• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Fuck, I had no idea that if you log into your AT&T account with an Apple sim AT&T permanently locks the sim to their network. No other carrier does this. That’s some bullshit

Edit: actually, this doesn’t seem the case with my iPad Pro 10.5, since it doesn’t have a SIM card, not even an Apple SIM. There’s nothing in the tray, must be software SIM. And since I don’t believe for a second Apple would allow AT&T to lock down a software SIM (and it’s letting me select a different carrier) I’m good.

That’s still bullshit for iPads with Apple SIMs, though

Fuck, I had no idea that if you log into your AT&T account with an Apple sim AT&T permanently locks the sim to their network. No other carrier does this. That’s some bullshit

Edit: actually, this doesn’t seem the case with my iPad Pro 10.5, since it doesn’t have a SIM card, not even an Apple SIM. There’s nothing in the tray, must be software SIM. And since I don’t believe for a second Apple would allow AT&T to lock down a software SIM (and it’s letting me select a different carrier) I’m good.

That’s still bullshit for iPads with Apple SIMs, though

There's a user replaceable SIM card slot and an embedded SIM card.

Vyer

Honestly, pretty disappointed/underwhelmed with the iPad. For all the praise it gets and iOS gets it's a pretty disappointing user experience. EVERYTHING lags when trying to recognize what's going on. Even during set up when clicking next it just sits there for a couple seconds where you're unsure if it even registered your button press. It seems to struggle really bad downloading more than one thing at a time, you have to press the home button but it seems incapable of understanding whether it's for Siri or unlocking. The tablet will be black and there's a 50/50 shot it just brings up Siri instead so you have to back out and try again...

This is a worse user experience than my old Nexus 5 and that's like 4+ years old at this point and on top of this it's their "pro" line that's supposed to be so good it replaces a laptop. Really really disappointing given the price and usability.

Did you get it used? That sounds like something is wrong with that one honestly.

ESBL

Heads up, Staples has the iPad Pro 10.5 for $50 off retail, I submitted that to my Citi credit card and they should be refunding me the difference. So I basically paid $699 + tax for an iPad Pro 10.5 256GB WiFi with the student perk of free Beats X that I sold for $100. Not too bad really.

So if you have a Citi credit card with Citi Price Rewind this is what you do:

Buy iPad Pro 10.5 from Apple with student discount to get free Beats X
Submit a Citi Price Rewind online (I had to do it through email because it wasn't listed on the website).
????

Slightly less poor.

Staples' price is good until 07/29

I want to trade in my old wifi 64GB iPad Air and get a Pro.

Where is the best place to trade in old iPads? Gamestop will give me $110 cash for it. Is that a good deal?

SuperPac

I highly doubt it's defective so not sure what else to say.

Either it is defective or you didn’t buy a new model Pro, from what you’re describing. What was on the front of the box you bought? Side view of the iPad? Screen view with ocean waves and sand, or screen view with ocean and lotsa rocks?

Either it is defective or you didn't buy a new model Pro, from what you're describing. What was on the front of the box you bought? Side view of the iPad? Screen view with ocean waves and sand, or screen view with ocean and lotsa rocks?

So you're proposing that best buy sells fake ipads? It's a side view of the device as the box. If you mean the 10" for new pro model or 2017 refresh for the 12" then yes, I didn't... I never claimed to, I literally asked on the last page what people thought of the 9.7" pro which is what I purchased.

Just got me a 10.5 and god do I love it but I'm so torn on the case.

It's SO light I really don't want to fuck with it or let anything get between me and my comics with a bulky case.

Any suggestions?

I think I'm going to buy a 10.5 today. It will be a pretty good upgrade to my Mini 2 with 16gb. First I need to get my hands on a demo model and see if I really want to pay the premium for the display over the cheap 9.7...

Just got me a 10.5 and god do I love it but I'm so torn on the case.

It's SO light I really don't want to fuck with it or let anything get between me and my comics with a bulky case.

Any suggestions?

I like my Khomo one that was posted the last page. I usually pop it out if I'm reading for long periods of time, just like my kindle.

Got mine today. 10.5". They were out of space grey so I settled with silver. This thing is beautiful and infinitely faster than my mini 2. I'm loving the split screen multitasking too. Didn't realize how much I was missing out on.

