• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Vyer

I'm not sure how to get icloud working... I downloaded it to my PC but when it asks for verification from the iPad to enable it, it never goes to my computer and it says I need another "iCloud device" to approve it before I can use it on the iPad. I already downloaded iTunes and that's been less of a headache than iCloud sadly enough.

Ok I guess? It was slow during set up and then I had no problems since then, that didn't seem to suggest it was going to start doing this all of a sudden. Either way I'll see if best buy will send me a new one after this is backed up.

Edit: It just did it again, there's no way the magnet in the case that allows sleep/wake could be messing with it right? I doubt it but just wanted to make sure I might not also have an issue with the case.

For iCloud, just go into Settings and tap on your profile at the top. From there you can see how much storage you have, turn on backup and control what gets saved to it. Additional 50gb iCloud storage is .99 a month if you think you'd need more than the default.

No need to deal with iTunes for that unless you want to. The windows software is just to sync stuff I believe and maybe manage calendars and such. It's not necessary for actual setup, you can do it on the device as long as you have an appleID

JABEE

I got in on the $349 iPad Pro 9.7” BB deal.

Just arrived today. Does anyone in here use anything to store/keep their Pencil connected to their iPad. I saw some magnet grips for the Pencil. Does it work?

I got in on the $349 iPad Pro 9.7” BB deal.

Just arrived today. Does anyone in here use anything to store/keep their Pencil connected to their iPad. I saw some magnet grips for the Pencil. Does it work?
Not sure about iPad but if it's like the surface I'd stay away from magnetic stuff. It's nice but if it's in a bag or get bumped, you have it fall out without realizing constantly.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is there anything new that specifically shows off the iPad pro? I have a first generation 12 inch. Just looking for something that shows it off.

jts

...hate me...
Finally got myself one of these.12.9" Wifi 1st gen, space grey, Smart Cover. No Apple Pencil yet.

Typing from it now.

Man this is brutal. Haven't had an iPad since I sold my mini 3 years ago.

The juggle between this and my MBP feels stupid, but man I can't wait to kick back with this and watch some Netflix, read some comics, the works. Also can't wait to get an Apple Pencil and do some drawing and jotting down.

IDK. I hope to not get bored out of it (iPad) again.

jts

...hate me...
A while later and I'm back on my MacBook Pro for browsing :(

Can't get over the infinite display adjustment angles, always on keyboard and all that huge comfort and familiarity.

I'm biased; I love the Mac. For me it's still Apple's best thing ever.

Too bad about the current functionality fragmentation going on at Apple that produces this kind of semi-redundant but complementary and rival devices even at equivalent display size.

There's money for Apple in that fragmentation, to be sure, but there's also a technological barrier. I can't help but feel that eventually we'll get over it, and the convergence will be great
like the Nintendo Switch.

Sorry for these philosophical ramblings.

So apparently I can't restore from itunes because the new exactly the same iPad is not compatible with the iPad I am trying to restore on....

For fucks sakes apple, why is everything they do so fucking painful.

Edit: Still says I need to approve iPad on an "approved device" but it sends it nowhere....... Guess I'll never get iCloud on this device either. Person at the genius bar had no clue either when I went to it last
week.

Edit 2: 45 mins on the phone and I had to figure it out on my own to get it working. Top notch support.

jts

...hate me...
Current iOS 11 public beta on the iPad Pro... damn, this is smooth as hell. Couldn't tell it's a beta.

Deku Tree

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...etachable-keyboard-for-105-inch-ipad-pro-blue

My Keyboard the "Logitech Slim Combo with detachable keyboard for 10.5-inch iPad Pro" has been good.

But the kickstand hangs a little bit when it is tucked into the case, I mean it doesn't cling to the case when closed and if held upside down it kinda hangs a little bit. I am pretty careful with it.

Does anyone else with this case also have a slightly hanging kickstand like that?

I'm not sure if there was something wrong with the old one or because I was using a cheap as hell kindle fire for the past week but this thing feels almost uncomfortably fast.

There was definitely something wrong with your old one, that much is clear

Yeah, it might be a little bit of both but I was clicking stuff to set up an app and was almost uncomfortably fast after having to wait on my kindle fire for it to do basic stuff. Either way, this one seems much better after using it for less than a day.

Almost debating getting the pencil after buying the keyboard... Hmm

Is there a better alternative than getting the $85 refurb at the apple store?

Deku Tree

So I got the new 10.5” iPad Pro and the Logitech Keyboard Case for it. Currently the Keyboard only works after a restart. When I connect it to the iPad Pro randomly the keyboard doesn’t connect. I always have to restart the iPad to get the Keyboard to work.

How do I determine if this is an iPad Problem or a Logitech Keyboard problem? I don’t have another keyboard case to check with... Do I call Logitech or Apple? Thanks!

Vyer

So apparently I can't restore from itunes because the new exactly the same iPad is not compatible with the iPad I am trying to restore on....

For fucks sakes apple, why is everything they do so fucking painful.

Edit: Still says I need to approve iPad on an "approved device" but it sends it nowhere....... Guess I'll never get iCloud on this device either. Person at the genius bar had no clue either when I went to it last
week.

Edit 2: 45 mins on the phone and I had to figure it out on my own to get it working. Top notch support.

Likely it was sending it to the other iPad. Since the screen went out you never would have been able to remove it from your account or reset the device. When you have multiple devices it likes to use them for verification.

Probably a good idea to log into iCloud.com and see if the old one was/can be removed.

So I got the new 10.5” iPad Pro and the Logitech Keyboard Case for it. Currently the Keyboard only works after a restart. When I connect it to the iPad Pro randomly the keyboard doesn’t connect. I always have to restart the iPad to get the Keyboard to work.

How do I determine if this is an iPad Problem or a Logitech Keyboard problem? I don’t have another keyboard case to check with... Do I call Logitech or Apple? Thanks!

Is there an Apple Store near you? The Logitech case boxes are open so you can play with them, pop in with your iPad and test one of theirs

Also you’re not running the beta are you?

I had that keyboard case, it glitched out with me too. Stopped entering keys while I was typing on it. I like the Apple Smart Keyboard but I miss the backlight keys.

Return it.

Deku Tree

Is there an Apple Store near you? The Logitech case boxes are open so you can play with them, pop in with your iPad and test one of theirs

Also you’re not running the beta are you?

Yeah I am running the iOS 11 beta latest PB. is that causing known problems with the smart connector?

Jofamo

I have a question for anyone using the original 12.9" iPad Pro, and primarily uses Procreate to draw with the Apple Pencil (I hope there's at least one more here?).

What kind of battery life do you get while drawing?

I've been using this iPad as my main digital drawing device for the last year and a half, and together with Procreate and the Pencil, it's absolutely the best portable digital drawing experience I've ever used. It's amazing.

I've noticed that while drawing on it, battery drains pretty quickly. I chalked that up to the combination of an always on, bright screen, along with the memory intensive app and the iPad Pro constantly checking the Pencil connection (when the Pencil comes into contact with the screen, the iPad Pro increases it's touch input refresh rate).

However, I measured it last night, and I went from 100% battery to 5% in just 3 hours (drawing the entire time). That doesn't sit quite right with me. I have Apple Care, so I'm tempted to give them a call, but I wanted to know if this was a problem with my own iPad or just a general workload thing.

SOLDIER

Just to double check, this is the latest Pro model, correct?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=1342466&is=REG

Never bought from these guys, so I hope it's all legit.

While I wait for that, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a mini cover or bag to protect the iPad. I've got the official Smart Keyboard for my current iPad, but I also take it with me to work in a book bag. This has resulted in a couple of minor dents on the sides (thankfully not the screen) and back.

I want to avoid that and keep the iPad as pristine as possible, but I don't want to add extra bulk to it; I just want something that can protect it during my book at travels, while I continue to use just the art keyboard when carrying it around the house and so on. Alternatively, if there is a Smart Cover/Keyboard hybrid that's better than the official brand in regards to protection and form factor, I would like to know about that as well.

Vyer

Just to double check, this is the latest Pro model, correct?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=1342466&is=REG

Never bought from these guys, so I hope it's all legit.

While I wait for that, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a mini cover or bag to protect the iPad. I've got the official Smart Keyboard for my current iPad, but I also take it with me to work in a book bag. This has resulted in a couple of minor dents on the sides (thankfully not the screen) and back.

I want to avoid that and keep the iPad as pristine as possible, but I don't want to add extra bulk to it; I just want something that can protect it during my book at travels, while I continue to use just the art keyboard when carrying it around the house and so on. Alternatively, if there is a Smart Cover/Keyboard hybrid that's better than the official brand in regards to protection and form factor, I would like to know about that as well.

Yes that's the one

SOLDIER

Again, trying to find a mini-case that can house both the iPad and the Smart Keyboard while connected to it. I just need something that will protect the iPad's corners while it shuffles around in my bag.

Edit: This looks like it'll do the trick. Cheap and claims to do exactly what I want.

Deku Tree

JYLeQWg.jpg

Is this Kickstand hanging normal for my recently purchased Logitech Slim Combo with detachable keyboard for 10.5-inch ?

It is very annoying.

Deku Tree

Thanks for the picture, I was having trouble before

No, absolutely not. Mine is flat against the back even when held horizontal

Oh now I see that the kick stand is held flat by two magnets on the base but my magnets were poorly secured to the base so they are now sticking to the kickstand instead.

dafodeu

So it is $450 dollars to repair an ipad pro 10.5 screen? That scares me into thinking I need AppleCare +. Maybe that's there plan. Do most gaffers buy AppleCare +?

So it is $450 dollars to repair an ipad pro 10.5 screen? That scares me into thinking I need AppleCare +. Maybe that's there plan. Do most gaffers buy AppleCare +?

Officially speaking, iPads aren’t modular. So with any damage that happens Apple replaces the whole thing. So yes, $450 is accurate and yes, I recommend getting AC+

SOLDIER

iPad arrived, everything appears perfect. S'all good. Not sure what the big differences are between this and the 2015 Pro, but the former was getting some wear and tear, so the upgrade was worth it.

I also settled on this bag, which can fit both the iPad and the smart keyboard (Amazon's search engine is great); I'm hoping this will do the job to protect it from bumps along the way to work while it sits in my bookbag.

So question: what are usually the best sites for iPad/iPhone wallpapers? I see all sorts of different sites but very few of them actually have wallpapers that take advantage of the modern resolutions and sizes.

Likely it was sending it to the other iPad. Since the screen went out you never would have been able to remove it from your account or reset the device. When you have multiple devices it likes to use them for verification.

Probably a good idea to log into iCloud.com and see if the old one was/can be removed.

Nah, I was never able to get it set up on the old one so definitely wasn't sending there. I had the same issue trying to activate on the old one but gave up once it was broken.

Does anyone experience slow download speeds for movies on the iTunes store? I have 50up/down but it's taking 2-3 hours to download a 4GB movie. Trying to figure out if it's the ipad or limitation of itunes or what is causing it.

Edit: Just tried iTunes on my computer and it's taking ~10mins to download a movie so I guess it's the device?

Lo-Volt

At the risk of sounding obsessive, I really wish Apple ditched the chamfered edge nonsense on this model, for the sake of 'durability'. Ever since it was featured with the iPhone 5S, I had to watch devices pit and scuff with even light use, and it's annoying. I'm also struck by Apple continuing this practice even though other current devices are dulled (the iPhone SE, the fifth-generation iPad). It's my biggest pet peeve; Apple devices look great in the showroom but don't always handle battle scars well.

Part of my whining is because of an act of carelessness on my part, I'll confess right now. I was using my 10.5 at home and moved a plate away from it. The fork sitting on the plate fell and met my iPad, reaching through the rose gold coloring at a pretty specific angle. :-/ I'm lucky I can barely see it in use, but once the light catches it, the effect is ruined.

This was also a great time to learn that those silicone back covers weren't carried over for the new form factor. Those expensive leather sleeves don't do any good when you're actually trying to use it, after all. Good thing Amazon sold a pretty well molded $10 knockoff, but boy. Perfectionists (or failed perfectionists like me) aren't always served well by the Apple Way.

Vyer

Nah, I was never able to get it set up on the old one so definitely wasn't sending there. I had the same issue trying to activate on the old one but gave up once it was broken.

Does anyone experience slow download speeds for movies on the iTunes store? I have 50up/down but it's taking 2-3 hours to download a 4GB movie. Trying to figure out if it's the ipad or limitation of itunes or what is causing it.

Edit: Just tried iTunes on my computer and it's taking ~10mins to download a movie so I guess it's the device?

install something like the speedtest app, see what kind of speeds you're getting wireless.

the wireless in the pro is pretty good, few years back I realized I was bottlenecked by my older router. even though I had like 75 down the ipad could only pull around 20 from my router. Bumped it up to a newer AC and my speeds jumped to 60+.

There was a rumor for a hot second there about Microsoft making a Surface Type Cover, but for the iPad. It popped up as a rumor in a battery listing, so if it uses Bluetooth that’s a hard pass for me but if they release a version using the Smart Connector I would be all over that shit super quick. Apple did say more smart connector stuff is coming, hopefully that’s one of those things

Combined with a new version of the NativeUnion Gripster case (http://www.nativeunion.com/gripster/) and I would be over the moon.

I just tried and I'm getting like half the speed but that's still 26mbps, 2 hours for a 3-4GB movie still send way too slow right? Does iTunes cap what speed you can download?

Yeah, even their site claims it should take 18-27 minutes at 24mbps. Any ideas why it's not working correctly?

Bought my son the 12.9" iPad Pro, Smart Keyboard, Apple Pencil, Applecare, and a cheap clear vinyl case off of Amazon to protect the back. I also purchased a bunch of apps for him: Notability; GoodNotes; Desmos; WolframAlpha; and Scanner Pro. Thinking about PDF Expert but it is rather expensive and does not qualify for Family Sharing (damn those IAP).

Vyer

I just tried and I'm getting like half the speed but that's still 26mbps, 2 hours for a 3-4GB movie still send way too slow right? Does iTunes cap what speed you can download?

Yeah, even their site claims it should take 18-27 minutes at 24mbps. Any ideas why it's not working correctly?

Yeah seems still to slow. I'd probably still focus on any compatibility issues with the router. Maybe see if the firmware is up to date. What brand/model is it?

I just downloaded an iTunes rental, 6.5 Gb, around 12 minutes. I get 110 down on my iPad.

Bought my son the 12.9" iPad Pro, Smart Keyboard, Apple Pencil, Applecare, and a cheap clear vinyl case off of Amazon to protect the back. I also purchased a bunch of apps for him: Notability; GoodNotes; Desmos; WolframAlpha; and Scanner Pro. Thinking about PDF Expert but it is rather expensive and does not qualify for Family Sharing (damn those IAP).

Holy shit. I’m assuming for school?

Top Bottom