• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Pachimari

Yeah because it's a seperate option for the external keyboard.

When any external keyboard is connected, go to "Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Hardware Keyboard" to change it.
I don't see this option?

I have my Apple keyboard connected to my iPad Pro, and i go to General > Keyboards and there's no option for hardware keyboard? I'm on the latest version of iOS too.

Shearie

I don't see this option?

I have my Apple keyboard connected to my iPad Pro, and i go to General > Keyboards and there's no option for hardware keyboard? I'm on the latest version of iOS too.

Strange. I don't have an iPad Pro and I'm just using a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard with my Air 2 but I would think the setting would be there with the Pros also.

Pachimari

Is the iPad Pro 9.7 supposed to get an update next March? And if so, what can we expect from it?

I will most surely sell my 128gb one and buy the new 9.7 Pro 256gb wifi+4g.

jts

...hate me...
Is the iPad Pro 9.7 supposed to get an update next March? And if so, what can we expect from it?

I will most surely sell my 128gb one and buy the new 9.7 Pro 256gb wifi+4g.

Supposed to grow a bit in display size, become 10.something inch.

A10X at minimum.
Non-physical home button.
RAM bump would be nice.
3D Touch would be great.
Waterproofing feels kinda pointless but who knows.

Pachimari

It would be seriously horrible if it isn't the same dimensions, as I would want to use my current cover and keyboard. Maybe I will just upgrade my 128 to the current 256gb option then.

Vyer

I had a 12.9 Pro once but recently saw the 9.7 and 12.9 side by side in a store display and.......man

Is the screen difference that noticeable or was there just something wrong with the demo machine?

Bumhead

Banned
Been in a real bind for weeks now over whether to get an iPad Pro or a Surface Pro 4. Settled on a Pro.

Of course that now comes with its own dilemma. 12.9 or 9.7? I'd written off the 12.9 completely until I had a play around with both sizes yesterday. Came away from it thinking the 9.7 felt a bit feeble and that I needed the 12.9, but I want to go back and have a play with both devices - not side by side - before I pull the trigger.

Does anyone here still use 32gb and get by just fine? Thinking about it, the only thing I actually store on my devices these days is the OS itself and the apps. Virtually everything else such as photos and videos I have stored across various cloud services, and for media I stream. Is 32gb fine for me?

Shearie

Been in a real bind for weeks now over whether to get an iPad Pro or a Surface Pro 4. Settled on a Pro.

Of course that now comes with its own dilemma. 12.9 or 9.7? I'd written off the 12.9 completely until I had a play around with both sizes yesterday. Came away from it thinking the 9.7 felt a bit feeble and that I needed the 12.9, but I want to go back and have a play with both devices - not side by side - before I pull the trigger.

Does anyone here still use 32gb and get by just fine? Thinking about it, the only thing I actually store on my devices these days is the OS itself and the apps. Virtually everything else such as photos and videos I have stored across various cloud services, and for media I stream. Is 32gb fine for me?

I have a 16gb iPad Air 2 and get by fine with it since I stream everything, have a Dropbox account, and don't use a bunch of apps, but the storage is too small for me since I have to think about the apps I want to keep and can't just download and forget. I'll probably go 128gb's for my next iPad since I don't want to ever think about running out of storage anymore.

As far as screen size though, do you plan to hold the iPad up for long periods of time or use it more like a laptop? I hold my iPad up almost all of the time I use it since it's more comfortable for my neck and eyes and I walk around with it a lot, but that wouldn't be comfortably possible for long periods of time with the 12.9" version.

jts

...hate me...
I had a 12.9 Pro once but recently saw the 9.7 and 12.9 side by side in a store display and.......man

Is the screen difference that noticeable or was there just something wrong with the demo machine?
What do you mean? Which one looked better?

Don't forget that only the 9.7" has that True Tone display feature, which adapts the color temperature to the surrounding light. Might have thrown you off, in one way or the other.

Vyer

What do you mean? Which one looked better?

Don't forget that only the 9.7" has that True Tone display feature, which adapts the color temperature to the surrounding light. Might have thrown you off, in one way or the other.

Yeah I knew about the differences but the 9.7" screen colors were considerably better and combined with a more ch brighter display....I was pretty surprised it was that noticeable

jts

...hate me...
Yeah I knew about the differences but the 9.7" screen colors were considerably better and combined with a more ch brighter display....I was pretty surprised it was that noticeable
Yeah, the 12.9" update this year to be at least on pair with the current 9.7" should be sensational. Not much longer now.

tribal24

Banned
I just Ordered the iPad Pro 12.9 inch i know the refresh is coming this year but how big of a upgrade are we looking at for the pro 12.9?

I just Ordered the iPad Pro 12.9 inch i know the refresh is coming this year but how big of a upgrade are we looking at for the pro 12.9?

Minimum, matching the specs of the 9.7. That means the true tone display and DCI-P3 support. Other than that the sky is the limit!