Anyway, it's expensive but sometimes you just gotta flex

Got mine today. 10.5". They were out of space grey so I settled with silver. This thing is beautiful and infinitely faster than my mini 2. I'm loving the split screen multitasking too. Didn't realize how much I was missing out on.

Anyway, it's expensive but sometimes you just gotta flex

CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW LIGHT IT IS

Seems my iPad may be defective after all. Screen went black this morning and can't get it to come back.

Is there anything to try to get it to turn on again?

Edit: Finally came back but not sure why it did that... Makes me want to return it for another one.

So if I'm able to exchange it, I just hook it to my computer, iTunes will automatically back it up and then when I get the new one I just say setup from a restore or whatever the option is and plug it into my computer and it should be exactly as I have it now without having to redownload stuff?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Seems my iPad may be defective after all. Screen went black this morning and can't get it to come back.

Is there anything to try to get it to turn on again?

Edit: Finally came back but not sure why it did that... Makes me want to return it for another one.

It's definitely defective. I would've returned it the other week when you had a problem.

^^^ or just back it up to iCloud? No need to go anywhere near iTunes if you don't want to.
I'm not sure how to get icloud working... I downloaded it to my PC but when it asks for verification from the iPad to enable it, it never goes to my computer and it says I need another "iCloud device" to approve it before I can use it on the iPad. I already downloaded iTunes and that's been less of a headache than iCloud sadly enough.

It's definitely defective. I would've returned it the other week when you had a problem.
Ok I guess? It was slow during set up and then I had no problems since then, that didn't seem to suggest it was going to start doing this all of a sudden. Either way I'll see if best buy will send me a new one after this is backed up.

Edit: It just did it again, there's no way the magnet in the case that allows sleep/wake could be messing with it right? I doubt it but just wanted to make sure I might not also have an issue with the case.

So apparently it's the screen that died. Everything at the store detects it but the screen is black. They ordered a refurb but said to try best buy first since it's so new.

So apparently it's the screen that died. Everything at the store detects it but the screen is black. They ordered a refurb but said to try best buy first since it's so new.

Yeah if you’re in the return period for the thing don’t bother going through Apple, just retail return it and get another

Also this early Apple’s Genius Bar doesn’t have refurbs

Yeah if you’re in the return period for the thing don’t bother going through Apple, just retail return it and get another

Also this early Apple’s Genius Bar doesn’t have refurbs

I don't know, he said it wasn't new and that's why it's better to go back to best buy if I want a new one. Didn't sounds like it would be a new boxed one arriving.

It's been like 16 days and someone told me they only do 14 day returns so I'll have to see what happens tomorrow when it's not pouring rain. The problem is too that it's sold out in the stores, it's only available online so not sure how that works for returns or if it's any different.

I don't know, he said it wasn't new and that's why it's better to go back to best buy if I want a new one. Didn't sounds like it would be a new boxed one arriving.

It's been like 16 days and someone told me they only do 14 day returns so I'll have to see what happens tomorrow when it's not pouring rain. The problem is too that it's sold out in the stores, it's only available online so not sure how that works for returns or if it's any different.

It won’t be “new in box,” it’ll still be a service part, but the new iPad Pros haven’t been out nearly long enough to be sent back to Apple, remanufactured, and sent out as replacements, at least not in any meaningful quantities. For a while after launch any GB replacement units are literally brand new, just in a different box with no accessories

That will obviously change as time goes on

It won’t be “new in box,” it’ll still be a service part, but the new iPad Pros haven’t been out nearly long enough to be sent back to Apple, remanufactured, and sent out as replacements, at least not in any meaningful quantities. For a while after launch any GB replacement units are literally brand new, just in a different box with no accessories

That will obviously change as time goes on
Mine is a 9.7" so it's definitely a refurb since they don't make it anymore.

ESBL

Probably should've return/exchanged it when you initially thought something was off.

Also I'm curious as to why you went with the 9.7" vs 10.5", I saw you got the 128gb for $500, but you could've gotten the 10.5 64gb for $600 a few weeks back. Would've futureproof'd you quite a bit going that route.

Are you guys using OneNote or Notability for note taking in school?

Mine is a 9.7" so it's definitely a refurb since they don't make it anymore.

