• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple airpods are for sale with Pre-Xmas delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfrank

EDIT - Christmas delivery no longer available

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

Get em while they are available. I'll post reviews as they come in.

PR -
Now, users can order the Bluetooth-enabled headphones, which provide up to 5 hours of music playback and high-quality sound through a "seamless and automatic connection" between the AirPods and an iPhone. To charge the AirPods, the included travel case doubles as a charging station that provides up to 24 hours of battery life for the headphones.

The new W1 chip inside the AirPods allows for seamless connection with devices in Apple's ecosystem, so that they connect instantly whenever the rechargeable battery case is flipped open near an iOS device. When in the user's ears, the AirPods "know when you are listening" and will subsequently pause music when they're taken out of an ear. Playback controls are left to Siri-enabled voice commands, which are brought up by double-tapping on the buds.

Included with the AirPods is a Lightning cable used to charge the carrying case, and the headphones require Apple devices running iOS 10, watchOS 3 or macOS Sierra.

iMore Impressions

I'm testing pre-production hardware, which means my results may not be exactly the same as the final retail release. Even so, I'm incredibly impressed. Going in, I figured AirPods would be unusable for me based on their shape alone. Instead, I've been able to use them constantly. So much that I don't really want to wear corded headphones any more.

I'm now using AirPods for my workouts, when I'm driving, when I'm flying, when I'm out for walks — basically any time I need headphones. I've used them with my iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, and Mac, and it's worked great with all of them. Likewise Apple TV over regular Bluetooth.

The easy pairing and switching really do make a difference too. With other Bluetooth headphones, I'd swap pairings every once and a while, but mostly stopped because of the hassle. With AirPods, Apple TV is still a hassle, because it pairs like standard Bluetooth, but everything else is a dream

jts

...hate me...
Ordered. Have been waiting on them forever.

First time I drop a significant buck on headphones. Significant for me, at least.

Previous record was actually held by the Apple in-ears (gen 2), which were very good minus the low bass, but my cat chewed its wire :(

That shouldn’t be a problem now though.

D1337

Banned
21st delivery woohoo! Hoping they somehow even come sooner.

I LITERALLY just got my knockoff $29 pair yesterday DANG IT!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
$159 is a bit too pricey. If they were $99 I probably would have bitten. Maybe I'll try to stack up some Amazon credit to purchase 'em.

Ativan

Banned
I'll pick them up instore, I'm supposed to be getting my Bragi Headphone this week or next, will compare the two.

reKon

Banned
Ordered. Have been waiting on them forever.

First time I drop a significant buck on headphones. Significant for me, at least.

Previous record was actually held by the Apple in-ears (gen 2), which were very good minus the low bass, but my cat chewed its wire :(

That shouldn’t be a problem now though.

I just have to ask the question...

Why these in particular vs ANY other headphone that's currently on the market?

These haven't been reviewed by any publications as far as I'm concerned.

Kurdel

Banned
I am still on the fence because the forced stereo usage (can't only listen to one bud).

I hope that was fixed with the delay.

Do these actually offer better sound than normal iphone headphones? I think the software is neat but lol at paying 159 for garbage earpods

Jesus 160$ for in ear earphones?

Even more satisfied getting the Sennheiser 598 Cs on black Friday for 100$ now.

Unbelievable price for standard apple earphones. I get they're wireless and all but still...

Not seeing the appeal of these at all. There are plenty of other wireless earphones out there that undoubtedly offer better comfort and sound quality. In my experience apple's earphones fall out of the ear immediately, and I can foresee lots of cases where one of the two units gets lost. Unless you're 100% married to the Apple design paradigm these seem like an awful value proposition.

LordOfChaos

I just want more objective tests on if the sound quality has improved over Earpods.

Some said it had tighter bass, but the earpods have hybrid paper cones that lose bass accuracy over time, so that impression could have been due to that.

Ryuukan

online store slipped to "ships in 4 weeks" in about an hour as gaf continues to ponder if anyone will buy these

jts

...hate me...
I just have to ask the question...

Why these in particular vs ANY other headphone that's currently on the market?

These haven't been reviewed by any publications as far as I'm concerned.

I’m more than happy to answer it.

And they do have been reviewed, although supposedly the reviewers got preproduction units.

Wanted wireless headphones for a while.

I’m invested in the Apple ecosystem. So since headphones with this W1 chip sync across the board, they make it really easy for me to switch between my laptop, phone, TV, back and forth.

I like the battery life. 5 hours + a 24 hour battery charging case where they are stored while not in use + fast charging, it all feels very nice and sufficient not to suffer from battery issues.

And because they are independent, if you need in an extreme situation to never ever skip a beat you can chuck one in the charger while you use the other one and alternate at will. Both have their own dual-beaming microphone and the motion/proximity controls.

The Beats X have neither the charging case nor the independent functionality.

Auto-play when you put them into your ears, auto-pause when you remove them.

