• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Blackhead

Redarse
Fuck. Guess I'm waiting for general release, then. But damn, if that thing works it looks slick

The tech should work; the floating light has already been done before successfully by other kickstarters( Flyte, Lyfe) and you can find parts on chinese sites.

This looks cool for a watch but I don't think it's actually useful. I'd rather just have the charging pad instead of fumbling around at night to strap on my watch around the floating charger

The tech should work; the floating light has already been done before successfully by other kickstarters( Flyte, Lyfe) and you can find parts on chinese sites.

This looks cool for a watch but I don't think it's actually useful. I'd rather just have the charging pad instead of fumbling around at night to strap on my watch around the floating charger

The utility for me is the fact that the hovering thing is also a battery pack, and the Pro version has a dock for my phone and my iPad

I would drop $300 on that thing easy

JayDub

The utility for me is the fact that the hovering thing is also a battery pack, and the Pro version has a dock for my phone and my iPad

I would drop $300 on that thing easy

Also, you wouldnt actually need to fumble with putting the watch on. You actually lift the floating dock, put on the watch, and put it back on the base station to levitate. Easier than putting it on my current watch dock (it moves when you put it on).

Utility wise, no night clock mode is a loss.

Utility wise, no night clock mode is a loss.

I thought about that, but honestly I could deal. It would only become an issue once the watches have always on displays. Otherwise with the current nightstand mode having to tap it to display doesn't work well for me

When you charge your watch and iPhone do you turn Bluetooth off and pair them back up in the morning or leave them paired throughout the night? I worry about putting strain on the devices if I'm not suing them during sleep

When you charge your watch and iPhone do you turn Bluetooth off and pair them back up in the morning or leave them paired throughout the night? I worry about putting strain on the devices if I'm not suing them during sleep

What sort of strain would you be putting on them?

Before I had an Apple Watch I left Bluetooth on all the time for airdrop/handoff-continuity. It really doesn't make any difference, and the battery drain is almost nothing

jts

...hate me...
You're not putting any extra strain on them by using them the way they are intended to... in fact some features rely on having them connected while on charge, that's when they sync up completely.

Don't do that. Might as well turn off your devices while not using them.

Moozo

Feel like an un-crippled WhatsApp would be the killer Apple Watch app for me. Hate not being able to see he content of messages.

mrkgoo

I just use them as normal people would use them. That is, just stick them in charge and unplug when I wake up.

Funny thing, night stand mode is something I thought was quite silly, but turns out to be one of the most useful features. At night, the slightest bump will bring it up. So I can just knock my bedside dresser or anything. No more fumbling for my phone!

Hate to say it, but I'm almost a bit happy about the Apple Watch 2 rumors. They're going to add GPS (smart) and 'maybe' waterproofing and greater battery life. Each of these are great additions, but it's not a single feature I need. I don't have to wear my watch in the shower, which people say works fine, I definitely don't need to wear it swimming. And I like having the phone along for any exercise.

I guess what I'm saying is nothing rumored makes me feel like a dope for going in early. If they figured out a way to keep the watch face illuminated during the day all day long, that would be something I might like, but the current solution is just fine.

I have notifications tuned very well, adding complications for more 3rd party apps seems like a no-brainer as I have zero tolerance for the apps UI. If it doesn't come from a notification or a complication, I'm not interested. I'd say to potential buyers wait, get the latest and greatest version, but I'm pretty happy with how the watch works right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hate to say it, but I'm almost a bit happy about the Apple Watch 2 rumors. They're going to add GPS (smart) and 'maybe' waterproofing and greater battery life. Each of these are great additions, but it's not a single feature I need. I don't have to wear my watch in the shower, which people say works fine, I definitely don't need to wear it swimming. And I like having the phone along for any exercise.

I guess what I'm saying is nothing rumored makes me feel like a dope for going in early. If they figured out a way to keep the watch face illuminated during the day all day long, that would be something I might like, but the current solution is just fine.

I have notifications tuned very well, adding complications for more 3rd party apps seems like a no-brainer as I have zero tolerance for the apps UI. If it doesn't come from a notification or a complication, I'm not interested. I'd say to potential buyers wait, get the latest and greatest version, but I'm pretty happy with how the watch works right now.

same here. Notifications and complications are all I really need, and I'm enjoying the activity tracker more than I thought - walking a lot with my new job so its nice to be able to see what I've done.

I would like more customisation for watch faces though. Got spoiled by android wear on that front.

