• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone use their parking brake? Because I never have.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
So, every time I borrow my dad’s truck, I park it on a semi-steep driveway. I always forget to set the parking brake, but when I drive it, the parking brake is set which means my dad sets it every single time.

Ive never once set a brake on an automatic transmission. Manuals? Sure. But never an automatic. Is that bad? I’ve never even heard of a car coming out of Park and rolling down a hill. It seems to be something that only happens in movies.

Vyse1800

I drive a truck and always set the parking brake on a incline or decline. It's a habit same as locking the doors.

Last edited:

SketchyGamerMan

Neo Member
Only if I'm on a hill. If it's flat I can't imagine there being an issue, but maybe I'm wrong? I always forget when I have the parking brake on anyways so better not to use it unless I have to.

black_13

Banned
Every time you park without using your parking brake it damages your transmission a little bit. It’s the whole reason AAMCO has been in business all these years.
yup. If you don't set the parking brake then your transmission is basically holding the whole weight of the truck. If you're on flat ground it's not as bad but down or uphill and it can wear out your transmission. Those small transmission gears can eventually wear out and if they happen to fail while you are parked then your car will roll downhill and cause damage.

HoodWinked

I always forget to pull the parking brake before putting it into park.

If you put it into park first it's already fucked lol

nush

I’ve never even heard of a car coming out of Park and rolling down a hill. It seems to be something that only happens in movies.

It actually happened to my brother. It was a manual and he did put on the handbrake but it was a hot day so when the engine had cooled it was just enough for the cooling metal to slip the break. Rolled down the hill and through my neighbors fence. It really was one of those "I didn't think that really happens" moments.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only on weird inclines.

Never had an issue with my brakes.

Ive never even changed the brake pads in any of my cars ever and never had an issue with shitty breaks. Aside from getting flat tires, I've also never bought new tires due to balding treads. Then again I only drive about 25000 km per year and never have a car more than about 5-6 years. Never had issues with tires either. And these are default all-season tires that come with the car. Never spun out in winter either.

If you take good care of your car, don't drive it too much into the ground and don't do dumb shit in winter trying to gun it on icy roads, a lot of these hassles aren't needed.

Treat your car well, do the scheduled oil changes, tire rotation and those $200 maintenance packages every so often and that's fine.

MastAndo

I had to engage the parking brake to set up Android Auto for the first time on my new phone, and I'm not ashamed to admit it took me a second to find it. It's just a small switch on newer cars. Fine, I'm a little ashamed.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Never, but my 2019 rav 4 automatically puts in the parking break when you park. So that’s.. kinda doing it?

Cracklox

I've always owned manuals so yeah, park brake is just force of habit. Use it alot for hill starts too

Only on weird inclines.

Never had an issue with my brakes.

Ive never even changed the brake pads in any of my cars ever and never had an issue with shitty breaks. Aside from getting flat tires, I've also never bought new tires due to balding treads. Then again I only drive about 25000 km per year and never have a car more than about 5-6 years. Never had issues with tires either. And these are default all-season tires that come with the car. Never spun out in winter either.

If you take good care of your car, don't drive it too much into the ground and don't do dumb shit in winter trying to gun it on icy roads, a lot of these hassles aren't needed.

Treat your car well, do the scheduled oil changes, tire rotation and those $200 maintenance packages every so often and that's fine.

This is true for alot of makes of newer vehicles, but I take you've never owned a French car more then a few years old. Shit gets expensive. At least where I am.

royox

Of course I always park with the PARKING brake. Is this "non parking with parking brake" an american thing? Here in EU is like "duh of course you use it".

The hand brake? Every single time. I'm honestly kind of shocked anyone wouldn't. It's a basic safety feature that requires maybe two seconds and a functional memory.

Quite frankly I'm concerned that anyone careless and/or forgetful enough not to use it is operating a vehicle.

I can only hope this is primarily an American thing, where your highway code and driving test standards are merely lacking.

notseqi

What’s a parking break?
Can be a manual handle you pull up to engage (handbrake) or a button you press, or in the case of my last few cars, pull up like an electric window, also known as e-brake.
It makes the brakes engage, usually on the rear of the car, and does some heavy lifting which would usually produce a bit of wear on the transmission.

xrnzaaas

I drive a manual and I use the handbrake every single time. I've witnessed many situations when someone forgot about it and the car rolled down and blocked the road or caused an accident.

Thaedolus

Always, regardless of which car I’m driving (manual or auto). I hate the feeling of my car bouncing in park or on first gear when I let off the brake pedal.

I never drove an automatic car, most cars in europe are manual with a shift stick. I never use the parking brake/handbrake. I just leave it in gear.

Last edited:

Woffls

Always. Only ever driven manual so I don't know what the difference is with automatic.

I push the button in as well because people can hear that shit and it's annoyyyyinnggg.... to me, at least.

Amory

just on hills.

i've never heard anyone say that you're supposed to always use it if you have an automatic transmission

SpartanN92

Banned
Can be a manual handle you pull up to engage (handbrake) or a button you press, or in the case of my last few cars, pull up like an electric window, also known as e-brake.
It makes the brakes engage, usually on the rear of the car, and does some heavy lifting which would usually produce a bit of wear on the transmission.

lol thanks but I was joking

When I drove a manual for sure, man I miss driving a manual.
I don't with my automatic, but i live in the boring flatness of the Florida Hellswamps.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Modern automatics now activate it when you go into park. You can manually toggle it off, but yeah, that sucker always goes on.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So, every time I borrow my dad’s truck, I park it on a semi-steep driveway. I always forget to set the parking brake, but when I drive it, the parking brake is set which means my dad sets it every single time.

Ive never once set a brake on an automatic transmission. Manuals? Sure. But never an automatic. Is that bad? I’ve never even heard of a car coming out of Park and rolling down a hill. It seems to be something that only happens in movies.
I would understand more in manuals if you just throw the first gear and leave with at that, but in automatic, that's probably already taken care of by swtiching to a parking position, no?

I have a automatic now and well, I don't drive currently so I don't know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom