• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple designer invents $12,000 hour glass, which contains non-nano sized "nanoballs"

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The problem is there is nothing new, special, or even remotely original in the design. It's a run of the mill hourglass that you can buy for insanely cheaper elsewhere. He is charging for his name alone, which means nothing if the design isn't something special.

It was something special back in 2011. I can't find evidence of anyone else using metal balls in an hourglass earlier than that.

The highly durable glass is hand blown from a single piece, not fused together from a couple of cheap pieces like all the other ones you see. He also had others with 100% copper and 100% gold balls which cost considerably more of course.

Of course he was a highly established designer by then, so his name alone carries a lot of weight and adds to the price.

Samsung will have one made by Pyrex and sell it for $12.

It'll be a little bigger, have more balls in it and it'll fit in any cup holder.

-your move, Apple.

Alebrije

-Dear, I am afraid little Richi broke your new nanoballs hourglass.

-Really!!! , well do not worry I will order two more to have one on stock just in case.

-Good. Do they have one with pink nanoballs?

-Do not know but will ask if they can do one for a few extra bucks.

-Thanks, would be great to have it.

Source : 1% Tragic stories

Choabac

It's the power of a thread title. The word "invent" does not appear anywhere on the product web page or from what I can tell in the video (I don't want to listen to that pap another time so not double checking it). Nor does the word "Apple". The news site on the other hand uses the word "reinvent" and references Apple, which is leveraged into the thread title. This finally turns into seven posts mentioning "invent" and some twenty posts mentioning "Apple" in the thread, although some posts are seemingly ironic and others question why it is highlighted at all (mostly on the first page).

OP here. I used Apple designer because that was in the original news site article. You can still find the title by looking through google. Other news sites since also referred to Marc as Apple designer since then. They also use words such as create etc to describe his invention.
CtIkxiF.png

If I could fit his name in the title I would have added that too alongside his well-known position.

I'm a scientist who conducts research in nanotechnology so I primarily editorialised the headline to mock their marketing term of "nanoballs". Which is why I focused on that in the content of the first post and then later on in the thread with their approximation of nanoballs in each hourglass.

You would be surprised how many scientist even pitch their own stuff as nanoscaled or nano-features when they are anything but. So the idea of something being called nano when it's not, is almost a running gag even amongst my colleagues.

I actually think the piece is cool, and micronballs are a better choice than nanoparticles for this application. But doubt that even if I had that level of disposable income, it would be something I buy for $12k.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OP here. I used Apple designer because that was in the original news site article. You can still find the title by looking through google. Other news sites since also referred to Marc as Apple designer since then.

If I could fit his name in the title I would have added that too alongside his well-known position.

I'm a scientist who conducts research in nanotechnology so I primarily editorialised the headline to mock their marketing term of "nanoballs". Which is why I focused on that in the content of the first post and then later on in the thread with their approximation of nanoballs in each hourglass.

You would be surprised how many scientist even pitch their own stuff as nanoscaled or nano features when their anything but. So the idea of something being called nano when it's not is a almost a running gag even amongst my colleagues.

I actually think the piece is cool, and micronballs are a better choice then nanoparticles for this application. But doubt that even if I had that level of disposable income, it would be something I buy for $12k.

Can you do the math to calculate how quickly the balls would go through the hourglass if they were actually 'nano' scale?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was gonna say this is old news because he's been making these for a while, but this is indeed a new model.

Yeah, this might be some kind of surprise to OP, but $12K is like a chump change in the world of high end designer watchmaking.

Lil Marco

Banned
Christ, give it to apple, let them slap the letter i in front of it and they would have idiots lining up around the block to buy one at 30 grand a pop in a week.

This is not an apple product.

Reading comprehension seems to be low priority on these types of threads when GAF tries to get their edgy hot takes out as fast as possible. Happens every time the word "apple" is mentioned in an article.

Choabac

Can you do the math to calculate how quickly the balls would go through the hourglass if they were actually 'nano' scale?

Typically actual nanoparticles are colloidal suspensions in a buffer so they are basically a liquid. If you remove the buffer they would just dry out and stick to the tube. Which is why Marc using micronballs was a better choice in an hourglass, especially because he wanted to hit the sweet spot between solid moving almost like a liquid through a device and making a sound as it hits the bottom. I suppose a water clock would be a better application for nanoparticles.

Here are some 50 nm gold nanoparticles in citrate

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/742007?lang=en&region=AU

gold-colloids-wcopy.jpg

Above image from another site showing how light behaves different in a colloid depending on size of gold nanoparticles.

And 6 nm quantum dots in toluene.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/753742?lang=en&region=AU

photolumin-scence-of-alloyed-quantum-dots.jpg

peakish

OP here. I used Apple designer because that was in the original news site article. You can still find the title by looking through google. Other news sites since also referred to Marc as Apple designer since then. They also use words such as create etc to describe his invention.

You would be surprised how many scientist even pitch their own stuff as nanoscaled or nano-features when they are anything but. So the idea of something being called nano when it's not, is a almost a running gag even amongst my colleagues.

I actually think the piece is cool, and micronballs are a better choice than nanoparticles for this application. But doubt that even if I had that level of disposable income, it would be something I buy for $12k.
Hah, yeah, using "nano" as a buzzword deserves some snark. I love the "non-nano sized 'nanoballs'" part of the title, it's great! Just wish that more people would read the OP text and not draw conclusions straight from the title (although I know that I'm guilty of this sometimes).

Edit: Reading the Kickstarter for that other hourglass is pretty fun because it's rebilling an already existing technique as "The Esington Method." I heard of this first as the "Pomodoro Technique" and I have no idea if that's the origin or another copycat trying to make money by selling a technique as something new (and make money from an hourglass designed specifically for it).

Top Bottom