• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada warns immigrants facing deportation in the US

dolabla

http://www.newsweek.com/want-move-canada-canadian-immigration-officials-say-you-shouldnt-672253

Canada’s latest message to immigrants in fear of facing U.S deportation: Don’t rely on us for refuge.

Earlier this month, a top lawmaker with Canada’s governing party met in Los Angeles to discuss with members of the local Hispanic immigrant community the fear many have of being deported, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday. Pablo Rodriguez, a Liberal member of Parliament in Quebec, told the group that their first reaction should not be to get up and make the move to Canada.

“It’s really important before making any decisions that they understand [Canadian] laws,” said Rodriguez.

Other Canadian officials are also warning people in the U.S. that they might not have a legal standing to move to Canada.

“We remain unwavering in our commitment to offer protection for those determined to flee war, persecution or terror,” Ahmed Hussen, Canada’s minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship, said in an interview earlier this month. “But there is a lot of false information in those communities. Not having or losing status in the U.S. is not grounds for an asylum claim.”

This new message is a shift from Canada’s previous statements on welcoming all immigrants as the Trump administration continues to tighten U.S borders. In January, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau took to Twitter and posted a tweet to potential immigrants after Trump launched a travel ban on all Muslim-majority countries.

Psh

Warnings didnt stop the hispanic community from jumping the fence to the US

It wont stop us from crossing over to Canada, eh

It's kind of crazy to think we now live in a time where fleeing from a war torn 3rd world country as a refugee has been confused by the minds of many to be the same as trying to flee from the US.

Trudeau and our government's stance has not changed. We continue to take in refugees year over year, but there is a difference between that and people trying to leave the US because of a situation they brought upon themselves.

JordanN

Banned
Canada needs more immigrants.

I've always been bothered by how low our population is. Imagine if we had 100 million people, we could probably surpass Japan.

Trudeau and our government's stance has not changed. We continue to take in refugees year over year, but there is a difference between that and people trying to leave the US because of a situation they brought upon themselves.

"Roosevelt and our government's stance has not changed. We continue to take in refugees year over year, but there is a difference between that and people trying to leave Germany because of a situation they brought upon themselves."

Give me a fucking break. A quarter of the country (almost entirely white) voting for Trump does not somehow justify human rights abuses and violence towards everyone else in the country.

the1npc

I've always been bothered by how low our population is. Imagine if we had 100 million people, we could probably surpass Japan.

Most people illegally crossing arent going to work....

We need more immigrants but not like this.

JordanN

Banned

So why did they cross in the first place?

Take in all the immigrants and just give them jobs like sweeping floors. Or my idea for immigration, make it mandatory to serve in the army for 1 year, but everything else would be paid for.

the1npc

Take in all the immigrants and just give them jobs like sweeping floors. Or my idea for immigration, make it mandatory to serve in the army for 1 year, but everything else would be paid for.

Because they are about to get kicked out of the US

That video from the cbc of the police telling nigerians at the busiest illegal crossing that they are doing something illegal and informing them of the legal process only for them to essentially say "I dont care what you have to say" and cross anyways infuriated the shit out of me.

seriously, please respect our laws, we do not depend on illegal immigrants for labour like the US and we should keep it that way (though we do have something like that with temp workers im aware of but thats legal and accounted for)

also to the posters above, we take in something like 1/4 of a million immigrants a year, which is a lot considering our population

farisr

This isn't anything different from what was said earlier. What a poorly written article/headline.

The original message was "To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength #WelcomeToCanada" and it's the same now. Just because you're facing deportation doesn't necessarily mean you'll qualify for that criteria.

JordanN said:

We just don't have the infrastructure to support it. There isn't another 65 million jobs waiting, or 65 million houses, and our actual inhabitable land compared to total land is actually really small. That's why our population is concentrated close to the border, and why the immigration problem was so bad that Quebec was housing refugees at Olympic Stadium. I think Canada should encourage immigration, but the country needs to do a lot of work to prepare for it, both in terms of influx and also procedure (the wait times for many visa procedures is long, to the point they often recommend you file from outside the country).

"Roosevelt and our government's stance has not changed. We continue to take in refugees year over year, but there is a difference between that and people trying to leave Germany because of a situation they brought upon themselves."

Give me a fucking break. A quarter of the country (almost entirely white) voting for Trump does not somehow justify human rights abuses and violence towards everyone else in the country.

That is not the same as people trying to claim refugee status from the current US, when there are actual refugees from countries where people are hunted down and killed due to war atrocities, and the like.

