• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

Type up a thoughtful resignation letter, express your concerns about your current project but make it clear that you have been given a better opportunity that is ultimately more beneficial to you right now than what your current position is offering you. They might come back and try to up your pay to keep you and then the ball will be in your court. You could try negotiating your current salary beforehand because a 20k jump and relocation allowance seems like they're trying to accommodate for a higher COL so take that into account.

Well the current job is in NJ and the new job is in Virginia so the COL isn't bad down there, compared to NJ.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For a two week notice, do people do it in person or do they just type out something? Where does that get sent?

I have always done it in person to any manager whose workin. I bring a simple letter of resignation in case they ask for it.

This is just for restaurant type jobs tho. For a career it might be more formal.

Necrovex

For a two week notice, do people do it in person or do they just type out something? Where does that get sent?

I called my manager and told her I was leaving in two weeks. She asked I brought in a written or typed letter stating what I told her who I gave said letter to HR.

GAF, I have a group interview on Wednesday but I've never had anything like that before so I'm really nervous about it. The job sounds great and it's paying a good wage so I'm excited about that. Anyone here have tips I should follow. Since they told me Thursday, my stomach has been in knots just over thinking it.

MC Safety

GAF, I have a group interview on Wednesday but I've never had anything like that before so I'm really nervous about it. The job sounds great and it's paying a good wage so I'm excited about that. Anyone here have tips I should follow. Since they told me Thursday, my stomach has been in knots just over thinking it.

Are you being interviewed by a group? Or interviewed with a group of candidates?

If you're being interviewed simultaneously with other candidates, be prepared to compete to be heard. I'd offer advice, but it's really the worst way to conduct an interview and almost no way to be fairly considered.

Are you being interviewed by a group? Or interviewed with a group of candidates?

If you're being interviewed simultaneously with other candidates, be prepared to compete to be heard. I'd offer advice, but it's really the worst way to conduct an interview and almost no way to be fairly considered.
With other candidates.
I wish it just a note normal interview, I'm pretty confident when it comes to those. :(

Blues1990

I submitted a storyboard test for Floyd County Productions, so I'm hoping to get a job boarding for a future episode of Archer.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

put in 3 weeks notice this week, feels great. not even really looking but asked for a resume and a few meetings later and there you go, no application, no references beyond my contact. better benefits, better upside financially and a new set of tools for the toolbox. Legal industry. good times, july is a good month it seems. now to burn off sick leave and memo active cases, closing some out and not worrying about a massive trial set for mid-august. good times indeed for me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
A job recruiter contacted me last month (June 2nd) about a job interview for the end of July/beginning of August. He told me he would contact me either the end of June or in July once he has more information about the interview dates.

So my question is, do I reach out to him or wait for him to contact me?

My initial gut feeling is to wait. But I also don't want him/them to think I'm not interested since we haven't had any contact since that June 2nd talk.

Thanks.

Oh and if it matters, this is for a big company.

Blues1990

A job recruiter contacted me last month (June 2nd) about a job interview for the end of July/beginning of August. He told me he would contact me either the end of June or in July once he has more information about the interview dates.

So my question is, do I reach out to him or wait for him to contact me?

My initial gut feeling is to wait. But I also don't want him/them to think I'm not interested since we haven't had any contact since that June 2nd talk.

Thanks.

Definitely wait, as the last thing you want is to annoy them. Especially when they said they will contact you ASAP.

My philosophy is to wait two months (minimum) before contacting an employer again.

Sorithin

So I had a great in-person interview with 6 people about 10 days ago. Of the 87 applicants, only 3 got an in-person interview, so I was lucky there. They told me I would hear back either way by this past Friday, but Friday came and went and I heard nothing. My family says to not think too much into it as it was only a 3-day work week (because of the 4th of July) but I'm nervous they offered it to someone else and are awaiting a response before sending me a "you didn't get it" email. Anyone have experience with getting a job offer after they say they'll make a decision? Should I not be worried? The interview was great and I sent thank you notes and everything, I really thought I had a good chance!

SOLDIER

Any opinions on the AppleCare At Home Advisor job? I'm thinking of applying to it on the grounds that I would really like a work-at-home job, and that it could potentially lead to a higher-paying Cloud Consultant position (which can also be worked at home).

Is it particularly grueling with the constant flood of calls or scheduling? Does Apple require a high quota of customer satisfaction (I had an Amazon work at home job that I couldn't keep past the seasonal period, as their required metrics were absurdly high)? Is there a better work-at-home position I should consider instead?

Wubbles

Neo Member

For all of my jobs (retail & career) I've always had a physical (typed, printed) & signed copy of my resignation letter that I would hand to my manager in person while giving them my 2 weeks notice.

Any opinions on the AppleCare At Home Advisor job? I'm thinking of applying to it on the grounds that I would really like a work-at-home job, and that it could potentially lead to a higher-paying Cloud Consultant position (which can also be worked at home).

Is it particularly grueling with the constant flood of calls or scheduling? Does Apple require a high quota of customer satisfaction (I had an Amazon work at home job that I couldn't keep past the seasonal period, as their required metrics were absurdly high)? Is there a better work-at-home position I should consider instead?

My girlfriend is starting a work from home job for Amazon (same one you did). I think she starts in a week or two and it's seasonal. Any form of advice I can pass onto her? She's tried applying to the Applecare At Home job multiple times but never got an email or call back. Hopefully you'll have better luck heh.

SOLDIER

For all of my jobs (retail & career) I've always had a physical (typed, printed) & signed copy of my resignation letter that I would hand to my manager in person while giving them my 2 weeks notice.

My girlfriend is starting a work from home job for Amazon (same one you did). I think she starts in a week or two and it's seasonal. Any form of advice I can pass onto her? She's tried applying to the Applecare At Home job multiple times but never got an email or call back. Hopefully you'll have better luck heh.

Well for one thing, be prepared to constantly cancel Amazon Prime trials that people mistakingly opted in, as well as explain what Amazon Prime is and why it's not a scam.

Beyond that, do your best to constantly remind people to fill out the survey feedback, as the positive metrics will be the ultimate decider on whether they keep you on the job. I unfortunately fell short of the quota...perhaps your friend will have better CS experience then me, but a lot of calls felt like luck of the draw, with some crazies making joutlandish demands and being unsatisfied no matter how good a job you did. Had this one piece of shit make a stink because his order arrived "one hour late" and demanded that his entire order be made free, and that he would also receive free credit for a FUTURE order as well.

He proceded to dump on me after refusing his demand, saying that I should "work as a garbage man, because garbage is all I was".

I don't know if Apple customers are just as toxic, but if Apple's satisfaction quota is more forgiving than Amazon's, I think I can tolerate it.

WetWaffle

I'm freaking out, someone help me. I'm going to my first interview(finally) at UPS as a package handler , I'm honestly not sure what to expect, the interview questions range so wildly I don't think I can go with this smoothly, anyone got any advice?

I'm freaking out, someone help me. I'm going to my first interview(finally) at UPS as a package handler , I'm honestly not sure what to expect, the interview questions range so wildly I don't think I can go with this smoothly, anyone got any advice?

Just be honest and yourself.

Also, I work off-site. My project manager and I have interacted maybe twice in a year. We don't work in the same building/vicinity. Would it be inappropriate to email my resignation letter?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Also, I work off-site. My project manager and I have interacted maybe twice in a year. We don't work in the same building/vicinity. Would it be inappropriate to email my resignation letter?

No, what would ever be wrong with emailing your resignation? You want it in writing and recorded anyway.

Feeling completely demoralized in searching so far this month :/

That was me last week. I have gotten alot of calls/emails this week though so I feel somewhat better. Not sure it will turn into anything but it's something.

Roubjon

I finally got a response to a Software Engineer Internship at a decent place and they sent me an assessment. I thought I did a great job and it gave me confidence that I've finally grasped the core concepts of object oriented design and how it all fits together, and all that studying I've done after failing all my interviews finally paid off.

Guess not. I hate my comp sci degree.

Looked into selling brushes on Amazon. Was like 1400 to buy 400 brushes. Hot damn. I guess I have to stick with looking for a job. I hate having to rely on someone else for my income.

Got offered a job, thought that was great. Had gotten past a few rounds of interviews, my references had been checked and deemed positive. Cancelled my unemployment benefit. Next thing I know HR wants to see my highest 3rd level qualification which I don't have. Had brought in my transcript showing that I had passed all of my modules for the 4 years but just had never completed my final year project/thesis a few years ago. Now they are hesitant to keep going with the process of hiring me and it suuuuucks.

After working at my current job for 12 months they've finally taken me off of probation and I'm a proper employee. Probation was only supposed to be 6 but my main manager hasn't liked me since I called him out (tactfully) on some stuff he was ranting about.
Whilst I know I'm nowhere near perfect I also know I'm very good at my job. If they'd tried to extend my probation again I was fully ready to just walk out and never go back.
Thankfully it didn't come to that and I can get back to work without feeling there's an axe above my head.
It took me 6 months to land this job (and that's with over 10 years prior experience), so I wasn't looking forward to being on the market again... :)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Got offered a job, thought that was great. Had gotten past a few rounds of interviews, my references had been checked and deemed positive. Cancelled my unemployment benefit. Next thing I know HR wants to see my highest 3rd level qualification which I don't have. Had brought in my transcript showing that I had passed all of my modules for the 4 years but just had never completed my final year project/thesis a few years ago. Now they are hesitant to keep going with the process of hiring me and it suuuuucks.

That sucks completely. I was in the same boat a couple of months ago. In my case they offered me the job and then eliminated it before my start date. Keep your head up and hopefully they hiring you in the end.

Just finished a recorded interview with 5 questions and no interviewer. Just talking into a webcam by myself like a dingus. It was much more stressful than an in-person interview and I think I messed up a few questions. I keep going over better answers in my head. How do I keep from going crazy?

Just finished a recorded interview with 5 questions and no interviewer. Just talking into a webcam by myself like a dingus. It was much more stressful than an in-person interview and I think I messed up a few questions. I keep going over better answers in my head. How do I keep from going crazy?

it's recorded already and no matter what, you can't change what you recorded. You did what you could and you shouldn't think any more of it. If they contact you for a follow up-great. If they don't-then you shouldn't dwell on it. You should be putting in job applications elsewhere in the mean time.

Move onto the next job application.

Just called another brush company and it was only $150 for 400 brushes. Damn, that was a difference. The brushes were smaller, but still that's a big ass gap. Still don't have enough for those though. I'll keep looking and when I get some more money I think I'm going to go in on this.

Hey guys, what do you think about this risk? I am currently working at retail and looking into a design internship that is unpaid. It will be a full time position and potential to stay in a paid position after 3-4 months. Do you think it's worth the risk to leave the retail making a small amount of money to get this unpaid position for a 50/50 chance of getting a full time paid later on?

Hey guys, what do you think about this risk? I am currently working at retail and looking into a design internship that is unpaid. It will be a full time position and potential to stay in a paid position after 3-4 months. Do you think it's worth the risk to leave the retail making a small amount of money to get this unpaid position for a 50/50 chance of getting a full time paid later on?

I mean, like you said, it's a big risk. The first red flag for me is that it's unpaid. Although it's good experience, and pads your resume, unpaid internships feel so sleezy to me. I just immediately assume they're trying to get free labor to wrap up a project. And then on top of that, it's design, which is already a cutthroat and uber-saturated market.

Do you have savings to last through the assignment, and then potentially more if it doesn't work out? I would also continue to apply for jobs during the internship, and then if you find something better, jump ship immediately.

How you gonna eat working full-time for free?

Jesus, 3-4 months and unpaid too. I don't think you should, man. Unless you live with someone that can support you.

dukeoflegs

Wasted two hours of my day waiting on a phone interview yesterday.
I emailed the recruiter today asking why I didn't receive a phone call, she replied that they were looking for someone that developed for a specific software not someone that worked with this software. I just looked over the job description and it specifically says has experience working with software. She couldn't even reply back to inform me of this.

I feel like anytime I deal with a recruiter I am the one doing all the work on getting the job and they do little to help.

it's recorded already and no matter what, you can't change what you recorded. You did what you could and you shouldn't think any more of it. If they contact you for a follow up-great. If they don't-then you shouldn't dwell on it. You should be putting in job applications elsewhere in the mean time.

Thanks. They called me today and set up another interview on Monday. Problem is, they told me this via voicemail. I never even heard the phone ring. There was no location given, only a date and time. I tried calling back and got no reply so I left a voice message. Am I to assume this is a phone interview and he'll call me?

I mean, like you said, it's a big risk. The first red flag for me is that it's unpaid. Although it's good experience, and pads your resume, unpaid internships feel so sleezy to me. I just immediately assume they're trying to get free labor to wrap up a project. And then on top of that, it's design, which is already a cutthroat and uber-saturated market.

Do you have savings to last through the assignment, and then potentially more if it doesn't work out? I would also continue to apply for jobs during the internship, and then if you find something better, jump ship immediately.

Jesus, 3-4 months and unpaid too. I don't think you should, man. Unless you live with someone that can support you.

I decided not to go with it and just wait.

I am so sick and tired man. I wish I had someone to talk to, but my own family doesn't give a shit. Every time I let out my feelings to my mother she is like stop playing the pity party and my brother is do you do anything other than complain? It's like empathy is a foreign concept to them.

I take people's advice and all that ended up happening is white people calling the cops on me. I'm tired of fucking jobs and have to rely on them. Tired of having no money in my pocket at all and being grown and still have to rely on my mom like a child still. Tired of having no social life at all. Tired of having to walk everywhere or ride a bike and shit. Tired of working at fuckass UPS and Fedex for like $80 a week and getting injured. I don't want to go back there. It will be my 5th time and I feel like I'll be stuck there if I do. Hated I had to turn down a job because I felt like I had too since my Mom said it probably won't work out since you just got fired from the last one that was exactly the same thing. Hate that I can't get a license because I need insurance and I can't get insurance if I don't have money to pay for it.

Fucking met a lot of wealthy black people in this past year, but none are about to help me out buy giving me a job or anything else and they're advice got me followed by the police and almost in cuffs.

I am so sick and tired man. I wish I had someone to talk to, but my own family doesn't give a shit. Every time I let out my feelings to my mother she is like stop playing the pity party and my brother is do you do anything other than complain? It's like empathy is a foreign concept to them.

I take people's advice and all that ended up happening is white people calling the cops on me. I'm tired of fucking jobs and have to rely on them. Tired of having no money in my pocket at all and being grown and still have to rely on my mom like a child still. Tired of having no social life at all. Tired of having to walk everywhere or ride a bike and shit. Tired of working at fuckass UPS and Fedex for like $80 a week and getting injured. I don't want to go back there. It will be my 5th time and I feel like I'll be stuck there if I do. Hated I had to turn down a job because I felt like I had too since my Mom said it probably won't work out since you just got fired from the last one that was exactly the same thing. Hate that I can't get a license because I need insurance and I can't get insurance if I don't have money to pay for it.

Fucking met a lot of wealthy black people in this past year, but none are about to help me out buy giving me a job or anything else and they're advice got me followed by the police and almost in cuffs.
Just go back to UPS for a while and do the shitwork.

Get a basic retail job for now part time while looking for a "real" job. Part time will get you some income at least and won't be as much days so it won't get you tired of it. At the same time look for another better job but try internships to build experience. Try to go to meetups related to what your interest is. It is what I am doing currently and at least keeps your sanity ok.

When I send an email to a guy who owns a web dev company and in addition to everything you would normally write in an email like that mention that I'm learning NodeJS, is it wise to include that I'm learning it for another company in town to make me more attractive or is that a bad plan?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
When I send an email to a guy who owns a web dev company and in addition to everything you would normally write in an email like that mention that I'm learning NodeJS, is it wise to include that I'm learning it for another company in town to make me more attractive or is that a bad plan?
Say you are learning it for yourself,dont mention another company.

diaspora

This is partially advice, but also for me to vent: don't put infographics and shit on a resume; I'm filing through some to help a VP to get someone on our team and they're driving us nuts. What the hell is a doughnut chart indicating 80% for X or Y skill supposed to even say? What does 80% CSS even mean? Same goes for progress bars and shit too. Also, I didn't realize until today that people actually put pics on their resume.

Welp, another not referred. This gets disappointing and it’s not like I’m even a bad candidate. On the bright side my studying is going well. I feel much more confident this time around. The test isn’t until the 2nd, so I still have a few weeks to keep studying. I should be ready this time around.

About to start my second set of classes at Uni. I've been using their career network alongside doing job searches on Linkedin. My GPA should updating by the end of this week so I'm excited for that.

I was supposed to get a call last week for an interview early this week. I'm starting to get anxious and now thinking they probably forgot about me. I would call but they have no phone number I can call. Shit sucks. I wanna just leave this job for this clearly better job that I actually like the sound of. I guess I'll let it go on until next week and forget about them completely.

I feel you, man. I'm in the same boat but I have a car. Just hang in there.

Top Bottom