• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Xbox One Preview "Wave 1" details

Remark

Banned
They need to fix some little things. Performance improvements are welcome. They also need to fix the bug that says "You must install the game or app" occasionally when you launch Snap. They also need to fix the problem with achievements sometimes not popping at all or staying at Done Unlocking... and then suddenly popping 48 hours later. I also have some audio sync issues whenever I edit videos in Upload Studio.

One big thing that I hope they fix is install times.
Windows 10 update and everything after will be the huge performance updates.

Zenner

+1 on the Achievement descriptors. That will be great.

We still need a way to turn off auto-recording clips game-by-game, without also turning off Xbox Record That by default. That'll make a few peeps happy, for sure.

Alx

What is everyone hoping for now that the major stuff is out of the way?

Speech to text option with the system keyboard.
Barcode scanning, and maybe OCR too. QR code scanning is brilliant, but the cards you buy for credit don't use those.
Better offline support (pins,...)
Possibility to pin game hubs rather than accessing a menu.
Possibility to switch selected game when in game hub
New avatars with the KSR design

I love the environment and its evolutions though. But there's so much potential for more.

Tall Paul

Hoping for a fix for the tv issues, been going on forever with black screen when going from HD channel to SD channel on my sky box, but great to see updates still filtering through!

mike4001_

Folders as pins
Voice messages
Background music
Beacons
Faster snapping

No language region lock
More codecs for media player (DTS, ...)

And many other small and big things still missing.

feedback.xbox.com gives you a pretty good list. Of course around 50% of the suggestions are nonsense like (make everything 1080/60, or "buy Sony" and stuff) but you see there, that they could carry on with their montly updates for a VERY long time.

The achievement thing is neat. Can't think of any outstanding issues I have with the OS. What is everyone hoping for now that the major stuff is out of the way?

I want better segmenting of what notifications I get. I don't want achievement notifications, nor when friends are online. But I want to know when a game has finished downloading.

Also support for the USB tv dongle in my country and HDMI CEC support.

At this point I've given up on them fixing the black crush issue.

ShamePain

Banned
Hope they start reducing the OS memory footprint. Nothing there screams 3Gb worth of functionality. Should be 1 gig tops. Same goes for PS4.

PaulLFC

The achievement thing is neat. Can't think of any outstanding issues I have with the OS. What is everyone hoping for now that the major stuff is out of the way?
HDMI passthrough for TV. I like the TV features and being able to watch while gaming, but sometimes I just want to watch TV without having to turn the console on.

My AV receiver does this, but my only worry is if it's something that has to be done in hardware.

Speaking of Folders, it might be good if Folders had a "directional snap" component where the first four items corresponded to d-pad/stick directions and you could double tap A and hit a direction to autoselect one of the sub options. Or something to that effect. Maybe extra option on "A/Y/X" with "B" remaining free to cancel.

Alternate method might just be X/Y/L/R/LB/RB as instant select buttons when mousing over a folder for its sub components. A brings up the menu.

Omni

I just want follow notifications. It would be nice to know when someone follows me. Half the time I don't notice until hours later and by that point I've forgotten who it is.

I would love Google Play Music. I know there is no chance of that happening but would like to see it with the chance of your own music while playing a game

VeeP

Really hoping we get optimization at some point. Speed + Stability. Besides Microsoft has been doing a good job at making updatabes.

p3tran

Banned
A small thing I still want: system wide vibration/rumble disable. It hurts my hands.
add system wide change button/control configuration, and custom game soundtracks and Im good.
also put a better version of internet explorer if you expect me to use that instead of laptop/tablet for net browse

Chris1

Folders as pins

Not just as pins, but folders in my games & apps, ready to install too.. Those sections get really messy when you've played a lot of games. Let me put demos in a folder, or free gwg's in a folder, or completed games in a folder.. Having them all in one place just looks messy.

Some other things i'd like to see added/updated:

- The media player app, it's incredible barebones and is in need of an update of some basic functions (resuming where you left off), and fix the crashes that happen on it all the time
- Fully remappable controller buttons
- Updating the game hub page even more to be more like steams pages, where users who have played the game can rate/post a review
- Option to disable game recordings on a game by game basis
- Better way to manage friends lists, let me add certain friends under certain groups instead of having them all lumped in the same group
- Achievement rarity

On top of all the already posted features like a complete store rework etc.

There's a lot MS can do for at least the upcoming year, and I'm sure they have some ideas that we haven't thought of yet.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm liking the new achievement notifications but I wouldn't mind if they stuck around a little bit longer. Feels like the text blows by too fast.
Exactly. Some achievement texts are longer than others and I was only able to get a glimpse of the first words before the notification disappeared. A second longer would be great.

+They put up a survey to help them launching game streaming to Windows. This looks like the feature could arrive sooner than expected.

Just add redeem code to store section on dash please hate digging for it

Wave 2 hype

Agreed. Or at least let me pin the code area to my home screen.

Also, do you have Kinect? "Xbox, use a code". That's what I personally do :)

For me:

• Background music
  • Activity feed optimization - let me filter what updates I want to see, who I want to see them from
  • New app/feature experiences - the rumored Game Arena
  • Game release calendar
  • Game award showcase - let me show people thta I got the full 1000/1000 on a game by giving me a ribbon, or an award. Let me show people that I won the Halo 4 championship (even though i didnt), ect
  • Twitter integration into OneGuide/TV like they showed off last E3
  • Store update - Stop listing all the different bundles seperately
  • Store update - DLC should be grouped by game, not just thrown out there. For example, there's like 200 items from Dead or Alive 5 which muddy up the store and make finding other game DLC difficult/painful
  • Store Update - Let me filter games/DLC alphebetically, by price, genre, ect
  • Voice Messages
  • General OS issues with slow loading store, my games & apps, ect

Then, of course they will need a pretty significant update to enable everything with Windows 10, including the new universal storefront, Game streaming to Windows 10, ect

I'm guessing the rest of April's update won't have much, but May's and June's will be more significant as they will want to test out Windows 10 streaming at least prior to the summer release of Windows 10, which I'm guessing will be July/August for public release (MS already confirmed it would be summer release).

- The media player app, it's incredible barebones and is in need of an update of some basic functions (resuming where you left off), and fix the crashes that happen on it all the time

Another issue I am getting now is that the media player does not like big amounts of Data.
I have a 1TB Drive that is 90% full now and I get crashes all the time . When the drive was pretty empty everything was allright with avis, mp4s etc. mkv's are a crapshoot: some play some don't. But a resume function would really be nice....

I only think that is never gonna happen. There needs to be an advantage in ease of use for Xbox Video, Netflix etc compared to the Media Player.
I think its intentional that the Media Player isn't as good as it should be.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
This preview is fucking buggy mess man. Snap is god damn slow as shit, achievements wont load like 80% of time. And online notification have grayed out image.

Microsoft really need to step back and work on snap feature and making it fluid. This is bullshit and annoying.

Achievement notifications – With this preview release, you’ll also see the achievement’s description in the notification so you know what you did to earn this achievement without having to open the achievements app. If you do choose to open up the notification to see the achievement details, we’ve also made some performance improvements to make loading the achievements app from a notification faster.

Finally!

bryehn

PS4 is getting universal controller mapping I hear. Let's do that too Xbox team and finally embrace accessibility.

Speech to text option with the system keyboard.
Barcode scanning, and maybe OCR too. QR code scanning is brilliant, but the cards you buy for credit don't use those.
Better offline support (pins,...)
Possibility to pin game hubs rather than accessing a menu.
Possibility to switch selected game when in game hub
New avatars with the KSR design

I love the environment and its evolutions though. But there's so much potential for more.

It also would be nice if pinned games were Live tiles, glancing information about your deeds in the game, as well what your friends are up to, and badges for challenges or game invites too.

Alx

In what instance would that be useful?
Wouldn't it be hard to hit the right button in QTE'S when the screen displays the default buttons?

If it's done at system level the game could be able to display the remapped button and not the default one... But I think remapping can only be useful if it's done per game (even if centralized by the system), otherwise I don't think there would be a remap that would work for all games and you would spend your time reconfiguring it when switching from one game to another. For example if you prefer shooting with a face button you could remap the right trigger to A, but then in all car games you would accelerate with A.

leeh

This preview is fucking buggy mess man. Snap is god damn slow as shit, achievements wont load like 80% of time. And online notification have grayed out image.

Microsoft really need to step back and work on snap feature and making it fluid. This is bullshit and annoying.
Agree 100%.

They made the 360 guide smooth as anything with a fraction of resources. I hope W10 fixes it.

I'd love if the second wave of this update was W10, there's a new W10 insider build and there's a lot of WP10 builds floating around. It'd be awesome if they introduced it to us now.

oo7

Hopefully this will fix my xbox staying on the green screen for quite a while then going completely black. :-[

MattyH

only thing i want atm is a 100% working media player some days i can play content fine from usb but other days just get a greyed out thumbnail and nothing plays

Top Bottom