The US currently(while fucked up because of the continuing state of affairs and inbalance within it's own borders - I am not disagreeing with you entirely because it is ridiculous to see such a large and supposed 1st world country continue to consistently shit the bed because of greed and stupidity) is not the same as the situation in Syria, Bosnia(during the 90's), Sri Lanka(during their civil war and genocides), Somalia etc.

While no system is perfect, one of the values of the Canadian system is that it is leagues better and more fair(points based) than many others. We depend on immigration in this country, and always will, but in a manner that is fair to all. Diversity, inclusion, multiculturalism and being a strong mosaic of peoples is what we thrive on. That has and will never change.

Personally, I hope it never gets to the point of other countries across our world's history, but it's entirely apples and oranges at the current moment to compare the situation in the US to actual collapsed countries.

Also, props to the user farisr for bringing up the actual quote from January when the travel ban fuckery occured.

1000% agreed.

bring on the immigrants, we fucken need em.

been seeing more black people in VICTORIA BC of all places lately, makes me feel racist almost just how freaking happy it makes me.

i even met a hispanic man the other day, in VICTORIA!

That video from the cbc of the police telling nigerians at the busiest illegal crossing that they are doing something illegal and informing them of the legal process only for them to essentially say "I dont care what you have to say" and cross anyways infuriated the shit out of me.

seriously, please respect our laws, we do not depend on illegal immigrants for labour like the US and we should keep it that way (though we do have something like that with temp workers im aware of but thats legal and accounted for)

also to the posters above, we take in something like 1/4 of a million immigrants a year, which is a lot considering our population

is it really that many?

i was under the impression / assumption we had some of the strictest immigration laws in the world?

if we're taking in 1/4 mil every year why has our population remained stagnant ever since i was born? [okay, it's gone up 3 million since i first checked at age 10, and i'm 33 now]

slit

It's kind of crazy to think we now live in a time where fleeing from a war torn 3rd world country as a refugee has been confused by the minds of many to be the same as trying to flee from the US.

I understand Canada's position but how the fuck did they bring it on themselves?

Canada’s population isn’t supposed to grow by a whole lot more this century. It’s absolutely insane how few people live there. Almost all of the gains must be coming from immigrants, but even then it’s supposed to be under 50 million for many decades.

Canada’s population isn’t supposed to grow by a whole lot more this century. It’s absolutely insane how few people live there. Almost all of the gains must be coming from immigrants, but even then it’s supposed to be under 50 million for many decades.

yeah our population stagnancy is actually a pressing concern at the moment [and only moreso as each year goes on].

when the baby boomers die we're all gon' be fucked.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
In other words: "We don't want you here either"

In other words if you're an economic migrant, you need to follow the procedures to immigrate to Canada. You don't get special treatment over people fleeing war zones. The majority of the people illegally coming from the United States are not affected by Trump's travel ban, and aren't refugees from the world's biggest hot spots.

Vamphuntr

Yeah this is the angle played by the government both on official channels and through media. Basically to get refugee status you must prove there is danger for your life in your home country. Which is why when there was a massive influx of people from Haiti after Trump took some disgusting actions that border agents would tell them they would be welcome to try that angle but it's highly unlikely it would work. There was so many they had to set up temporary tents to house them. The camp was dismantled today too.

Otherwise if you aren't a refugee you need to follow immigration protocol and it could be hard to many of them to qualify.

These people deserve respect too. Military service is long gone here and to put it back for only some members of the population would be discriminatory.

In other words if you're an economic migrant, you need to follow the procedures to immigrate to Canada. You don't get special treatment over people fleeing war zones. The majority of the people illegally coming from the United States are not affected by Trump's travel ban, and aren't refugees from the world's biggest hot spots.

Someone needs to edit the thread OP, as this is basically the point we are all trying to make.

slit

By entering a country illegally. They should now that by doing that. They risk to get deportation.

A lot of these are people had no say in the matter and have lived in the U.S. since they were children and now have no status and were never even able to vote. Go tell them they brought it on themselves.

Heshinsi

A lot of these are people had no say in the matter and have lived in the U.S. since they were children and now have no status and were never even able to vote. Go tell them they brought it on themselves.
So it's dreamers coming across the border? Odd that many of those filmed at the border barely speak English (can't be dreamers) and aren't from countries experiencing war (not refugees). Syrian family at our border that somehow got into the US and need refuge? Let them in. Some bloke who snuck into America to make a better living for himself and now wants to move on over to Canada? There's a procedure.

So, in short, Canada likes people to follow their immigration laws. Which, if the people at risk of deportation had done so in the US, they wouldn't be at risk of getting deported.

Good on Canada for actually wanting to enforce their immigration laws. If only the US was more like Canada in that fashion.

WedgeX

Banned

Well that's just not true.

Unauthorized immigrants make up a larger share of the U.S. labor force (5% in 2014) than of the total population (3.5%) in part because they are disproportionately likely to be of working age. Fully 92% of unauthorized immigrants are ages 18 to 64, compared with 60% of the U.S.-born population and 76% of lawful immigrants.

Among unauthorized immigrants, males are more likely than their U.S.-born and lawful immigrant counterparts to be working or looking for work, while female unauthorized immigrants are less likely to be in the labor force. Fully 91% of unauthorized immigrant men ages 18 to 64 were working or looking for work in 2014, compared with 79% of U.S.-born men of similar age and 84% of lawful immigrants of similar age.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2016/11/...t-workforce-stable-after-the-great-recession/

People have been fleeing violence and civil conflicts in Central and South America to the United States for decades without being officially recognized as refugees.

CazTGG

Tell that to Seidu Mohammed: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...seeker-frostbitten-refugee-manitoba-1.4121034

Mohammed fled Ghana for the United States in 2015 fearing for that his sexual orientation would put his life in danger.

He says he was outed as a bisexual man during soccer training camp in Brazil in 2014 after the team manager found him with a same-sex partner.

In its 2016-17 report, Amnesty International found lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and (LGBT) people in Ghana face discrimination, violence and police harassment.

"It's illegal to be gay in Ghana. It's a crime," said Khan, noting the refugee board "acknowledged him as a person in need of protection."

Mohammed had applied for a refugee claim in the United States when his visa ran out, but it was denied because he couldn't pay the required bond.

Clearly it was his fault that he was outed, fled for his life from a country that sees homosexuality as a crime punishable by death and was denied refugee status because of an arbitrary fee that is designed to systemically (and disproportionately) discriminate against minorities.

ALSO: Everyone in this thread, stop using the term "illegal immigration/immigrants". There's nothing "illegal" about what they're doing. What they are is undocumented immigrants.

Heshinsi

Yes. Are they all? No, but that doesn't mean they deserved this.
They don't deserve it, but the situation Dreamers face in that the Orange Cunt wants to deport them back to countries they have never lived in, is exactly the sort of thing our immigrant system could work with. Many of them are educated, they can speak one of the two official languages fluently, and they would help our country and our economy greatly if they came here. But hopping the border isn't the way they should be doing it.

^ But your article already mentions that he won his case to stay in Canada. We can't send people back to countries where their lives are in danger if they can prove that's the case. People are talking specifically about economic migrants, which most of the people illegally crossing into Canada are.

Unfortunately, miss information is very common and it's not shocking that Canada is just not going to accept everyone. The fact only a small minority meet the definition of a refugee in Canada and the United States. Here are the five main categories:

1- based on political asylum
2- based on being a social group( religious persecuted minority, or LGBT community).
3- based on religion practice which ties with point 2.
4- persecuted race
5- nationality.

This five points that define a refugee are recognize in Canada and the US. It's hard to believe 50k Haitians qualify based on these definitions of a refugee. There is no doubt a few hundred might qualify to stay in the Canada, but that's also true if they applied for asylum in the US(ignoring the ridiculous processing time). The reality is that thousands are going to be deported from Canada to their home country. In fact, I would argue that they were safe in the US with being out of status than to go to Canada. Another thing to consider is that the US department of state gave more benefits to Haitians and for longer than Canada. Canada withheld the removal of Haitians after the disaster but it actually expired in 2016. In the US is expiring soon.

slit

They don't deserve it, but the situation Dreamers face in that the Orange Cunt wants to deport them back to countries they have never lived in, is exactly the sort of thing our immigrant system could work with. Many of them are educated, they can speak one of the two official languages fluently, and they would help our country and our economy greatly if they came here. But hopping the border isn't the way they should be doing it.

I didn't say that is the way they should be doing it, I was saying they did not bring it on themselves but thanks for letting me know who is worthy and who isn't up there.

Harpuia

Sigh. This tortures me. People who come into countries illegally live off the dregs o.f society and more often than not, do not have terribly great lives. To be brushed off and told to follow the law is such an awful, cold sentiment. People who cross the border do so because it's literally all they can do.

It's a horrible system that we've created and live in. The Canadian lawmakers, despite coming off as cruel, are merely responding to the possibility that migrants will flock to Canada expecting to be treated better.

People conflate the immigration issue as one at odds with a poverty issue when they're honestly one in the same. Hence the qualification of being able to seek asylum posted above. They're not economic reasons.

I'm fairly certain I won't see a solution to this in my lifetime. Maybe I just have a lack of imagination..

