• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

btkadams

Why do I refresh my order status a million times per day? My bank app will immediately notify me of any charge, my ups app will alert me of an incoming package, the Apple Store app will alert me of an order status change, and I'll receive an email from Apple....but I still keep visiting that order status page lol.

ZhugeEX

Banned
My forecast for tomorrow

Apple iPhone - 57.2m
Apple Mac - 4.1m
Apple iPad - 10.9m

Revenue: $53b

Edit: Added revenue and fixed typo

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm surprised to find out that Apple Watch is a damn good Apple TV remote. The best remote for it in my opinion. Quick, easy to use blind and always at hand.

Walking directions are great. I just got walking directions to home depot and paid for my purchase without ever having to take my phone or wallet out once.

So I ran 20 minutes with my phone to calibrate the workout app, outdoor run. I never noticed the GPS arrow come up on my phone, so I'm wondering if it worked? Based on mapmyrun.com the phone/watch was short by .2 miles.

Walking directions are great. I just got walking directions to home depot and paid for my purchase without ever having to take my phone or wallet out once.

With smart locks coming along, wallets and keys are slowly going to decline. Many newer cars are already push to start. Your phone could very well act as the card "FOB".

riotous

Banned
My phone just got the shipping notice to arrive Tuesday.

I'm a 12:04 AM'ish Space Gray Sport 42MM orderer for those keeping track.

Have had no extra bands ship, but I ordered those over the course of the day after the pre-order launch. Got my extra charger last week.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So I ran 20 minutes with my phone to calibrate the workout app, outdoor run. I never noticed the GPS arrow come up on my phone, so I'm wondering if it worked? Based on mapmyrun.com the phone/watch was short by .2 miles.
GPS arrow should only come up of any app access location. Technically no app is accessing it so not sure. Also concerning that your phone reported two different distances basically. If you have your phone on you it will always prefer phone data points over watch ones I believe. Was the mapmyrun app on your phone?

I just went for my first run and I set it for 2 miles. I know about where 1 mile is in my area that I was running and the phone/watch combo seemed to be spot on. Won't trust watch only for a bit yet (though I really don't run. It was fun though so I may add more of that into my routine)

That's a fair concern, but it could just be put on the lock screen like the medical ID currently is. But this is all beyond the point since we won't see a digital ID for decades.

I wouldn't be too sure, it already exists on a limited basis. For example, residents of Washington State can get a special driver's license that includes an NFC chip that allows them to cross back and forth between Canada and the US without carrying a passport. Now imagine, your Apple Watch could theoretically do it instead of the card.

I wouldn't be too sure, it already exists on a limited basis. For example, residents of Washington State can get a special driver's license that includes an NFC chip that allows them to cross back and forth between Canada and the US without carrying a passport. Now imagine, your Apple Watch could theoretically do it instead of the card.

I don't doubt that it could technically be done.

Servbot24

Banned
Yeah I'm not sure if I'm on board with sapphire. It's probably good for watches which are more likely to scratch than drop, but on phones it's more likely to drop them.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah I'm not sure if I'm on board with sapphire. It's probably good for watches which are more likely to scratch than drop, but on phones it's more likely to drop them.
Sapphire won't be used for phone screens. All of the speculation of the failed sapphire debacle was more than likely related to the Watch, not phones. But yeah on a watch it's superior and unlikely to shatter given normal use.

Phreaker

My phone just got the shipping notice to arrive Tuesday.

I'm a 12:04 AM'ish Space Gray Sport 42MM orderer for those keeping track.

Have had no extra bands ship, but I ordered those over the course of the day after the pre-order launch. Got my extra charger last week.

That's great news. I am a 12:05 (3:05 my time) confirmation email receiver. Still says Processing Items - Delivers: May 13 - May 27 as of now. What was your original Delivery date?

GPS arrow should only come up of any app access location. Technically no app is accessing it so not sure. Also concerning that your phone reported two different distances basically. If you have your phone on you it will always prefer phone data points over watch ones I believe. Was the mapmyrun app on your phone?

I just went for my first run and I set it for 2 miles. I know about where 1 mile is in my area that I was running and the phone/watch combo seemed to be spot on. Won't trust watch only for a bit yet (though I really don't run. It was fun though so I may add more of that into my routine)
I used the web version of mapmyrun to plot out my course first. I was comparing the web map distance to my phone/watch distance. The web map said the route I did was 3.2 miles in 20 minutes, while the phone/watch said I ran only 3. I appreciate your insight; I'll try again tomorrow.

pharmx

Called being unlucky and hitting it at a terrible angle. I've dropped my phone hundred of time and it's fine. My sister drops her and the screen shatters.

You and I have similar sisters. I too have dropped my phone many times on varying surfaces with barely a scratch, but my sister drops hers once and the screen shatters.

hitsugi

I'm guessing people critiquing sapphire glass on a watch have never actually owned a watch that used it.. You do not want a scuffed or scratched up watch face - especially one like this.

The percentage of people who drop a watch is likely a fraction of 1% of the people who drop their phones.

pwack

My 12:04 Space Gray just shipped!

Question: looks like eBay prices are still netting a $400-$600 profit (saw a few selling for over $1000). Do I flip this guy or not? If I flip, I would look to replace it with a blue sport (so it ships quickly) and maybe an iPad mini, later buying a spare black band.

SuperPac

My 3:03-ordered 42mm stainless steel black sport band just shipped. That model is experiencing some of the longest wait - despite (I think) it being a very common choice. Arrives on Tuesday. Woo-hoo!

subrock

Holy shit Apple maps are bad. I was staring at a Walmart, and for shits and giggles I said give me directions to the nearest Walmart. I got directions to one in New York (I was in Washington State). Also tried "give me directions to the Ace hotel in Portland". Got directions to the ramada. Google maps worked flawlessly on both.

riotous

Banned
My 12:04 Space Gray just shipped!

Question: looks like eBay prices are still netting a $400-$600 profit (saw a few selling for over $1000). Do I flip this guy or not? If I flip, I would look to replace it with a blue sport (so it ships quickly) and maybe an iPad mini, later buying a spare black band.

While scalping limited edition items and tickets to once in a lifetime events is far worse, do you really think an enthusiast forum/thread where people are anxiously awaiting a product is the right place to discuss scalping?

Without scalpers everyone who legitimately wanted an Apple watch and stayed up late to order one would have had them Friday. It's not a moral issue or anything, but take those conversations elsewhere IMO.

mcfrank

Holy shit Apple maps are bad. I was staring at a Walmart, and for shits and giggles I said give me directions to the nearest Walmart. I got directions to one in New York (I was in Washington State). Also tried "give me directions to the Ace hotel in Portland". Got directions to the ramada. Google maps worked flawlessly on both.

And I had Google maps take me into a residential neighborhood and say I was at my destination when it was supposed to take me to a Maggianos Italian restaurant. It stopped me 4 miles away. Google maps is better than Apple maps still by a small margin, but let's not pretend it is perfect.

JoseDFrog

Banned
And I had Google maps take me into a residential neighborhood and say I was at my destination when it was supposed to take me to a Maggianos Italian restaurant. It stopped me 4 miles away. Google maps is better than Apple maps still by a small margin, but let's not pretend it is perfect.
I had Google Maps give me shitty directions too, but that was seven years ago. It's been flawless for me for years. I give Apple maps a chance every few months since it's tightly integrated with the iPhone and Siri but every time I try it gives me the wrong directions or it can't find popular POIs. It's a beautiful looking app and when it works it's great but they have a long way to go to catch Google.

Did you make sure to turn on Location Services for the Maps app on your phone? Without that it won't have any idea where you are.

cakefoo

Anyone else having trouble getting "Hey Siri" to work sometimes? Usually I have to lower/re-raise and it'll work, but I recently had to reboot the watch to make it work.

(Yes, I was trying it from the watch face screen)

DarkJC

Honestly I think it's there just because it's cool. The way the UI actually looks like your pushing it into your watch is really neat and I don't think the UI would be any less confusing if it required long presses instead of force presses as that wouldn't solve the actual problem of not knowing what's going to happen once you press down.

One benefit force pressing has over long pressing is that by design the device knows your intent. When you force press, it can immediately display that menu.

If it was a long press, it would have to consistently be watching every tap to see if you held it long enough, and then display the menu. This introduces some delay every time you want to access a contextual menu (think about the tap and hold interactions on the phone, like working with text selection)

you think apple maps in the US are bad? try apple maps in japan.

you think apple maps in japan are bad? try using apple maps in japan in english!

there's no data at all beyond, like, "tokyo station". i have to switch siri to japanese to get any use out of the voice control features whatsoever, which isn't exactly ideal.

No one is claiming google maps is perfect but apple map is trash by comparison

After how many years have passed and STILL no public transportation on it, it's been a disaster since launch

pwack

While scalping limited edition items and tickets to once in a lifetime events is far worse, do you really think an enthusiast forum/thread where people are anxiously awaiting a product is the right place to discuss scalping?

Without scalpers everyone who legitimately wanted an Apple watch and stayed up late to order one would have had them Friday. It's not a moral issue or anything, but take those conversations elsewhere IMO.

So you are saying there's a chance? :)

Look -- I'm a pretty generous guy, including giving away stuff on this forum (modbot codes; I gave another gaffer for free a watch I bought $250). But I also believe in the free market. Turns out some people want the watch more that I do. I am easily $400 excited for the watch; heck, I'm at least $600 excited for the watch. But the resale value is well above that right now. Am I $1300 worth of excited? $1000? I don't think so, but should I be? Those seem like legit topics of discussion.

Anyways, that is probably enough discussion for now. Don't mean to derail the thread.

So someone was talking about poor refreshing in 'glances'.

I experienced something like that with ESPN app with a live NBA game. There's no way to kill the app other than a reboot of the watch.

Ever since then, ESPN app is working but it is something Apple needs to consider. When apps fail, rebooting the entire watch is not a real solution.

SuperPac

So someone was talking about poor refreshing in 'glances'.

I experienced something like that with ESPN app with a live NBA game. There's no way to kill the app other than a reboot of the watch.

Ever since then, ESPN app is working but it is something Apple needs to consider. When apps fail, rebooting the entire watch is not a real solution.

You can force quit apps on the watch.

http://m.imore.com/how-force-quit-apps-apple-watch

Top Bottom