• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc System Works USA teases a fighting game coming to Steam on Twitter

Heh, I thought at first it was a Twitter based fighter, which made me think of one of three things:

A typing of the dead style fighter
A fighter with 140 characters
Or
A fighter when each player has just 140 moves to win.

Honestly, that third one could be interesting. You'd have to not only manage meter, you'd have to keep a close eye on when and how you spend your attacks.

Why aren't you making this right now? lol.

alstein

So... what's is going to be? I know it's BF, but is it going to just be a straight port, or will there be any balance changes made? I mean, this game did come out in 2008, I doubt they're just going to leave it untouched.

Given how Arcsys forced Emiko Iwasaki into bad gameplay changes, they'd probably make it worse if they touched it.

Remember reading about in an old article. I feel bad for her- looking at her twitter harassment kinda forced her out of game design.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Given how Arcsys forced Emiko Iwasaki into bad gameplay changes, they'd probably make it worse if they touched it.

Remember reading about in an old article. I feel bad for her- looking at her twitter harassment kinda forced her out of game design.

Care to elaborate? I had no idea about this.

OMG.. They're just gunna port all of their Taito Type X/X2 games on PC.. What's next? Arcana Hearts...

No hate to Arcana Hearts. But c'mon! How much more baby steps do we have to take? If UNIEL or Persona are not next. I give up on them. I will not be buying Battle Fantasia.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
More fighting games. All my fighting games in 1 place so I don't have to worry about 30 different systems.

Mr. X

The game was original more ST SamSho style, spacing and poke heavy fighting game.

ASW overruled and made it anime fighter. Combo heavy, mechanics everywhere, etc.

This is the story I heard when it was arcade only.

Jintor

Heh, I thought at first it was a Twitter based fighter, which made me think of one of three things:

Or

Honestly, that third one could be interesting. You'd have to not only manage meter, you'd have to keep a close eye on when and how you spend your attacks.

make it make it make it

Dinjoralo

Or

HOw about just 140 inputs? As in, each direction and button press.

Rhapsody

Banned
The game was original more ST SamSho style, spacing and poke heavy fighting game.

ASW overruled and made it anime fighter. Combo heavy, mechanics everywhere, etc.

This is the story I heard when it was arcade only.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning changes, but I didn't know more about it until now.

Sounds awful that they pressured her to change all of it.

alstein

Most of this info came from an old Article by Zerochan (the place where it was posted has been down for years), and Emiko's twitter.

Lets just say she was forced to keep adding combos into the game more than she wished, and make the game move away what from she wanted its identity to be. Despite being the creator and project lead, she got walked over.

She's had some really bad luck- she'd be a great fit for Lab Zero.

Nyoro SF

Most of this info came from an old Article by Zerochan (the place where it was posted has been down for years), and Emiko's twitter.

Lets just say she was forced to keep adding combos into the game more than she wished, and make the game move away what from she wanted its identity to be. Despite being the creator and project lead, she got walked over.

She's had some really bad luck- she'd be a great fit for Lab Zero.

She is apparently making mobile games now like the rest of the Japanese industry.
I don't particularly like the character design after watching a few videos though; looks rather unappealing. Maybe it was the unfortunate circumstance of this game releasing in 2007 or whatever.

Reading up on Hardcore Gaming 101 article about it made me laugh though.