Bumhead

Banned
Took delivery on my IPad Pro 9.7 and Pencil yesterday.

Absolutely loving it. Currently sat browsing with GAF and Sky News live in split screen over breakfast, and spent several hours yesterday glued to Football Manager Touch. Also did a bit of experimenting with the Adobe PDF reader and various other productivity apps, which all looks like it's going to serve all the purposes I feared it wouldn't just fine.

The Pencil has been a game changer for me too. I'm no artist - though I like to doodle, so I'm going to give Procreate a whirl later - but I've been using the Pencil for general navigation and especially when playing Football Manager. It's probably overkill, a bit silly and not "worth" the £99 to buy it, but it's been a really pleasant experience.

I think I'm going to be good with the 32gb model, too. The first thing I did was front load the device with every app I think I'll use for both work and entertainment, and having done that I still have 19gb left. Dat cloud doing work..

tribal24

Banned
Got my iPad pro in and the pencil, like its seriously is awesome feels just right. Procreate is amazing for drawing. so i got procreate, notability, and umake. What other apps are good?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
iTunes etc all updated, but my PC refuses to detect my iPad :(

Tried restarting it, using a different USB port etc but no luck :( It detects it in the windows menu where my drives are to show my pictures, but doesn't detect it in iTunes or iFunbox

Shearie

I seriously need an iPad Pro. Been annotating Powerpoints and PDFs with a third party stylus on my Air 2 a lot since school started and I really need the great palm rejection of the Apple Pencil, especially since I have horrible handwriting as it is. Thing is, I would never feel good about buying one now since most likely new ones, which might also have a new design, around coming around in a few months, but by then over half the semester will be over already.

Blackhead

Redarse
I seriously need an iPad Pro. Been annotating Powerpoints and PDFs with a third party stylus on my Air 2 a lot since school started and I really need the great palm rejection of the Apple Pencil, especially since I have horrible handwriting as it is. Thing is, I would never feel good about buying one now since most likely new ones, which might also have a new design, around coming around in a few months, but by then over half the semester will be over already.

buy a used/refurbished one. Sell it when the new ones come out

iTunes etc all updated, but my PC refuses to detect my iPad :(

Tried restarting it, using a different USB port etc but no luck :( It detects it in the windows menu where my drives are to show my pictures, but doesn't detect it in iTunes or iFunbox

I've had that issue before, I had to do something with the drivers. "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" within Device Manager/Properties? Something like that. I did it and it's worked since.

http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-itunes-on-windows-10-not-detecting-recognizing-iphone-heres-how/

Shearie

Anyone here with a Pro and Apple Pencil that annotates PowerPoint slides with the Pencil? Does the palm rejection work good in the PowerPoint app?

I want to get a 9.7 Pro ASAP if this works well.

Laekon

Anyone here with a Pro and Apple Pencil that annotates PowerPoint slides with the Pencil? Does the palm rejection work good in the PowerPoint app?

I want to get a 9.7 Pro ASAP if this works well.

I did this a few times towards the end of last semester. I turn the power points into pdf's in the note format(3 slides with note space on the side) and import them into one note. I create a note for each class and then make each power point a page with the chapter title and date as the name. I didn't like writing on the screen though. There is no resistance so the pen just slides all over the screen making it hard to write well. I still prefer printing the power points and taking notes on them.

Shearie

I did this a few times towards the end of last semester. I turn the power points into pdf's in the note format(3 slides with note space on the side) and import them into one note. I create a note for each class and then make each power point a page with the chapter title and date as the name. I didn't like writing on the screen though. There is no resistance so the pen just slides all over the screen making it hard to write well. I still prefer printing the power points and taking notes on them.

I like editing in the PowerPoint app for the most part since I can easily edit text (professor has premade slides that she adds A LOT to every class) or draw something on the PowerPoint when I need to. Converting a pptx file into pdf usually turns out bad for me (although you're doing something more complex than a straight conversion) as the formatting can get seriously screwed up and it's nice editing the text in PowerPoint since it automatically chooses the same text formatting wherever you put your cursor.

Anyway, I was specifically wondering about the palm rejection when writing/drawing with the Pencil in the PowerPoint app.

32GB 9.7 on sale at Target this week for $150 off. Is this the best iPad you can buy right now, and is the cost worth the difference over an iPad Air 2?

32GB 9.7 on sale at Target this week for $150 off. Is this the best iPad you can buy right now, and is the cost worth the difference over an iPad Air 2?

Easily the best iPad ever made, certainly the best one out right now

That being said, there might be an update in March, given that's exactly a year from when the 9.7" was released and a year and a half since the 12.9" was released. So if you don't need it right away could help to wait a bit

We can't find a fix for the wifi on my gf's Surface Pro 3, and she's about to set it on fire. I tried several solutions posted online but to no avail. So, we're about to go buy something to replace it. I think she primarily wants to use it for things like Gimp/Photoshop, drawing, and streaming movies. It'd need an attachable keyboard too.

I don't know much about these things as I'm still primarily a desktop guy, so considering that would this be a good replacement for the Surface Pro? She also hates Windows so it's why I was looking into a Mac product.

We can't find a fix for the wifi on my gf's Surface Pro 3, and she's about to set it on fire. I tried several solutions posted online but to no avail. So, we're about to go buy something to replace it. I think she primarily wants to use it for things like Gimp/Photoshop, drawing, and streaming movies. It'd need an attachable keyboard too.

I don't know much about these things as I'm still primarily a desktop guy, so considering that would this be a good replacement for the Surface Pro? She also hates Windows so it's why I was looking into a Mac product.

Well this wouldn't be a Mac product, it's 100% an iPad. So no x86 programs, it's all from the App Store

Adobe has some apps on it, but they're definitely not comparable to the real thing. There are some great third party replacements like Procreate and Pixelmator and MediBang, however. I guess it depends on if there's a lot of desktop-class OS stuff she depends on regularly

Shearie

As a quick update from my earlier post, I got the 9.7" iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil over a week ago and I love all of it. It's really helped me with my school work, the pencil is great to write and draw with, and the Smart Keyboard is quite a bit better than the Logitech Keys-to-go that I was using with my Air 2 (though it's still a great portable Bluetooth keyboard).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Alright, thanks. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I was VERY impressed with the huge ass display after messing with it. I'd go buy one right now, but with new ones on the horizon, I suspect they'll update it enough to make it worth my purchase?

The Target deal was supposed to end yesterday, but I just picked one up today.

30 days to see if Apple has an early or late 2017 refresh cycle.

Man, using a physical button again is really offputting after using the virtual one. I do hope that's one of the revisions for this year. 3D Touch would be nice too, but on a bigger screen it might be difficult to implement.

Man, using a physical button again is really offputting after using the virtual one. I do hope that's one of the revisions for this year. 3D Touch would be nice too, but on a bigger screen it might be difficult to implement.

I think that's the reason they haven't on the iPad line, even though I agree with you. It's hard to get the vibration for the 3D Touch and home button right in a much bigger device

ZOONAMI

So I just got a 9.7 pro and Smart Keyboard. Is the weight of the iPad supposed to be pushing up the keyboard so it doesn't lie flat on a flat surface?

It's pretty annoying for typing. Does it break in over time or something so it's flat?

Not impressed with spending over $100 on the keyboard. Is it defective?

Shearie

So I just got a 9.7 pro and Smart Keyboard. Is the weight of the iPad supposed to be pushing up the keyboard so it doesn't lie flat on a flat surface?

It's pretty annoying for typing. Does it break in over time or something so it's flat?

Not impressed with spending over $100 on the keyboard. Is it defective?

Mine lies down flat but I've heard from other people on Twitter where they had one that didn't and they simply exchanged it for one that did at the Apple Store. I don't know if it breaks in over time or not.

Picked up a pencil open box from Best Buy for $81 before the Visa $25 promo. They gave me a new one anyway.

So far...meh. I need to learn Procreate though. For $56 though I think I'll keep it.

ZOONAMI

Mine lies down flat but I've heard from other people on Twitter where they had one that didn't and they simply exchanged it for one that did at the Apple Store. I don't know if it breaks in over time or not.

So I just kind of tried to bend it back a bit and that fixed the issue.

Honestly this thing is pretty dope. I see myself hardly using my laptop outside of gaming.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm personally hoping for that rumored bezel-free 10.5". I love my 12.9" but I would appreciate something smaller but not THAT small

I don't have a laptop so this would be my sketchbook, word/excel, and comic device. I need as big as I can get. If the Surface Pro wasn't such a buggy fucking mess, is buy a new one of those. But honestly, I learned my lesson after my first one...

New iPads rumored for March Event:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/20/ipad-pro-march-event-128gb-iphone-se/

Personal predictions:

New 9.7 is a budget model, maybe an Air 3. Not a Pro. The Pro sizes are going to be 7.9, 10.5, and 12.9. I just can't imagine having both a 9.7 and a 10.5 Pro, seems too similar. New Apple Pencil and smart accessories to go with them, of course

I personally will be picking up a 7.9 and 10.5 Pro to replace a Mini 2 and 2015 12.9

Deku Tree

New iPads rumored for March Event:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/20/ipad-pro-march-event-128gb-iphone-se/

Personal predictions:

New 9.7 is a budget model, maybe an Air 3. Not a Pro. The Pro sizes are going to be 7.9, 10.5, and 12.9. I just can't imagine having both a 9.7 and a 10.5 Pro, seems too similar. New Apple Pencil and smart accessories to go with them, of course

I personally will be picking up a 7.9 and 10.5 Pro to replace a Mini 2 and 2015 12.9

My Waiting justified... How about a USBC port on the 12.9 Apple?

Top Bottom