• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

sturmdogg

So I lost my chance at getting a job because I was hesitant in using time tracking software that takes screenshots of my pc during work hours. Did I blow it, or did I dodge a bullet?

when you bomb the interview completely

but still get the job

HMxgDOp.gif

How come you felt you bombed the interview?

Flux

Dodged a bullet. Fuck that shit.
Yeah seriously. I don't think a work environment like that would be good place for you. The elevated amount of stress and nitpicking is something that would wear out anyone in a few months.

And you know if they do that, they'd pull bull shut like tracking bathroom breaks (real thing a friend of mine deals with at a bank).

Meh3D

Here's hoping the reason this thread hasn't been updated is that you're all working at your new jobs!

Unfortunately, I was not selected for a particular job I was called in to interview. Thought it was looking good. They did not think I could contribute but they liked my personality.

Ouch.

Last edited:

lil puff

Here's hoping the reason this thread hasn't been updated is that you're all working at your new jobs!

Unfortunately, I was not selected for a particular job I was called in to interview. Thought it was looking good. They did not think I could contribute but they liked my personality.

Ouch.
Ouch for sure. I am sorry to hear that. Did they actually say that to you, it seems like an awful thing to say to someone looking for work? Keep your head up and don't let a comment like that lower your confidence.

Meh3D

Ouch for sure. I am sorry to hear that. Did they actually say that to you, it seems like an awful thing to say to someone looking for work? Keep your head up and don't let a comment like that lower your confidence.

It was worded differently. "We wanted to offer you something we'd be optimistic you'd contribute." Had a phone interview, technical screening, and lunch at the company with a whole day of back to back of technical white board interviews. With how all those interviews went, I was surprised. At this point I'm just taking it as feedback.

It's month 5 for me and it sucks. The experience with this last company was at least a good one.

Last edited:

lil puff

It was worded differently. "We wanted to offer you something we'd be optimistic you'd contribute." Had a phone interview, technical screening, and lunch at the company with a whole day of back to back of technical white board interviews. With how all those interviews went, I was surprised. At this point I'm just taking it as feedback.

It's month 5 for me and it sucks. The experience with this last company was at least a good one.
I guess that sounds a bit better.

Yeah I have had some strange interviews, where the feedback had taken me aback before, and I agree it is a chance to take it constructively. At one point I thought my portfolio was awesome (this is after working in the industry for 10 years already) but 2 interviews I had really took me by surprise, and it forced me to go back and not only redo it, but I make it into a hardback pro bound book instead of the flat case. It shocked my next interviewer and got me the job.

At that time I was on 2.5 years of not finding a real job. I actually ended up signing up for a security guard job. Went home depressed. The next day I got 2 phone calls for prospective jobs, and one of them is where I am at now 6 years later.

MC Safety

Today in job hunting:

Come work for us! We want a writer with three years' professional experience!

Post-rejection letter: Oops! We meant we want a JUNIOR writer with three years' professional experience!

The company amended the job posting to add junior in the title, but certainly didn't change the three years' professional experience bit. So now every applicant with the requisite three years' experience is overqualified.

Well this is my first time actually looking for a job on "my own" since High School. I started Oil & Gas straight out of High School as a summer student for my mom's company. The Manager liked my work so much he hired me full time. Since then I either was brought to other companies by someone I know or acquired by acquisition by another company. Currently looking for a new job because the climate has turned toxic where I am now. So I have been sending my resume out and going on indeed and such. I can say I have gotten hits. Linkedin has been really helpfull I have to say. The headhunters have been putting in work and you can find something fairly quickly through them. It just may not be exactly what you want.

Top Bottom