• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anything is possible if you believe in it; RE2 remake possible

Draft

How about no. Today's Capcom is garbage shit. There is no way they can produce anything that would do even the slightest justice to RE2. True fans should anti-support.

G-Fex

How about no. Today's Capcom is garbage shit. There is no way they can produce anything that would do even the slightest justice to RE2. True fans should anti-support.

You just lost yourself a customer capcom!

Capcom laughing over pre-orders from GS and BB and everywhere else: What's that?

You just lost yourself a customer

Capcom covered with money from DLC: Didn't catch that sorry.

Levito

Banned
Well, just like Mikami they also won't get Kamiya back for that, so it really doesn't make that much difference lol.

Yeah....

dawson_crying_gif.gif

Atomski

I didn't realize people saw such a difference between RE4 and 5 and 6. Same shit different number as far as I'm concerned. More or less.

There isnt much of a difference besides the coop stuff. RE4 however was a good game.. but personally I did not think it was a good RE game. I mean the game was no longer zombies and it no longer had the survival aspects of the old games. I am sure many people would totally disagree but I think its the downfall of the series. Once they went to much action it just wasnt RE anymore. But it did well so now the series will continue to go in that direction sadly :/.

I keep hoping some indie dev makes a REremake like experience.. because Capcom clearly isnt going to.

Muffdraul

You cant be serious.

*sigh* OK let's do this.

Yes, I'm serious. Compared to the bona fide classics, RE1, RE2, REmake, everything from RE4 is the same shit as far as I'm concerned. More or less.

I suppose if I could force all of the misguided fools of the world who disagree with me to change their minds and conform to my opinion, maybe I would. But that's not the case.

There isnt much of a difference besides the coop stuff. RE4 however was a good game.. but personally I did not think it was a good RE game.

I have actually gone on the record many times in here to say exactly that, cheers. I've played RE4 a bunch of times and I think it's a great game taken on its own terms. But to me it felt like Mikami going "So, old school RE fan, eh? Well FUCK YOU." and shoving a big middle finger in my face. It had nothing to do with the new engine etc., it was the drastic changes in setting, tone, style, etc. And especially "Oh, Umbrella Corporation, the big evil entity that you've been working your way towards ultimately taking down eventually? Yeah, actually the government got rid of them between the last game and this one. Heh! Sorry."

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I hope this happens, and they remake RE2 using RE4-style gameplay, simply so people can finally realize what a terrible idea that is.

Though, more seriously, I don't want this. Not from this Capcpom.

Soodanim

Gold Member
See, I'm not being that specific. To me, RE4/5/6 are all the same "style". Whatever minor differences to their inventory systems or UI or whatever don't matter. I say take everything about RE2, do it in a real time 3D engine, do an over the shoulder camera, and that's it. Same inventory, same weapons, same everything. Just in a more modern engine. Wishing for Cacpcom to do a full on classic pre-rendered background RE is ludicrous, they'd never do it. Because it wouldn't sell.

I fully agree about the weapons/inventory/etc. I wouldn't want 4's, 5's, or 6's inventories in. About the movement though, moving while shooting is something that demands that the entire game (and by entire game I mean enemy movement) be changed. If you could just move backwards while shooting at some of the bosses, it would ruin them. It'd have to be 4's.

If we lived in a world where Capcom was a good company in 2012 and Remake 2 did exist, there would inevitably be some redesigned areas. But the question is: would they add toilets?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I have actually gone on the record many times in here to say exactly that, cheers. I've played RE4 a bunch of times and I think it's a great game taken on its own terms. But to me it felt like Mikami going "So, old school RE fan, eh? Well FUCK YOU." and shoving a big middle finger in my face. It had nothing to do with the new engine etc., it was the drastic changes in setting, tone, style, etc. And especially "Oh, Umbrella Corporation, the big evil entity that you've been working your way towards ultimately taking down eventually? Yeah, actually the government shut them down between the last two games. Heh! Sorry."
I think you're taking it the wrong way. Mikami didn't change the direction of the series just to say "fuck you", honestly, he probably wanted Resident Evil fans to enjoy it! That's why it's so good!

You have to remember when RE4 came out. By the early 00s the old RE formula was dried out by mediocre/awful games like CVX and Zero, and if they continued in that direction the series probably would've died.

Muffdraul

I think you're taking it the wrong way. Mikami didn't change the direction of the series just to say "fuck you", honestly, he probably wanted Resident Evil fans to enjoy it! That's why it's so good!

You have to remember when RE4 came out. By the early 00s the old RE formula was dried out by mediocre/awful games like CVX and Zero, and if they continued in that direction the series probably would've died.

I know, I was there, I've been playing RE virtually since day 1. Personally, when the mood strikes me- "I feel like playing some RE," I'll grab Zero off the shelf before RE4.

And hey, I have no problem letting a series die when it's so obviously run its course. One of the biggest problems with the industry is not knowing when to stop, and insisting on running shit deep into the Earth's crust.

Atomski

I hope this happens, and they remake RE2 using RE4-style gameplay, simply so people can finally realize what a terrible idea that is.

Though, more seriously, I don't want this. Not from this Capcpom.

Thing is no matter how bad it is they would eat it up and capcom will just continue making the crap.

Operation Racoon City sold well and I am sure RE6 will as well. Its clear the series is just not for the original survival horror fans anymore.

mediocre/awful games like CVX and Zero

Shame on you..

Risette

A Good Citizen
And hey, I have no problem letting a series die when it's so obviously run its course. One of the biggest problems with the industry is not knowing when to stop, and insisting on running shit deep into the Earth's crust.
But why let it run its course when talented people like Mikami show you can reinvent a series successfully?

That being said Capcom should either let Itsuno direct the next RE or put the series on hiatus. After RE6 I have no faith left in them. But of course it's going to sell but that won't happen.

hao chi

I didn't realize people saw such a difference between RE4 and 5 and 6. Same shit different number as far as I'm concerned. More or less.

I think the fact that RE4 had a darker and moodier environments as well as no coop made a big difference.

RE4 at least felt like it was trying to be horror, whereas I never got that feeling from RE5.

Muffdraul

But why let it run its course when talented people like Mikami show you can reinvent a series successfully?

I guess I'd prefer they push themselves a bit more and move on to something new. Devil May Cry should have been taken as a pretty clear hint.

I think the fact that RE4 had a darker and moodier environments as well as no coop made a big difference.

RE4 at least felt like it was trying to be horror, whereas I never got that feeling from RE5.

I did like the lab area of RE4. It was nice and dark and claustrophobic, which is how I like my RE. Being outdoors in the broad daylight, or in a huge open castle... not so much. Anyway, I did say "more or less." RE5 had some pretty good dark and claustrophobic stuff too.

Erethian

The REmake was a classic because of MIKAMI. Without him, RE2 HD remake/update/remix has no chance.

Not just Mikami either, but a lot of people who had been with the series from the early days. And had worked their way up to senior design roles.

Guess where these people work now!
hint, it's not at Capcom

Or it would have been fine to change the gameplay like they did and bring in some of those elements without diverting so much from the established story. At the end of CV, I was like fuck yeah let's take down Umbrella! and then we got... well, whatever the fuck happened in RE4.

Fans aren't upset over new gameplay mechanics. They're upset that it had very little to do with the other games.

legacyzero

Banned
*sigh* OK let's do this.

Yes, I'm serious. Compared to the bona fide classics, RE1, RE2, REmake, everything from RE4 is the same shit as far as I'm concerned. More or less.

I suppose if I could force all of the misguided fools of the world who disagree with me to change their minds and conform to my opinion, maybe I would. But that's not the case.

iBXCVzyB1P7JT.jpg

Muffdraul

Or it would have been fine to change the gameplay like they did and bring in some of those elements without diverting so much from the established story. At the end of CV, I was like fuck yeah let's take down Umbrella! and then we got... well, whatever the fuck happened in RE4.

Fans aren't upset over new gameplay mechanics. They're upset that it had very little to do with the other games.

The early RE4 trailers and footage from the scrapped versions in 2002/2003 looked so, so, soooo much better to me than what was eventually released.

Capcom will just turn REmake 2 into an action flick, they will add things in thinking that is makes it better like jumping or free movement or something like a behind the player camera, WRONG!

After MML3 shit I do not trust capcom.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Thing is no matter how bad it is they would eat it up and capcom will just continue making the crap.

Operation Racoon City sold well and I am sure RE6 will as well. Its clear the series is just not for the original survival horror fans anymore.

