• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple September Event 2017 |OT| A Top-Notch Keynote

most phones still ship with 32GB nowadays
i'm fine with 64GB for the next few years

even my Desktop SDD is just 240GB
what do you spend the 200GB of storage on? :O

128 GB is a good middle ground that i use on my 7.

No way i would buy a 64 GB model of a phone for $1440.

or $1652 for a 256 GB model for that matter..

They kept referencing the new Airpods "case".

What does that mean? I already have Airpods so would i just need to buy a new case or something to enable wireless functionality?

RDreamer

Why are you unlocking your phone if you don't plan on looking at it?

Uh... me and pretty much countless other office people unlock our phones on our desk and you can see the screen just fine without the phone being able to see your face. I do it to switch songs, quickly check things, use the calculator, look at messages, etc. I don't want to have to pick the damned thing up every time.

Explain to me how I can unlock my phone with FaceID without pointing it directly at my face. Swiping has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

I'm confused by this. Why do you want to unlock your phone if you don't plan on looking at it? With Touch ID, you could unlock in your pocket, sure..... but what do you plan on doing if you don't pick it up and look at it. If it's on your desk, don't you have to bend over to look at it? Why is looking at your phone earlier in this sequence an issue?

check email, twitter, text messages, lookup fucking anything and everything via the internet, reference notes, etc., etc., etc.......

thanks for letting me know I've been using my device incorrectly.

You're welcome. Now you can enjoy your day.

When did the phone replace everything?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So this is certain? No way I would get the X knowing this.

Nothing is ever certain, but it was heavily rumored that Apple just couldn't work the Touch ID tech into the screen in time and that they fully intended to do so.

It would be pretty foolish to get rid of it as an option if they can get it to work. I totally expect it will return next year.

avaya

I didn't have a chance to watch the conference and I skimmed news about the Apple Watch Series 3. Do you need to pay another fee to use it with your carrier or there isn't any announcements yet?

Are you American? If so, then yes. AT&T and co will take at least $10 per additional line.

Multiple simultaneous levels of biometric authentication is, at the end of the day, the best kind of security you can get.

It is. I'm not arguing that. Like TouchID is a better system than FaceID from a convenience perspective full stop. I just don't think Apple will see value in doing all the work to reintegrate TouchID unless FaceID is an outright failure.

BroBot

I know you're being facetious...

rdlol.gif

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
what does any typical user need the power for? 99% of what you ever do on a phone will work just as well on snapdragon 835 as the new Apple chip. And 95% of apps you'd ever use are on Android now anyway... switching at this point is painless.

so 95% of the apps are on android, what about the other 5%? and what about the ones of the 95% that need to be bought again (people buy apps on iOS) and 99% of what you do.. what about the 1%?

I mean you just said "concession concession concession.. and they'd be idiots to not accept them"

now had you said iphone 8 vs. X you have a much more valid point... but the people (such as myself) going for the X have zero interest in the Galaxy lineup.

It is. I'm not arguing that. Like TouchID is a better system than FaceID from a convenience perspective full stop. I just don't think Apple will see value in doing all the work to reintegrate TouchID unless FaceID is an outright failure.

I'm hoping that there are reports of spotty accuracy all over once the phone is out in the wild.

I'm confused by this. Why do you want to unlock your phone if you don't plan on looking at it? With Touch ID, you could unlock in your pocket, sure..... but what do you plan on doing if you don't pick it up and look at it. If it's on your desk, don't you have to bend over to look at it? Why is looking at your phone earlier in this sequence an issue?

Other people have already explained the countless reasons I and many others would want to be able to unlock the phone without looking directly at it - see above.

Sooner or later Apple will really fuck up the iPhone and lose way too many sales, and everyone will be like 'We told you so!' after saying it every year.

Maybe that time is now if it will get them off their asses and stop treating a 3 year-old design as having reached perfection and now stopped trying altogether. Ooh polished stainless steel, glass screen beautifully tucked into bla bla bla stfu.

The only noteworthy thing about this presentation, as with every year, was Jony Ive's heavenly voice describing a crap product.

Piggus

So the upgrade program in the US is only available through ~5 carriers? I have ATT which is fine, but my wife has MetroPCS. So I'm guessing her phone would have to be bought at full price?

Chorazin

I think it's clear to me at this point I need to be on a every two years upgrade program. My Series 1 Watch is still awesome, and so is my 7 Plus. iOS 11 and watchOS 4 will make them both feel fresh.

Gonna ride out the 7 Plus so I'll own it by the time the X2 comes out. Maybe get that and the next Watch at that point.

Miyahon

Are you American? If so, then yes. AT&T and co will take at least $10 per additional line.

Yeah I have T-Mobile but it seems they only offer the GPS + Cellular model in Stainless Steel so you would be paying for something you don't need if you just wanted to use it with your phone only.

All things being equal speed-wise, TouchID and FaceID will always each have some edge cases where one works and the other doesn't (ever try to use TouchID with wet fingers?). That's why I think it's a desirable goal for the phone to have both.

More to the point, Apple already has been working to integrate TouchID directly into a display, according to plenty of reliable leaks.

Piggus

Maybe that time is now if it will get them off their asses and stop treating a 3 year-old design as having reached perfection and now stopped trying altogether. Ooh polished stainless steel, glass screen beautifully tucked into bla bla bla stfu.

The only noteworthy thing about this presentation, as with every year, was Jony Ive's heavenly voice describing a crap product.

Spoiler alert: it isn't

ekim

btw I rewatched the presentation and the FaceID failed the first time because the device was just booted up. You always need to enter your passcode to enable TouchID after a fresh boot - same goes with FaceID.

avaya

Yeah I have T-Mobile but it seems they only offer the GPS + Cellular model in Stainless Steel so you would be paying for something you don't need if you just wanted to use it with your phone only.

T-Mo might be the only carrier that may play nice with this, others will certainly jump at the chance to charge you the additional line fee. The Watch is basically an addition to any family plan.

I'm currently looking at my phone laid out on my desk about 1 to 2 feet away from me at an angle. I am not bending over to look at it either. I doubt I would be able to unlock the X and use it in this manner without picking up the phone or hovering my face over it, but we will see.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
As someone who has had an Apple Watch since Day One but hasn't even put it on in six months, I have to say... I'm surprisingly excited about what LTE brings to the table.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm really sad at the color lineup for iPhone X. Guess it's time to go black, but I'm a big gold fan and the iPhone 8's gold looks fantastic. And we even lost the great blacks from the 7 lineup.

Wait really? Did they announce a price?

It was $69 for a replacement regular AirPods case. Not sure about the wireless one yet.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Other people have already explained the countless reasons I and many others would want to be able to unlock the phone without looking directly at it - see above.

we'll see. I mean you are still "looking at" your phone, despite how you are trying to frame it.. so the question is, how extreme of an angle can it sit on a surface and still be unlocked?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
My basic thoughts after this keynote:

The phones are overpriced.
I don't see anything that is new or initiative. All of these features have been around on other phones for years now.
4K TV and saying sports are available, but not giving a list of sports channels. ESPN was the only thing I could confirm. What about Foxsports 1 & 2, NBCSN, CBS Sports, MASN, AT&T Sports, SEC Network, B1G Network, PAC Network ACC Network, NFL Network, MLB Network, the list goes on and on.
Apple watches with LTE built in. That is a nightmare for our business. We will now have to ban these.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
All things being equal speed-wise, TouchID and FaceID will always each have some edge cases where one works and the other doesn't (ever try to use TouchID with wet fingers?). That's why I think it's a desirable goal for the phone to have both.

More to the point, Apple already has been working to integrate TouchID directly into a display, according to plenty of reliable leaks.

I really can't get why they didn't just put it in the apple logo on the back, it's better than nothing surely?

SGRX

I really wanted to like the X, but the main thing I took from the presentation is that I don't want to buy into the first generation of this tech. I'll just hold onto my 6s Plus for another year.

Daffy Duck

lol I think I upset my best mate

He sent me a message how amazing it looked and I told him well yeah if you like to animate emojis lol lol

Think I may just get an 8 all said done.

They were working on it. We know that. But they encountered difficulties that they couldn't overcome. They still would have to put in a lot of work. My point is that they might see it as a problem they can move on from and allocate resources elsewhere if FaceID works and is accepted.

I've gotten used to it on my iPad (been running iOS 11 on it for a few months) and it feels really weird that it doesn't work on my iPhone now.

I actually have swiped up on my iPhone and been momentarily confused as to why I wasn’t in multitasking. It was a weird moment for me

Top Bottom