• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple airpods are for sale with Pre-Xmas delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone happen to have a Samsung Gear S2/S3 and tried it in combo with today's iOS app launch and AirPods? Do they work? Can I control Spotify on the watch? Call people on it and talk on the pods? Let me guide by google maps?

I don't like the Apple Watch design but think I want to try a smart watch.

i've briefly used it with my gear s2. you can control spotify with play/pause/skip controls, but there's no phone functionality and no google maps either (that isn't even possible with an android phone, it uses tizen).

there are things about the gear s2 i like better than the apple watch — the bezel control is clever, and the interface is less cluttered in general. it's also vastly better than anything running android wear. but if you're using an iphone, the apple watch has a ton more functionality, and the airpods integration is obviously much more convenient.

robotrock

Banned
Still thinking about picking these up.

I know it's probably been covered extensively, but how are you guys feeling about the sound quality compared to the regular Earpods?

I hear it's not supposed to be a mindblowing difference, but is there a difference?

i've briefly used it with my gear s2. you can control spotify with play/pause/skip controls, but there's no phone functionality and no google maps either (that isn't even possible with an android phone, it uses tizen).

there are things about the gear s2 i like better than the apple watch — the bezel control is clever, and the interface is less cluttered in general. it's also vastly better than anything running android wear. but if you're using an iphone, the apple watch has a ton more functionality, and the airpods integration is obviously much more convenient.

hey weird question but do you work at the verge?

Lunar FC

I know it's probably been covered extensively, but how are you guys feeling about the sound quality compared to the regular Earpods?

I hear it's not supposed to be a mindblowing difference, but is there a difference?

Id say it's a noticeable difference.

jts

...hate me...
Man am I really gonna have to wait 6 weeks to cop this??? No Apple Store near me says they have it in stock
You should have made an order as soon as you thought you might want them.

Your card won't get charged until the order is ready to ship, and you can always cancel, if you change your mind or find them available somewhere else.

What I'm saying is place a order now anyway.

Vuze

Having used a Gear S2 with a Galaxy S7E....the Apple Watch is leaps and bounds better. Hopefully someone can answer your questions in depth though if you go through with it!

Thanks for the impressions guys. Guess I'll wait for this years rumored Apple Watch refresh and then pick up the current Series 1 or 2.
It seems like Spotify doesn't even have a proper app for the Watch though (where you can select playlists, albums etc). What in the hell...

I feel they are a fair bit better but yeah, no mindblowing difference. The added comfort and time saving is the biggest plus. Not having to adjust around the wires up to 4 times a day in my case is great, adds up quickly. Here you just pop open the case, put them in and you're set.

You should have made an order as soon as you thought you might want them.

Your card won't get charged until the order is ready to ship, and you can always cancel, if you change your mind or find them available somewhere else.

What I'm saying is place a order now anyway.

Bah. I need to return my Beats Solo 3 to Best Buy so they're my only option....

It seems like Spotify doesn't even have a proper app for the Watch though (where you can select playlists, albums etc). What in the hell...

Yeah does anyone know what the deal is with this? Is it Spotify being lazy or Apple strong arming?

love my AirPods! Apple Watch + AirPods is a great combo.

Have had some issues with Sierra though, not connecting, audio going super low quality. Hopefully it gets fixed in 10.12.3.

icespide

Banned
how is battery life with the charging case for everyone? are you charging it every day? every couple days? I gotta say I'm a little disappointed with how long the battery in the case lasts, wonder if I'm doing something wrong, I thought this was gonna be a charge once a week thing not a charge every other day thing

also, do we need an AirPods OT?

j-wood

how is battery life with the charging case for everyone? are you charging it every day? every couple days? I gotta say I'm a little disappointed with how long the battery in the case lasts, wonder if I'm doing something wrong, I thought this was gonna be a charge once a week thing not a charge every other day thing

My case seemed to need a day or two to "calibrate"

It was dropping pretty fast with no usage at first.

Now yesterday I didn't use the airpods at all, and my case was at 92% at the end of the day.

Vuze

Yeah, I don't think anyone is getting the advertised battery life out of it. It seems Apple did the numbers by completly draining the Airpods and then recharging them. They lose charge while in idle by nature of the batteries it seems and thus the case is constantly charging them on and off. I feel it has gotten better for me over the past two weeks but it might be because I'm not paying too much attention anymore.

I just charge every two or three days overnight.

OT would be cool since this thread basically became incognito OT but with an outdated title lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
These showed up a day early on Saturday and I've been using them pretty heavily ever since. Around the house, walking around outside with a knit cap on, weight lifting at the gym, etc.

Honestly, they are kind of a revelation. Obviously the sound quality is not going to blow anyone away, but their light weight combined with the complete absence of any kind of wires has allowed me, for the first time ever, to be able to forget that I am wearing any kind of earphones at all. Just wireless sound into my ears. It's really amazing. I've used all kinds of Bluetooth earphones before, but these really made me realize just how annoying the presence of any kind of wire at all is and how much those wires contribute to the earphones coming or loose or falling out. Not once have these come close to falling from my ears, and I typically have terrible luck with earphones staying in, including Apples newest bundled-in earphones from recent years.

The design for these is just great, too. Hats off to whoever came up with the charging case holder design. Auto-pausing when you remove one from your ear is also just amazingly intuitive and has already come in handy a few times at work. They are certainly expensive, but as far as I'm aware there really is no alternative on the market. Truly an amazing life-improving device as far as I'm concerned.

I am definitely buying some 'hearables' this year. I have Bluetooth earphones but the wire between the ears catches on my collar and they get tugged out. They're only a little less annoying than basic wired headphones which sometimes catch on my coat buttons.

I have hesitations on the AirPods though
- standard EarPods don't fit well. Granted that might partly be wires tugging but they fall out a lot. (Bonus points to iOS auto correct for capitalising EarPods)
- no way to skip tracks. Essential for Spotify for me and for podcast listening to skip forward. Volume I can use my phone.

Hopefully there will be some good ones soon that at least have similar controls to an in-line remote

I plug it in every night because I have an extra iPhone stand to plug them in to and why not?

Also I thought this was the OT

Lunar FC

I charge it a little every night because I don't have an iPhone and have no idea what my battery levels are at ever. Kind of frustrating.

jts

...hate me...
I charge it a little every night because I don't have an iPhone and have no idea what my battery levels are at ever. Kind of frustrating.
LOL

That's funny. I'd pop the case open near someone's iPhone once in a while.

Also, I'm pretty sure once every 2 (or even 3) nights will suffice even if you use them a lot, but I guess every night is more of a system.

They really don't need much time to go back to 100%, and I mean including the case. All those batteries are tiny.

Lunar FC

LOL

That's funny. I'd pop the case open near someone's iPhone once in a while.

Also, I'm pretty sure once every 2 (or even 3) nights will suffice even if you use them a lot, but I guess every night is more of a system.

They really don't need much time to go back to 100%, and I mean including the case. All those batteries are tiny.

The really frustrating thing is that I have an OG iPad Mini that didn't get the iOS 10 update, so it doesn't do any of the AirPod quick pair shit I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom