• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trudeau tones down warm welcome for migrants as Canada struggles to cope with influx

Joeytj

Banned
We had the same issue with Haitian immigrants in Mexico last year. Most were immigrants seeking better economic conditions away from Haiti, but that doesn't necessarily give you asylum-seeker status in the U.S. A bunch of them went back or kept trying to cross into the U.S. And then, Trump happened.

Here in Tijuana, we now have a new Haitian community of a few thousand just barely beginning to find a place here.

I don't know what the process for asylum in Canada is, but it doesn't seem to be that different from the U.S., even if it's less strict.

Not saying Haitians don't deserve to be helped like refugees. We all know (I hope) their country is completely incapable of giving them the necessary quality of life.

S-Wind

Doesn't northern Canada have a ridiculously low population?
What's stopping them from having them settle there? Could help the economy in that region.

I don't understand how some of the new arrivals are getting by living in Vancouver or Toronto, two of the most expensive cities on earth. When people in full-time jobs are struggling to afford to put a roof over their heads, what chance do refugees have?

I hope the gov are being sensible and looking toward spreading them out in underpopulated areas

It doesn't matter.

Refugees and immigrants, especially non-White refugees and non-White immigrants will almost always relocate to a large, ethnically diverse, metropolitan city. It's where most of the jobs are. It's where most of the support networks are. It's where most of the people from similar backgrounds are.

I speak from personal experience.

My father was one of the Vietnamese Boat People that Canada accepted as a refugee. The Canadian Government settled him in Campbell River, BC, on Vancouver Island. After he sponsored my mother and I over he resettled us in Vancouver, BC, where we have been ever since.

My aunt and her husband were settled in some town in Pennsylvania by the U.S. Government. After a few years they relocated to Los Angeles, where they have been ever since. And they sponsored the rest of their family over as well.

Dingens

Canada took in 40k Syrians the past two years, that's the third highest in the Western world after Germany and Sweden last I checked. 11k is the number that crossed in illegally from the US, not how many refugees we've taken in.

looking at the official EU numbers 40k wouldn't even get Canada into the top 5, let alone the 3rd place.

And I know that 11k is not the total number. But by comparison, way smaller (both in size and population) countries in the EU managed to take in WAY more than that.
Therefore I think it's somewhat laughable that they'd freak because of a measly 11k

looking at the official EU numbers 40k wouldn't even get Canada into the top 5, let alone the 3rd place.

And I know that 11k is not the total number. But by comparison, way smaller (both in size and population) countries in the EU managed to take in WAY more than that.
Therefore I think it's somewhat laughable that they'd freak because of a measly 11k

I was talking about accepted Syrian refugees specifically. If we're talking total, then Canada accepted 46,700 refugees in 2016, which would indeed put it in third place on that chart for that year.

There are more than 11k asylum seekers, multiple times over. Asylum seekers to Canada do not arrive from the US. There is even an agreement where if such a thing were to occur, they would be sent back to the US (which isn't being used at the moment because you-know-why). This is a new situation.

Top Bottom