What I have against them:

No physical controls. There’s tapping and putting them on and removing them, but everything else goes through Siri or manually on device. Shame, but I do think Apple can improve them with the tapping controls later on with a software update.

Sound. The EarPods don’t sound great to me, if I’m honest. They are the minimum I accept, but some of the reviews made me feel these were made to sound better than the EarPods, only sharing the form factor. Taking a bit of a leap of faith here.

That’s it I guess.

hoserx

I’m more than happy to answer it.

And they do have been reviewed, although supposedly the reviewers got preproduction units.

Wanted wireless headphones for a while.

I’m invested in the Apple ecosystem. So since headphones with this W1 chip sync across the board, they make it really easy for me to switch between my laptop, phone, TV, back and forth.

I like the battery life. 5 hours + a 24 hour battery charging case where they are stored while not in use, and have fast charging feels very nice.

And because they are independent, if you need in an extreme situation to never ever skip a beat you can chuck one in the charger while you use the other one and alternate at will. Both have their own dual-beaming microphone and the motion/proximity controls.

The Beats X have neither the charging case nor the independent functionality.

Auto-play when you put them into your ears, auto-pause when you remove them.

What I have against them:

No physical controls. There’s tapping and putting them one and removing them, but everything else goes through or manually on device. Shame, but I do think Apple can improve them with the tapping controls later on with a software update.

Sound. The EarPods don’t sound great to me, if I’m honest. They are the minimum I accept, but some of the reviews made me feel these were made to sound better than the EarPods, only sharing the form factor. Taking a bit of a leap of faith here.

That’s it I guess.

So one of the main things you have against a device that is made to deliver sound, is the quality of the sound? That'd be a no-buy for me.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is unreal. Didn't we see plenty articles literally days ago on how messy the current development state of the airpods is? Sync issues with the bluetooth and stuff.

jts

...hate me...
So one of the main things you have against a device that is made to deliver sound, is the quality of the sound? That'd be a no-buy for me.

Well, I did say the EarPods are the minimum I accept, and still that I hope that these are better than them, based on some of the reviews I saw. I can’t know for sure without trying them on.

Yes there’s a serious price premium based on simply the sound quality, but I also said what else I liked about them.

Let’s put it this way. If they sound mediocre for my (admittedly poor) standards, I will return them.

D1337

Banned
Jesus 160$ for in ear earphones?

Even more satisfied getting the Sennheiser 598 Cs on black Friday for 100$ now.

Unbelievable price for standard apple earphones. I get they're wireless and all but still...

Find me a pair cheaper that is completely wireless that is name brand. Its still "new technology".

I'll pick them up instore, I'm supposed to be getting my Bragi Headphone this week or next, will compare the two.

I picked up a pair of "syllable" wireless earbuds from china. The sound is actually decent, and the syncing is easy. They were $29. The only thing I don't like is the size, they pretty much are bragi dash clones. They feel weird in my ear and look hideous. I cant wait for my airpods. I actually prefer the Apple Earbuds to any other headphone because I want comfort and I am lucky enough that they fit perfectly in my ear. ANd I hate noise canceling.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Not seeing the appeal of these at all. There are plenty of other wireless earphones out there that undoubtedly offer better comfort and sound quality. In my experience apple's earphones fall out of the ear immediately, and I can foresee lots of cases where one of the two units gets lost. Unless you're 100% married to the Apple design paradigm these seem like an awful value proposition.
But they say apple on them 🤔

sirap

Apple must have access to some serious black magic if people are exercising with these things.

I'll remain skeptical until I see real workout footage. Not talking about fucking bicep curls either.

This is the most infuriating fucking thing they could have done. Airpods slip to post Christmas within hours, and delay the Beats X till February? Unbelievable.

Ryuukan

Why are these $160?

because

mLARDiM.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is the most infuriating fucking thing they could have done. Airpods slip to post Christmas within hours, and delay the Beats X till February? Unbelievable.
It slipped to post Christmas because people bought all of them

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Glad I'll have mine by next Wednesday.

Hopefully Apple follows tradition and ships sooner than their estimate so I'll have them even sooner.

Getting sick of having to choose between charging and listening.

$3 worth of material for the low low price of $160 USD?

I'd have to imagine quite a lot of money went into the W1 chip development, and these still seem to be cheaper than their competitors for comparable (wire-free) headphones as far as I can see:

That's not to mention the higher battery life, both in and out of case.

If you can find similarly wirefree headphones with a comparable battery life for substantially cheaper though, by all means.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Fantastic. Ordered mine and have a delivery date of the 21st.

I'm looking forward to the W1 Chip revolution. I've got airpods for work and being out. Got Solo3's for at home.

Vuze

some people seem to think apple literally just cut off the wires and jacked up the price and called it a day
Yeah. The price is really not that outrageous but in fact quite competitive, even moreso for Apple standards.
I've done a fair bit of research on wireless earbuds in the past weeks and didn't come across any decent pair that is cheaper by a significant amount.

Just hope Apple nails the tech with these because that seems to be a huge problem for the other products as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom