• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music coming to PlayStation 5

ManaByte

They must have dropped it with Apple Music. On iTunes they used to charge you to put music in the cloud that you owned but was not sourced through Apple. (CD or MP3’s). I have never tried it but I wonder how it would handle a song that was not in the Apple Music library.

That was iTunes Match and it went away long before Apple Music.

jaysius

Banned
Last year I switched from Spotify to Apple Music, and while having a few issues at the beginning, I never looked back:

- The good thing about Spotify's excellent algorithm is that you always get new music you will mostly like but don´t know. The downside about that is that you always will only get the music you already like. It´s harder to "develop" your music taste because the algorithm only recommends the music genres you already listen to. For example, you always listen to American rap, but you don‘t know yet that you would really like Jazz Music. But Spotify won‘t recommend you Jazz because the algorithm thinks you don’t like it - because you never listened to it. That‘s the kicker.

I once tested the Apple Music Algorithm by creating a new Apple ID and starting on Apple Music with a free trial. I let my phone listen to only rap music playlists on repeat, nothing else, only American rap music, for like a week. Time after time, listening to my personal radio station, I got Pop songs, sometimes Electronic or very old school music. People mistake it for a flaw in the algorithm, but I think Apple does this on purpose. It feels more „human“to change the whole Genre from time to time. Spotify doesn’t do that for whatever reason. If you listen to Rap music a lot, Spotify thinks you should listen only to Rap music for the rest of your life.

- If you use Apple Music, tell Siri, "Hey Siri, play new music I like". This was GROUNDBREAKING for me when I tried it out the first time. With this Siri command, Apple Music creates a completely new personal Radio Station that plays like 70% new music based on the music you usually listen to and about 30% of the music you listen to often. This can not be found in the App itself, and it´s like a secret that doesn´t get advertised by Apple. You have to go out of your way with this Siri command to get this. It is so so good. When I drive to work, I usually only play this exceptional Radio station.

- Spotify is way more social, but you have to care about those social features to consider them important. I personally don´t care at all that other people listen to, and I always found that Spotify Wrapped Up is nice, but only for me personally in terms of statistics. It gets so cringe when people start posting their wrapped ups on Instagram and Twitter-like anyone cares, but maybe that´s just me.

- I learned that Spotify is perfect for the casual, young modern listener who´s always looking for a new hit that´s no longer than 2:53 minutes. While Apple Music is more for a puristic listener that listens to many older songs, mostly music he already knows. Someone who doesn’t feel the need to discover new music every day. Suppose you’re more like that kind of a listener than Apple Music is for you. It´s better for people who already know their music taste well and know how to look for new music.

- Apple Music came a long way, and its algorithm got optimized massively during the last couple of months. The algorithm was the main weak point of Apple Music and maybe still is, but it got a lot better.

- Apple Music is significantly louder and better quality-wise if you´re using AirPods 2, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max or Powerbeats Pro. The difference is amazing. That´s due to Apples special build-in H1-Chip in Apple's ear- and headphones that only support Apple Music. I tested this over many hours with Spotify's sound options maxed out and normalized Spotify sound. Spotify doesn’t come close to Apple Music in that aspect. Plus Apple Music lets you download music in a lossless format and high-res audio too.

- You can sort your library perfectly, while Spotify doesn´t even have "a real library" where you can edit data of your songs, albums etc. Apple Music is cut off from any podcasts, which I personally like a lot. Podcasts and Music are two different things for me. On Apple Music, I can change Album covers that I don‘t like.

- On Apple Music, I can upload older music from CDs that are nowhere available to stream, and it gets immediately uploaded to the cloud and adds seamlessly to my music library. The experience feels more „Pro“ with Apple Music. It gives you more options than Spotify.

- I can not confirm at all that Apple Music is buggy. It works perfectly fine on all devices I have (iPhone, iMac Pro, iPad Pro, Apple Watch 5). This might have been the case in the beginning phase of AM 2015-2017, but now I´m not having any issues at all.

- Apple Music pays artists almost double the amount of Spotify.

- Apple Music has its own radio stations and radio shows in many countries over the whole world. No algorithms creating playlists, but real people giving their opinions and curating music for you. The difference between what a real person curates and what an algorithm curate is still unreal.

- For me, the interface of Apple Music is levels above what Spotify does design-wise. It fits perfectly the design of iOS and Apple in general and looks so good and clean. I can change the volume right on the player's interface, which on Spotify I can not do.

- Many global, also Chinese corporations like Tencent hold shares and are involved in Spotify. With Spotify, you basically don´t have any data privacy at all; they track everything about your listening experience and then sell your data to anyone willing to pay for it. Same like Google does. Apple also tracks you to some degree, but they keep the data for themselves and don´t sell it to third parties.

If you want to know how I enjoy music: I use Apple Music as my "daily driver" and keep my music library there. I also have a Spotify account which I can keep for free (with ads). I use Songshift to sync my playlists from Apple Music to Spotify. Sometimes, I let my iPhone play my Apple Music playlists on Spotify at a deficient volume at night. The next morning I open the Spotify App. I get outstanding nice new music. Which I then sync over to Apple Music. Like this, you can have the best of both worlds lol.

One MAJOR THING that you missed.

Spotify has a FREE TIER, while APPLE MUSIC does NOT.

smbu2000

It does not have the full iTunes library, it has most of it there are a few weird exceptions that I have found when looking for certain songs and albums. It’s a small point just wanted potential subscribers to know that.

I thought this was an extra fee on top of the subscription like 25 dollars a year to be able to add your own library to your iTunes account. That may have changed though.
That was iTunes Match and it went away long before Apple Music.
iTunes Match is still available to subscribe to for $24.99/year.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146

If you subscribe to Apple Music, then iTunes Match is included with your subscription.
iTunes Match FAQ (Lifewiire)

Apple Music Guide (9to5Mac)

Tell me you've never tried Apple Arcade without telling me you've never tried Apple Arcade. A lot of gems on that service, my man. But yes, the idea of Apple Arcade outside of Apple devices doesn't make much sense - although all games are also designed to be used with controllers.
I’ve played a good portion. Outside of like Fantasian, Oceanhorn, and The Pathless it’s a LOT of freemium converted to free games. I get it free via Verizon, and I’m thoroughly disappointed. The only thing I’ve enjoyed is What the Golf?

Last edited:

LordCBH

They must have dropped it with Apple Music. On iTunes they used to charge you to put music in the cloud that you owned but was not sourced through Apple. (CD or MP3’s). I have never tried it but I wonder how it would handle a song that was not in the Apple Music library.

Yeah they basically rolled iTunes Match into the Apple Music subscription.

Jaysen

Banned
This implementation suuuuuuuuucks. The quick menu doesn’t show all my playlists, and my phone can’t control what plays on the PS5. This is definitely not a Spotify replacement for me.

Anyone dissing apple music doesn't know sound and/or has shit quality speakers/headphones. Lossless and atmos make it the best music sub service out there by far.
I need an eye massage after reading that 😂

Please do tell me about my shitty Audeze LDC-X, and superior-shitty preference for literally any other music service/flac files over Apple music. All day, every day. And I'm a sound guy.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: GHG

Jaysen

Banned
Anyone dissing apple music doesn't know sound and/or has shit quality speakers/headphones. Lossless and atmos make it the best music sub service out there by far.
The Dolby ATMOS tracks for the most part sounds like hot garbage. I can only assume you’re praising it because you “don’t know sound”.

GHG

The Dolby ATMOS tracks for the most part sounds like hot garbage. I can only assume you’re praising it because you “don’t know sound”.

Tell us what you're listening to them on.

Please expose yourself.

DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong it's as good as it gets for a subscription service. If you can tell me there's a sub service I can get better quality music streamed to my 7.1.2 system with the same breadth of selection then I'll sign up tomorrow.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Yeah I love Apple Music. I feel bad because now I'm not buying nearly as much music and the sub model has pretty much destroyed the music industry in that respect but ... Apple Music just works so well, integrating what you pull from the service with stuff you own and having your entire library right there. And it sounds great.

ManaByte

Yeah I love Apple Music. I feel bad because now I'm not buying nearly as much music and the sub model has pretty much destroyed the music industry in that respect but ... Apple Music just works so well, integrating what you pull from the service with stuff you own and having your entire library right there. And it sounds great.
And it works great with CarPlay. Cancelled Sirius when I got my new car because Apple Music is better.

Dont care , can't get ps5, so why does it matter? Won't be in stores untile 2024 so why does it matter? Apple sucks, so why does it matter? itunes is crap, so why does it matter?

Let me know when i can legit buy a ps5 for msrp... then it will matter.

Lone Wolf

Dont care , can't get ps5, so why does it matter? Won't be in stores untile 2024 so why does it matter? Apple sucks, so why does it matter? itunes is crap, so why does it matter?

Let me know when i can legit buy a ps5 for msrp... then it will matter.
Target had a drop this week. Are you following the appropriate people to keep track?

Trimesh

Banned
You can with Apple Music. Just upload them to iCloud.

Great. So you have to subscribe to two different subscription services to do something you used to be able to do locally for free. Excuse me if I am less than enthralled by this idea.

