• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Depends on the position/company etc. I'd personally go with a tie to be safe but that's me and I'm from a different generation than most on here

Yeah, I'm stopping by a department store to buy a tie. Figured it would be useful for the future as well.

gazele

Banned
Welp, after 4 months of painful nothing and rejection I got an offer for a paid internship position!

Not the high salary full time job I was hoping for but I'm just happy to be able to work and hopefully have it lead to better things down the road

For everyone in this thread still suffering I 100% know how you've felt and the only thing is to not give up and try to stay positive. I definitely felt down a lot and it's all about keeping moving.

Welp, after 4 months of painful nothing and rejection I got an offer for a paid internship position!

Not the high salary full time job I was hoping for but I'm just happy to be able to work and hopefully have it lead to better things down the road

For everyone in this thread still suffering I 100% know how you've felt and the only thing is to not give up and try to stay positive. I definitely felt down a lot and it's all about keeping moving.

I accepted a position for a low wage at a shitty place and was able to leverage the experience I learned while there into a much better job. It'll suck in short term but it'll work out in the long run.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I had an interview today that was setup through a recruiter. He told me that they will let me know early next week. What is the rule of thumb of sending a thank you message to the recruiter? Should I send one? If so, do I wait to hear back or do I shoot a message Monday?

Thanks!

FooTemps

I had an interview today that was setup through a recruiter. He told me that they will let me know early next week. What is the rule of thumb of sending a thank you message to the recruiter? Should I send one? If so, do I wait to hear back or do I shoot a message Monday?

Thanks!

Don't send one until you have a good feeling about whether or not you got the job. A "thanks for all the help and awesome job" is nice, but sometimes you have to rephrase to "thanks for all the help and I look forward to keep trying with you". I definitely put a couple recruiters through a lot on my first job search but I only brought their office a thank you after I was safely employed.

A thank you is different from a follow up, make sure you follow that distinction.

That feeling when you're ready to ace the phone interview, but then it gets pushed back because reasons. :(

Congrats man! If they have any, make the most of your internship by attending any networking or social events!

8bit

Knows the Score
Has anyone have any experience with LinkedIn premium? Is it worth the money?

IMO it's not, but if you want to try create a new account with a different email address and then sign up for a freebie. It's outclassed in Europe by experteer and I would assume in CA that workopolis has something better.

So, after around 5 months of job searching I got a job offer. My first one out of college. It's 32 hours, for a year to start with, but the pay is good, the job is something I want to do and the location is perfect. I've got heavy imposter syndrome though.

I also have an interview for an insurance traineeship coming up. It's the first round and they want to see if it's a match. I'm still going to see if they invite me for the second round. If I do I'll politely cancel and tell them I've accepted another offer. I do want to keep my relationship with them warm though if I do get invited to the second round.

I'm officially applying to jobs again. Spent 8 months of this year waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along, and it was a disgusting waste of time. I gotta get out of this job I'm in.

Bluemongoose

Neo Member
So, I don't post here much... but after 5 months, 110 applications (including LinkedIn quick apply) 11 phone interviews, 4 in person interviews I finally nailed my HR manager job in a great location, great pay. All I have to say is keep at it. The denials suck, that lack of communication sucks, but you will eventually get what you want if you keep at it.

Good to hear positive stories like this. I'm still applying after 2 years of having finished school and at the same job I'm growing to hate.

LNBL

It's done! Signed my contract today and i'll be starting my traineeship as Digital Marketeer in October. I'll be working at 2 companies for 9 months each, to stimulate the working experience and follow master classes and courses every friday at the marketing firm that is hiring me.

After many rejections, of which some were expected and others unexpected, I finally found something that I'm so excited about! Less than a month ago i got rejected for a shitty internship that paid €400 euros a month, but i thought fuck i need to get the experience somehow, right? One month later i'm signing with a company that increase my salary with that amount every 6 months. They declined me with the reason being that i'm overqualified for the internship because I got 2 certificates in my free time.. While another company rejected me for only getting 2 certificates. So shit can really mess with your mind and make you doubt yourself. But here I am, 1 month after being rejected by a crappy company. I got not 1, but 2 offers from different companies.

So keep it up guys! At some point you will actually see that you are worth that awesome job, even though some companies might not see it at the time. And with every interview that you have, you actually become better at them. You will be able to anticipate any question that they fire at you and make yourself more confident.

Jezan

Im not even sure if this is the place to post this, but I'm trying to cope. Today my boss told me that this Thursday is my last day, since the company is going through hard times and the projects are failing, that he tried to move me to another position but it was not possible. It took me like 8 month to get a job last time and now again I'm unemployed....fuck

I feel really down now, mostly because once again I have to hunt down and ( if ever) get used to a new job....like how do I get (or when) financial security? Like time keeps running and I have not solved my life in an economic way, that train of thought is so depressive.

Hang in there, right? :(

Flux

Im not even sure if this is the place to post this, but I'm trying to cope. Today my boss told me that this Thursday is my last day, since the company is going through hard times and the projects are failing, that he tried to move me to another position but it was not possible. It took me like 8 month to get a job last time and now again I'm unemployed....fuck

I feel really down now, mostly because once again I have to hunt down and ( if ever) get used to a new job....like how do I get (or when) financial security? Like time keeps running and I have not solved my life in an economic way, that train of thought is so depressive.

Hang in there, right? :(
If it's any consolation, it appears that losing your job was beyond your control. I mean, something like that could happen at any moment. My dad was let go from his job nearing 40 years with the company due to budget constraints.

I've been struggling myself, I find that I need to spend a good amount of time de-stressing from the situation before hopping on the application train again.

ryan299

So applied for a job on Thursday, got a email to set up a phone interview on Friday, confirmed it on Saturday setting it up for today, waited all day and got no call. Never had that happen to me. Emailed the guy asking if the call was still on and told him we could reschedule

That was a few hours ago and haven't received a response.

Anybody have that happen to them? Any advice?

mhayes86

So applied for a job on Thursday, got a email to set up a phone interview on Friday, confirmed it on Saturday setting it up for today, waited all day and got no call. Never had that happen to me. Emailed the guy asking if the call was still on and told him we could reschedule

That was a few hours ago and haven't received a response.

Anybody have that happen to them? Any advice?

People get busy and forget. It sucks when you're in your position, but your email to them was a good call. It shows that you're very interested. They may get back to you in the morning and apologize and work with you to reschedule.

Jezan

If it's any consolation, it appears that losing your job was beyond your control. I mean, something like that could happen at any moment. My dad was let go from his job nearing 40 years with the company due to budget constraints.

I've been struggling myself, I find that I need to spend a good amount of time de-stressing from the situation before hopping on the application train again.
Thanks, I feel a little bit better. i mean , not sad but anxious of what I will have to do now and if I will find a job I like.

These days I will try to relax and have fun (if the anxiety lets me :p), my parents understood my pain and situation and they keep telling me I shouldn't be hard on myself, so for now it takes the pressure off my shoulders.

Thank you :)

scitek

I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to leave my job in St. Louis for one I might not like as much in San Diego. It would pay around the same, the hours would suck, and living costs would be higher, but the weather and the beaches... fuck. BTW, I'm not too fond of St. Louis, but I like the people I work with, and leaving would fuck them over, so I'm torn.

BstnRich

I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to leave my job in St. Louis for one I might not like as much in San Diego. It would pay around the same, the hours would suck, and living costs would be higher, but the weather and the beaches... fuck. BTW, I'm not too fond of St. Louis, but I like the people I work with, and leaving would fuck them over, so I'm torn.

Just consider what it is you want for yourself. Try to sift through the emotional attachments (easier said than done).

From where I'm standing - it seems as though you have a happy life in St. Louis, so maybe try taking a vacation to SD first?

scitek

Just consider what it is you want for yourself. Try to sift through the emotional attachments (easier said than done).

From where I'm standing - it seems as though you have a happy life in St. Louis, so maybe try taking a vacation to SD first?

A little backstory, I vacationed in SD last December -- even then it was mid-70s and people were surfing. I thought it was amazing, and it sort of became a goal of mine to eventually live there... someday. Thing is, right after leaving SD, I flew to STL to interview for the job I have now. I work in TV, and openings in SD are rare in my field (marketing, specifically), so when I saw there was an opening at one of the stations there, I applied. I've not been offered anything as of yet, but if it happens, I'll feel like an asshole for being such a short-timer.

Also, I'd have to sign a 2-year contract in SD, which doesn't seem like a long time, but if I end up not liking the job, it'll seem like an eternity.

Rare Pepe

Neo Member
Might not be applicable since I am from Russia and it might be different here.

But don't give up. After University it took me 3 months to find a job. Was shitty company, pay was shit, conditions were shit, was payed under the table. But I needed anything, experience and something to put on my CV even more than money. Hell, my pay was lower than unemployment check in most 1st world countries. And that was a white collar job.

Can't stress enough, that you need to work your ass off even at a shitty job, not only you get experience, but at very least recommendation from your boss.

Worked in a horrible place for 7 months, applied to few jobs, got one in not so shitty big oil company, still Russian. Worked my ass there with better conditions, but still not so great pay, got more recommendations and network connections. After 11 months got an offer for very good position, excellent benefits and insane salary by Russian standards in one of the Big4 - at PwC.

Now 2 years later. I am keeping my LinkedIn up to date and I get weekly offers from headhunters, every time I bring up my market value my current employer has matched it and even offered more than the offers elsewhere.

Again, might be different for someone else because of education and country, but I was almost hopeless with my math degree, now I am working for one of the best employers in the world, finished my ACCA and getting my Master's in Finance.

After months and months of searching, i got selected for an onsite interview for a dream gig in UK. But the problem was I am not from UK and it takes around 20 business days to get an entry visa to UK. The company's HR team just wouldn't follow up with me(wanted to explain to them my situation and ask for a re-schedule or have a skype instead), despite numerous calls and voice messages.

Recently almost fell for fake job opportunities, after the job poster asked me to pay for the interview. It's soul crushing and all we can do is pray to have a strong mind to get through tough times.

Applied for an IT Support job at my school.
Interview on Friday! I feel confident about it right now, but as always, I'll probably start to freeze up and psych myself out the moment I step foot into the building. Ugh. I'd really love to land this position, I think it'd be a great way to earn some extra cash while finishing off my final year.

Lenz44

Banned
I got flown out for an interview, and leaving home shortly. 24 hour stint. I hope I land it, job searching is slowly killing me. Really stand up move on their part flying me out- it's a first for me.

dcelw540

Just got a new job! It's an educational assistance which pays 18 at first then 23 when I get done probation and then 25 if i get full time. It's a good start I want to get into becoming a teacher and this is a good stepping stone for me at being 20 years of age. :)

ryan299

People get busy and forget. It sucks when you're in your position, but your email to them was a good call. It shows that you're very interested. They may get back to you in the morning and apologize and work with you to reschedule.

They called me today and scheduled an in person interview. Never mentioned not calling yesterday. Has me thinking it was a test to see if i'd email them asking what was up. Just odd.

Ixian

Don't let comfort hold you back if you're really interested in moving to San Diego (unless you have a family, since that obviously makes things more difficult)! I actually moved to SD from Seattle back in 2013, less because I wanted to move to SD specifically and more because I wanted to start a new chapter in my life after spending nine years (and my entire adult life up until that point) in Seattle. Leaving a comfortable job and all of my friends was difficult, but I have zero regrets and it was a valuable growth opportunity for me, both professionally and as a person. Unless my girlfriend (who grew up in SD) decides she wants to move elsewhere, I plan on staying here for the rest of my life. Well, until it comes time to retire in Hawaii anyway. :)

I've met quite a few people who up and left their old lives to move to SD after visiting once, so your story isn't an uncommon one. Just make sure you can handle the financial aspect of it since SD is going to be a lot more expensive (and it's only going up).

I´m taking some tests as part of the selection to work in a public entity (spain). All I know is two parts , a intelligence one and an aptitude one.

I don´t know if any of you have been part of this kind of process in a selection and can give me some tips, I´m nervous because the job is really good and there is going to be a lot of people trying.

frontovik

Banned
Finished a panel interview for a Library job I've been wanting to pursue for a long time. They told me they are interviewing other candidates, but is it a good sign that they asked for references?

BizzyBum

What's everyone's experience with job recruiting websites? Which ones are the best to use, seems there are so many out there now and lots of time I'm finding senior level managements positions everywhere and very little entry level stuff.

I feel like this is a waste of time if I don't know anyone at said job to give me a boost.

Badosh

Well, something good might be happening.

I applied for a job where my friend works Monday (he gave me a recommendation) and within 24 hours I did a phone interview with HR (she was leaving for the Holiday weekend, but actually performed the phone interview at her house while she was packing), that went well, she asked if I could meet with the hiring manager on Friday, did that, that seemingly went well. Now, she just emailed to schedule another "final" interview to meet with a few more team members.

Hopefully this ends with a job! This would be my first full-time job after working a handful of part-time jobs through my college career.

entremet

Finished a panel interview for a Library job I've been wanting to pursue for a long time. They told me they are interviewing other candidates, but is it a good sign that they asked for references?

Possibly. Every place is different. Recruitment is an art. Do you know the hiring process? How many interviews do you need to clear and so on?

Ogodei

Have an extra day off before i start the temp job grind tomorrow, had an interview this morning and a phone interview at noon. The morning interview said i might be at the end of the process, or maybe have one more person I have to talk to. Their process has been kind of pell-mell so far (called me out of the blue one Monday morning and i had an hour-long phonecall with people who would be my teammates that afternoon, then when i prodded them about next steps, they brought me in for a shorter in-person with somebody from a different team, and now seem like they're close to a decision?)

Meanwhile i'm waiting to hear back from a better temp job with a company that's getting slammed by the Harvey response effort. I should have heard back from them late last week, and i know i'm still in the running, it's just a matter of them getting their shit together and I should get my offer today or tomorrow?

So it's all anxiety all the time for today :-/

I have a telephonic interview on Friday. I’ve been to interviews, but never a phone one. I’m assuming it’ll pretty much be the same thing.

Speak in a slow consistent tone.
Do not interrupt and let the interviewer finish.
Have paper for notes.
Have my application on hand to refer to.

Anything else I’m missing?

entremet

I have a telephonic interview on Friday. I’ve been to interviews, but never a phone one. I’m assuming it’ll pretty much be the same thing.

Have paper for notes.

Have the job spec in hand and think in terms of solving problems. What can your candidacy bring to the company? Keep it conversational and relax beforehand.

Ogodei

Have paper for notes.

Pretty much it. A little more of letting the conversation breathe for a second after you finish an answer, because you can't tell if the person on the other side is gearing up to make a statement.

Kelsdesu

Applied for an IT Analyst/Programmer(whatever that means) position for a Health care company and during the questionaire section of the application it literally asks what Privelage and America meant to me. This was right after I filled out the EEO form. Being a black man trying to get a foot in the door I was a little taken aback. Needless to say I wrote what I really felt.

Why would anybody ask that shit?

Have the job spec in hand and think in terms of solving problems. What can your candidacy bring to the company? Keep it conversational and relax beforehand.

Pretty much it. A little more of letting the conversation breathe for a second after you finish an answer, because you can't tell if the person on the other side is gearing up to make a statement.

Alright cool. I'll keep this stuff in mind for Friday.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I think this is where I struggled with my first phone interview. There would be a pause and I would freak out as if my answer wasn't long enough. This would lead to me rambling on.

frontovik

Banned
Possibly. Every place is different. Recruitment is an art. Do you know the hiring process? How many interviews do you need to clear and so on?

It's my understanding that there is only one interview for this position. If successful .. then it's a criminal record check and contacting references before training begins.

Applied for a job a week ago & they said they'd contact me soon.

Haven't had any correspondence since, should I ask for an update from them? (after 1 week)

Applied for an IT Analyst/Programmer(whatever that means) position for a Health care company and during the questionaire section of the application it literally asks what Privelage and America meant to me. This was right after I filled out the EEO form. Being a black man trying to get a foot in the door I was a little taken aback. Needless to say I wrote what I really felt.

That's fucked up

Barzul

Interviewed for an IT Audit job even though my career hasn't strictly been on that path but I am close to done with an online Masters in Cyber Security with focus on Information Assurance. I was contacted through a recruiting firm. Got through the phone screen with the hiring manager, in person interview which was around 4-5 hours and intense, with multiple interviewers including the head of the entire Audit department.

The hiring manager said she would only be interviewing the top candidates in person which she said would be around 2-3 people, and I just heard back from the recruiting firm that one of the candidates was rejected and I am still in the running. Kinda excited because this would be huge jump for me and set me on career track I've wanted to move into.

Mailbox

idk, that is a very weird question.

The optimist in me thinks that it may be a way to filter out white supremacists (ie: if someone thinks privilege doesn't exist, or that america is being... whatever the hell they think america is being nowadays, then they don't get considered), but the realist in me feels like this might be a marketing strategy to see where the company should focus its hiring message on.

The pessimist in me thinks HR and whoever didn't think when making this.

I don't think its meant to be like a white supremacist beacon or something though.

Ogodei

Need a bit of advice. I'm really close with the job that i interviewed for on Tuesday. They said they'd get back "in a few days," so do you all think it would be appropriate to send a polite poke e-mail to my contact at the job on Friday?

I already sent a thank-you email which i attached a relevant writing sample to (demonstrate my knowledge of their cause, which is environmentalism). So hopefully a nudge on Friday wouldn't be too forward?

I don't think i could bear to get through the weekend on the uncertainty, frankly :-/.

Top Bottom