Pedrito

Tell that to Seidu Mohammed: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...seeker-frostbitten-refugee-manitoba-1.4121034

Clearly it was his fault that he was outed, fled for his life from a country that sees homosexuality as a crime punishable by death and was denied refugee status because of an arbitrary fee that is designed to systemically (and disproportionately) discriminate against minorities.

And he meet the criteria for refugee status. This is not what this thread is about.

rrvv

Well I believe for those kind of case. US and Canada should give them some protection. But that another different topic

Either way. Unless they from war torn country. There is nothing stopping Canada to simply say "go back to your own country".

slit

Well I believe for those kind of case. US and Canada should give them some protection. But that another different topic

Either way. Unless they from war torn country. There is nothing stopping Canada to simply say "go back to your own country".

I mean that's fine, Canada obviously can. It's just that I've heard so much about how accepting and wanted they were there. I guess that wears out quick.

Wait? What point are you trying to make? I literally mentioned earlier that there is a difference with fleeing for your life(genocide, war, criminal atrocities) and folks who are essentially what can be considered an economic migrant due to a failure on the US's part.

This just continues to prove how our system works, and just reinforces the issues with the US in general.

We didn't even turn away those folks from Haiti who are fleeing the US, not fleeing Haiti. There were housed, fed, and had their cases documented for review, while staying at the old Expo Stadium in Montreal. However trying to jump the line versus the vast majority of refugees from dire/immediate situations is not how Canada operates. Our immigration officers even treat these folks different(at the end of the day we are all human beings, but there is a system and a process that needs to be followed) in that they try to educate them of what they are doing, and what will occur if they still proceed to cross.

You have selected one person out of many, whereas dreamers/economic migrants/whatever you wish to classify the many(versus the few), are the opposite.

ALSO: Everyone in this thread, stop using the term "illegal immigration/immigrants". There's nothing "illegal" about what they're doing. What they are is undocumented immigrants.

That article about the gay guy from Ghana seems very fishy to me. There are no fees related to applying for asylum in the United States. If they were referring to bail bond because he was arrested based on being out of status, that doesn't mean they were going to deported him. He would be put through trial in immigration court even if he was detained. It's not simply denied because he couldn't pay a fee.

Edit: the fact he was free to cross to Canada on foot indicate they weren't referring to immigration detention fees. Might be lawyer fees? Who knows.

CazTGG

And he meet the criteria for refugee status. This is not what this thread is about.

My point is that, contrary to the poster I was replying to, blaming them for the current outcome i.e. crossing the border between the U.S. and Canada as if being in America automatically means they're safe or that it's their fault for ending up in their current predicament when there are factors they can't control and thus may require them to seek refuge in Canada out of fear for being deported from the United States is grossly misinformed surrounding the people who are seeking said refugee status, not to mention the current treatment of said individuals once they cross the border before many of them can apply for refugee status. While Seidu was lucky enough to win his case, other people crossing our border, many of whom also fled out of fear of deportation from the United States thanks to the rotting orange, do not have their cases approved and/or are being held indefinitely in detention centers with little recourse for applying as an economic immigrant or so on, to say nothing of the conditions they faced before they could apply.

EMT0

Banned
Agreed. Illegal immigrants are typically very hard working people. Unfortunately, due to their inability to get good paying jobs legally, they typically don't make much money and end up being net recipients of government aid, rather than a boon to the economy at large.

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

Where'd you get that one from, Facebook? It goes against everything I've ever read on the net benefits of immigration.

ITT, people show their asses by assuming people likely to face deportation in the US are all uneducated day laborers who chose to border hop for a quick buck.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
At most maybe you can theoretically say that if not for all the provisions specifically saying not to give government benefits to undocumented immigrants, than maybe undocumented immigrants could be a net negative because there's not much data to support that either way? But there is no way to use the data available to say that undocumented immigration has been a net negative to canada or america.

I think Australia in the past came closest to that level of openness, and they didn't really see that net negative, which was explained away by conservatives by geography, until nationalism took over Australia and made it no longer a good example of open immigration.

We just don't have the infrastructure to support it. There isn't another 65 million jobs waiting, or 65 million houses, and our actual inhabitable land compared to total land is actually really small. That's why our population is concentrated close to the border, and why the immigration problem was so bad that Quebec was housing refugees at Olympic Stadium. I think Canada should encourage immigration, but the country needs to do a lot of work to prepare for it, both in terms of influx and also procedure (the wait times for many visa procedures is long, to the point they often recommend you file from outside the country).

Eh, this argument on Jobs has always been a shaky argument. Right now we don't have a need for 65million available jobs, so we haven't bothered to make them. If more people come in, that's more people paying into the economy and more jobs that will be needed and created to serve those people. It also ignores immigrants starting their own businesses or becoming self-employed.

You have a point when it comes to housing, in fact it's the most difficult, legitimate problem that would come of rapidly increasing the population.

As for Inhabitable Land, that is a throwup topic. At our current technological level, we can build houses anywhere. We could build a city on a swamp if we wanted to, put one in the far north or in the middle of the hudson bay or great lakes. Thats not a problem. The main issue is that our best farmland is in Southern Ontario. But even then, we dont use 100% of the best farmland area. There is a ton of locations that are perfect for farmland in Southern Ontario which are still completely forested. Locations that would be prime land for farming if only we had the economical or logistical need to use it. Thats before you even get into the fact that push comes to shove, Greenhouses are perfectly valid forms of agriculture and we could chuck those in Alert Nunavut (Hyperbole example, because if you wanted the most efficient greenhouse you would place them near the USA Border for easy maintenance and better growing conditions for the agriculture inside for a year round growth).

Worst case scenario though, you make the Major cities across Canada more denser, or if we really wanted to shove everyone in Southern Ontario, Expand Ottawa more westward into the Canadian Shield, completely fill up areas around Lake Ontario and throw a bunch at Windsor/Sarnia. Build up Sault Ste Marie or Sudbury as a major city. Of course though, Canada isn't just Ontario and I'm sure we can find plenty people who would be willing to move to some of our other World Class cities.

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

Where'd you get that one from, Facebook? It goes against everything I've ever read on the net benefits of immigration.

ITT, people show their asses by assuming people likely to face deportation in the US are all uneducated day laborers who chose to border hop for a quick buck.

No there's established literature around undocumented immigrants -- undocumented is the key operative word here -- taking up a larger than expected share of welfare. (think it was on Vox, can't find it now).

But, children of these immigrants are on the whole far more productive than native born citizens, and more than make up for whatever resource their parents are taking up.

Heshinsi

I didn't say that is the way they should be doing it, I was saying they did not bring it on themselves but thanks for letting me know who is worthy and who isn't up there.

Dreamers aside (due to real dangers of being deported to a country they were never raised in), economic migrants have to go through the immigration process. The only people I would have no issue trying to cross our borders are people fleeing war or oppression. We didn't put out a neon sign and declare to the world, come hither all who want to come.

No there's established literature around undocumented immigrants -- undocumented is the key operative word here -- taking up a larger than expected share of welfare. (think it was on Vox, can't find it now).

But, children of these immigrants are on the whole far more productive than native born citizens, and more than make up for whatever resource their parents are taking up.
Absolutely.

Rngade85

Neo Member
As a Canadian in Ontario, why would I be in favor of letting in as many people as possible? I prefer to have free space, not to mention the benefits of less pollution and a chance for wildlife to thrive. It's what I find least appealing in most other countries and cities. We should be pushing to maintain a healthy sustainable population not looking to use every possible inch.

Eh, this argument on Jobs has always been a shaky argument. Right now we don't have a need for 65million available jobs, so we haven't bothered to make them. If more people come in, that's more people paying into the economy and more jobs that will be needed and created to serve those people. It also ignores immigrants starting their own businesses or becoming self-employed.

You have a point when it comes to housing, in fact it's the most difficult, legitimate problem that would come of rapidly increasing the population.

As for Inhabitable Land, that is a throwup topic. At our current technological level, we can build houses anywhere. We could build a city on a swamp if we wanted to, put one in the far north or in the middle of the hudson bay or great lakes. Thats not a problem. The main issue is that our best farmland is in Southern Ontario. But even then, we dont use 100% of the best farmland area. There is a ton of locations that are perfect for farmland in Southern Ontario which are still completely forested. Locations that would be prime land for farming if only we had the economical or logistical need to use it. Thats before you even get into the fact that push comes to shove, Greenhouses are perfectly valid forms of agriculture and we could chuck those in Alert Nunavut for all they cared.

Worst case scenario though, you make the Major cities across Canada more denser, or if we really wanted to shove everyone in Southern Ontario, Expand Ottawa more westward into the Canadian Shield, completely fill up areas around Lake Ontario and throw a bunch at Windsor/Sarnia. Build up Sault Ste Marie or Sudbury as a major city. Of course though, Canada isn't just Ontario and I'm sure we can find plenty people who would be willing to move to some of our other World Class cities.

Kurdel

Banned

Maybe in the US, but you can’t get welfare in Canada without a canadian citizenship.

Top Bottom