Oh, yeah... there's no doubt about that. Fortunately, even if Capcom laid down their vengeance upon RE2 in the form of an XTREME remake, there's nothing to stop me from going back and playing the original.

Muffdraul

Mikami thought they were crap and in Mikami I trust.

See, that's exactly what I remember telling myself back then. "Damn, if he decided to scrap these, just imagine how rad the final version will be!" I guess I kinda stopped trusting him after that, after realizing what poor judgement he has.

Oh btw still bitter about RE1.5 too.

Damn, I've always thought of myself as a staunch Classic RE dude who thinks RE4 and beyond are "greasy kid stuff" bullshit compared to the real thing. But I feel like a pussy n00b with all of these people seriously still wanting prerendered backgrounds and contextual tank controls. Real time 3D engine with over the shoulder camera controls are the LEAST of modern RE's sins.

Well, in fact Resident Evil: Code Veronica had real time 3D engine while maintaing the feeling of the series intact.

See, that's exactly what I remember telling myself back then. "Damn, if he decided to scrap these, just imagine how rad the final version will be!" I guess I kinda stopped trusting him after that, after realizing what poor judgement he has.

I don't know, the old formula reached it's ceiling with REmake after all and the series needed to go forward. And we got the best third person shooter EVER, so I'm not complaining.

Capcom had the chance to branch the series and they didn't...shame on them, not Mikami.

And RE2 looked much better than 1.5.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So you think supernatural hijinx would've had more to do with RE than the plagas stuff? I mean it was tangentially related until the end but it was still a... biohazard.

Why? All signs point to it being crap and scrapped because it was crap. Kamiya even bluntly stated that it got scrapped because it was shit when somebody asked him about twitter.

Too bad budgets are too big these days for development teams to go "hey, this sucks, let's start over and do it right" :(

Yeah because was still all fixed camera perspectives with contextual tank controls.
The controls in the old RE games are the opposite of contextual :p They're objective controls. Up is always forward.

as long as its the same game and not made in RE4,5's or 6's style. I still want static cameras but a option to play the same game from third person would be interesting. I just wonder how good a actual RE2 could look on next gen with cg backgrounds. It would probably look near photo realistic in every aspect...

For those of you suggesting that Capcom doesn't have it in them to do it anymore, at first I came to that conclusion before remember Revelations and realizing that there was a lot of potential in that game. Some of the best boss fights the series has ever seen were in that game (I haven't played 5), and could have easily fit in with classic RE. That being said, half of Revelations is an action game for a reason - Capcom probably doesn't have the management will to do a proper RE2.

I also think it's asking for a little much for it to be exactly like the REmake with prerendered backdrops and classic camera angles. If Capcom could produce a RE2make with a behind the back camera and 3D environments, but maintain or improve upon the Survival Horror of the original it would certainly be worthy of our attention. Saying "1080p prerendered backdrops or bust" sends the message that we're fickle.

All of this being said, I would have a great deal of concern for what this would look like. I would especially be afraid of what they would do to Leon, which I would imagine to be to use every possible avenue to try to make him look as "badass" as possible and deflate the characters that started to approach something pretty decent in RE2.

Muffdraul

So you think supernatural hijinx would've had more to do with RE than the plagas stuff? I mean it was tangentially related until the end but it was still a... biohazard.

It just looked more in line with classic RE, yet still very fresh. I didn't get too hung up on the supernatural thing, I figured maybe it was hallucination cause by the virus or a drug or whatever. Maybe I would have hated it. We'll never know.

Why? All signs point to it being crap and scrapped because it was crap. Kamiya even bluntly stated that it got scrapped because it was shit when somebody asked him about twitter.

I was really into the more modern look and was kinda disappointed they went back to the typical gothic style of the old RPD building. I'm not really bitter, I love the RE2 we ended up with. But if I had my druthers I'd live in an alternate dimension where they pushed forward with what they had and polished the turd until it became a gem. When something sucks you don't have to start over from scratch, you can improve what you have. Starting over is Mikami's trademark. Kamiya was the director, but Mikami was still calling the shots.

The controls in the old RE games are the opposite of contextual :p They're objective controls. Up is always forward.

Right, my bad. You know what I meant. =P

EDIT: Wait, no... it is contextual compared to RE4/5/6. Up always makes your character walk "forward" but it makes them walk in various directions *on-screen* relative to what the player is seeing. Technically, the change was to the camera system, not the controls.

Top Bottom