• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Quick question, I got an interview off and planning to take it. But had 3 other interviews were they were supposed to get back this week. I'll assume that means I'm not first choice and take the other offer? I've sent a follow up email but hasn't heard back.

Slo

Had a Skype interview today, mostly just for practice. Company is too far away and I'm not overly interested in moving for it. Regardless, it went really well. They said it went well and want to bring me in to meet the team.

Applied for 4 jobs at what's damn near my dream company, three at my existing level and one being a promotion. Didn't hear from them for a few weeks so wrote them off, but a day ago I got a single rejection email about the one that'd have been a promotion. I guess that means that I've not yet been rejected for the other three?

Flux

Had a Skype interview today, mostly just for practice. Company is too far away and I'm not overly interested in moving for it. Regardless, it went really well. They said it went well and want to bring me in to meet the team.

Applied for 4 jobs at what's damn near my dream company, three at my existing level and one being a promotion. Didn't hear from them for a few weeks so wrote them off, but a day ago I got a single rejection email about the one that'd have been a promotion. I guess that means that I've not yet been rejected for the other three?

If they offer to cover the expense to travel, and you have nothing else planned, it's not the worst thing. It's how my dad landed his current job all those years ago.

The 4 jobs, that would mean they are still thinking about you for the other 3. Don't feel bad about missing the direct promotion. Lateral moves can still lead to a salary increase so there is still reason to remain optimistic.

br3wnor

Hi everyone, could use some insight on my situation.

Interviewed for a job last Tuesday, it was a panel (4) people and included the direct supervisor for that office, and three higher level people including the number 2 in the organization and the head of administration for the entire organization (it's a state sub agency that covers multiple counties). They only had 1 day of interviews so everyone who would be considered for the job was interviewed on the same day.

The interview went really well, it was one where they asked 12 preset questions that I'm assuming they ask every candidate and I felt like I held my own while also giving insight to my personality and tied it to my past work experience. I left feeling really good and was formulating my plan for the thank you e-mails the next day.

At 9:01am the next morning I get an e-mail from the 2nd highest ranking person on the panel saying it was a pleasure to meet with me and asking for 2 professional references. So this was before I sent my thank you's obviously so I said "thank you so much for meeting with me and please extend my gratitude to Ms. A, Mr. B and Mr. C". Now since it's a state job and they didn't give out contact info, I didn't have the e-mails of the people who interviewed me, so my original plan was to e-mail a thank you to the clerical person who had set my interview up and to ask her to forward it to the panel members, but since this guy e-mailed me first, I figured I could extend my gratitude to him and have him extend it forward.

He spoke to my references, one that same day, and the next one on Thursday. So now I'm waiting and obviously it's excruciating. And since it's a state job I have no idea if there are preset guidelines in place that could extend this waiting period or if it's a situation where they can make the offer pretty quickly if they feel they've found the candidate.

So I guess my 2 questions are:

1) Did I handle the thank you situation correctly? I felt that going to the clerical person and having them forward an e-mail after already being contacted by a panel member would have been kind of disjointed.
2) I'm assuming I'm at the worst, a top 3 candidate? It'd be one thing if they asked for references as part of the application (After resume/CL, I had to write a custom writing sample related specifically to the job once I scheduled an interview), but to ask them from me the next day and then contact my references so quickly, it feels like they wouldn't spend the time doing that for a lot of candidates.

The waiting game sucks and I currently have a job so it's not the end of the world if I don't get it but it would be such a nice pay bump and more structured job that it really would be a 'career' type situation and I could finally feel relaxed and ready to work happily for the next 30 years. Thanks for any insight.

jey_16

Banned
i think you did the right thing and i would say your the top candidate, companies only tend to go to the trouble of contacting references if they are very close to hiring you

dh4niel

I had my second interview for a job last week and just got a rejection email today. After having 5 years experience in the role where I work currently, I kinda feel like shit.

I had a job interview a few weeks ago. By tomorrow, it'll be exactly a whole month since I had it. And I haven't heard back. Is it possible that I won't hear back at all? I would think they would at least notify me that they decided not to pick me...but is it a thing where they just don't get back to you at all even if you got an interview?

dh4niel

I had a job interview a few weeks ago. By tomorrow, it'll be exactly a whole month since I had it. And I haven't heard back. Is it possible that I won't hear back at all? I would think they would at least notify me that they decided not to pick me...but is it a thing where they just don't get back to you at all even if you got an interview?

I've dealt with some shitty companies in the past and it's definitely possible. A month is a really long time though.

NeOak

I got a rejection a month and a half later after the interview

Mine01

I'll be one of you guys soon enough.

I've been sending some CV's already, but I do wonder what should put on the email's body, any suggestion??

Thx and godspeed job-hunting gaf.

I've dealt with some shitty companies in the past and it's definitely possible. A month is a really long time though.
I see. Yeah it is pretty damn annoying but the thing is if they decided not to have me on board couldn't they have emailed me early on?
I got a rejection a month and a half later after the interview
Ok. So I guess it is a thing where they make you wait unreasonably long to give you closure.

Thank you folks. And best of luck to you both, really do hope you (and we all) get what we deserve.

Flux

I'll be one of you guys soon enough.

I've been sending some CV's already, but I do wonder what should put on the email's body, any suggestion??

Thx and godspeed job-hunting gaf.
Ive always treated the email application as a cover letter as opposed to a separate attachment. So try to start with your strongest skills and experience. Read the job description and try to check off what they ask for, in the form of your own work. Try not to go match keywords they use and the company uses. Some places use an algorithm to sort and rank mass applications.

Feel free to post more or pm if you want help with your draft.

beasty

Im in the same boat, even emailed the company and no response. Company made me sit down for a 4 hour interview and speak with half the company staff. Just a one line rejection letter is good enough for me, but no response just feels so disrespectful.

Im in the same boat, even emailed the company and no response. Company made me sit down for a 4 hour interview and speak with half the company staff. Just a one line rejection letter is good enough for me, but no response just feels so disrespectful.
I agree. If we are not chosen, we are not chosen but they at least owe it to us to let us know for closure. Sad reality that if that is the case we may not be told.

Has anyone had experience with one of those sweepstakes game places? Someone who works at one told me they were hiring and can pay me under the table, but when I told moms about it she said to avoid it because I could end up in jail.

I prefer that then waiting on it for a week or two.
You actually be remembering? I don't. After all these years I've been looking for work. If I don't hear shit after two days I know I didn't get shit.

James93

Sadly that's pretty common. Many companies have got really bad about just sending a sorry we aren't hiring you email.

I think I have applied for around 30 jobs in the past week while I wait for a response for an apprenticeship. So many inane questions. If I don't make it, tell my wife hello.

Pending security and reference checks it looks like my two year post-graduation hunt for a place on a good grad scheme is over. I had sent out applications to several accountancy, banking and government schemes I thought my skills and background were relevant to, travelled to several assessment centres and interviews, and got accepted by the very last one to respond. I'd missed the phone call yesterday, only seeing it when I went to set my alarm at night. I knew there was a large chance it was the acceptance I'd been waiting for and couldn't sleep all night, pumped with adrenaline. It was. I don't know if I'm more relieved or happy.

Time for life after retail. And time to live permanently away from my parents.

My advice would be to just keep going. Try to worry less about the outcome and more about playing the percentages. I let myself get too despondent and took some rejections personally, which was damaging. And committing to moving long distance increases the odds of success considerably, especially if like me you're in an economically flat area.

Finally just got a new job offer this week after looking on and off since last year and after quite a few rejections.

So hang in there fellow job-seekers, and my advice if you get to interview stage is: research, research and research. I can't stress it enough. The amount of research I had done into the role and the organisation really impressed the interview panel at the two interviews. I honestly believe it was my research that gave me the edge over the other candidates. It will help you answer the questions: why do you want this job, what do you know about us and what would you do in situation x?

Good luck.

1) Did I handle the thank you situation correctly? I felt that going to the clerical person and having them forward an e-mail after already being contacted by a panel member would have been kind of disjointed.
2) I'm assuming I'm at the worst, a top 3 candidate? It'd be one thing if they asked for references as part of the application (After resume/CL, I had to write a custom writing sample related specifically to the job once I scheduled an interview), but to ask them from me the next day and then contact my references so quickly, it feels like they wouldn't spend the time doing that for a lot of candidates.

The waiting game sucks and I currently have a job so it's not the end of the world if I don't get it but it would be such a nice pay bump and more structured job that it really would be a 'career' type situation and I could finally feel relaxed and ready to work happily for the next 30 years. Thanks for any insight.

I think you handled the situation just fine. When I interviewed for one of my previous jobs, I didn't have contact info either and didn't send a thank you note - I still got the job. Them asking for references is a really good sign. I actually just started a state job this week and it took a week (from the day I interviewed) for the offer to come through and that was apparently REALLY fast. State jobs can take a while - sometimes months depending on the state, I think.

gamz

Finally just got a new job offer this week after looking on and off since last year and after quite a few rejections.

So hang in there fellow job-seekers, and my advice if you get to interview stage is: research, research and research. I can't stress it enough. The amount of research I had done into the role and the organisation really impressed the interview panel at the two interviews. I honestly believe it was my research that gave me the edge over the other candidates. It will help you answer the questions: why do you want this job, what do you know about us and what would you do in situation x?

Good luck.

Yes, this. It's been a while since I had to interview for a job and I lost the first two interviews because of this. Nailed the 3rd one and was hired on the spot. Of course it's only a 6 week gig, but you have to be prepared. The first two rejections were the first times I ever got rejected. It was a eye opener.

Last day of current job.

Nothing lined up yet after weeks of applying elsewhere.

WEEEEE!

Plenty of phone interviews though. Havent had so many phone interviews in my life. I thought I was pretty bad the first one but I got better at them. Its like a job interview sneak attack. Any time of the day I could get a call from one of a dozen jobs and they will start asking me questions. Got to be on my A game at a moments notice

Bladenic

Why is it still acceptable for entry level jobs to list years of experience and knowing multiple programs by heart as qualifications? This should be illegal.

Edit: then there's the fact that damn near every job I can find that fits my education says "don't waste our time if you ain't living in the area." Like how do people relocate when nobody seems to be interested if you're not from less than 20 miles away?

Why is it still acceptable for entry level jobs to list years of experience and knowing multiple programs by heart as qualifications? This should be illegal.

Edit: then there's the fact that damn near every job I can find that fits my education says "don't waste our time if you ain't living in the area." Like how do people relocate when nobody seems to be interested if you're not from less than 20 miles away?

A college degree don't mean shit when they value experience way more than your degree and how are you going to that get experience first off the gate?

It all feels like a scam.

JDHarbs

A college degree don't mean shit when they value experience way more than your degree and how are you going to that get experience first off the gate?

It all feels like a scam.
Internships and freelance are all the more important these days. It's the only way to get experience before graduating. The piece of paper that says we went to school simply won't get anyone anything anymore.

If I had known what the job market was really like back then then I wouldn't have taken summers off to recharge. Now I'm paying the price.

I love that shit. But my current thing is when the pay is minimum wage or so close to it, it might as well just be min wage.

So many entry level job postings here that basically boil down to.....

Hello we are looking for a office assistant / admin / whatever. Must have experience with MS office and a random accounting package and a college qualification. Min 2 years experience. Pay is minimum wage

Like fuck. The most supermarket chains here pay nearly a buck more then min wage here for their jobs. And you want 2 years experience and top. Fuuuck you.

I was just watching that episode of Moesha the other day where she got a job at Vibe and her dad was so harping on her for deciding not to go to school, but now after going myself, that seemed to be the right choice. If she hadn't fucked up that interview with Maya Angelou she would've been ahead of the game and wouldn't need a degree. Work there for a couple years and make a name for yourself I don't really see anyone turning her down just because she didn't have a degree.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Yeah, that's definitely the case for me. It's so stupid. Even if you ignore that for me, another factor comes in and slaps me down before I even bother to apply. I'm not even sure why I bother to look at these sorts of things because there's too many "welp, nobody will consider me" before I even begin.

Bladenic

It's so disheartening. Never mind that I'm almost 26 and haven't started my career (due to switching majors 3 years into school and having to take a year off), so I feel like that would work against me. And due to being poor, I never had an internship as I worked an almost full time job.

I really think college classes need to revamp and teach more actual job oriented stuff instead of concepts. I finished with a Marketing degree and I keep seeing programs listed as requirements that I've never heard of.

Slo

The good news is that there's a real, tangible movement in the tech industry around "showing me your portfolio." Its true that nobody wants to be the sucker that gives you your first job and gets burned, but there's a growing number of employers who are willing to look at your Github, your bitbucket, your personal website, or your blog as proof of your character and your experience. Some companies are just stuck in the stone age and aren't willing yet.

If nobody is giving you your first chance, self publish. It's the new way.

MC Safety

The good news is that there's a real, tangible movement in the tech industry around "showing me your portfolio." Its true that nobody wants to be the sucker that gives you your first job and gets burned, but there's a growing number of employers who are willing to look at your Github, your bitbucket, your personal website, or your blog as proof of your character and your experience. Some companies are just stuck in the stone age and aren't willing yet.

If nobody is giving you your first chance, self publish. It's the new way.

The best thing you can do is work at an internship that pays or earns you college credit. Volunteer work should be avoided at all costs as it really only speaks to your willingness to be exploited.

Self-publishing and personal projects are fine; I've used speculative scripts to get professional writing jobs. They don't give an employer a sense of how you'll handle a professional setting that requires stuff like a collaborative effort, revisions, personal interaction, etc.

Sadly that's pretty common. Many companies have got really bad about just sending a sorry we aren't hiring you email.

what happened to that other guy happened to me. i got a call on friday, which is a little over a month since I had the interview, telling me they chose a different candidate.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
What are your salary requirements?

That question can go fuck itself. I become incensed when I see it.

LOZLINK

It's so disheartening. Never mind that I'm almost 26 and haven't started my career (due to switching majors 3 years into school and having to take a year off), so I feel like that would work against me. And due to being poor, I never had an internship as I worked an almost full time job.

I really think college classes need to revamp and teach more actual job oriented stuff instead of concepts. I finished with a Marketing degree and I keep seeing programs listed as requirements that I've never heard of.
Are you a year from now? I'm pretty much in the same position except I know the processes and systems required. Having no relevant industry experience is making it so much harder. Marketing is such a "who you know" industry as a lot of people I've spoke to got the job as they knew something. Sort of infuriating.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Are you a year from now? I'm pretty much in the same position except I know the processes and systems required. Having no relevant industry experience is making it so much harder. Marketing is such a "who you know" industry as a lot of people I've spoke to got the job as they knew something. Sort of infuriating.

Helpful advice but probably not some you want. I graduated with a BA in degree in Marketing and faced the same thing, went back to get my mba in healthcare management. Marketing helps tremendously in this lane but I got shut out left and right from jobs I was applying to with just my marketing degree. Basically, more education to incorporate more things into your arsenal may be appropriate. Sensible diversification of your skills is key. I have marketing, healthcare management and now accounting in my back pocket. Tough to beat.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Eh, better than being stuck in a job that has clearly shown they have no intention of promoting you from the crap entry-level despite you trying for the past five years. At this point, I need to find a new place, but what place is gonna hire me with "lack of experience" despite willing to learn.
And pay me enough to survive in that meanwhile.

That's all well and good, but not everyone is getting into Tech. So...

LOZLINK

Helpful advice but probably not some you want. I graduated with a BA in degree in Marketing and faced the same thing, went back to get my mba in healthcare management. Marketing helps tremendously in this lane but I got shut out left and right from jobs I was applying to with just my marketing degree. Basically, more education to incorporate more things into your arsenal may be appropriate. Sensible diversification of your skills is key. I have marketing, healthcare management and now accounting in my back pocket. Tough to beat.
Yeah I definitely agree that having more tools at your disposal would make you much more appealing in the hiring process. I'm in my last semester so I haven't considered studying towards something else. I don't know if I can afford it as I have a 8 month old daughter and recently left a management position. The worst thing is being told you're over qualified for an entry level position. It's like I dont have industry experience to get into experienced roles, and I've had two hiring managers flat out tell me I'm over qualified for the role due to my management experience and being a business owner. Sort of in a pickle.

Bladenic

Everywhere I look though it seems other people I graduated with or that I know graduating this year already have dope sounding jobs. Like wtf???

Do you guys use LinkedIn? I've applied to a ton of jobs via LinkedIn but most of them were the EasyApply type, and I don't feel like that does enough to standout. Would it be better to find the relevant person and send a personal email with resume and other necessary materials?

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I have a job interview tomorrow at the community college I graduated from last year. I'm interviewing for a Network administrator position. I hope I do well. if get the job I'll be making over $30,000 a year, instead of the minimum wage job I'm at now.

gamz

Everywhere I look though it seems other people I graduated with or that I know graduating this year already have dope sounding jobs. Like wtf???

Do you guys use LinkedIn? I've applied to a ton of jobs via LinkedIn but most of them were the EasyApply type, and I don't feel like that does enough to standout. Would it be better to find the relevant person and send a personal email with resume and other necessary materials?

I use linkedin and indeed.

gamz

I have a job interview tomorrow at the community college I graduated from last year. I'm interviewing for a Network administrator position. I hope I do well. if get the job I'll be making over $30,000 a year, instead of the minimum wage job I'm at now.

That's all their paying for a network admin? Jesus.

Top Bottom