• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple arcade is actually good!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
So I picked up the most powerful set top streaming box ever made to see what's it's about.

Apple 4k 128gb 2022 version. With this it includes 3 free months of apple arcade and then $5 a month after that if you want to continue.

I am honestly blown away. The games look bright and crisp on my 55" 4k tv. There is a ton of variety spanning almost all genres, just overall really fun games. Big thumbs up and highly recommend.

Commericals in my forums :p

this_is_fine.jpg

Yes, it’s Fantasian shown above. It’s great if you like old school JRPGs, looks amazing.

Yooooo, talk about getting Ninja'd.

Will sure try it out, thanks. That was the only game I was interested during that Apple Arcade debut showcase in of games. Mostly because of Gooch and MW.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I liked it at first, but it only took me about a week to go through the interesting games. After that it felt lacking and I stopped paying for it.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
You can consume most of the good content within the 3-month free period, so I think there is no need to continue the membership after that(even 1 month is enough). They need to bring more to the table. I'm thinking of trying Fantasian sometime.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I’ve only tried it once and all I found was mobile games and indies. Their catalogue seemed very lacking.

What's wrong with Indies*?

To some degree, if you're going to judge games at radically different price points by the same aesthetic standards you're going to find something comes up lacking.

*mobile games, of course are different.

Quasicat

We’ve had it for a while. The games look and play great on the Apple TV. I love how you can share it with your family and the price stays the same. Plus, I refuse to allow my kids to play most mobile free to play stuff because of the micro transactions, but this takes those out so they can just enjoy the gameplay.

Robb

Gold Member
What's wrong with Indies*?

To some degree, if you're going to judge games at radically different price points by the same aesthetic standards you're going to find something comes up lacking.
Nothing. But just as I have zero interest in subscribing to a streaming service that only consist of garbage movies alongside indie movies I have no interest in subscribing to a gaming service with a similar library.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I enjoyed the free trial I got when I bought my last MacBook but it wasn't worth staying subscribed every month. It's not a bad service. I'll occasionally up for a month if I'm into some mobile game and don't want to be pestered with ads and begging the whole time.

I miss when you could just pay 3 bucks for a mobile game and just play it ad-free for the couple of days it held your attention. Now they seem want you to buy more gems to play another 15 minutes. No thanks.

Last edited:

whyman

I just got into it and I have to say it’s pretty great now. Card Jockey and Mini Motorways are worth it alone. If you have never tried it and have a free trail or extra cash, I would recommend trying it.

Lone Wolf

For $50 more (when on sale) a Series S will stream every app that an Apple TV has, and a game library about 1000 times better. Apple TV is not worth it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
For $50 more (when on sale) a Series S will stream every app that an Apple TV has, and a game library about 1000 times better. Apple TV is not worth it.
You can't carry it around in your pocket, though. Apple Arcade also lets you play on your phone.

Last edited:

stranno

I still want to try Frogger. I think they announced some Apple Arcade to Switch ports some time ago, but didn't see anything new.

T-Cake

What are the must plays? Finding a complete list on the tvOS interface is nigh on impossible.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I tried it for an hour when I got my iPhone 14 and I thought it was pathetic. I did get 3 months free and deleted that shit after an hour. Complete waste of time.

sainraja

So I picked up the most powerful set top streaming box ever made to see what's it's about.

Apple 4k 128gb 2022 version. With this it includes 3 free months of apple arcade and then $5 a month after that if you want to continue.

I am honestly blown away. The games look bright and crisp on my 55" 4k tv. There is a ton of variety spanning almost all genres, just overall really fun games. Big thumbs up and highly recommend.

Yeah, I think people unfairly dismiss it.

phant0m

I agree OP, it's the only place to find "real" games on mobile.

For those that don't know, games released under Apple Arcade are not allowed to have loot boxes or f2p mechanics like "energy/stamina" that inhibit player progress unless you buy more. The games must also be playable while offline.

I know we love to hate on mobile gaming and Apple's walled garden but from a gamer perspective I think they're doing a lot of the right things.

How does it rank on a scale from 1 (Ouya) to 10 (Stadia)?

It was around before Stadia and is still around after it, so.... 11? Also you get every single game under the service so you don't need to subscribe to the service AND still buy games individually 🙃

Last edited:

Gamer79

Agreed mobile style games without the micro transactions. I am hoping they port vampire survivors over to Apple tv

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You can't carry it around in your pocket, though. Apple Arcade also lets you play on your phone.

Speak for yourself, series S fits just fine in my pocket along with a screen and a battery. I can even fit a 6 pack in there too, and a snack.

Gamer79

Modern games have become so complicated. It's nice to play games that are less complex but equally fun. I have a ps5. Switch, and a decent gaming pc. I appreciate the blockbusters just as much as anyone else. With that said, simplicity is a lost art. Simplify also does not mean less fun.

The device is not perfect, I have had some stutter from the chip getting hot. Probably throttling at times. With that said it's for a 1 teraflop gpu (3x switch, PS3, Xbox 360) just slightly below Xbox one and ps4. The cpu outscores ps5 per core just has less of them. (5vs8)

It can push games at 4k. Here is some potential of it but can play more graphic heavy games.

Deanington

Yeah it’s a diorama model photographed with macro lens and sometimes with short focal length. Looks great tbh even though there is a clash between the sharp polygon models and the softer photographs.

HPGV0dP.jpg

The jagged, loss of detail, and over all character design seem out of place compared to the backdrop of the game. To me at least.

calistan

Go play Fantasian

pfpwFF8.jpg

and Wonderbox The Adventure Maker, absolute blast if you own an iPad too and like creating your own adventure game.
I’d love to play that. But I want to buy it rather than take out yet another subscription.

I don’t like the way Apple Arcade games are exclusive to the service. I had it on a free deal for a few months, never found anything I really liked, and forgot to cancel, so ended up inadvertently paying for it after the trial. At least Game Pass gives you the option of buying individual games.

Fredrik

I’d love to play that. But I want to buy it rather than take out yet another subscription.

I don’t like the way Apple Arcade games are exclusive to the service. I had it on a free deal for a few months, never found anything I really liked, and forgot to cancel, so ended up inadvertently paying for it after the trial. At least Game Pass gives you the option of buying individual games.
Don’t limit yourself that way, it’s dirt cheap, don’t miss out, it’s a good game.

Top Bottom