• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPad 2 event | March 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burger

LCfiner said:
EMBARGO IS UP!

engadget first

"It might frustrate the competition to hear this, but it needs to be said: the iPad 2 isn't just the best tablet on the market, it feels like the only tablet on the market."

Oh man the comments section is going to go mental.

Engadget is hilarious. It's like they hate their readers.
And rightfully so, most of them are d-bags.

The quieter speaker has me nervous. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

kehs

Banned
Buckethead said:

They certainly know how to pull page views, I'll give them that much.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Burger said:
"It might frustrate the competition to hear this, but it needs to be said: the iPad 2 isn't just the best tablet on the market, it feels like the only tablet on the market."

oh yea i predict 20,000 comments in an hour

I'll drink some bitter tears tonight

Burger said:

yessssssss delicious

numble

Anticitizen One said:
sounds good but disappointed with the cameras. I'll still get an ipad 2 but how likely is it that ipad 3 will have significantly better cams?
If the iPod Touch gets better cams this year, the next iPad should get better cams.

NYR said:
All right, I'm buying a smart cover.

The below apple videos confirm the cover can be folded to the back of the iPad when you hold it vertically like a book. My big concern was it didn't fild over correctly/smoothy and would become cumbersome.

http://movies.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/
Damn you. Those videos make the white iPad look really nice.

MikeE21286 said:
which video are you specifically referencing?
I think Safari.

Burger

Anticitizen One said:
sounds good but disappointed with the cameras. I'll still get an ipad 2 but how likely is it that ipad 3 will have significantly better cams?

For one, you won't be taking photos with this thing, this camera is for video chatting, nothing more. Although you CAN record video with it, you won't want to.

For video chatting, the cameras are more than adequate. I've seen no usage scenario that requires a tablet to have super high quality cameras.

Burger said:
For one, you won't be taking photos with this thing, this camera is for video chatting, nothing more. Although you CAN record video with it, you won't want to.

For video chatting, the cameras are more than adequate. I've seen no usage scenario that requires a tablet to have super high quality cameras.

Well I actually was planning to take photos with it.

One final wrinkle to the 3G buying decision: Only 3G iPad models come with GPS capabilities. There’s a good reason for this—iOS devices use something called assisted GPS to dramatically decrease the amount of time it takes for the devices to determine their location. (Despite the name, this is not some sort of phony GPS—the assisted just means that the devices look for nearby cellular towers to get a general fix on their location, which prevents a minutes-long GPS scan that would be required on a GPS device without the cellular assist.) In any event, if you dream of using your iPad as a jumbo GPS navigation console, you’ll absolutely need a 3G model.

Ok, someone explain this to me. I thought the original iPad had location-based services. Am I just dreaming that?

Burger

Anticitizen One said:
Well I actually was planning to take photos with it.

Why not use a camera instead of a $499 tablet?

BigNastyCurve said:
Ok, someone explain this to me. I thought the original iPad had location-based services. Am I just dreaming that?

Skyhook WiFi based location services.

numble

BigNastyCurve said:
Yes, but it will only use your Wifi network to guess your location. I wonder how accurate it is if you tether a phone to the iPad.

Tobor

Buckethead said:

The readers are fine. It's the commenters, Marty. Something has to be done about your commenters.

Burger said:
Why not use a camera instead of a $499 tablet?

Well yea but I really want to get to the point where I can carry around one device that can do everything adequately.

For example, I was hoping I could make some cool photos of myself using photo booth and uploading them to facebook but now im not sure if ill bother if the pictures will come out relaly blurry.

Burger

I'm reasonably sure that the iPad will receive near universal praise from most of the big review sites, just like the original iPad. Yet Engaget commenters still have no problem shouting "Bias!" or claiming Engadget was paid off.

Do they really think this is all a big conspiracy?

giga

Anticitizen One said:
lol yes you can I used it as a phone when I went to costa rica last year.
Let's be real. For real world everyday use, it's not practical to use as a phone. Third party apps and the form factor only go so far.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Burger said:
Pretty much. They also blame Apple for their competitor's products being shitty and/or not successful.

Those reviews make me glad about my decision to pick up a cheap 16Gb 1st Gen Wifi yesterday. For existing users the new one sounds awesome and a nice step up, but considering I hadn't really used one until yesterday, I guess I have no point of reference for the improvements. Happy to save some money (for once).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Burger said:
I'm reasonably sure that the iPad will receive near universal praise from most of the big review sites, just like the original iPad. Yet Engaget commenters still have no problem shouting "Bias!" or claiming Engadget was paid off.

No they just love to hate even on good products. That being said Engadget knows this and like a lot of review sites try and push the right buttons for the page views. They aren't stupid. Now whether you think this is right or wrong is your own personal call.

Vyer

Tech blog comments are always a cesspool, but over the last year or two Android fanboys have taken it to another level. EVERYONE who dares not worship Android is clearly biased. And it doesn't even have to involve Apple, they'll bring it up. They can't help themselves.

Still, it can make for some entertaining reading.

Burger

Anticitizen One said:
Well yea but I really want to get to the point where I can carry around one device that can do everything adequately.

For example, I was hoping I could make some cool photos of myself using photo booth and uploading them to facebook but now im not sure if ill bother if the pictures will come out relaly blurry.

Yeah it would be nice wouldn't it, except you'd look like a complete twonk taking photos with a tablet. There are good reasons cameras are the size of cameras. Besides, the old iPad had no cameras for $499, this one has video chatting cameras and is $499.

VitaminApple said:
It's frustrating to see a tablet device have the same RAM as the phone or even less when the 5 will be revealed.

Frustrating for who? The review said "NO MEMORY PROBLEMS"

BigNastyCurve said:
OK, Nostradamus.

LOL.

LCfiner

Zeth said:
from engadget review:

Interesting. First I've heard of this. Surprised fanboys aren't up in arms over their precious specs.

Apple spec sheet says 1 GHz clocked A5

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

so either it was downclocked for some reason or geekbench reported an unreliable value and should be updated. Or Apple just lied their asses off in their ad copy.

OMG what if geekbench got the RAM amount wrong, as well? :)

edit: or what giga said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom