• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Canadian Tourism to US Grows

Joe T.

The number of Canadians heading south has grown this year, and the flap between Trump and Trudeau after last month’s G7 summit in Quebec didn’t change that.

Border crossing data indicates the number of Canadian motorists returning from the U.S. in June grew 12.7 percent from last year, a healthy increase, according to a license plate-scanning system used by the Canadian government.

A so-called “Trump Slump” never materialized after Trump’s election, and travel to the U.S. is growing despite anecdotal evidence that some Canadians are choosing to travel elsewhere, said Allison Wallace, of Flight Centre Canada, a travel agency with 150 locations across Canada.

“All of that being said, we’ve not seen a trade war like this, so that may change,” she said, “but as of now, the U.S. remains a very popular destination.”

Florida accounts for the largest number of visitors from the north, typically snowbirds in the winter. New England is also a popular destination, and beaches like Old Orchard Beach and Hampton Beach, New Hampshire, are an easy drive from Canada’s Atlantic provinces.

In Old Orchard, Canadian flags are flown and many desk workers speak French. Fries are served up Canadian-style, topped with vinegar, or with gravy and cheese.

For now, the value of the Canadian dollar is having a bigger impact than the flap between the leaders. The loonie is currently worth only 76 cents in the U.S.

More at the Associated Press.

A little more positive news for the US amid all the negative media coverage that seems to attract the most attention these days.

DiscoJer

Well, as the article says, it's mostly Florida (i used to live there and it's crazy how many there are) and snowbirds aren't going to drive to Mexico

Super Mario

Banned
Fake news. The news tells us that Canadians want nothing to do with our country because of our big, orange, baby, president. They want to stay in Canada where it is safe with good guy Trudeau.

NickFire

Hmmmm, this can't be real. I could swear that everyone in the US was moving to Canada, and that Canadians were supposed to boycott the US. Are you suggesting those people were hyperventilating children just stomping their feet when they didn't get their way?

HarryKS

Surprising considering the current exchange rate is very disadvantageous for Canadians.

More Americans coming here would make a lot of sense. Economically speaking.

Joe T.

Well, as the article says, it's mostly Florida (i used to live there and it's crazy how many there are) and snowbirds aren't going to drive to Mexico

It is in winter, but I know that during the summer months Quebec's southern border is always heavily traveled. I've seen people jokingly refer to Plattsburgh, NY as a Montreal suburb, a tiny town of 20,000 or so with a median age of 29 that makes for an easy beach and shopping destination, provided the currency exchange rate isn't as bad as it is now. I've been there probably close to a couple dozen times myself with friends and family, usually just to have a chill weekend.

Surprising considering the current exchange rate is very disadvantageous for Canadians.

More Americans coming here would make a lot of sense. Economically speaking.

Yep, but I imagine it doesn't play a big enough detractor for those just aiming to spend some time at the beach, like those heading to Old Orchard. You couldn't pay me enough to jump in the St. Lawrence River, like Montreal's mayor recently did, unless there's a hazmat team nearby.

Tesseract

Banned
they visit america to escape the communist clutch of trudeau's (son of fidel castro) fascist state.

this is the info war.

Humorous of folks to assume that basic tourism would somehow be effected by two leaders not being fond of each other. The news fails to mention that most folks don't take politics that seriously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom