• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently, the world's oldest human was discovered in Indonesia at the "age of 145."

Status
Not open for further replies.

segasonic

He smokes, has more hair than some 20 year olds and can still walk around. I would say he does not look like a 140 year old, but then again what does a 140 year old look like normally?
category3_family_236_large.jpg

Joni

I would like to know more about this.

I'd be really interested to know if there was a way to determine age or identity without relying on comparisons to relatives, let alone documentation.

Their new technique uses radiocarbon dating to measure special proteins known as lens crystallines that develop around birth and remain unchanged for the rest of our lives. They are the only part of the body apart from teeth that do so.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eyes-birth-idUSL191872320080219

Qvoth

ehh i dunno, i'm expecting someone over 140 to look considerably much older than that
he looks like someone who's over 100, but not 140

LeleSocho

Banned
Don't know... he doesn't look 145 years old and the fact that he manages to walk is a bit fishy.
Still, could you imagine living one and a half century?

Mr.Mike

145 seems a bit too high, and I agree that it's much more likely that the records are faulty. At the same time it's also easy to imagine that there would be some people in countries with poor record keeping who are indeed older than the current record, especially considering the relative sizes of populations with good records and populations with shoddy records.

I swear to god if this is true, i hope it comes out he smoked every day and drank loads of booze just to further screw with medical experts theories on what increases longevity

Kinyou

Mr Gotho said he began preparing for his death in 1992, even having a gravestone made, but 24 years later he is still alive.

He didn't prepare for his death until he was 121 years old?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My guess is this guy is the son or grandson of whoever was born in 1870, just has the same first name.

That 92 gravestone is probably just his dad's.

Sakura

Yea I don't buy it. He probably doesn't really know how old he is either. My great grandmother used to swear she saw the Titanic sink on her way to Canada from the UK, but she wasn't even born yet when that happened.

I'm skeptical, but I kind of hope that it is true. Well, not for his sake, but it's pretty crazy to think about.
It would be so damn sad to have so many people near you pass away if you lived to be that old, you'd be really numb. Just waiting to die.

OK, now it's less fun to think about.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The massive downside if we manage to extend the lives of human beings. Not everyone might be able to able afford or want to live longer, thus eventually leaving you alone.

Or it would be part of the healthcare system in many developed nations (we'd may even have a singular world government at that point).

.JayZii

Banned
I'm sure he just has the same name as a deceased family member. It would be cool if it were real, though. It's possible he has dementia and thinks it is true, too.

Nocebo

How would they even be able to verify this beyond a doubt? I don't think there are any biological markers that can be used to accurately date someone over 80 or so. And how are they going to independently verify paper work? I suppose they could try to dig up his entire written record... I doubt we'll get a satisfying conclusion, but you never know.

If he's confirmed to not be 145 it won't be because of some of the dumb reasons like "we would have heard about him earlier" and "he doesn't look like a 145 year old". Yeah, not everyone lives on the internet. I doubt he has a facebook account or whatever. I also don't think most supercentenarians are being actively kept tabs on or care to be in the news for just being old.
What is a 145 year old who is still alive at 145 supposed to even look like? Not like a 122 year old whom died before the age of 123, obviously, or he wouldn't have been able to stay alive for 23 more years (if true).

Hopefully he'll agree to at least have some tests done so the state of his body can be examined. Also the eventual autopsy, if allowed, will be interesting. It is theorized that many supercentenarians eventually die from amyloid build up if they don't die from cancer or Alzheimer's disease etc. before that. So it would be nice if they could find out what the situation is with this person.

My money is also on mistaken identity or something like that. It's worth investigating, though, hopefully something useful can be learned from him.

It seems pretty unlikely that that is his real age.

Still though, the idea that this man was the same as age as I am right now in 1894, and that he's still alive in the year 2016 is just fucking astounding. I can't imagine what it must be like to have personally witnessed the last 145 years of history and advancement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom