• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

Just order and forget. It'll be a mini-Christmas for you six weeks down the road

Some people get lucky with the store's stocks, most don't. I know people that have been waiting longer than 6 weeks trying to grab one

Will it charge me right away? Also is it best to order from Apple or BestBuy?

max_505

Dropped my right Airpod at around torso height and it only got a really small scuff/mark. I don't even notice it at all unless I shine a light on it. I'm guessing it was too light that it just immediately bounced off the floor when I dropped it. Good durability.

Chorazin

I remember when these were announced people were like "OMG THEY STICK OUT SO MUCH AND LOOK OBVIOUS #FASHIONFAUXPAS?"

Yet not one motherfucker at work seems to notice the damn things in my ears before they start talking to me. :/

br3wnor

It's a bit niche location wise but if any of you are on Long Island and want to try and snag these, the Apple Store in Walt Whitman Mall has had them in stock 3 times in the past month and a half. First time I snatched them up, and last 2 times I went there was 2 of them just chilling on the shelf. Don't know if I just got lucky or they get a decent stock and don't sell out, but it wasn't just a 1 time fluke that I saw them in store.

Been using mine for a monthish I think now and without a doubt one of the best electronic purchases I've made in recent years. The sound quality is fine for me, they fit perfectly in my ears and the ease of use is just out of this world. Pop em out of my pocket, open the case, put em in and I'm ready to go. Had a couple weeks of gym testing with them and haven't had a single issue. They stay in perfectly when running (I haven't done any high movement exercise or anything so can't comment on that if you're into Crossfit or something might not stay in as snugly) Taking calls on them is great, sound quality is fine and no one has complained about being able to hear me. Love the pop out of ear and stop playback feature, and the Siri integration. I wouldn't mind being able to set double tap to 'next song' since when working out that would be convenient, but it's a minor complaint that might be able to get fixed in future firmware updates.

Only real issue I've had with them is a couple of times I've gone 3-4 days w/out charging the case and have come back to them being dead. But best part is I plug the case in for literally 5 minutes and they'll be at 25% and can get me through probably an hour+ of playback. These are the best headphones I've ever purchased and I can't wait to see how they grow and develop in subsequent generations. If you can snag these, completely worth the $160, you won't regret it.

ESBL

The case that came with my Brainwavz Delta headphones holds the Airpod case and Earskinz perfectly.

giga

Tried the earskinz and they cut the mids off so drastically that I had to return them. Not worth the drop in sound quality for added fit.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really want to get me some of these. I am so ready to leave my wires behind. I just wish they came in black. They'd match my phone.

I really want to get me some of these. I am so ready to leave my wires behind. I just wish they came in black. They'd match my phone.

I have the AirPods and the BeatsX, and I love the BeatsX so much more. They sound incredible, feel great, and the only real tradeoff is the lack of pausing when you remove one AirPod. The better sound quality of the BeatsX is easily worth it IMO.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have the AirPods and the BeatsX, and I love the BeatsX so much more. They sound incredible, feel great, and the only real tradeoff is the lack of pausing when you remove one AirPod. The better sound quality of the BeatsX is easily worth it IMO.
I'd rather get the AirPods personally. All those features are exactly what I want. Plus the compact size. If the AirPods sound anywhere near as good as my wired AirBuds or my car speakers over BlueTooth then I don't care about sound quality. I want the small case with the automatic connection when you open it and how it charges it.

I'd rather get the AirPods personally. All those features are exactly what I want. Plus the compact size. If the AirPods sound anywhere near as good as my wired AirBuds or my car speakers over BlueTooth then I don't care about sound quality. I want the small case with the automatic connection when you open it and how it charges it.

No arguments here. The AirPods are easily the best new product Apple has released in ages. While the BeatsX aren't noise cancelling by any means, they've just given me that slight upgrade in sound quality. The AirPods will definitely give you what you're looking for.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No arguments here. The AirPods are easily the best new product Apple has released in ages. While the BeatsX aren't noise cancelling by any means, they've just given me that slight upgrade in sound quality. The AirPods will definitely give you what you're looking for.
Yeah. Eventually I'll get them. Maybe there'll be an updated model in the fall. Probably not. Are there any issues with them these days?

Certinty

Was my birthday a few days ago, randomly checked the Apple site and one store within a 25 mile radius had them instock. Without even thinking I just ordered it and when I collected it the woman working there told me they were a "myth".

Anyway the sound quality isn't amazing but everything else is sooooo damn good. Love putting them on when and not having to touch any settings to make them work or just taking them off and the music stopping automatically.

Really I would have liked better sound quality for £159 but given how good the rest of the package is I'm not complaining too much. No wonder these keep selling out.

ThePsydeFX

Neo Member
Have had the AirPods and BeatsX since March expecting to prefer the Beats since my ears never played nice with the EarPods. Surprisingly have been very impressed with the AirPods' fit as well as function. Loving them more than the Beats overall as far as everyday use is concerned.

My BeatsX died a week ago sadly. Put them to charge after a days use and the would not pair by the morning, only getting a alternating red and white flashing led. Tried resetting and recharging to no avail. Sent them back to amazon for a repair and hoping for the best. Doubtful, but hoping for a replacement.

Any chance there will be a refresh of these this year? I think I've decided I want to take the plunge and buy 'em but not if new ones are right around the corner.

I ordered a pair last month as I need something wireless and with a non-sealed sound to be able to hear if someone is calling me while I listen to music or podcasts at work.

Tried bragi headphones but it wasn't worth the 150$. Might as well add 10 bucks and get something decent. Still wouldn't commute with them. I have powerbeats 3 for that.

But I'm hoping this will be a good solution for listening at the desk.

gamma

I hope they add an easier way of connecting to them to tvOS at WWDC. Annoying having to go to settings every time. I'm surprised they left that out of the initial release.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I hope they add an easier way of connecting to them to tvOS at WWDC. Annoying having to go to settings every time. I'm surprised they left that out of the initial release.

I only use mine for my AppleTV, and they always connect after waking the AppleTV up. Are you maybe using yours with multiple devices?

I only use mine for my AppleTV, and they always connect after waking the AppleTV up. Are you maybe using yours with multiple devices?

Yes, if you connect to a different device like an iPhone you have to go all the way through the menus to reconnect it. And the first time I open my settings app it crashes so that adds time

It should be always available in the slide down menu

giga

Yeah, the Anker look better. Guaranteed to be more comfortable, too. $80.

*shrug*

pre-launch-2-3_98ca39d4-9580-4669-94e1-8e63d004eb0c_2048x.jpg

Eh. Don't agree.

gamma

Yes, if you connect to a different device like an iPhone you have to go all the way through the menus to reconnect it. And the first time I open my settings app it crashes so that adds time

It should be always available in the slide down menu

Yep, exactly. My settings app crashes too and that makes it even more annoying.

Moshio

Neo Member
Is it normal for the Airpods to make a slight popping sound once they are connected? It seems it only happens once after I put them in. It also happens if I stop the music for long enough as if it's going into a standby mode.

antibolo

Banned
So I've had my AirPods for a few days now. Initial impressions:

Good:
- Sound quality is satisfactory. Bass is similar to traditional Apple headphones.
- Ear detection works fairly well and I enjoy it.
- The fact that you can use a single one and it automatically does a mono downmix is fucking great.
- Automatic pairing to all my other Apple devices is nice. (had to upgrade to Sierra though). Manual pairing to non-Apple devices is fairly painless as well.

Neutral:
- Paired my Vita. There's too much latency for rhythm games, but still within reasonable limits for other games, not as bad as I expected.

Bad:
- The double tap action doesn't work too well.
- Wish they had more actions than just the double tap.
- Yep they still look pretty stupid.

All in all, very happy so far.

So I've had my AirPods for a few days now. Initial impressions:

Good:
- Sound quality is satisfactory.
- Ear detection works fairly well and I enjoy it.
- The fact that you can use a single one and it automatically does a mono downmix is fucking great.
- Automatic pairing to all my other Apple devices is nice. (had to upgrade to Sierra though). Manual pairing to non-Apple devices is fairly painless as well.

Neutral:
- Paired my Vita. There's too much latency for rhythm games, but still within reasonable limits for other games, not as bad as I expected.

Bad:
- The double tap action doesn't work too well.
- Wish they had more actions than just the double tap.
- Yep they still look pretty stupid.

All in all, very happy so far.

I think the Vita stuff is due mostly to Sony cheapening out on some internals like the bluetooth and wifi chips.

As for the double tap action, where are you tapping? This is the one complaint I see that i've never encountered myself. I always give two decently forced taps on the AirPods near the top (i.e., not on the tip that sticks out) and it always registers. Maybe try tapping there if you aren't, and also experiment with doing it faster or slower; the speed of your taps may be an issue as well.

antibolo

Banned
I think the Vita stuff is due mostly to Sony cheapening out on some internals like the bluetooth and wifi chips.

A2DP audio will always have lag, I don't think it's the Vita's fault. It's still pretty good, just not rhythm-game-good.

As for the double tap action, where are you tapping? This is the one complaint I see that i've never encountered myself. I always give two decently forced taps on the AirPods near the top (i.e., not on the tip that sticks out) and it always registers. Maybe try tapping there if you aren't, and also experiment with doing it faster or slower; the speed of your taps may be an issue as well.

I realize that I'll probably get better at it over time, but right now it feels a bit too strict in the tap speed, force, and location.

tommyguns

Airpods will be mine later this summer. Deciding to jump back in to the Apple ecosystem. Just picked up an iPhone SE to hold me over until the new iPhone releases this fall.

Now I plan to buy Airpods, an Apple Watch (Possibly wait till the fall to see if series 3 is announced?) and the new 10.5 inch iPad Pro. I am going to wait until August-ish to buy the iPad as the main features I want are iOS 11 improvements...so I have no real 'reason' to buy it right away.

Airpods will most likely be the first thing I purchase out of the bunch. Is there ANY chance we see updated airspeeds this fall already?

iOS 11 brings Next/Previous Track controls to individual AirPods

"Apple has taken the new functionality one step further by allowing individual double-tap actions on each AirPods earpiece"

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/05/ios-11-brings-nextprevious-track-controls-to-individual-airpods/

nice!

That sounds amazing, but I wish they'd have a way to default back to a setting if only one AirPod is in use. Like, I'd love to have when one is in, regardless of which ear, it's just pause and play, and when both are in, I can have left be forward and right be something else.

Anker is coming out with a pair of truly wireless on Kickstarter soon. I love all their others, I'll be signing up.

Those look pretty nice! Battery life will be the make or break for me, though (and they need at least decent audio quality with as low lag as possible, obviously).

I think I need a minimum of 4 hours without putting back into a charging case. The Airpods getting 5 hours is definitely one of its best features to me.

Top Bottom