Ferulci

I created a face for Metroid 30th anniversary with Facer
Cqyy1QWWYAAT0eU.jpg

What do you think ?
You can download it here :
https://www.facer.io/watchface/BXOd4hS1ZG
The process is too long but since Apple doesnt have a face store yet, this is the only way

aparisi2274

Whats the status on the WatchOS beta? Has it gotten any better? I have been testing iOS10 on my iPad and its pretty stable, so I was going to consider putting it on my main iPhone and then updating to WatchOS...

If the GM will be out soon, then maybe I'll wait

Whats the status on the WatchOS beta? Has it gotten any better? I have been testing iOS10 on my iPad and its pretty stable, so I was going to consider putting it on my main iPhone and then updating to WatchOS...

If the GM will be out soon, then maybe I'll wait

watchOS3 has heen almost perfectly stable for me

I think I'm going to put iOS 10 on my iPad. I was initially holding out because I didn't want a beta on both of my iOS devices but fuck it, I deserve it

I don't have a USB-C cable to put the tvOS beta on my AppleTV or I totally would

same here. Notifications and complications are all I really need, and I'm enjoying the activity tracker more than I thought - walking a lot with my new job so its nice to be able to see what I've done.

I would like more customisation for watch faces though. Got spoiled by android wear on that front.

The health app is really pretty good. Yep, notifications and complications for the important things is the way to go. Anything that would make me use that dreadful Watch UI just makes me go to the phone first. Have apple CarPlay so getting the texts read to me via the car is safer during any drive. GPS makes sense for those that don't want to bring their phone along for their walks or runs, but I don't mind taking the phone along. Plus, I get a bigger choice of music to play with the phone. Finally, I don't have to keep Bluetooth headsets charged.

More watch faces, more customization of those watch faces, done with the phone instead of the watch, that would be very welcome.

Quasar

watchOS3 has heen almost perfectly stable for me

I think I'm going to put iOS 10 on my iPad. I was initially holding out because I didn't want a beta on both of my iOS devices but fuck it, I deserve it

I don't have a USB-C cable to put the tvOS beta on my AppleTV or I totally would

Well ios10 on my air2 has been rock solid.

A purported photo of a larger 334 mAh lithium-ion battery destined for the Apple Watch 2 has surfaced on Chinese microblogging service Weibo, foreshadowing expected battery life improvements coming to the wrist-worn device.

The battery is allegedly for the 42mm model, which currently has a 246 mAh battery, suggesting the next-generation 42mm model could have a 35.7% larger battery. The photo does not provide any clues about potential battery life improvements coming to the smaller 38mm model, which is currently equipped with a 205 mAh battery.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/08/28/apple-watch-2-battery-photo/

jts

...hate me...
Just went to bed with my Apple Watch being over 60% of
battery.

18 hours lol.

Only time my Apple Watch went into power reserve was by the end of next day after not being able to charge it overnight.

But a larger battery makes sense to accommodate for GPS.

jts

...hate me...
Some people will barely notice there's a GPS chip on the Watch since I'm guessing it will be basically disabled while the iPhone is connected.

Although I wonder if Apple can pull smart tricks like for example having the Watch provide GPS data to the iPhone, if the iPhone is low on battery, or simply set to low power mode (and simultaneously the Watch has enough juice to spare the power drain).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Happy with my £300 stainless steel original. Don't plan on using native apps much so hopefully I won't notice the lack of CPU performance.

Prices still quite expensive - series one 'reduced' to the same price as before in the UK due to shitty exchange rate. Series 2 is £400

Doodis

Will likely be getting the Series 2 Nike+ version this holiday. I've been holding off on an Apple Watch purchase for a long time, waiting for version 2 to come out. My founder's series Pebble watch is feeling very outdated at this point.

Question for those of you with Apple Watch already: Can I download iTunes playlists and podcasts to the watch? And I can connect my bluetooth headset, correct? Just hoping I will be able to leave my phone at home during my runs with the new watch.

Will likely be getting the Series 2 Nike+ version this holiday. I've been holding off on an Apple Watch purchase for a long time, waiting for version 2 to come out. My founder's series Pebble watch is feeling very outdated at this point.

Question for those of you with Apple Watch already: Can I download iTunes playlists and podcasts to the watch? And I can connect my bluetooth headset, correct? Just hoping I will be able to leave my phone at home during my runs with the new watch.

