• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I've been playing ROAD RIOT

1n2PN5quT4TYTxhmwMOeURqsh6o-6aA8dr_fMIRTOUEPUQ3egBtmZjSPK55xUEVp8lk=h900-rw

VhUlAnCTZWsy8Ve0pLpKD1LvFTTI0zVfqGqUjPCO7YvygNldLvvFuz7sunzG-_RA7Io=h900-rw

Spy Hunter on crack

Fatalah

Pandora makes me scratch my head. It's the oldest streaming music app, yet it's missing a few key features.

1.) Why is there only one way to Quit the app? The option to "Quit" is only available under the main menu, but should be accessible from any screen.

2.) Why does the àpp take so long to load up? I curse at the Pandora splash screen!

3.) Why are there no playback controls on the notification drawer? (It's a great location to put an X to quit!)

voodooray

Friendly heads-up for Amazon Appstore freebies (Check your app, or web version for your region). Found these in the UK/US:

Riptide GP2
Threes!
Another World
Swype
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode II

Among many other things. Check what you don't already have from previous freebies.

Is there a way to purchase the free Amazon apps without it auto downloading? It's so annoying and part of the reason I don't even bother with the Amazon app/app store.

Salsa

I hadnt bought apps in a while but yesterday I bought Pocket Casts (got tired of doggcatcher being slow) and the Donation for Greenify

that is all

reKon

Banned
I use the normal Google calendar for managing my events, but I have been using and loving the Event Flow Calendar widget on my home screen.

That widget looks very nice. I might just end up using the Widget + Google Calendar combo, especially with the Android L Calendar coming eventually.

If I download the free version, will the agenda widget look like what I see on their screen shot samples?:

https://lh5.ggpht.com/6AOsjMitaLRbxheSmTry-I9SMaZBjuezPBcwbzVTSAoSi_2K3BpHq6333v_F6RFFlRM=h900-rw

oti

Banned
After 5 years I switched from an iPhone (4) to the OPO. It's my first Android experience and I'm slowly adapting although I would find some new and mindblowing things every day (like Widgets, woah, they're like magic).

Haven't browsed the Play Store that much either. Downloaded my standard Apps like Evernote, Runkeeper, WhatsApp and so on. Now to my question: What are in your opinion the top must have Apps a former iPhone user woukld most likely not know about.

I love podcasts and tried BeyondPod, but I think I'll get Pocket Casts instead. 3€ is a nice price.

By the way, WHAT IS UP with being able to call anybody on Google Hangouts? That's so weird. I'm kinda afraid of that App now.

Kansoku

Haven't browsed the Play Store that much either. Downloaded my standard Apps like Evernote, Runkeeper, WhatsApp and so on. Now to my question: What are in your opinion the top must have Apps a former iPhone user woukld most likely not know about.

I don`t know what iPhones have, but Greenfy, Pushbullet, QuickPic and Viral Pop-Up PLayer are my essential apps. I like Sunrise Calendar as well, and if you know about f.lux, Twilight is a good Android version of it.

Jonnax

Hey all,

You know on google maps navigation, I remember being able to tap on the direction for the next turn and get a street view picture. I can't seem to get it to work anymore, did they take it out?

Angst

I don`t know what iPhones have, but Greenfy, Pushbullet, QuickPic and Viral Pop-Up PLayer are my essential apps. I like Sunrise Calendar as well, and if you know about f.lux, Twilight is a good Android version of it.

A word of warning; f.lux / Twilight and all other apps that apply a filter to your screen makes installing .apks manually impossible, same goes for giving root rights to apps. For some reason the filter makes it so you can't press "ok" on the pop-up screen, cancel works though. You'll either have to make do without the filter, or just disable it momentarily.

Kansoku

A word of warning; f.lux / Twilight and all other apps that apply a filter to your screen makes installing .apks manually impossible, same goes for giving root rights to apps. For some reason the filter makes it so you can't press "ok" on the pop-up screen, cancel works though. You'll either have to make do without the filter, or just disable it momentarily.

Wierd, I had no problems with them.

Leatherface

hey GAF what are your thoughts on Disconnect Mobile? It was taken down from the app store by Google, but seems to be getting some attention from the tech community. Does this software do a good job of blocking unwanted/malicious tracking and malvertising? It looks like a decent app to me but the whole VPN thing has me a little put off. It's not supposed to pass traffic through it but I dunno. I guess I don't quite get how it works and I'm afraid that I will be basically opening myself up to this random company. What say you?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I want to draw comics on my phone with my friend. Stupid comics, but still comics. Sketchbook doesn't really offer me ANYTHING of use here. Are there any good apps that allow you to do frames, text, and general comic book editing stuff available?

bob page

After 5 years I switched from an iPhone (4) to the OPO. It's my first Android experience and I'm slowly adapting although I would find some new and mindblowing things every day (like Widgets, woah, they're like magic).

I love podcasts and tried BeyondPod, but I think I'll get Pocket Casts instead. 3€ is a nice price.

By the way, WHAT IS UP with being able to call anybody on Google Hangouts? That's so weird. I'm kinda afraid of that App now.

Download Pushbullet.

The new google Messenger app for SMS is sooo silky smooth. I love it.

Sucks that I talk to my girl through hangouts when she is on her work computer, but everyone else goes through Messenger.

WEGGLES

The new google Messenger app for SMS is sooo silky smooth. I love it.

Sucks that I talk to my girl through hangouts when she is on her work computer, but everyone else goes through Messenger.

I'm glad to be back to separate SMS and hangouts app. I found hangouts running sluggishly. Also most of my friends don't use hangouts, so having the conversation in one place wasn't especially handy. And then my GF uses both hangouts and sms, but treats them like separate conversations. so it'd be annoying to be talking on hangouts for a bit then out of the blue she replies to a text I sent ages ago and I have to scroll up etc etc. etc.

Messenger is so slick. Love it!

OG Kush

Ok best keyboards alternative to SwiftKey? I love swiftkey but the lagging is getting unbearable now. Its an actual issue, just searched their website many other people experience it aswell. its messed up, totally ruined the app for me now.
So yeah best alternatives? Tried google keyboard, go keyboard and default sony xperia now.. they just dont feel as good as swiftkey,

Pachimari

Ok best keyboards alternative to SwiftKey? I love swiftkey but the lagging is getting unbearable now. Its an actual issue, just searched their website many other people experience it aswell. its messed up, totally ruined the app for me now.
So yeah best alternatives? Tried google keyboard, go keyboard and default sony xperia now.. they just dont feel as good as swiftkey,

Fleksy maybe?

To me, the Google Keyboard is great though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

You can try Swype. SwiftKey is still better though.

Groof

Fleksy is by far the greatest 3rd party keyboard available. Especially once you've gotten used to its gestures and can use it in mini mode. You save so much screen real estate.

Now, if they were to ever add in support for multiple languages at the same time I'd be incredibly happy. But I'd rather they implement more languages.

Mr_Zombie

So I've just learned that if you uninstall an app within minutes after purchasing it it results in automatic refund. I bought Plex app but couldn't log in to myPlex account. On one forum I found someone who had a similar problem and said that reinstalling the app fixed it. However, as soon as I uninstalled Plex I got an e-mail from Google Play Store that the refund for the app was completed. I was surprised because I did not ask for that. Sure, I can buy Plex once again but I found that really weird and really not user friendly. A popup with a question whether or not I want a refund would be much better than an automatic deduction that uninstalling an app = wanting a refund for it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I've just learned that if you uninstall an app within minutes after purchasing it it results in automatic refund. I bought Plex app but couldn't log in to myPlex account. On one forum I found someone who had a similar problem and said that reinstalling the app fixed it. However, as soon as I uninstalled Plex I got an e-mail from Google Play Store that the refund for the app was completed. I was surprised because I did not ask for that. Sure, I can buy Plex once again but I found that really weird and really not user friendly. A popup with a question whether or not I want a refund would be much better than an automatic deduction that uninstalling an app = wanting a refund for it.

That actually sounds kind of nice. A popup would be good too, sure.

voodooray

So I've just learned that if you uninstall an app within minutes after purchasing it it results in automatic refund.

Google increased the automatic grace period for refunds from 15 mins to 2 hours. Beyond 2 hours, you can escalate it directly to the dev of the app, or to Google from My Orders in your Play -> Settings menu where a refund might still be possible.

More info here.

Mr_Zombie

I know about that and I think it's great, since 2 hours is enough to check whether or not you like the app, it works as advertised and is working correctly on your device. However, I just wish uninstalling an app (which I can do for various reasons - being dissapointed by the app is only one of them) didn't automatically send a request for refund without any warning.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
During the refund time period, it says "refund" on the Play Store instead of "uninstall."

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It probably doesn't say that when uninstalling the app locally.

Yep, it does not. I like the way it is now. Other ways I can see being too contrived. Most people uninstall apps when they don't want them. A reinstall situation is uncommon enough to not care about it.

Minamu

I'm not sure where to ask, but I did something stupid on my girl's Android phone. I decided to delete the Google Play Services and it asked me if I wanted to revert it to default settings or something and I accepted. Now the phone is super slow and a popup saying the service has been stopped keeps coming up every few seconds. How do I fix this? :lol

Edit: Nvm, found it via google, currently installing the latest software update.

Made a unit converter app for JB+ devices if anyone is interested

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.convertunits

** Initial release. Favorites and much more coming shortly. E-mail me with requests **
The goal of this app is for a minimal and easy to use unit converter that is packed with various categories and units. At present there is 95 categories to choose from and around 3500 individual units.
At present here is the current list:
Acceleration - Angular
Acceleration - Linear
Area
Calorific Value
Capacitance
Charge
Chemical - Henry\'s Law
Computer Speed
Concentration - Liquid Solution
Concentration - Molar
Conductance