• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trudeau says Canada will take will take refugees banned by the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trudeau reacted to Trump's ban of Muslims from certain countries by tweeting Saturday: ”To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength #WelcomeToCanada."

More on this here.

I feel this is great news, if you're in support of this i'd still recommend calling your local MP on Monday and let their office know you're in support of this, and maybe even bringing their families up here too if they've been separated by this.

Edit: No! Typo in the title, bah!, thats what i get for posting before i've had a coffee. If a mod could fix <3

BowieZ

Banned
This brings a tear to my eye.

How Trudeau handles standing up to Trump will be one of the most fascinating political experiences in modern history.

Unlike the Trump-May meeting, which was the most banal thing ever.

BowieZ

Banned
Canada really seems like a country with a lot of integrity.
Yep. Because it earned that integrity over decades of rational intelligent policy-making implemented by sincere, hard-working progressive politicians held to account by a well informed, safe, healthy, educated, democratically active populace...

... rather than merely attempting to steal integrity with a week of executive orders signed by a delusional irrational egomaniac.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The task now is to keep Canada on a sane political path that maintains this sober and rational tone. Defeat hard right-wing populism and maintain a dedication to truly liberal values.

We're on track right now... but keep engaged everyone. I stand on guard for thee.

People will still rather come to America than Canada
Why I don't know, Canadians seem to have it pretty good up there (like for starters they actually want to take people in)
The American dream is still strong even through the darkness.

Ahasverus

People will still rather come to America than Canada
Why I don't know, Canadians seem to have it pretty good up there (like for starters they actually want to take people in)
The American dream is still strong even through the darkness.
Canada has really though education requierements. Most global degrees are valid in the US, in Canada you are not allowed to work in your current carreer level unless you come from the US, the Commonwealth, or Europe, unless they have already given you the job of course.

RM8

Hey, don't bring Mexico into this!
Okay, you're right.

I'm Mexican and despite my country having a never-ending list of issues to solve, Mexico will never be the hate-fueled trainwreck that is the US right now. Enrique Peña Nieto is generally an inept clown but he's magnitudes better than the orange turd, I can't even bring myself to compare them.

BowieZ

Banned
Okay, you're right.

I'm Mexican and despite my country having a never-ending list of issues to solve, Mexico will never be the hate-fueled trainwreck that is the US right now. Enrique Peña Nieto is generally an inept clown but he's magnitudes better than the orange turd, I can't even bring myself to compare them.
I'm pretty sure most Americans would gladly take an inept clown right now.

Maybe even George W. Bush level. (So long as he isn't surrounded by Cheney and Rumsfeld. But even motherfucking CHENEY is admonishing this ban.)

Aselith

Canada is being smart enough to take the benefit of our brain drain but I don't think he's saying that they will take everyone. He's just advertising that "Hey, Canada is a country too! Come on over and apply here if dummy Trump won't take you!"

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I was once a proud American, but as time goes on, and I realize more and more just how much of America is backwards, and willingly stupid, and racist, I gradually feel more and more like I'm living in the wrong half of North America. :(

Flux

It's good taking the high road. It's weird when someone else buries themselves so deep that its just the default thing to do. I also felt voting for Trudeau and replacing Harper would be good. I didn't think he'd be one of the last bastions of sanity and well-meaning in politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom