• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple airpods are for sale with Pre-Xmas delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax

Banned
I finally ended up buying a new pair, swapping the broken one, and returning it. Since the Apple Store/AppleCare wouldn't just sell me a replacement. Pretty absurd.

Hahaha. You had a bad experience, so every store and the company suck.

On the flip side every time I have spoken to AppleCare or gone in for the Genius Bar or buying something, I have dealt with the nicest people and my expectations have been blown away.

Don't be so single minded.
I didn't say the company sucks. I said apple retail stores suck. Because they do. I said they're the face of apple, which they are. Best tech company in the world represented by less than Walmart level customer service losers. At least where I live.

Didn't use to be like this, Angela Ahrendts is running the establishments straight into the ground. Ever since she blundered the Apple Watch launch it's been huge mistake after huge mistake.. everyone I talk to about it has horrible experiences there as well.

People used to line up for iPhone launches day one, these days if you do that you literally get screwed over with the lamest models being the only ones available. I can go on and on about how awful the Apple retail experience is.

jax

Banned
What'd she do to the watch launch?
Decided it would be better to launch the watches at some random store in LA on launch day instead of at all Apple Retail stores day one. Completely destroying the launch hype for the product. When a new apple product is released, people are supposed to line up and the word of mouth is critical to the initial sales. No one knew what the hell an iPad was when they launched, I told people why I was in line and they got in line too not knowing shit about it. She killed that hype for the Apple Watch which I believe has permanently damaged the entire Watch as a brand. She also delayed certain models of the watch for months, forcing people to buy them online only.

She still does this too. That Product [RED] iPhone 7 battery case is still not in stores. Why??? Every since she took over retail it's gotten horrendously bad. The leniency they had before is completely gone. She gives the workers zero wiggle room when it comes to warranties which is also critically damaging the Apple brand. Used to be you could walk into an Apple Store with a busted iPhone and walk out with a brand new one no questions asked. I understand that has to end, but going completely the opposite direction to the point of being dicks to people with legitimate complaints who spent shitloads of money makes people walk down the mall to the Microsoft Store, where they treat you right. (How Apple used to treat customers.)

neshcom

Banned
Seems to me that lining up is mostly vanity and is detrimental to the actual experience of buying a product in the spec you want. As these new devices launch in more SKUs for carriers, connectivity, and storage, it would be impossible to nail down enough of everything for people to blindly line up.

jax

Banned
Seems to me that lining up is mostly vanity and is detrimental to the actual experience of buying a product in the spec you want. As these new devices launch in more SKUs for carriers, connectivity, and storage, it would be impossible to nail down enough of everything for people to blindly line up.
I completely disagree. Apple launches (used to) gather massive amounts of people. People that don't follow tech news. People that call their friend and say let's get new apple watches since that's a thing now. People that otherwise wouldn't give a shit about a new Watch, but when they see the line they don't want to feel left out. As far as the SKU thing, that was never a problem when every iPhone had a different SKU, nowadays the carriers for the most part share. For watches you have as many as you can hold until they're gone and then it's sold out. The people in line aren't going to not buy a Watch, they'll buy whatever's available.

She's running Apple retail into the ground and must be stopped. Retail is what saved Apple. Jobs vision of a fantastic, welcoming place to try and buy the latest and greatest. These days it's a glorified Best Buy. The OPPOSITE of what it used to be/Jobs vision.

This Angela lady is treating Apple like Burberry when it's not even close. Leaving customers and potential customers with a bad taste in their mouth being unable to buy the products advertised, then when they are able to buy stuff and it breaks, they're treated like thieves. Apple deserves better as the best tech company in the world.

Maximus.

I completely disagree. Apple launches (used to) gather massive amounts of people. People that don't follow tech news. People that call their friend and say let's get new apple watches since that's a thing now. People that otherwise wouldn't give a shit about a new Watch, but when they see the line they don't want to feel left out. As far as the SKU thing, that was never a problem when every iPhone had a different SKU, nowadays the carriers for the most part share. For watches you have as many as you can hold until they're gone and then it's sold out. The people in line aren't going to not buy a Watch, they'll buy whatever's available.

She's running Apple retail into the ground and must be stopped. Retail is what saved Apple. Jobs vision of a fantastic, welcoming place to try and buy the latest and greatest. These days it's a glorified Best Buy. The OPPOSITE of what it used to be/Jobs vision.

This Angela lady is treating Apple like Burberry when it's not even close. Leaving customers and potential customers with a bad taste in their mouth being unable to buy the products advertised, then when they are able to buy stuff and it breaks, they're treated like thieves. Apple deserves better as the best tech company in the world.

You don't know what you're talking about.

3N16MA

Banned

Apple store lines were made up of diehards and scalpers.

The average person did not randomly find out a new iPhone was being released and said to themselves "I should invite my friends to lineup in front of the local Apple store for 12 hours."

jax

Banned
Jaxapollo just likes to complain in Apple threads, it's his thing.
It's funny that instead of deconstructing my points the Apple fans are just like "nah apples perfect"

I only complain in apple threads because they seem to be clueless of what actual customers have to go through. Too many yes men at Apple.

Apple store lines were made up of diehards and scalpers.

The average person did not randomly find out a new iPhone was being released and said to themselves "I should invite my friends to lineup in front of the local Apple store for 12 hours."

Sure they did. And not 12 hours. People see the diehards in line and jump in line too, especially if their phone is broken or if they just want to see what the hubub is about. Getting rid of the lineup experience is pointless and is damaging new brands. Word of mouth is huge. Local news coverage and everything makes several mini events around the city.. it just being all online hurts sales. When a new iPhone is announced, they should at the very least have SOME stock of each flavor. Them not having them would have never happened before Angela took over.

neshcom

Banned
People that call their friend and say let's get new apple watches since that's a thing now. People that otherwise wouldn't give a shit about a new Watch, but when they see the line they don't want to feel left out.

For someone saying Apple isn't Burberry, you're describing a very money-frivolous clientele. But sure, those people want to wait in lines and get a free round of applause.

Have people found the AirPods have good battery life? Seems pretty single-purpose enough that estimates should be accurate enough.

jax

Banned
For someone saying Apple isn't Burberry, you're describing a very money-frivolous clientele. But sure, those people want to wait in lines and get a free round of applause.

Have people found the AirPods have good battery life? Seems pretty single-purpose enough that estimates should be accurate enough.
The Watch line wouldn't have been even 1/4 as long as iPhone lines, but it would have driven more traffic to the store at launch and provided word of mouth advertising to what exactly the Watch does. It launched extremely poorly and has never fully recovered. It should be a pinnacle device every iPhone owner owns, it's bad marketing+horrible launch has mangled what should be a successful device. Also, Apple Watch costs $250. You must have not been around during iPod launches, which was always mostly walk ups to the stores as well.

Not having a new gategory of device on the advertised launch date available at the Apple Store, was absurd. Making people go to some store in LA or deal with the scalper market killed the launch of the Watch. If you don't see that you're blind tbh.

As far as battery goes, it's decent, I find them dying on me at least once a day, but a few minutes in the cucoon and it's 100%.

jax

Banned
I mean, they didn't guarantee iPhones for people in line either and that product is still selling gangbusters. The idea that a smartwatch is as ubiquitous as a smartphone is honestly delusional.

Do any of the Beats headphones have the W1 or is it just the coming X phones?

The Watch might not be 100% there yet, but the percentage of people who have an iPhone and don't have an Apple Watch is way too high. For what it's capable of, every third iPhone owner should have a Watch. Poor marketing, poor launch, poor watch..

The Beats Solo 3 have the W1 and they are fantastic. Gotta say, switching the W1 between iPhone/iPad/Watch/AppleTv/Mac just feels right. Hopefully they drop some W1 studios soon.

jts

...hate me...
Strange - Charged them this way the other day and they seem to work as I woke up with it at 100% but maybe I'm just cray.
IDK, but I remember some noise in MacRumors about this issue, and that was the reason they were pointing out.

Have no experience with that exact issue, but I've always found that when I plug my iPhone into a Windows machine to get some charge, it first installs the drivers, and only then it starts charging.

Decided it would be better to launch the watches at some random store in LA on launch day instead of at all Apple Retail stores day one. Completely destroying the launch hype for the product. When a new apple product is released, people are supposed to line up and the word of mouth is critical to the initial sales. No one knew what the hell an iPad was when they launched, I told people why I was in line and they got in line too not knowing shit about it. She killed that hype for the Apple Watch which I believe has permanently damaged the entire Watch as a brand. She also delayed certain models of the watch for months, forcing people to buy them online only.

She still does this too. That Product [RED] iPhone 7 battery case is still not in stores. Why??? Every since she took over retail it's gotten horrendously bad. The leniency they had before is completely gone. She gives the workers zero wiggle room when it comes to warranties which is also critically damaging the Apple brand. Used to be you could walk into an Apple Store with a busted iPhone and walk out with a brand new one no questions asked. I understand that has to end, but going completely the opposite direction to the point of being dicks to people with legitimate complaints who spent shitloads of money makes people walk down the mall to the Microsoft Store, where they treat you right. (How Apple used to treat customers.)

She doesn't control when and where a product launches. That's not her job.

the Marques Brownlee review almost made me want to pick these up. The W1 chip compatibility solves the annoying BT syncing issues I have with current bluetooth speaker/headsets, and the charging case seems super cool and convenient. Will probably still hold out for the Beats X though. Really wish those had some kind of similar charging option.

jax

Banned
Thinking of switching my Beats Solo 3 into an AirPod/watch combo.

Good idea?

Great idea. The AirPods and Watch work amazingly well together. It's really a great experience. The series 1 watch runs really good, bit you'll want a series 2 if you plan on long runs and swims. The solo 3 are great headphones, but I prefer the sound quality of Studios or perhaps another brand of over ear headphones. Solo 3 are cool since they have that W1 and great battery, but the AirPods will be the same. I say go for it.

Lunar FC

Finally got my pair and I love em. Double tap to play/pause can be a little finicky but I kind of expected that. Would love for the taking out of ear to pause feature to work on non-iphones, but I know that will never happen.

Vuze

Just plugged my airpods into a USB port on my PC to charge. Sat there for an hour and didn't gain 1%... Weird.
Yeah, I've never got them to charge via PC USB ports either. Can't possibly be a driver issue since it should simply supply the power via MB, doesn't need to interact with Windows for that. They charge fine on my TV (lol) though... dunno. No biggie for me tbh but still awkward

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, I've never got them to charge via PC USB ports either. Can't possibly be a driver issue since it should simply supply the power via MB, doesn't need to interact with Windows for that. They charge fine on my TV (lol) though... dunno. No biggie for me tbh but still awkward
Software absolutely can block USB charging if the device isn't properly recognized or for any other issue it's programmed to block (or provide extra power, etc - USB charging is smart). Of course, wall plugs and other embedded USB ports won't have this issue, but it is extremely common between Windows and Apple devices.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Thinking of switching my Beats Solo 3 into an AirPod/watch combo.

Good idea?

If you honestly believe the apple watch to be a capable companion for controlling your airpods and media content, think again.
It's just as cumbersome as pulling out your phone for some strange reason, and in some ways even more cumbersome.

Apple watch is really not a suitable replacement for inline controls.

Don't get me wrong, I love my apple watch, but it's a complete clunker if you think you're going to be intuitively controlling your headphone content with it.

If you honestly believe the apple watch to be a capable companion for controlling your airpods and media content, think again.
It's just as cumbersome as pulling out your phone for some strange reason, and in some ways even more cumbersome.

Apple watch is really not a suitable replacement for inline controls.

Don't get me wrong, I love my apple watch, but it's a complete clunker if you think you're going to be intuitively controlling your headphone content with it.

True. I'm just struggling to think whether or not I want to trade up better sound/more battery life/on board controls for convenience and coolness. I mean I have a M50x as well so the idea of having two cans doesn't rub me the right way

Edit: do any retailers even have them in stock?

PSGames

So I have the opportunity to buy these today is the general consensus that these are worth it? Call quality is up to par? Is the sound quality better than EarPods?

jaxapollo has the most irreverent and nonsensical rants and complaints about apple that i've ever seen

Does it hurt you or Apple? I say let people have their opinions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Watch might not be 100% there yet, but the percentage of people who have an iPhone and don't have an Apple Watch is way too high. For what it's capable of, every third iPhone owner should have a Watch. Poor marketing, poor launch, poor watch..

The Beats Solo 3 have the W1 and they are fantastic. Gotta say, switching the W1 between iPhone/iPad/Watch/AppleTv/Mac just feels right. Hopefully they drop some W1 studios soon.

What do you use the watch for? I bought one to try for a week or so and returned it after 5 days. Couldn't find a use for it and got annoyed with having another thing to charge and worry about.

I don't typically wear watches in general, though.

Chorazin

What do you use the watch for? I bought one to try for a week or so and returned it after 5 days. Couldn't find a use for it and got annoyed with having another thing to charge and worry about.

Like him I fucking love my Watch. Music controls, Siri, fitness tracking, notifications, all without having to look at my phone or iPad. Less distracting to just to get a buzz and look to see something I can either ignore or need to take care of. Better than unlocking the phone and then I'm like "well since I'm on the phone lemme take care of all this other stuff...."

I finally ended up buying a new pair, swapping the broken one, and returning it. Since the Apple Store/AppleCare wouldn't just sell me a replacement. Pretty absurd.

I didn't say the company sucks. I said apple retail stores suck. Because they do. I said they're the face of apple, which they are. Best tech company in the world represented by less than Walmart level customer service losers. At least where I live.

Didn't use to be like this, Angela Ahrendts is running the establishments straight into the ground. Ever since she blundered the Apple Watch launch it's been huge mistake after huge mistake.. everyone I talk to about it has horrible experiences there as well.

People used to line up for iPhone launches day one, these days if you do that you literally get screwed over with the lamest models being the only ones available. I can go on and on about how awful the Apple retail experience is.

Comparing apple to Walmart and Best Buy ? 😂😂😂😂

You are delusional as fuck

The regular apple earpods always have trouble staying in my ears. I have weird, big ears. Will I likely have the same issue with these?

jax

Banned

Siri mostly, just asking her to play whichever music, call or text whomever, directions to so and so place, as well as audio controls for the AirPods. Reading incoming messages, seeing who's calling, etc. Recently Pokemon Go was updated for the watch as well, which is pretty neat. But I have a series 0. The 2 has GPS, so you don't need a phone to track runs, so it's a fantastic fitness tracker .. but I'm holding out for the 3 since the 0 works perfectly fine.

I never wore watches either, but now I find if I forget the watch at home I'm really annoyed, especially with the AirPods.

AirPods + Apple Watch really is a next gen iPod.

Credo

The regular apple earpods always have trouble staying in my ears. I have weird, big ears. Will I likely have the same issue with these?

I have the same issue, so I'm wondering this too. Have to jam the things into my ears to try to get them to stay, and they never will unless I'm perfectly still, so I've always used the wired headphones that came with my Galaxy from years ago.

ASTROID2

Since the apple watch came out I haven't used inline controls on headphones. I found it more convenient to use the watch. Maybe that's just me.

D1337

Banned
Been using mine for about 3-4 days and it is the greatest thing I have purchased in years. Syncing is seamless and it just works. Love it.

Agreed. Can't think of anything I have been more impressed by besides the first iPad I got.
No on off switch. Just put them in and go. The seamless sync is just perfect. And I find the audio quality more than enough for what I use them for

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Siri mostly, just asking her to play whichever music, call or text whomever, directions to so and so place, as well as audio controls for the AirPods. Reading incoming messages, seeing who's calling, etc. Recently Pokemon Go was updated for the watch as well, which is pretty neat. But I have a series 0. The 2 has GPS, so you don't need a phone to track runs, so it's a fantastic fitness tracker .. but I'm holding out for the 3 since the 0 works perfectly fine.

I never wore watches either, but now I find if I forget the watch at home I'm really annoyed, especially with the AirPods.

AirPods + Apple Watch really is a next gen iPod.

Yeah, I don't run or go on runs. That really does seem to be the only kind of fitness that Apple cares about. Can't blame them--it's certainly the easiest to track.

It's definitely a cool fitness tracker, but I just personally could not find a use for it to justify the cost and having another thing to charge and care about.

Vuze

Anyone happen to have a Samsung Gear S2/S3 and tried it in combo with today's iOS app launch and AirPods? Do they work? Can I control Spotify on the watch? Call people on it and talk on the pods? Let me guide by google maps?

I don't like the Apple Watch design but think I want to try a smart watch.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
These showed up a day early on Saturday and I've been using them pretty heavily ever since. Around the house, walking around outside with a knit cap on, weight lifting at the gym, etc.

Honestly, they are kind of a revelation. Obviously the sound quality is not going to blow anyone away, but their light weight combined with the complete absence of any kind of wires has allowed me, for the first time ever, to be able to forget that I am wearing any kind of earphones at all. Just wireless sound into my ears. It's really amazing. I've used all kinds of Bluetooth earphones before, but these really made me realize just how annoying the presence of any kind of wire at all is and how much those wires contribute to the earphones coming or loose or falling out. Not once have these come close to falling from my ears, and I typically have terrible luck with earphones staying in, including Apples newest bundled-in earphones from recent years.

The design for these is just great, too. Hats off to whoever came up with the charging case holder design. Auto-pausing when you remove one from your ear is also just amazingly intuitive and has already come in handy a few times at work. They are certainly expensive, but as far as I'm aware there really is no alternative on the market. Truly an amazing life-improving device as far as I'm concerned.

Chorazin

Anyone happen to have a Samsung Gear S2/S3 and tried it in combo with today's iOS app launch and AirPods? Do they work? Can I control Spotify on the watch? Call people on it and talk on the pods? Let me guide by google maps?

I don't like the Apple Watch design but think I want to try a smart watch.

Having used a Gear S2 with a Galaxy S7E....the Apple Watch is leaps and bounds better. Hopefully someone can answer your questions in depth though if you go through with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom