• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Media Event |OT| 'We Still Have a Lot to Cover'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have performance reviews for the 13" MBPr?

I haven't written a review yet, but I have posted a few impressions on my 13" rMBP. I haven't had to do anything to really push it yet, but everything is super smooth and fast. I got the $1499 model with 8GB RAM/256 SSD and I'm extremely happy. Start-up time is insane. Feels like 5 seconds or so. Really fast and powerful. I'm going to try doing som editing in iMovie in the next day or so and see how functional it is.

TUSR

Banned
The 0.2Ghz difference in processors between the 256/512GB 13" MBPr's isn't actually going to make any real world difference is it?

macbook-pro-benchmarks-graphics.jpg

For graphics

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I've said it elsewhere, and even in this thread I think... but every review seems to end up agreeing that the *only* negative regarding the top-end 15" is the price. Perfect screen. Perfect touchpad. Perfect build quality. And all things considered, the best CPU and GPU combo you could ask for. The best SSD on the market. Super light. Killer battery life. Brand new OS. Good speakers and a plethora of I/O. It's quite literally a no-compromise laptop; it checks every.single.box. But again....that price :-/

Probably not. Otherwise reviewers would do benchmarks for every speed. It's probably negligible these days. Aim for the other specs first. Or get the i7 if you really want a difference.

macbook-pro-benchmarks-graphics.jpg

For graphics

Thanks for the help guys!
I'm gonna order the higher end model tomorrow solely because the 256GB drive would become restrictive extremely quickly. I guess I'll take the minor processor increase as a negligible advantage too although having to pay an extra £250 for it and more storage space is ridiculous.....

(I'm still REALLY excited though!!)

NYR

Been going through the Build To Order options for days now, can't decide. Employee Canadian Pricing.

OPTION 1
15" rMBP 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
+
NO APPLECARE

$2691

OR

OPTION 2
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
+
APPLECARE

$2955

OR

OPTION 3
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
1 TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
+
NO APPLECARE

$3081

OR

OPTION 4 - #YOLO
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
1 TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
+
APPLECARE

$3415

I can afford the YOLO model, but don't know if I should. Cash isn't the question, it is more value. Processor upgrade for $184 is reasonable. $460 seems like an incredible amount to pay for an additional 512 GB. Still out on Apple Care - I had it on my Mid-2010 iMac, used it only once to repair a fault in the Hard Drive. All other problems I just did a re-install.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've said it elsewhere, and even in this thread I think... but every review seems to end up agreeing that the *only* negative regarding the top-end 15" is the price. Perfect screen. Perfect touchpad. Perfect build quality. And all things considered, the best CPU and GPU combo you could ask for. The best SSD on the market. Super light. Killer battery life. Brand new OS. Good speakers and a plethora of I/O. It's quite literally a no-compromise laptop; it checks every.single.box. But again....that price :-/
Doesn't mean the review won't be awesome to read. I especially like looking at benchmarks that include the model I currently have and how much better the new one is. The 15" rPro is gonna be like 2-3 times longer on all its bar graphs.

sikma42

Banned
Justot back from the apple store. Was surprised AT&T he lack of key travel on the 13 inch MacBook Pro retina. Also, coming from Windows it seems like learning OS X will take awhile.

Been going through the Build To Order options for days now, can't decide. Employee Canadian Pricing.

---snip--

I can afford the YOLO model, but don't know if I should. Cash isn't the question, it is more value. Processor upgrade for $184 is reasonable. $460 seems like an incredible amount to pay for an additional 512 GB. Still out on Apple Care - I had it on my Mid-2010 iMac, used it only once to repair a fault in the Hard Drive. All other problems I just did a re-install.

What are you planning on using it for?

I just got my Haswell version and this is certainly a machine without compromise. It's so stupidly incredibly fast with such a terrific screen and the speakers are so good for a laptop. But yes, paying $3200 for a laptop with Applecare certainly isn't fun.

I still use my 7.5 year Core Duo white MacBook. I mean it's not like it's my main computer but it still does just fine for casual use, web browsing, etc..

We're about to hand down an old Mid 2009 MacBook Pro to a friend as we go through the hand me down cycle. Even with it getting past four years old the machine is perfectly serviceable with Mavericks on it. The memory compression alone has given it a new lease of life.

kennah

Yep. My 2.8 c2duo is performing like brand new. Every days tasks are great and the only trouble i'm noticing is games or rendering.

Tom_Cody

What is the current consensus regarding Apple TV?

I recently jumped into the Apple ecosystem with a 5S and now I'm planning to get an iPad Air. I really want to have the functionality of the Apple TV in my living room but I don't want to throw my money away if a redesign is imminent. That said, they're only $100. As of right now I'm leaning towards just getting a used/refurbished one. I normally don't buy used products but at least that way I can go in with the expectation that I will be upgrading soon.

Is anyone else in this predicament?

LCfiner

What is the current consensus regarding Apple TV?

I recently jumped into the Apple ecosystem with a 5S and now I'm planning to get an iPad Air. I really want to have the functionality of the Apple TV in my living room but I don't want to throw my money away if a redesign is imminent. That said, they're only $100. As of right now I'm leaning towards just getting a used/refurbished one. I normally don't buy used products but at least that way I can go in with the expectation that I will be upgrading soon.

Is anyone else in this predicament?

If they were going to update the hardware in 2013, thy would have done it last week. I wouldn't expect anything new till mid 2014 at the earliest. just grab that refurbed model (I have one) and enjoy. Airplay is great.

Tom_Cody

If they were going to update the hardware in 2013, thy would have done it last week. I wouldn't expect anything new till mid 2014 at the earliest. just grab that refurbed model (I have one) and enjoy. Airplay is great.
Thanks. It's always nice to get validation when you aren't completely confident in a plan.

The current Apple TV is quite nice by the way. It easily supports 1080p video, so I'm not sure what the next upgrade will bring. Its a bit early for 4k really, although rumors suggest that Apple may bring a 4k TV to market. We'll see, but quite honestly there really isn't a reason to not buy an Apple TV. The price is right, it does lots of good things and I use mine every day.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So any hints at the iPad Mini 2 release? We thinking a few weeks still? It's going to drop on the same day as the Xbox One or PS4 isn't it? RIP my wallet.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
An Apple TV is a great accessory for your iDevices and with using your TV as a second screen in Mavericks it's become even more useful. They're cheap enough, I'd recommend one.

Fusebox

Banned
Absolutely loving my new rMBP 13" mid-range, I haven't owned a Macbook for about 10 years and even though I'm not about to replace my Win 7 desktop I can't see myself going back to a Windows laptop in a long while.

Is there an apple or MacBook thread? I wanna ask questions but I guess I'll do it here.

Really want to get the 15" but the 13" is a lot more affordable.

How big of a difference does the extra 2" make? And how much better overall is the 15" compared to the 13"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom