• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Asked for a replacement for my iPad Pro online, the screen made a creaking sound whenever I pushed the bottom half of the screen, and was driving me nuts.
§
They told me to take it to the nearest store (which is a reseller, there's no apple stores here) and wait for their opinion. As soon as I told them I had AppleCare, whole different story: replacement iPad coming your way asap!

I just really don't want to deal with the reseller waiting times, they're not fast by any means.

So if your iPad is making a clicky sound, either take it to Apple Store or order a replacement online!
Mine dose it intermittently. Usually a few minutes after turning it on. Most of the time it's fine though.

I have another issue. My iPad Pro 12" has gone from 47% battery to 1% in the space of a reset (Slide to turn off). It doesn't appear to be accepting the charger now, or myiPhone charger. It has been stuck at 1% for a couple of hours.

TuvAwVi.jpg

Well I got about three and half hours of usage with it reading 1% battery the entire time before it actually ran out. It won't charge up at all now. ☹️️

Is this is a battery issue rather than a lightning problem? Seems like it.

Hope Apple can do something about it.

Chao

Well I got about three and half hours of usage with it reading 1% battery the entire time before it actually ran out. It won't charge up at all now. ☹️️

Is this is a battery issue rather than a lightning problem? Seems like it.

Hope Apple can do something about it.

Make sure there's nothing obstructing the charging port, happens all the time with iphones -they collect pocket lint and it prevents them from charging - and although it's unlikely an ipad would collect so much shit because we're not carrying them all the time like we do with phones, better check. Stick a paper clip in there and see if something comes out

Make sure there's nothing obstructing the charging port, happens all the time with iphones -they collect pocket lint and it prevents them from charging - and although it's unlikely an ipad would collect so much shit because we're not carrying them all the time like we do with phones, better check. Stick a paper clip in there and see if something comes out
Thanks. It wasn't that. I'll try Apple at the weekend.

Its a really weird fault. Around 3 hours usage on 1% battery. Bizarre.

hitmon

I recently updated my iPad pro to OS 10.0.0.2, but now it seems to be having issues charging. I had no problem until I updated the OS a few minutes ago. Any idea how to fix this or is it just a UI bug? I plug it in and it starts to charge, but then it changes to not charging.

Update: I left the cable plugged in and restarted, unplugged the cable and the battery percentage went up. I'm hoping this is just buggy UI, anybody else experience this?

Just got an ipad pro with the pencil for drawing. I had a surface pro 3 and this thing is so much better. Love how there is a 1:1 contact with the screen and pencil. Only thing I don't like is how it doesn't have a magnetic charge clip like a macbook. The one they use is horrible

Laekon

Best Buy is running another iPad sale right now and I'm wondering if the Pro is the wrong choice for me. I use an iPad 4 as my main home internet device but I've been looking to upgrade for awhile now as its been feeling slow. I use it for the web, the kindle app, social media, email, a few youtube subs, and streaming music to a bluetooth speaker. I don't do any drawing or gaming. The Pro is $500 and the Air 2 is $175 cheaper at $325. I know the Air 2 is years old right now but my usage isn't really demanding.

I've yet to see the Pro 9.7 up on the Apple refurb store and the $100 sale is better then the normal 15-18% off on refurbs.

japtor

Best Buy is running another iPad sale right now and I'm wondering if the Pro is the wrong choice for me. I use an iPad 4 as my main home internet device but I've been looking to upgrade for awhile now as its been feeling slow. I use it for the web, the kindle app, social media, email, a few youtube subs, and streaming music to a bluetooth speaker. I don't do any drawing or gaming. The Pro is $500 and the Air 2 is $175 cheaper at $325. I know the Air 2 is years old right now but my usage isn't really demanding.

I've yet to see the Pro 9.7 up on the Apple refurb store and the $100 sale is better then the normal 15-18% off on refurbs.
I think the Air 2 would be ok (I'm on an iPad mini 4 which is somewhat similar spec wise, dual instead of triple core, less GPU), the big benefit is the 2GB RAM for browsing and things generally sticking around in memory more. CPU wise I think the big jumps were A6 to 7, and 8 to 9 (and 9 to 10, but iPads don't have the A10 yet), so you should notice a nice boost regardless, but the iPad Pro will have another jump in performance beyond the Air 2. Play with them in store if you can I guess, for your use it sounds like the main difference will be primarily performance (maybe true tone screen if you care about that), and I'm not sure that'll be worth the $175 difference for you.

If you're worried about new ones coming there's rumors pointing to next spring, and there might be an event (or some product launch) this month but speculation is that it's for Macs.

Laekon

I think the Air 2 would be ok (I'm on an iPad mini 4 which is somewhat similar spec wise, dual instead of triple core, less GPU), the big benefit is the 2GB RAM for browsing and things generally sticking around in memory more. CPU wise I think the big jumps were A6 to 7, and 8 to 9 (and 9 to 10, but iPads don't have the A10 yet), so you should notice a nice boost regardless, but the iPad Pro will have another jump in performance beyond the Air 2. Play with them in store if you can I guess, for your use it sounds like the main difference will be primarily performance (maybe true tone screen if you care about that), and I'm not sure that'll be worth the $175 difference for you.

