• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone use their parking brake? Because I never have.

notseqi

Mercedes. My friends Jeep has it also.

Disengages automatically when put in drive and the gas peddle is pressed.
Disengage has been around for a long time, was interested in which circumstances the eBrake would be engaged.

Mihos

Gold Member
Disengage has been around for a long time, was interested in which circumstances the eBrake would be engaged.

When its in park and the ignition is turned off.

Edit: Here is the full list of conditions, mine is automatic, didn't know anything about the manual shift

You can turn it off in the dash menu.

It has been around since at least 2016, since that is what my buddies jeep is.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
Thanks , did not know about that. Don't remember having that in S- or C-classes up to 2014, neither in a Jaguar F-type. I'm a notorious parking-brake engager though.

I have been looking pretty hard at F-types, but just don't have any history with Jaguar. I need to decide by next spring.

notseqi

I have been looking pretty hard at F-types, but just don't have any history with Jaguar. I need to decide by next spring.
It was aight for two years but phone connection kept cutting out through the entertainment system, not good if you are on a work call or, as we have right now, a f-ton of telcos. Jaguar was not interested in fixing the problem though the mechanics seemingly did their best.
Gave it back, got a q7 55e for the same conditions, all good so far.
Not hearing a lot of good from LR, Jaguar and McLaren-owners since forever.

Gifmaker

Like the majority of people I know, I drive manual, so it's pretty much mandatory and one of the basics you learn when getting a driver's license.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Pour one out for the new old dead Pavel Chekov, he was killed by just such an event...
Anton Yelchin. I actually thought about him after I posted this. I guess I have heard of it happening after all. Such a freak accident though.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
WTF @ this thread?

People who never use their parking break?

People who for some odd reason decide that sometimes they don't? lol

Just.. use it.. always.. it becomes second nature, then you don't have to even think about it. What in the world do people think it's for?

Kadayi

Banned
All the time. I don't know how things work with Automatics, but on a manual, if the handbrake isn't on the car can roll under weight, which can be super dangerous is someones trying to get in when the Handbrake is off and it rolls back.

TheGrat1

I drive manual so yes, I have to. Even when I drive automatic I use it anyway. I notice that there is a very unpleasant *POP* from the transmission whenever a car is parked on a slope with just the parking gear and shifts into drive. I live in a mountainous area so it is a necessity.
I always forget to pull the parking brake before putting it into park.

If you put it into park first it's already fucked lol
You can put it in park first, just keep your foot on the brake before you pull the handbrake.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
The fact that you have to borrow your dads truck and can't put it back the way he uses it speaks volumes to why you're doing this to your dads truck and not your own vehicle. I've heard it more commonly referred to as the 'Emergency Break' because you know....emergencies.

There's no justification for not using it, not sure why you'd even make a post announcing doing an irresponsible thing, please change

Top Bottom