• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple designer invents $12,000 hour glass, which contains non-nano sized "nanoballs"

Vuze

I just came for the shitpots, wasn't disappointed. The one guy rocking a car brand logo and calling brand fanboys idiots was my favorite.

Re hour glass: I mean... it looks nice I guess? Obv a collectors item with that price tag and only 100pc made.

kinda feeling like a goof for not using my white male privilege to become a "luxury" product designer. dude's already sold six of these? goddamn

J-Rod

I remember touring the FBI building in DC when I was a kid and they had an hour glass on display that supposedly used diamond sand. Said it was confiscated off a mobster. Just thought I'd share.

LeleSocho

Banned
There is really so much people around here that doesn't understand what a design object is? Or people are so taken by the fact that an Apple designer made it that they turn off their brain?

Find me another just like it for cheaper, then. You can't. And then ones made by this designer. Unless the Mona Lisa paintings by the Florida NYC transplant are exactly the same as Davinci's.

One is a piece of history the other a commodity.

The mona lisa is a bad example since it's a) supposedly commissioned work and b) there's literally a very good copy by, once again assumed, one of da Vinci's students.

Kinyou

The irony is that these balls being nanosized would defeat the entire point. The difference to a normal sand hourglass seems to be that you can see the individual balls and how they form patterns.

This thing looks almost identical (including the "nano"balls) and only costs $80: https://esington.com/products/esington-glass-medium

Rich people are dumb.
Ok, this is hilarious. Any idea who was first?

Edit: the $80 one is from 2014

It does have the positive side effect that an $80 hourglass suddenly seems like a total bargain.

gcubed

I think it's very pretty and cool.. Not 12k cool, but pretty cool

The $80 one uses silica, these are tiny ball bearings basically, which would produce a different effect. Again not $12k different

Fuchsdh

It's very pretty and hilariously expensive.

Also, hilarious how sticking Apple in the title encourages random Apple complaints, even if it has no actual relation to the topic at point.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's pretty I guess.

I don't think most of us who browse this forum are part of the market for this. Something this expensive and overengineered is probably for the filthy rich types who want something cool and outrageously expensive to put on their desk to show everyone else how rich they are. People who have more money than they know what to do with.

daveo42

Banned
I'm glad Apple finally decided to invent a way to tell time.

Jesus Christ tho...that price for a fucking hourglass.

peakish

It's very pretty and hilariously expensive.

Also, hilarious how sticking Apple in the title encourages random Apple complaints, even if it has no actual relation to the topic at point.
It's the power of a thread title. The word "invent" does not appear anywhere on the product web page or from what I can tell in the video (I don't want to listen to that pap another time so not double checking it). Nor does the word "Apple". The news site on the other hand uses the word "reinvent" and references Apple, which is leveraged into the thread title. This finally turns into seven posts mentioning "invent" and some twenty posts mentioning "Apple" in the thread, although some posts are seemingly ironic and others question why it is highlighted at all (mostly on the first page).

It's pretty I guess.

I don't think most of us who browse this forum are part of the market for this. Something this expensive and overengineered is probably for the filthy rich types who want something cool and outrageously expensive to put on their desk to show everyone else how rich they are. People who have more money than they know what to do with.

Yes. And as you and someone else said, this one actually looks fancy unlike the gold Apple Watch and other overpriced designer shit. Rich people need to find ways to spend their money on pretty stuff, whole industries rely on that, it's a good thing.

chekhonte

The $80 one uses silica, these are tiny ball bearings basically, which would produce a different effect. Again not $12k different

his are probably silica also since that's the usual material for very small ball bearings.

This kind of nonsense is coming from a forum where a large number of members jump over themselves for trash like Amiibo, POP figures, limited edition video game sets, new hardware that plays decades old games (mini NES classic system), and rebuys game hardware with new coloring.

Give me a break. It's a beautiful object. Is it expensive? Depends on who you ask. I sure as hell wouldn't be caught with an Amiibo but that doesn't stop half of GAF waiting over night in the cold rain for them.

Does it have a 3.5mm jack? No? Sold!

If I wanted to spend $12K on a timepiece I'd buy a Rolex.

This is for people for whom a Rolex is plebeian.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's silica.

Stainless steel balls aren't exactly the most expensive material in the world either.

The website says they're steel? Is the silica simply the coating? I don't know.

Esington Glass productivity timers are filled with millions of solid steel nanospheres. These make the glasses unique and give them a spectacular visual effect as the spheres bounce chaotically around the glass. This also produces a wonderful white noise.

https://esington.com/

DMCMKlz.gif

number11

If you think this is expensive, then you're obviously not the target market. Rich people buy stupid stuff all the time just because they can.

eot

Banned
I wouldn't pay 12k for it, but I think it's neat. Don't get why people are shitting on it, it's a limited edition hand crafted item.

Fhtagn

You really just gonna call Marc Newson an Apple designer...

Yeah, this guy was hired by Apple fairly recently, because of his other design work. Highlighting Apple is basically clickbait and causing a lot of drive by posting.

It's an interesting take on an old tool, with a price that reflects it's market. You can find a lot of stuff that's less well designed for 10x the price. Rich people buy dumb shit just because they can, and this doesn't strike me as particularly egregious judged in that context.

That there are people rich enough to afford this without much thought while millions are starving is way more galling to me than that this exists, you know?

Fliesen

Oh ok I see.

The gold and copper colored ones are silica balls, half the weight of steel.
They did sell a pure steel version though. So you could definitely find the cheaper design of this product with some digging.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/esington/esington-glass-the-ultimate-productivity-timer/

EDIT:

Here's the steel version sold out: $60
https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/esington-hour-glass/esington-glass-steel-nanospheres

But that one's not designed by Marc Newson.

---------

I don't understand how some people have such a hard time grasping the fact that there's things in life that aren't just valued by their functional merits (nobody really needs an hour glass nowadays, duh).

It's a decorative object by one of the most famous designers in the world, it's priced accordingly. Nobody is saying "well, that's a very reasonably priced hour glass".

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I don't understand how some people have such a hard time grasping the fact that there's things in life that aren't just valued by their functional merits (nobody really needs an hour glass nowadays, duh).

It's a decorative object by one of the most famous designers in the world, it's priced accordingly. Nobody is saying "well, that's a very reasonably priced hour glass".

That wasn't the question.
People were looking for the similar product for cheaper. And it was found.

Obviously it' not 100% identical, but the alternative is there.

I have no problem with the price of the Marc Newson hourglass. It's actually cheaper than I expected compared to the price of his originals in 2011.

Fliesen

That wasn't the question.
People were looking for the similar product for cheaper. And it was found.

Obviously it' not 100% identical, but the alternative is there.

I have no problem with the price of the Marc Newsom hourglass. It's actually cheaper than I expected compared the price of his originals in 2011.

yeah, sorry, i should have drawn a big fat line between my first sentence and the 2nd paragraph, Anything but the first line wasn't really pointed at you in particular, but really about the OP and some of the posts here. My bad.

The problem is there is nothing new, special, or even remotely original in the design. It's a run of the mill hourglass that you can buy for insanely cheaper elsewhere. He is charging for his name alone, which means nothing if the design isn't something special.

dose

Yes, this is an hourglass.

No, it's really not.

hourglass
[ouuh r-glas, -glahs, ou-er-]

an instrument for measuring time, consisting of two bulbs of glass joined by a narrow passage through which a quantity of sand or mercury runs in just an hour.

Top Bottom