• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Anyone got some good videos showcasing the gold color? It seems to be different in every video I watch. Sometimes copperish, sometimes gold, sometimes white almost.

SuperPac

Any talk about when reviews for the 8 will start popping up?

If the iPhone 7 reviews are any guide - tomorrow at 6 am.

The reviews are gonna be weird this year since the X is what everyone really wants to get their hands on and the 8 is sort of a known quantity as a revision of the 6/7 design.

Red

The reviews are gonna be weird this year since the X is what everyone really wants to get their hands on and the 8 is sort of a known quantity as a revision of the 6/7 design.
Yeah, there seems to be no hype for the 8. But it’s what I’m getting and I’d like to see a few performance tests and camera comparisons.

killroy87

Yeah, it's going to be tough to parse through all the "Is this really a worthwhile upgrade?" opinion pieces and actually get to quality phone reviews.

I know how much money i make and what I'm buying, I can decide if it's worthwhile thanks :p

Dez

Is there any confirmation that 4k movies will be available in Canada on AppleTV? I'm not seeing any updates to my existing titles or even searching for new stuff - there are no 4k symbols to be found.

kaskade

Apple TV's Netflix app was updated and it's showing a little HD badge next to titles. Curious if it'll have a 4K one on the 4K titles on the new Apple TV?

Also, is Apple pretty accurate with their shipping estimates or could stuff come early? My Apple TV is estimated for 10/2-10/4.

MercuryLS3

Yeah, it's going to be tough to parse through all the "Is this really a worthwhile upgrade?" opinion pieces and actually get to quality phone reviews.

I know how much money i make and what I'm buying, I can decide if it's worthwhile thanks :p

Seriously, I wish Anandtech could get their review out quicker but it's understandable that it will take them some time to complete it.

nbcjr

Is it only here or did apple pulled the preorder pickup?

Maybe as a way to hide the fact that it still was available for launch day pickup?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Is it only here or did apple pulled the preorder pickup?

Maybe as a way to hide the fact that it still was available for launch day pickup?

Yeah I thought it was weird that the instore date didn’t really get pushed.
Just says unavailable now.

Juice

Is there still no untethered way to listen to podcasts on Apple Watch Series 3 / watchOS 4?

Hard to believe that I can't (won't) go for runs with just watch and AirPods because there's no way to sync or stream podcasts to the watch.

Juice

Conversation between two blondies:
- Sweety, can you believe that, my new notebook is almost as fast as our new iphones!
- Wat? Nooo, sweeety, that's not possible -- did you benchmark it properly?
- I did, sweety, it's 4000 on gb4.
- Quick, let's take a selfie with this notebook -- I want to post it on my fb! I'll add some emoji animations too. I'm calling dibs on the tiger emoji, rarrr!

wtfisthisshit.gif

Is there still no untethered way to listen to podcasts on Apple Watch Series 3 / watchOS 4?

Hard to believe that I can't (won't) go for runs with just watch and AirPods because there's no way to sync or stream podcasts to the watch.

There was a hacked way with Overcast in watchOS3 but that has been patched over in watchOS4.

There IS a way but it is crazy roundabout. Basically you take the podcast file you want to listen to, add it to your iTunes music library as a music track, get that on to your phone (either through iCloud Music Library or syncing, whatever you want), then add that file to a playlist and sync that playlist to your watch

Anyone got some good videos showcasing the gold color? It seems to be different in every video I watch. Sometimes copperish, sometimes gold, sometimes white almost.

Not what you asked for but here's a good picture of the docks comparing the different gold colors.

dupOfF7.jpg

ramyeon

Not what you asked for but here's a good picture of the docks comparing the different gold colors.

dupOfF7.jpg
I’m guessing the one on top is the new 8 colour?

Ended up preordering an 8 Plus Gold 64GB. Base should be 128GB at this point but I couldn’t justify forking our more for 256GB, which is way more than I need.

Looking forward to getting it this Friday.

Bandicoot

I would think we will see someway to do this with cellular model? Seems crazy to not support it.

White fronts look elegant but I always end up getting something with a black front.

Contemplating an iPhone X in silver since it has a black front anyway

Juice

There was a hacked way with Overcast in watchOS3 but that has been patched over in watchOS4.

There IS a way but it is crazy roundabout. Basically you take the podcast file you want to listen to, add it to your iTunes music library as a music track, get that on to your phone (either through iCloud Music Library or syncing, whatever you want), then add that file to a playlist and sync that playlist to your watch

Yeah that's some bullshit right there. Apple must know that just as many people work out to audio books and podcasts as music

kaskade

White fronts look elegant but I always end up getting something with a black front.

Contemplating an iPhone X in silver since it has a black front anyway

I’m happy they both have a black front, I don’t really care what the back color is. I’ll just get whichever is in stock.

j-wood

Is there something I don't know about the white front iPhones? I just ordered the silver 8, to replace my black 7 (my first iPhone).

MercuryLS3

I'm not saying you should buy that dock but I like stands to keep my phone upright at my office desk.

You can get wireless chargers that are stands too. I'm glad the 8 supports Qi, going to get a nice table lamp that has a lightning connector dock, apple watch dock, wireless charging as well as USB C port for my home and an upright charger for work.

You can get wireless chargers that are stands too. I'm glad the 8 supports Qi, going to get a nice table lamp that has a lightning connector dock, apple watch dock, wireless charging as well as USB C port for my home and an upright charger for work.

Is there a lamp like that that exists...?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I just decided today I want a Nike LTE watch.

Has it always had a staggered/late release since the midnight preorders? Or is there a small chance stores will have them in stock on Fri?

btrboyev

Is Series 1 the exact same specs as the Series 1 they released last year alongside the Series 2? Or did it get a spec bump, just retaining no GPS (and now, LTE).

Series 1 and 2 are the same specs. Both improved over the 1st gen. Series 2 had gps and full water proofing.

NYR

Has it always had a staggered/late release since the midnight preorders? Or is there a small chance stores will have them in stock on Fri?
I would wait to try in store on Friday and then try to order if you fail. It's been back ordered since after day 1.

I would wait to try in store on Friday and then try to order if you fail. It's been back ordered since after day 1.

Nike watches are shipping after by default. Stores won’t have any come Friday

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Nike watches are shipping after by default. Stores won’t have any come Friday

Yep - just saw that on MR... looks like 10/05 is Day One for the Nike watches. Thanks, guys!

Theonik

Right, but the dude was asking about "regular blu rays" which are still 1080p VC-1/H264 right? So I think he's wondering how a 4K iTunes movie (HEVC) compares to an HD BR. The latter will for sure have a higher bitrate but I'm curious if Apple is opting for smaller file sizes or higher bitrates with HEVC's efficiencies.
Everyone, including apple, are doing much lower bitrates for 1080p. Closer to 8. For 4K you are encoding 4x the information so bitrates must go up to compensate, including any efficiency gains and quality improvements.

Top Bottom