Tell me you've never tried Apple Arcade without telling me you've never tried Apple Arcade. A lot of gems on that service, my man. But yes, the idea of Apple Arcade outside of Apple devices doesn't make much sense - although all games are also designed to be used with controllers.
Damn right. Paraphrasing the photographer quote - "the best console is the one that's with you". Love me some Clap Hanz golf.

dano1

A Sheep
This implementation suuuuuuuuucks. The quick menu doesn’t show all my playlists, and my phone can’t control what plays on the PS5. This is definitely not a Spotify replacement for me.
I believe this is day one.. Probably be some updates down the road.

Downloaded it. Works great. I have both Spotify and Apple Music. I prefer Apple Music. Spotify has a weird setup. I just use it for Podcasts. Apple should just add podcasts.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with this. In the app itself it's not showing all my playlists. Regular playlists are showing but not all my smart playlists that show up on my other devices. But all the ALBUMS and individual SONGS do seem to be there. A bit odd. Also, it seems like the quick play music menu will only show playlists you've used recently as well as some of the 'essentials' and recommended. Still, it's good to have access to this service. I'm sure it will evolve moving forward. Just a bit odd that Apple didn't make the app exactly the same as others.

BreakOut

Apple sucks... ok, why?
Oh dude it’s weird right? I had a friend that just about Had an anxiety attack when he learned Apple Music was coming to PlayStation 5. People are fucking weird. I think it’s so crazy that people can get so anti-company because they like another one or just don’t have an iPhone.

Like motherfucker… use your android and shut up. Why do you care what other people use. If the service your using is SO damn great Then it shouldn’t need your help.
I liked Spotify but now I use Apple1 for the TV+, Apple Arcade Etc; So this is a really nice consumer option.

Oh dude it’s weird right? I had a friend that just about Had an anxiety attack when he learned Apple Music was coming to PlayStation 5. People are fucking weird. I think it’s so crazy that people can get so anti-company because they like another one or just don’t have an iPhone.

Like motherfucker… use your android and shut up. Why do you care what other people use. If the service your using is SO damn great Then it shouldn’t need your help.
I liked Spotify but now I use Apple1 for the TV+, Apple Arcade Etc; So this is a really nice consumer option.
People are that fucked! I'm so happy Apple Music is on PS5. It gives me one more reason to pay for this service. I only pay for music and more cloud. I still have 6 months of free Apple TV! I love the service, it's getting better and better.

Steve Jobs was right, the less the better. The more options you give, the more they get mad.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Nice one downloaded and installed. I liked the way it instantly had all my uploaded music available to me (not Apple Music, all the stuff I manually uploaded / playlists / specific live albums etc / stuff thats never been commercially released if you get my drift)

Sinthor

Gold Member

BAM! THIS! I for the life of me cannot figure out why so many people have such a hard time with other people making different choices than they do. Look, I get that everyone wants to feel 'smart' and that they 'did the right thing' with product they buy. So sure, be proud of your PS5 or XsX....yeah, go ahead and even think and say that the one you have (assuming you don't have both) is the best. FINE. But if someone else is like 'I like the other thing better,' WHY would you let it wreck YOUR world? WHO CARES? Deal with it. Just move on. If you don't like iPhones or Apple or Samsung or Android...cool. But for the love of God, please STFU when someone else mentions that they like the one you don't have! Enough of this kindergarten bullshit already!

no intention of buying a ps5 but this is good. hopefully Apple is gonna start trying to catch up with Spotify on what platforms are supported. it's shocking that on Windows your only options are using iTunes which is so damn old and bloated OR using their web player which is a buggy mess. i hope we get a native Windows app for Apple Music. also, my TV hasn't got Apple Music but it has Spotify. i like Apple Music but went back to Spotify cause they actually properly support Windows and my TV. there was no way i was gonna listen to AM on my iphone/ipad and then use Spotify on my PC/TV.

Last edited:

smbu2000

So if I upload my MP3s to iCloud, I can play them for free through Apple music?
If you use the itunes match feature of Apple Music, I believe it syncs your library and if an album in your library is already available on the itunes store/apple music, then it will just stream that version when you listen to it from another device.
If the album isn't available on the itunes store/apple music, then that album will be uploaded and when you listen to it from another device it will stream that uploaded one.

I posted this link earlier in the thread:
https://www.lifewire.com/itunes-match-faq-1999186

You can add up to 100,000 songs to your iCloud Music Library via iTunes Match, and your music goes to iTunes Match in three ways:

• The music you purchased from the iTunes Store is automatically part of your iCloud Music Library.
  • iTunes Match scans your iTunes library to catalog the songs in it. Apple's software then adds music you have on your hard drive library that's also available on iTunes to your account. It doesn't matter where that music came from—if you bought it from Amazon, ripped it from CD, or acquired it from another source. As long as it's in your library and available in the iTunes Store, it'll be part of your iCloud Music Library.
  • Apple uploads music in your iTunes library that isn't available in the iTunes Store from your computer to your iCloud Music Library. But it only does this with files in the AAC and MP3 formats.

Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom