• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

tommyguns

After thinking it over last night, this morning I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair from ATT. In stock, and delivery in 3-5 business days. Seeing as they are sold out everywhere else it seems, I thought I mine as well buy now no matter where they are from.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/08/airpods-apple-tv-tvos-11/

AirPods are now a persistent speaker option on tvOS11 from the swipe down menu

Now that the pairing works pretty well across all Apple devices, I'd love it if they could get even smarter and determine which device you're using at any given point without asking the user to even manually choose them as an output. Obviously sometimes you're using multiple devices at once, but I'd love to see some kind of smart cloud-managed multi-device audio output management like that.

Mauddib

Banned
Man, I have no clue why anyone would buy these over the Bose Soundsport. Don't they cost roughly the same The wireless Soundsport earphones are so much better than the Airpods!

Man, I have no clue why anyone would buy these over the Bose Soundsport. Don't they cost roughly the same The wireless Soundsport earphones are so much better than the Airpods!

I spy wires on the bose soundsport. Not the same market, and I’m not interested

After not being able to find these anywhere near me I decided to purchase them for 200$ on Amazon. The mark up sucks but whatever. Im really liking the ease of use these provide. Sound quality is good enough and the battery life with the chargeable case is beautiful.

antibolo

Banned
My AirPods have given me renewed appreciation of my Vita.

Lack of Bluetooth audio support on the Switch is lame as hell. Especially given how piss poor weak the max volume on the headphone port is.

I don't get it. It has always done that to my knowledge. If enabled, removing an AirPod simulates a pause press, regardless of audio or video being played.

Yeah... I've been doing this all year. And, it works for YouTube and Plex on macOS as well as iOS.

Was gifted a pair for my birthday on Sunday.

Fit so poorly in my ear that they kept falling out.

Third time using them one fell out of my ear down a literal storm drain while I was on a run.

I was going to sell them and buy something like the rowkin or dot set that might actually stay in my ear.

Oh well :( Using them was frustrating as fuck tbh, even having my phone in my pocket was enough for the audio signal to cut in and out.

The audio was garbage unless my phone was in my hand held up in front of my face, or I had my phone in a front chest shirt pocket.

Third time using them one fell out of my ear down a literal storm drain while I was on a run.

I was going to sell them and buy something like the rowkin or dot set that might actually stay in my ear.

Oh well :( Using them was frustrating as fuck tbh, even having my phone in my pocket was enough for the audio signal to cut in and out.

The audio was garbage unless my phone was in my hand held up in front of my face, or I had my phone in a front chest shirt pocket.

This sounds so much like how I've always imagined the AirPod experience to actually be that it almost feels like a targeted anti-ad.

This sounds so much like how I've always imagined the AirPod experience to actually be that it almost feels like a targeted anti-ad.

I really like the way they feel in my hand (seem to be built well) and LOVE the idea of the case.

The reason I never bought them was
- Regular apple headphones even the new ones were trash both in terms of audio and ergonomics in my opinion.
- Price because I'm incredibly rough with headphones/washing them constantly in my shorts etc. I literally bought 20 pairs of the cheap panasonic ones that are actually shockingly nice for the price last year because I destroy a pair every 5-8 weeks.

So I was actually pretty excited to get them as a gift.

Maybe someone else on craigslist lost their left one and I can sell them my left one + the case as a 2nd battery idk. If you keep your phone in front of you at a table/desk/treadmill stand + like the shape of apple headphones + aren't rough on your headphones like me I'd recommend them I guess.

If you don't like the shape, or want your phone to be in your pocket? Stay away imo.

Giolon

I really like the way they feel in my hand (seem to be built well) and LOVE the idea of the case.

The reason I never bought them was
- Regular apple headphones even the new ones were trash both in terms of audio and ergonomics in my opinion.
- Price because I'm incredibly rough with headphones/washing them constantly in my shorts etc. I literally bought 20 pairs of the cheap panasonic ones that are actually shockingly nice for the price last year because I destroy a pair every 5-8 weeks.

So I was actually pretty excited to get them as a gift.

Maybe someone else on craigslist lost their left one and I can sell them my left one + the case as a 2nd battery idk. If you keep your phone in front of you at a table/desk/treadmill stand + like the shape of apple headphones + aren't rough on your headphones like me I'd recommend them I guess.

If you don't like the shape, or want your phone to be in your pocket? Stay away imo.

Single replacements can be obtained from Apple for like $70, so just sell it at a $70 discount, or get it yourself and sell the whole thing as a complete package.

Single replacements can be obtained from Apple for like $70, so just sell it at a $70 discount, or get it yourself and sell the whole thing as a complete package.

Oh I had no idea they actually did that, thanks for the info. I didn't even think to check because.....I am dumb about stuff sometimes.

Fhtagn

Ok, so it's possible that they just don't fit you (they don't fit in my wife's ears at all, they fit mine perfectly) but that last bit is totally impossible based on my experience, I've had them work fine through walls from other rooms. Do you have an iPhone?

from macrumors:

With a device that has iOS 11 installed, pair your AirPods and configure what you want the AirPods to do via double tap.

When you go to use your AirPods on a device with iOS 10 installed, you'll still have those gestures. However, you won't be able to customize them from that device in the same way an iOS 11 device can. Also, changing the settings from iOS 10 will clear the functionality.

Ok, so it's possible that they just don't fit you (they don't fit in my wife's ears at all, they fit mine perfectly) but that last bit is totally impossible based on my experience, I've had them work fine through walls from other rooms. Do you have an iPhone?

Tried it both with my android and my wifes iphone from this year.

antibolo

Banned
I've yet to have any signal loss with mine unless I'm like 10 meters away from the paired device.

There's something wrong with your AirPods or your phone.

Giolon

I've yet to have any signal loss with mine unless I'm like 10 meters away from the paired device.

There's something wrong with your AirPods or your phone.

A friend of mine had really bad signal loss with his AirPods and an iPhone 6S. Apple tried replacing both the AirPods and the 6S and it still had issues, so they ended up refunding him the AirPods, letting him keep them, keep the new replacement 6S, and gave him a set of Powerbeats3 for free as an apology.

I've seen more than a couple at my community college here in northern California. It'll be nice when I'm not the only one walking around with them

jts

...hate me...
I can officially now say that AirPods are a common sight in NYC, finally I don't look weird wearing them
That's cool, in my particular neck of the woods I've never came across with anyone else but me with them yet :(

Surprised me that I don't actually give a fuck though lol. In my mind they're barely visible. Even if they weren't... people use far weirder things.

holygeesus

Banned
Finally managed to source a 2nd pair of these for the other half. Gawd damn, officially the hardest time I've ever had trying to secure an Apple product.

holygeesus

Banned
Heh so a weird thing happened. Set up the missus's pair, and they sound pretty different to mine (better) and then I realised, for whatever reason, mine were on an old firmware version. Clearly Apple tweak audio profiles between firmware revisions as there was quite a change when trying them side by side.

Since updating mine they now sound the same, but I am getting a few very brief drop-outs when using my MacBook Pro, although my iPhone seems fine. I have a shedload of bluetooth devices in the house though so I wonder if it is some kind of interference.

Just got mine on Friday. They're perfect for me use case: Listening to shit in the office but need to hear if coworkers are calling me. Same for around the house and needing to hear family.

Heh so a weird thing happened. Set up the missus's pair, and they sound pretty different to mine (better) and then I realised, for whatever reason, mine were on an old firmware version. Clearly Apple tweak audio profiles between firmware revisions as there was quite a change when trying them side by side.

Since updating mine they now sound the same, but I am getting a few very brief drop-outs when using my MacBook Pro, although my iPhone seems fine. I have a shedload of bluetooth devices in the house though so I wonder if it is some kind of interference.

How do you update the firmware on airpods??

holygeesus

Banned
Just got mine on Friday. They're perfect for me use case: Listening to shit in the office but need to hear if coworkers are calling me. Same for around the house and needing to hear family.

How do you update the firmware on airpods??

I followed these instructions

Connect to wifi.
Open AirPod case.
Go to about. Select AirPod.

Count to 30. Shut AirPod case.
Count to 30. Open AirPod case.

Check about on AirPod settings. Mine was updated just now. Took a few tries though.

Case doesn't need to be connected to a charger.

I have no idea why mine didn't update automatically as they should, but this method forces the update anyway.

holygeesus

Banned
Also my MacBook dropouts seem limited to the Spotify app so I guess it is that playing up. I find it strange too how audio quality varies between devices. My iPhone SE is notably better than my Pro.

Vuze

I returned the earskinz because they dramatically cut off the mids with their dumb grille in front of the speaker. Might try these instead: https://www.amazon.com/EarBuddyz-Air...dp/B019BREFE4/
Yeah, they are a waste of money. It's a PITA to put them on and off and they barely add any noise canceling which was the major thing I anticipated from them. Also audio signature is... different as you said. I guess I can't return them though, overseas and all.

Rootbeer

Banned
I can officially now say that AirPods are a common sight in NYC, finally I don't look weird wearing them
Here in San Francisco I have been seeing earpods everywhere I go, like 10 sightings a day easily and I don't get out that much. It's really blowing up.

Still considering getting some. I'm very much in the market on a set of decent bluetooth earbuds, just haven't been able to commit to something yet

SuperPac

Still makes me chuckle in Switch threads when ppl complain about Nintendo not making enough (as if it's only a matter of waving a magic wand to create supply), and then you have the most profitable company in the world still unable to meet demand/stock on a pair of bluetooth headphones.

Back on topic - Sometimes, they connect right away to my iPhone when I stick them in my ear. Other times I wait a while before taking them out and putting them back in my ear to get them to register. I wish they were a little bit quicker on that especially if audio is playing on a device already.

Vuze

It finally happened: saw my first pair in the wild here in Austria. Dude was a mid-aged man using them to call sb, he seemed as perplex as me seeing another pair lol.

My AirPods have given me renewed appreciation of my Vita.

Lack of Bluetooth audio support on the Switch is lame as hell. Especially given how piss poor weak the max volume on the headphone port is.

PSA: with the new Switch firmware patch, they removed the sound dampening.

holygeesus

Banned
It finally happened: saw my first pair in the wild here in Austria. Dude was a mid-aged man using them to call sb, he seemed as perplex as me seeing another pair lol.

I've not seen anyone around here (east England) with a pair, and I too am a middle-aged gent! I do a lot of cycling and walking and they are an absolute boon for that. I never realised how annoying wires were until there were none. I actually think the audio quality is a little underrated too.

I wonder how long it'll be before Apple starts packing these in with iPhones as the default earbuds. I could see it happening as early as 2019.

How good are these for stuff like running and basketball?

I've funded some air by crazybaby and they're playing games with sending orders out to backers so I might cancel.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I've funded some air by crazybaby and they're playing games with sending orders out to backers so I might cancel.

I regularly do HIIT/Crossfit style workouts with these.. everything from running to jumping, jump ropes, burpees, muscle ups, etc.. never even budged.

my biggest concern with them is sweat.. but so far they seem to work perfectly. just worried that one day functions will stop working as sweat takes its toll.

giga

Run with them every week and they're great. I do have to wipe clean the sweat from my ears though sometimes but that's not a biggie.

These things are premium like the pencil. They will probably always be an expensive accessory

I get that (and I'm curious to see how Apple improves the AirPods and the Apple Pencil in the future) but I feel like eventually Apple's going to want to get rid of the Lightning port too.

Top Bottom