air Forces. I, however, had a shitty recruiter and got stuck with the soul devouring services job.

Make sure you got a job before you go in.

J_Viper

Thanks again for all the replies folks

I'm bumping this thread because I'm starting to worry about something I maybe shouldn't worry about, and maybe someone here with more knowledge on the matter can put my mind at ease

Earlier today I called up a recruiting office to know if I can make an appointment for more information about the AF.

The man I spoke to on the phone stated that before I can make those arrangements, I'd have to take a practice ASVAB test. He sent me a direct text asking for my info, including my social security number, to verify my ID before sending me a link to the practice test via email.

Without thinking about, because I'm an idiot, I sent him all the info. He later got back to me with the link for the practice test, which is legitimate.

However, upon returning home I learn about this business with Trump and Iran. Yeah, no thanks.

I was on the fence before, but that was kinda the shocking reminder that joining the armed forces during the current administration probably isn't the best idea, and maybe I'd be better off working a dead end retail job

My worry is, this dude now has my social, and I'm panicking that if I go ghost on him, he can somehow mess with my life with that information.

I know this is probably silly to think, but I can't help but worry.

I have not signed a single document or been at the recruiting office in person if that makes a difference.

TL;DR: Recruiter has my social security number, can he use that against me in anyway if I no longer want to join?

EYEL1NER

TL;DR: Recruiter has my social security number, can he use that against me in anyway if I no longer want to join?
No.
I mean, I can't think of a single thing the recruiter could do to screw with you. The worst thing that could happen if you decide to completely just blow them off right now is that you might get an occasional phone call asking if you are still interested or some pamphlets in the mail or something. It's not like he can sign you up without you knowing and you'll get a knock on the door one day saying it's time to report to BMT or anything. He isn't gonna risk his job by stealing your identity for personal gain or selling your info off.
Like, if you want to be done with it, you can literally be done right now; just ignore any future calls. If it's a pushy recruiter, then they may call a lot to try to make the sale. You could at least call them and thank them for the info and time and say that you are going to follow a different route instead, it's probably the polite thing to do, but not required.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm starting to worry about something I maybe shouldn't worry about, and maybe someone here with more knowledge on the matter can put my mind at ease

Earlier today I called up a recruiting office to know if I can make an appointment for more information about the AF.

The man I spoke to on the phone stated that before I can make those arrangements, I'd have to take a practice ASVAB test. He sent me a direct text asking for my info, including my social security number, to verify my ID before sending me a link to the practice test via email.

Without thinking about, because I'm an idiot, I sent him all the info. He later got back to me with the link for the practice test, which is legitimate.

However, upon returning home I learn about this business with Trump and Iran. Yeah, no thanks.

I was on the fence before, but that was kinda the shocking reminder that joining the armed forces during the current administration probably isn't the best idea, and maybe I'd be better off working a dead end retail job

My worry is, this dude now has my social, and I'm panicking that if I go ghost on him, he can somehow mess with my life with that information.

I have not signed a single document or been at the recruiting office in person if that makes a difference.

It would be illegal for him to do anything without your permission. You're fine.

Also, in my view, you'd be better off joining the Air Force than working a dead end retail job. Very few jobs in the Air Force are actually combat oriented. Don't let the current administration scare you away from joining.

Deviousx

If it was a legit recruiting office, you have nothing to worry about. When I enlisted into the Marines I had to do the same thing over the phone. Be prepared to give your social security number about a thousands times during your enlistment process and also while you're in.

About the Trump and Iran deal, if you go sign up as a POG, you'll probably never see combat. Qualify for a nice desk job and you're straight. You get paid, fed, sheltered, and meet some good friends. Being a Grunt in the Marines is pretty terrible. Lots of friends tried to talk me out of it because they knew what's up. But I was young, stubborn and felt I had to prove something by going Infantry. And in the end, no one gave two shits. Civilians see Marines and that's it. They don't know the difference between Infantryman and POGs. Shitty humps, going to the field, long work hours, FIELD DAY, and a whole bunch of other non-sense. It's pretty easy being a Lance Corporal though. Pretty much do as your told. Hurry up and wait. 15 minutes, to 15 minutes, to 15 minutes prior. All that shit. As someone said, don't do Security Forces.

The military isn't for everyone. I've seen buddies attempt suicide, people having massive back/knee problems (due to humps with heavy ass packs), and wife/girlfriend relationships go to shit. And depending on where you're stationed, you'll probably go long stretches without seeing your family. But you'll definitely feel a sense of pride after graduating boot camp. My mom was also pretty scared for me, but I remember the day I graduated boot camp, I saw them come down from the stands and there wasn't a dry eye around me. My dad, who doesn't show much emotion and was very strict when I was growing up, was crying because he was so proud of me. And your reasons for joining are the same ones I had. I didn't do it for myself, I did it for my family. Even if at times this job can suck ass, if my fam happy, then I'm happy. My mom and dad always tell their friends about how I'm in the Marines. It's embarrassing, but I don't blame them. They're proud of their son. I'm sure your mom will come around to it too. Plus, I'm doing 4 years so I can use that GI bill to go back to school.

Depending on the job you want, you could ship next month, or in 12 months. I had to wait 9 months before I went to boot camp because I wanted to go Infantry. If you're serious about this, tell your recruiter and he/she will try to make sure you get pushed through the door as fast as possible. Think about it... But don't waste their time, or yours. That one job you want might be open, and it'll help you ship out faster, but if you sit on it for too long, you might miss your opportunity because some other poolee snatched that job before you could. And then you'll be playing the waiting game again.

Good luck. Bless.

I’m in the National Guard and it’s a mixed bag. I don’t care for the military itself as an institution but it pays a huge portion of my school and my GI Bill basically means I have free housing and a lot of disposable income while I’m in school. I also got a pretty large enlistment bonus (5 figures). Going to Airborne school and jumping from planes and helicopters has been the best part so you will have opportunties to do cool things civilians would never have the chance to. The worst part is probably the limits you take on your freedom of speech. I.E., not being able to publicly call Trump a POS.

And honestly, none of the basic levels of training are really hard if you try. It can get very tedious and annoying but as long as you aren’t hurt, your body can and will accomplish everything you need it to.

People have already said to talk to a recruiter and to pay close attention to your contract as recruiters will straight up lie and mislead you.

Top Bottom