Ah sorry, assumed it was a 10.5

Still won't be a bad device, they aren't like used and then sent back out

Probably should've return/exchanged it when you initially thought something was off.

Also I'm curious as to why you went with the 9.7" vs 10.5", I saw you got the 128gb for $500, but you could've gotten the 10.5 64gb for $600 a few weeks back. Would've futureproof'd you quite a bit going that route.

Notability and GoodNotes. Personal preference but I don't like OneNote's infinite canvas. Some people really do, and I can see why, but my brain doesn't handle that at all

There's not a lot of difference between the two and $600 was for the smaller size which wouldn't be enough so it would be at least $200 more for the 10.5" to have a nicer screen and slightly better processor.

There wasn't anything I thought was off though... It was sluggish getting setup and then never had another issue and now the screen itself died which has nothing to do with how fast people here thought it should set up. Not sure why everyone is now acting like it had horrible issues and was clearly defective now that the screen died.

ESBL

There's not a lot of difference between the two and $600 was for the smaller size which wouldn't be enough so it would be at least $200 more for the 10.5" to have a nicer screen and slightly better processor.

There wasn't anything I thought was off though... It was sluggish getting setup and then never had another issue and now the screen itself died which has nothing to do with how fast people here thought it should set up. Not sure why everyone is now acting like it had horrible issues and was clearly defective now that the screen died.

I wouldn't say slightly better processor, its significantly better than the A9x, but you made your decision.

But from what you described during setup as coming to a crawl when you first got the iPad was suspicious enough for me to exchange/return.

I wouldn't say slightly better processor, its significantly better than the A9x, but you made your decision.

But from what you described during setup as coming to a crawl when you first got the iPad was suspicious enough for me to exchange/return.
It's a bigger number but going off the past I can't see it lasting years longer than mine, at that point I can use to the $200 to but a significantly better one.

$200 is almost half of what I paid for the device in the first place, that's a big number.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bought a 10.5 Pro today with keyboard

Fuck, this is literally the perfect iPad. 😍 Waiting on a hopeful price drop on oled strip MacBook Pro, but in the meantime I'm super happy with this thing.

Fuck, this is literally the perfect iPad. 😍 Waiting on a hopeful price drop on oled strip MacBook Pro, but in the meantime I'm super happy with this thing.

You check the refurb store, see if there’s any touchbar models in your price range?

Dead

well not really...yet
You check the refurb store, see if there’s any touchbar models in your price range?
Not yet. ~1400-1500 would be the sweet spot for sure, but would definitely rather buy new though. Not planning on buying til October regardless.

Side note, this Pro Keyboard is pretty fantastic. Just typing while sitting on my bed and it feels great. Instantly more enjoyable typing experience than what I remember from my old Surface Pro 3.

ESBL

Get the pencil and complete the package.

Awesome! Trust me, that’s the better option
Yup, hopefully the new one doesn't have issues but I can't see it happening twice. Apparently I'm best buy elite or something so I actually had 30 days to return instead of the normal 15. I guess buying iPads and stuff will do that lol.

Still can't justify paying up for the 10.5" after people suggested it again yesterday. Seems really nice but I think all I would miss is the ram but that's a hefty upgrade for it.

Yup, hopefully the new one doesn't have issues but I can't see it happening twice. Apparently I'm best buy elite or something so I actually had 30 days to return instead of the normal 15. I guess buying iPads and stuff will do that lol.

Still can't justify paying up for the 10.5" after people suggested it again yesterday. Seems really nice but I think all I would miss is the ram but that's a hefty upgrade for it.

RAM, faster CPU/GPU, far better cameras (the last two being important for AR stuff coming down the road), 120Hz screen with variable refresh rate, HDR support, 4GB of RAM vs 2GB

RAM, faster CPU/GPU, far better cameras (the last two being important for AR stuff coming down the road), 120Hz screen with variable refresh rate, HDR support, 4GB of RAM vs 2GB
I'll never use the camera on the iPad most likely, screen and such is negligible for me. CPU is better but in the past I haven't seen it last years longer for a refresh one year later so I'm skeptical on that, especially with the charge being ~40% over what I'm already paying for my current iPad. A lot of sites seemed to also lean towards not worth upgrading although tempting for some when I read reviews a couple weeks ago.

Also, I think front camera was only big increase, rear camera was a small bump.

Top Bottom