Yep! Playlist syncing is done from your phone, not a computer. Though I don't think podcasts work, just music from the Music app. And eyes, Bluetooth headphones work just fine

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yep! Playlist syncing is done from your phone, not a computer. Though I don't think podcasts work, just music from the Music app. And eyes, Bluetooth headphones work just fine

Podcasts still don't work? Shame.

I would love to go for a run with the AirPods and leave my phone behind. In fact, once Apple Watch becomes cellular I would likely leave my phone behind on many occasions, and just carry the AirPod case for calls. It'd be the phone killer.

Podcasts still don't work? Shame.

I would love to go for a run with the AirPods and leave my phone behind. In fact, once Apple Watch becomes cellular I would likely leave my phone behind on many occasions, and just carry the AirPod case for calls. It'd be the phone killer.

Even if they only use LTE for notifications from my phone I'm totally okay with that. I don't feel comfortable going for a run without my phone in case someone needs to get a hold of me or I need help

Doodis

Even if they only use LTE for notifications from my phone I'm totally okay with that. I don't feel comfortable going for a run without my phone in case someone needs to get a hold of me or I need help

But can't you technically conduct calls with the watch, Dick Tracy style? Serious question.

Since the old watch is the same as the new one minus GPS (which I don't need since I have my phone with me all the time) and waterproofing (which I don't need since I don't swim), I think I'm finally going to jump on board.

I guess only two questions: silver or black? And, can you see the Watch face outside in daylight?

Edit: I think I'm leaning to silver since it'll go with more stuff and black/black looks too nerdy.

Doodis

You can but you need to be connected to a phone or a WiFi network.

Ok, duh. That makes sense. So hmm, yeah, seems like I might need my phone with me on runs anyhow if I need my wife to be able to reach me. :(

Still gonna get the series 2 Nike watch but it's not going to release me from my phone like I had stupidly thought it would.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Apple Watch branding is a hot, confusing mess.

Last year we had Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition made out of pure gold.

Now there is Apple Watch Series 1, which contains last generation's Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch lineups, except they are not the same, because they have a new chip.

Then we have Apple Watch Series 2, which contains the new Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch lineups, except they are not called that any more, because Sports positioning is now lead by Apple Watch Nike+ Series 2, so they are simply called Aluminum and Stainless Steel, but they do come with the Sports band, which is not the Nike+ sports band, but the old one.

Finally we have Apple Watch Edition Series 2, which has nothing to do with the gold Apple Watch Edition, and costs a mere 1/20th of the previous generation's cost, and now only comes in white zirconia, like the Oura wearable, and only comes with the white Apple Watch Sport band.

whAwRv2.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
Also, note how in the picture above they show their oldest, cheapest model and their most expensive luxury model with the same band

Well, only took a couple hours, but I've talked myself into getting a Series 1 on Friday. Will order black with black sports band and will get a red one and a silver milanese loop on amazon.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Since the old watch is the same as the new one minus GPS (which I don't need since I have my phone with me all the time) and waterproofing (which I don't need since I don't swim), I think I'm finally going to jump on board.

I guess only two questions: silver or black? And, can you see the Watch face outside in daylight?

Edit: I think I'm leaning to silver since it'll go with more stuff and black/black looks too nerdy.

Try and see if you can see them in person. I had a black sport before and it was ok, but sold it a little while later. Recently I thought I'd get a silver sport as I needed discreet notifications for when I'm at work. But at the Apple Store it just looked weird and plasticky. Luckily I found a stainless steel with product red band dicoubtes to the same price as the sport.

For the sport I think black is better, but definitely worth looking around to see if any old models are being cleared out - especially if series 1 doesn't come in SS anymore. Check eBay too - mine was from PC World eBay store and was a 'refurbished' but was actually unused, just the box had been opened

Also third party bands are your friend. Several are pretty much identical to apple ones at a fraction of the price

Shearie

I'm actually tempted to sell my OG Apple Watch for a series 2 version for the doubling of the screen brightness alone. One clear disadvantage of using the OG that the series 1 will also have is how hard it is to see the screen in direct sunlight.

jts

...hate me...
The Edition is now absolutely beautiful. I'm soooo glad Apple pulled out of that 10k+ Watch silly business. It just didn't make sense for a tech company.

Anyway I think this was a rather nice update for current and new owners. As a 1st gen owner, I don't feel any rush to update (I would if I swam), unless the new OS runs bad, that is. It's a tock update, nothing groundbreaking. I believe the next update will have more of an impact.

Top Bottom