The Story Mode template for fighting games has always been goofy - one character shows up on the scene, briefly converses with another, all the while concocting some kind of halfway nonsensical reason for them to right. Now, multiply that amount of dialogue by...roughly 400%, and you have an idea of how much text AND voice is in Battle Fantasia. It's widely speculated that the reason Aksys did not release this in North America for the Playstation 3 is because they did not have the budget to redub such huge amounts of dialogue, and wanted to leave it in Japanese. Sony of America, still concerned that xenophobic Americans choke at the thought of listening to any language other than English (this is actually kinda true), tends to not approve of things like this. This also happens to be the reason why Atlus cut the voices out of the story mode in Arcana Heart. Microsoft, on the other hand, happens to not care, and neither does Sony of Europe (being that Europe has dozens of languages anyway), which is how those versions got released. The long and the short of it is, Battle Fantasia's story mode is so expansive that it caused one of the versions to not be released in North America, which maybe says that someone somewhere went a bit overboard.
Technically, there isn't any grinding. However, when you select a player in Story Mode, it will tell you what percentage of the cinemas you've seen. In order to get 100%, you need to beat every character, lose to every character, and even go down alternate story paths by executing very specific actions in certain battles. This will probably drive completionists mad.

The bolded is sad, but true after reading some threads here about how people refuse to buy games that aren't dubbed; I'd like to say this is an American only problem, but I doubt it. Sony rejecting games from services is extremely depressing.

Since Battle Fantasia is a long abandoned project line from ASW, it feels extremely weird to see them put it on PC after all these years. I'm not complaining, but if someone could explain the reasoning behind it that would be great. A litmus test for PC sales? Doubtful; ASW knows what people want. Pure goodwill? HA! Picking up some extra sales on the down low with an easy port? Probably the most likely, grabbing more sales from the back catalog.

Uraizen

Banned
Store page is up.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/356910

DotEmu is listed as a second developer, doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Revised Edition, uh? Wonder if there actually anything different about it. I'll swipe it depending on price just to screw around with.

DotEmu isn't bad, the Metal Slug ports were decent. They're not HVS or Other Ocean and they used rollback netcode for the Metal Slug games. So maybe they're helping with that? ... Who knows.

Parsnip

Revised Edition, uh? Wonder if there actually anything different about it. I'll swipe it depending on price just to screw around with.

DotEmu isn't bad, the Metal Slug ports were decent. They're not HVS or Other Ocean and they used rollback netcode for the Metal Slug games. So maybe they're helping with that? ... Who knows.

But then they also did the FF3 and FF4 Steam releases.
FF4 infamously runs normally at 30fps, and at 15fps during combat, not sure if they ever patched that.

Uraizen

Banned
But then they also did the FF3 and FF4 Steam releases.
FF4 infamously runs normally at 30fps, and at 15fps during combat, not sure if they ever patched that.

Fair enough; I've only experienced their Metal Slug ports and they were good. I wasn't aware of the quality of their other ports.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Dotemu? Avoiding like the plague. Raiden Legacy is a fucking atrocity.

Interested, but I'll wait until I see how others find the port first. The new ace attorney comes out a couple days after that anyways.

Tizoc

Yatagarasu is never actually coming out, it's the fighting game version of The Last Guardian

It's even available for pre-order over at humblebundle.com

You should do less comic reading and mroe steam thread lurking :V

She is apparently making mobile games now like the rest of the Japanese industry.
I don't particularly like the character design after watching a few videos though; looks rather unappealing. Maybe it was the unfortunate circumstance of this game releasing in 2007 or whatever.

Reading up on Hardcore Gaming 101 article about it made me laugh though.

The bolded is sad, but true after reading some threads here about how people refuse to buy games that aren't dubbed; I'd like to say this is an American only problem, but I doubt it. Sony rejecting games from services is extremely depressing.

Since Battle Fantasia is a long abandoned project line from ASW, it feels extremely weird to see them put it on PC after all these years. I'm not complaining, but if someone could explain the reasoning behind it that would be great. A litmus test for PC sales? Doubtful; ASW knows what people want. Pure goodwill? HA! Picking up some extra sales on the down low with an easy port? Probably the most likely, grabbing more sales from the back catalog.

BF actually did come out in NA and it's on psn.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...asia/cid=UP1024-NPUB30126_00-BFHDDGAMEUS00100

It just didn't get a physical release. And it has all the dialog in tact. I believe the Arcana Heart situation was ps2 only and the ps3 version (Also psn only in NA) has the dialog in tact as well.

Top Bottom