If you're worried about new ones coming there's rumors pointing to next spring, and there might be an event (or some product launch) this month but speculation is that it's for Macs.

Yeah I was thinking about the next updates but it seems weird for them to do it after just bumping memory specs on the non pro models. Apple has been doing weird shit recently though. In the past I normal try to update to the just replaced model when a new one is announced since there is a price drop. The Air 2 seems more then twice as fast as the iPad 4. The Pro seems to be only a half step above the Air 2.

Any of you people use a keyboard with your pro? I'm looking for one preferably that uses the smart connector Instead of bluetooth, but that limits the market hugely. I've a 9.7" iPad Pro.

kms_md

This will also be posted in the Buy/Trade thread.

I am selling the following for the 12" iPad Pro

1. Apple Pencil - $75
2. Apple Smart Keyboard - $100
3. Apple Silicone Case - $40

The keyboard and case are the charcoal grey color. I will sell all 3 for $200 together. I prefer Paypal (gift) or Amazon GC. I would prefer shipping in the US. Please PM if you have questions.

Thanks for reading.

Moreche

Sorry for bumping this thread but as much as I'd love to buy one of the new MBPs, when I look at what I really need an iPad is more than enough for what I want.
I'm going to wait to see what the next bigger Pro brings but how many apps have been updated to use the pencil, multi-tasking and bigger screen?
Are the speakers much better and is most people still happy with the 12.9 Pro?
Thanks.

Sorry for bumping this thread but as much as I'd love to buy one of the new MBPs, when I look at what I really need an iPad is more than enough for what I want.
I'm going to wait to see what the next bigger Pro brings but how many apps have been updated to use the pencil, multi-tasking and bigger screen?
Are the speakers much better and is most people still happy with the 12.9 Pro?
Thanks.

Im still in love with my 12.9. I find the size to be perfect

jts

...hate me...
Isn't it ironic that now that we have a Pro line of iPad, the iPad is about 6 months behind in silicon compared to the iPhone. That's whole halfway into the yearly Apple silicon cycle.

Previous mainline iPads were either early or at worst just a couple of months late (as was the Pro 12.9" at launch).

It feels wrong to me. "Fast enough" is not a good excuse. At least could do with some efficiency gains from a die shrink or something.

Isn't it ironic that now that we have a Pro line of iPad, the iPad is about 6 months behind in silicon compared to the iPhone. That's whole halfway into the yearly Apple silicon cycle.

Previous mainline iPads were either early or at worst just a couple of months late (as was the Pro 12.9" at launch).

It feels wrong to me. "Fast enough" is not a good excuse. At least could do with some efficiency gains from a die shrink or something.

I'm sure the A10X Fusion is going to be an absolute fucking beast, so there's that much to look forward to at any rate.

jts

...hate me...
I'm sure the A10X Fusion is going to be an absolute fucking beast, so there's that much to look forward to at any rate.
Certainly, but I can’t help but hope that somehow instead the iPad Pro skips on the A10X and goes straight to A11X, A11 being the 2017 silicon.

It wouldn’t be unprecedented. A4 and A5 came out in April 2010 and March 2011, with the iPad 1 and iPad 2. This stopped happening with the iPad 3, because Apple was planning to transition the iPad to the Fall, which they did with the iPad 4.

Now that the iPad release is transitioning back to the Spring, I feel this would be the right thing to do.

But I guess if it were to happen we would have a lot of rumours about it by now. And probably imply an A11 that is highly an A10-derivative.

Certainly, but I can’t help but hope that somehow instead the iPad Pro skips on the A10X and goes straight to A11X, A11 being the 2017 silicon.

It wouldn’t be unprecedented. A4 and A5 came out in April 2010 and March 2011, with the iPad 1 and iPad 2. This stopped happening with the iPad 3, because Apple was planning to transition the iPad to the Fall, which they did with the iPad 4.

Now that the iPad release is transitioning back to the Spring, I feel this would be the right thing to do.

But I guess if it were to happen we would have a lot of rumours about it by now. And probably imply an A11 that is highly an A10-derivative.

If it goes straight to A11X it'll be because it doesn't get an update until September. Not sure which option is preferable.

Also, we can fairly reasonably expect the A11 to be fairly similar to the A10 but receive a die shrink (which will of course produce some substantial benefits).

Laekon

Best Buy is running a pre black friday sale on the iPad pro 9.7 today. ipadprodeal gets you $125 off.

They will be doing the same on the air 2 and pro for black friday so base models will be at $275 and $475. Still can't decide which one I should get.

sarcastor

Best Buy is running a pre black friday sale on the iPad pro 9.7 today. ipadprodeal gets you $125 off.

They will be doing the same on the air 2 and pro for black friday so base models will be at $275 and $475. Still can't decide which one I should get.

If you draw at all get the pro. :)

Laekon

If you draw at all get the pro. :)
I don't draw but I did end up picking up a Pro. I saw a video showing how to take notes on power point slides that is perfect for me. You convert power points slides into hand outs and then save as a PDF. Then you can write notes on the PDF with Notability and the pencil. I already convert slides to handouts for class but print them out. I go through a lot of ink and a ton of paper doing this. I got to try this in OneNote though as I use OneDrive and Notability isn't compatible even though they said they were working on it 2 years ago.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Good news everyone, I bought an iPad Pro, which guarantees a revision this month, or to be more specific, precisely after the return policy expires. You're welcome.

Anyhoo, what';s the best app for drawing and painting, and what else should I be getting to demo the POWER and the SCREEN! I got the disgustingly expensive keyboard and the stupid pencil too.

jts

...hate me...
Good news everyone, I bought an iPad Pro, which guarantees a revision this month, or to be more specific, precisely after the return policy expires. You're welcome.

Anyhoo, what';s the best app for drawing and painting, and what else should I be getting to demo the POWER and the SCREEN! I got the disgustingly expensive keyboard and the stupid pencil too.
12.9" master race or 9.7" peasant?

I think Pro 2 will only hit by spring time (presumably March).

Mad jelly regardless but won't buy in so late in the game for gen 1.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

May I ask your reasons for the purchase and uses you foresee yourself utilizing it with, ol' chap?

Stinkles

May I ask your reasons for the purchase and uses you foresee yourself utilizing it with, ol' chap?

12.9 - a replacement for my Air 2 - needed something I could use for work AND family trips - so my wife and daughter can keep their stuff on it, but I can use it for quasi-proper work - art, video editing, and writing. Also a nice big screen and proper speakers for movies on the road/vacation.

For real work I use a Surface Book, this is for excursions and honestly just tinkering and effing around with.

So what's the essential art app? I use that thing that used to be called Manga Studio on Surface. I was hoping for a combo of that and fresh Paint.

Stinkles

These statements always make me sad. I get real work done on my iPad.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I work on code, files and files systems that aren't supported either properly or at all by iOS and use file sizes that would kill it and iCloud/Dropbox etc. There are certainly ASPECTS of work I can do on it just fine. But not my whole job. Plenty of people, like you, WOULD be able to do plenty of work on it. I would be limited by the specifics of my job. YMMV!

Anyway what's the paint app - and is there anything that shows off the screen to spectacular effect?

Shearie

Well if it makes you feel any better, I work on code, files and files systems that aren't supported either properly or at all by iOS and use file sizes that would kill it and iCloud/Dropbox etc. There are certainly ASPECTS of work I can do on it just fine. But not my whole job. Plenty of people, like you, WOULD be able to do plenty of work on it. I would be limited by the specifics of my job. YMMV!

Anyway what's the paint app - and is there anything that shows off the screen to spectacular effect?

Funnily enough, I was going to mention coding not working very well for iPads especially if you're a CS major like me where you can't compile code on an iPad.

Sorry I can't help you with painting apps. I suck all kinds at any kind of art.

jts

...hate me...
I think that Procreate is often mentioned as a particularly awesome art app for the iPad Pro with Pencil support.

Stinkles

Procreate for sure. They even have a manual for free in iBooks you can download and get acquainted with

It's actually amazing. One of the best IOS apps in terms of presentation I've ever seen.

Also two positives I didn't expect from the pro - keyboard cover works great on lap and the key action is fantastic. Actually hurt by apples embarrassing archaic autocorrect and select cut paste system.

No home key though? Or simple function keys like pg up.

Pachimari

Procreate for sure. They even have a manual for free in iBooks you can download and get acquainted with
I had no idea they had a manual. Thanks for mentioning this!

It's actually amazing. One of the best IOS apps in terms of presentation I've ever seen.

Also two positives I didn't expect from the pro - keyboard cover works great on lap and the key action is fantastic. Actually hurt by apples embarrassing archaic autocorrect and select cut paste system.

The keyboard works like shit with the auto correct. So annoying. And to me it doesn't work on the lap at all.

Shearie

You can turn off autocorrect and change other external keyboard options in the settings app when the keyboard is connected.

Stinkles

You can turn off autocorrect and change other external keyboard options in the settings app when the keyboard is connected.

I know but it still sucks and on phone you don't have much choice.

Edit: selecting the text replacement options in settings causes a hard crash... every time. turns gray and freezes.

Pachimari

But will it turn off auto correct automatically when connecting the keyboard? Because it's very cumbersome to have to turn it off and on manually every time. Something that has made me stop using the keyboard all together.

Shearie

But will it turn off auto correct automatically when connecting the keyboard?

Yeah because it's a seperate option for the external keyboard.

When any external keyboard is connected, go to "Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Hardware Keyboard" to change it.

You could check out an app I worked on called Putty 3D. It will give your Pro's GPU a good workout.

Futureman

Not sure where to post this but I guess this may be the most relevant.

When I get home from work, my iPad (Air 1) is always disconnected from my WiFi and there's nothing I can do to reconnect it besides restarting it.

Any ideas why this happens or how to fix it?

Top Bottom