• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Blackhead

Redarse
Random restriction for the (old?) 12.9" iPad Pro:
QuickType keyboard.
Typing as quick as a flick.
Letters, numbers, symbols and punctuation marks are now all on the same keyboard — no more switching back and forth. Just flick down on a key to quickly select what you need.2

2. Keyboard flick is available on all compatible iPad models except iPad Pro (12.9-inch).

huh?

Anyway my main requirements for the iPad update was 3D touch and a new Pencil with eraser. We got neither so my wallet is safe. The new multitasking, files etc are decent improvements from the previous embarrassing solutions that will satisfy those who already like their iPads I guess. But, to be frank the iPad UI for productivity still doesn't compare to macOS and the apps still aren't there (where's iOS xcode goddamit?).

The 10.5" iPad is a disappointment. The leaks made if seem like it would a 9.7" with no bezels and same resolution as the 12.9". That would be drool worthy. This is bigger than the 9.7", still with bezels+ physical home button, and lower resolution than the 12.9". Meh.

If I'm buying an iPad today I'd still only be using it at home for reading comics/manga and magazine/news apps. I'd want the new 12.9" no question but just can't justify it at this price. i'll try to sang an older one though if i can find at a decent price.

O.DOGG

Reposting from the WWDC thread:

I got my iPad Pro 12.9 two months ago and I'm seriously contemplating selling it at a minor loss and getting the latest version. I wonder how much better that new screen is color-wise, as well as when used with the pencil. I don't see any detailed impressions yet.

Any advice from Pro GAF?

Deku Tree

The 12.9 is too big for what I want to do most of the time. And I don't like the feel of the pencil. Id rather use pen and paper. Might go with a 10.5, or just stick with my original four year old iPad Air until next year. Not sure.

I can't wait to see the 10.5" Pro, I wouldn't mind a bigger screen but the 12.3" is just unnecessary, not worth the increase in weight to me. A majority the time I'm using my iPad I'm reading, and the bigger Pro seems like it would get annoying to hold with one hand or in bed. If it could function just a bit more as a laptop replacement I'd deal with it to be able to use one device for tablet and laptop functions, but it's not there yet.

I think I'm going to pass on an upgrade though. Hopefully next year's Pro update will feel like a rethinking of how to make it more useful and less like a simple refresh with better specs. iOS 11 looks nice and they're getting close to what I'd like to see on the software side, but the keyboard cover sucks to use on your lap, especially on a plane or train.

Sucks how long it's taking for someone to knock a tablet/ laptop hybrid out of the ballpark. Surface Book is a great laptop but a crappy tablet, iPad Pro is a great tablet but a crappy laptop. Maybe the software is just impossible to figure out, but if Apple released a 12.3" iPad Pro that run both iOS normally and Mac OS when plugged into a keyboard dock they could name their price, and I'd think there'd be enough people who'd agree that it'd be worth doing.

Vyer

I see the 10.5 is a little heavier and bigger than the 9.7. That at least tempers my enthusiasm a little bit.

I am deciding between iPad 2017 128GB for $429

Or iPad Pro 10.5 256GB for $749

What I get for $320 more?

Double the space, wayyyyyy better display (laminated, apparently a new anti reflective coating, 120hz, true tone color correction, brighter, HDR support), equivalent cameras to the iPhone 7, ability to use Smart Connector accessories and Apple Pencil. Far far more powerful CPU and GPU especially. Probably more stuff I forgot.

Edit: the 10.5" Logitech keyboard case arrived early, I gave some impressions in the WWDC thread using it on my 9.7". Check it out!

melos

I took the plunge for the iPad Pro 10.5 256GB after selling my 64GB iPad Air 2. Really excited to finally have pencil support and stereo speakers. Screen upgrades are just the icing on the cake. Even more excited for the benefits of iOS 11 when it arrives though.

I took the plunge for the iPad Pro 10.5 256GB after selling my 64GB iPad Air 2. Really excited to finally have pencil support and stereo speakers. Screen upgrades are just the icing on the cake. Even more excited for the benefits of iOS 11 when it arrives though.

What'd you get for your Air? I really shouldn't blow the money but I own an LTE/ middle hard drive space (can't remember how many GBs, 256 I think?) 9.7 Pro, if I could upgrade to the 10.5 for just a hundred bucks or so I might as well.

melos

What'd you get for your Air? I really shouldn't blow the money but I own an LTE/ middle hard drive space (can't remember how many GBs, 256 I think?) 9.7 Pro, if I could upgrade to the 10.5 for just a hundred bucks or so I might as well.

I only got/asked $300 for it bundled with the Smart Cover. I had purchased it discounted for about $400 just before the 9.7 pro was announced.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Seriously considering foregoing upgrading my long in the tooth MBP with an iPad Pro. Much thought will go into this between now and when they're in stores to see hands on, in general and to compare the 2 sizes.

Blackhead

Redarse
Despite the increased resolution on the 10.5", it still doesn't have the option for two FULL iPad apps side-by-side in multitasking? 12.9" seems like the no-brainer for productivity and entertainment if you can stomach the price. Sure it's heavier in bed but you'll want a tablet stand anyway. 10.5" only better if spend lots of time using your iPad on the train or plane

PFD

I got my 256GB silver 10.5 ordered. Tuesday can't come soon enough!

Looking forward to replacing my 4-year old Air 1

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Despite the increased resolution on the 10.5", it still doesn't have the option for two FULL iPad apps side-by-side in multitasking? 12.9" seems like the no-brainer for productivity and entertainment if you can stomach the price. Sure it's heavier in bed but you'll want a tablet stand anyway. 10.5" only better if spend lots of time using your iPad on the train or plane

Leaning this way. Would help when watching videos in PiP too

Also random fact - iPad Pro 12.9 in Japan is the same price as the 10.5 in the UK.

Got

Banned
Lol, I bought the previous 12.9 inch model two weeks ago. Knew the conference was coming. Couldn't return that thing fast enough. Ha. Looking forward to the newer version Tuesday.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My 12.9 developed a blob of colored pixels and started doing the keyboard cover disconnect tango. Apple store just replaced it and either pretended pr had never heard of the keyboard bug despite Apple forums being swamped with reports.

Got

Banned
My 12.9 developed a blob of colored pixels and started doing the keyboard cover disconnect tango. Apple store just replaced it and either pretended pr had never heard of the keyboard bug despite Apple forums being swamped with reports.

whats the keyboard bug?

iamcenok

I've been eyeing an Ipad pro for a little while now planning on the 9" model.

But the new 10" model is quite nice.
Would I be pretty much screwing myself over if I stuck with the 9"?

I plan on doing illustration work/graphics when I dont feel like carrying my macbook + drawing tablet with me.

I plan on doing illustration work/graphics when I dont feel like carrying my macbook + drawing tablet with me.

10.5" could have 4GB RAM. 9.7" Pro has 2GB RAM.

Do you already have an 9.7" Pro?

PFD

The 9.7 iPad Pro will be replaced by the 10.5 model. The only 9.7 left will be the cheap 2017 iPad (non-pro)

TO BE FAIR

Not to say that you didn’t have the keyboard issue because I know you did, but technicians a) don’t read the support forums, and b) the support forums are swamped with every problem imaginable, some real and some perceived. It’s not the best barometer for an actual issue. What is the best barometer is that there’s an actual quality program out for keyboard issues. But still I’m glad they replaced it

Anyone know which video editing app this is in the ad?

https://youtu.be/jPnooxO6V6k

Isn’t that just iMovie?

Also I just got shipping confirmation of my 10.5!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
those of you with 12.9 models - do you use it 'professionally' for typing, work etc, or still mainly for consumption?

Any news whether the 9.7" smart cover works on the 10.5? I have my 9.7" ipad up for sale, but I have a product (red) smart cover which I really like with space grey, and currently Apple don't have a product(red) cover for the 10.5. So I was wondering if I could manage for a while to see if they update the colours

those of you with 12.9 models - do you use it 'professionally' for typing, work etc, or still mainly for consumption?

Any news whether the 9.7" smart cover works on the 10.5? I have my 9.7" ipad up for sale, but I have a product (red) smart cover which I really like with space grey, and currently Apple don't have a product(red) cover for the 10.5. So I was wondering if I could manage for a while to see if they update the colours

The edges of your screen will be showing and depending on how off it is it might not activate the magnets. But I can test for you when my 10.5" arrives on Tuesday

Number45

Thinking of picking up a Smart Cover (although I'm not a huge fan of the available colours right now) - are there any decent sleeves around that provide decent protection while in a bag and look OK? I have no intention of paying £130 for the Apple leather one.

Stinkles

whats the keyboard bug?

Rapid disconnects that happen while your case is closed and depletes the battery while it's "off" - exacerbated on planes where you can't hear the connect/disconnect beeps. Nobody seems to know if it is the keyboard, the iPad or the smart connector. But I refuse to give up on the keyboard as it has the nicest typing feel on the market.

Got

Banned
Rapid disconnects that happen while your case is closed and depletes the battery while it's "off" - exacerbated on planes where you can't hear the connect/disconnect beeps. Nobody seems to know if it is the keyboard, the iPad or the smart connector. But I refuse to give up on the keyboard as it has the nicest typing feel on the market.

that sounds bad. I went with the new logitech slim case but that OEM keyboard looked good. I wonder if the same issue will persist with a 3rd party keyboard that uses the smart connect?

Deku Tree

Just ordered one. $1,026.95

10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi 256GB - Space Gray
Logitech Slim Combo with detachable keyboard for 10.5-inch iPad Pro - Black
Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
3-Year AppleCare+ for iPad

Been using an original iPad Air for four years.

Just ordered one. $1,026.95

10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi 256GB - Space Gray
Logitech Slim Combo with detachable keyboard for 10.5-inch iPad Pro - Black
Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
3-Year AppleCare+ for iPad

Been using an original iPad Air for four years.

I’m very excited for you

Stinkles

that sounds bad. I went with the new logitech slim case but that OEM keyboard looked good. I wonder if the same issue will persist with a 3rd party keyboard that uses the smart connect?

No reason it should, since the issue doesn't happen to everyone and I haven't seen the same complaint about third party KBs. But if it does, then it's safe to say it's the smart connectors or the iPad Pro (or a software issue?). Reason I don't think an app was involved is that this was popping out of sleep on its own. But who knows?

Anecdote: Have been using new Pro and old keyboard together for a couple of days with no issues, but it didn't happen universally and I've only been traveling today. BTW I made sure all the contacts were clean, so it wasn't that (my first suspicion).

Top Bottom