• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Fire announce new album Everything Now, out July 28, titular single out now

Arcade Fire has always been at their worst when they're the "old man yells at cloud server" band. Reflektor was a perfect illustration of this - the worst tracks (the title track, Normal Person) were all about this, the best (pretty much all of disc 2) were more personal affairs. Reflektor was a bold album from a band that was quickly stagnating, where Win and Regine re examined their marriage and asked the hard questions about it. It was exactly what they needed after The Suburbs and it's weird focus on "purity."

When I heard their new record was titled "Everything Now," I could only assume they'd gone all the way up their asses and were going to do the most stereotypically Arcade Fire thing they could - an album entirely about how Netflix exists, and that sucks, somehow. Guess I was right.

DopeToast

Banned
All I've listened to so far are the four singles a couple times each today, and I've enjoyed those, so now I'm nervous to hear the rest of it.

Arcade Fire have been one of my favourite bands since Funeral released...but this album... it's just bad. The best songs sound like weak versions of what is on Reflektor and everything else just falls on its face.

Good God Damn, infinite_content and Peter Pan are all contenders for worst Arcade Fire song on an album at least

Arcade Fire have been one of my favourite bands since Funeral released...but this album... it's just bad. The best songs sound like weak versions of what is on Reflektor and everything else just falls on its face.

Good God Damn, infinite_content and Peter Pan are all contenders for worst Arcade Fire song on an album at least

Good God Damn is one of the best songs to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. That bass.

kingkitty

I think there's 4 songs that range from very good to fine.

The rest I could do without. Worst album they've ever done, so far.

It's disappointing but at least I can listen to Reflektor some more.

Kikujiro

Arcade Fire has always been at their worst when they're the "old man yells at cloud server" band. Reflektor was a perfect illustration of this - the worst tracks (the title track, Normal Person) were all about this, the best (pretty much all of disc 2) were more personal affairs. Reflektor was a bold album from a band that was quickly stagnating, where Win and Regine re examined their marriage and asked the hard questions about it. It was exactly what they needed after The Suburbs and it's weird focus on "purity."

When I heard their new record was titled "Everything Now," I could only assume they'd gone all the way up their asses and were going to do the most stereotypically Arcade Fire thing they could - an album entirely about how Netflix exists, and that sucks, somehow. Guess I was right.

This post is absolutely ironic because you sound exactly like what you're describing.

After reading all the hyperboles in this thread I expected the worst. I really like the catchy medody in Peter Pan, Chemistry feels generic, Infinite Content is the worst song by far. Put Your Money on Me is an istant classic, how is this track not a single?

Their worst album yet, but still pretty good, with two amazing songs (Put Your Money on Me and Creature Comfort).

This post is absolutely ironic because you sound exactly like what you're describing.

Go ahead and explain how, weirdo. Or are you another one of those people who throw the word "pretentious" around without knowing what it even means?

Sorry people don't like the album you liked. You'll learn to get over it.

Travo

IM Pretty frustrated now. It looks as though I'm going to have a hip replacement soon and I won't get to see these guys in concert in late September.

Dead

well not really...yet
Go ahead and explain how, weirdo. Or are you another one of those people who throw the word "pretentious" around without knowing what it even means?

Goes both ways. Maybe some shouldn't be so hostile over the fact that some like an album they don't

Case in point:
Oh for the love of god get over yourself. It's a piece of shit, just admit it.
Like...get a grip.

Win is the weakness of the album. He’s a little too pretentious and it doesn’t help on Everything Now. Production is really good and actually sounds more akin to what I expected out of James Murphy producing Reflektor.

Chemistry is a huge opportunity missed, the lyrics are just so so bad. Definitely the worst written song I’ve heard this year from the artists I listen to.

Or Infinte Content. I’d say they’re tied.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Win is the weakness of the album. He's a little too pretentious and it doesn't help on Everything Now. Production is really good and actually sounds more akin to what I expected out of James Murphy producing Reflektor.

Chemistry is a huge opportunity missed, the lyrics are just so so bad. Definitely the worst written song I've heard this year from the artists I listen to.

I really think the song would work a lot better with a different band. Win is completely unbelievable as someone seducing a lady with a boyfriend. It is hard to believe him seducing his wife. He doesn't have that cocksure quality. It makes the whole thing goofy.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I really think the song would work a lot better with a different band. Win is completely unbelievable as someone seducing a lady with a boyfriend. It is hard to believe him seducing his wife. He doesn't have that cocksure quality. It makes the whole thing goofy.

Is he seducing her? or just lusting after her and thinking she'll of course leave anyone for him?

"I know you haven't even met me yet /
But you're gonna love me baby when you get to know me"

that line, and the style of the song, makes me think it's more about delusion and inflated self-worth

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seemed like a grower to me, at first I didn't like songs like Creature Comfort but now I really love it. It's that kind of record to me. I don't think it requires music knowledge at all, I just think that it deserves a few listens before judging it.

Ahh, that makes sense. I wasn't much of a fan of Reflektor at first, but it definitely grew on me after a few listens.

Davey Cakes

It's a decent listen. I like a couple of the songs but I don't think the album will have lasting power for me. Felt the same about Reflektor, unfortunately.

The days of Arcade Fire really leaving a mark on me are over. It's disappointing but I'll get over it.

Yeah, this is bad. Really bad. I didn't want to believe it at first because I actually fucking love Reflektor, and I know that was a divisive record.

So many of the songs are just full of really tacky instrumentation and awful screechy sounds and backing vocals. Like on Creature Comfort especially. Yeesh.

I honestly don't think I care to listen to any of these songs again at all. :(
I don't think it's awful but yeah I'm in no rush to listen to any of the songs again. The lyrics aren't anything special, the background details are refreshing but sometimes seem "thrown in there," the mastering isn't particular good, and the overall sound is a bit too bright for what I want out of Arcade Fire.

agreed with the bolded but I liked Reflektor's title track. But yeah this is easily the worst AF album. Instrumentally it's decent but both the lyrics and vocals are garbage for pretty much every single song.

Electric Blue and Infinite Content are my favorite songs but the vocals on the former and the lyrics on the latter are straight up laughable. The last song on the album is probably the 3rd best. Thank god they didn't go for a long silence and then the song in reverse again.

But yeah my first thought upon finishing it was "well I can't see myself replaying this entire thing anytime soon if ever"

Also funny tidbit that relates to the album's "message", the 3 songs with Everything Now in them confuse Spotify if you're playing one and try to play the other lol.

Edit: Thus the year of artists I used to love and expected nothing much from their new album and they still let me down continues thanks to this after Mister Mellow (Washed Out) and Humanz (Gorillaz). At least Humanz gave us Submission. That being said the new The National and Grizzly Bear albums are shaping up nicely.

Dead

well not really...yet
Electric Blue to the outro is a straight 9/10 album. The middle is just such a drag, despite featuring the shortest songs...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
agreed with the bolded but I liked Reflektor's title track. But yeah this is easily the worst AF album. Instrumentally it's decent but both the lyrics and vocals are garbage for pretty much every single song.

Electric Blue and Infinite Content are my favorite songs but the vocals on the former and the lyrics on the latter are straight up laughable. The last song on the album is probably the 3rd best. Thank god they didn't go for a long silence and then the song in reverse again.

But yeah my first thought upon finishing it was "well I can't see myself replaying this entire thing anytime soon if ever"
Regine's featured tracks on every album have always been highlights but her vocals on Electric Blue are so, so bad. I don't even understand.

I listened to Neon Bible yesterday – I had forgotten how much Win actually sings on that record and how powerful his voice is at times. He's just so boring and monotone on this new stuff.

Regine's featured tracks on every album have always been highlights but her vocals on Electric Blue are so, so bad. I don't even understand.

I listened to Neon Bible yesterday – I had forgotten how much Win actually sings on that record and how powerful his voice is at times. He's just so boring and monotone on this new stuff.

Agreed for both.

Myriadis

Listened to it practially blind with friends. It is the worst Arcade Fire album.
On the other hand there are about 5 songs I enjoy. Signs of Life, Chemistry, Infinite Content, Good God Damn and We don't Deserve Love I enjoyed. Absolutely disliked the title track and Creature Comfort.

Given that they just produced their best album four years ago (tho Funeral is damn good too, close there) it's a bit disappointing but well then, time to move on.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

If I'm not mistaken, Win blew out his voice during the Neon Bible tour and needed sinus surgery. I figure that's why he's never quite reached the heights of that record or Funeral when it comes to intense singing.

Myriadis

Signs of Life has grown on me a lot since the single came out.

Yeah, one of the stronger ones.

And I'm currently listening though Reflector again. Damn what a great album. Pretty much solified my opinion as my favorite AF album. (And yes, I listened to Funeral too today, but while I like it, I prefer the sound of Reflektor)

I'm a fan of the whole album, aside from Chemistry and Good God Damn. GGD is okay, but the instrumentation is too basic and stick out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of the album with a "grand disco ballad" sound aka Creature Comfort, Everything Now. I don't even see how these songs fit lyrically with the rest of the tracklist.

Chemistry is just so bad, sounds nothing like Arcade Fire. Strayed too far into the pop sound for me on this one, doesn't fit them at all.

Favorites:
Creature Comfort
Everything Now
Electric Blue
We Don't Deserve Love
Signs of Life

Kikujiro

It seems to me you're the one who can't get over the fact that some people don't find the album shit. I mean I don't need to explain you anything, your attitude says it all, passive-aggressive, condescending and rude.

I do agree with some of you who said that some of the songs feel out of place: Chemistry, Infinite Content and GGD. The lows are really low in this album.

I enjoyed it, I'm easy to please when it comes to music and I've enjoyed almost everything Arcade Fire has done. I don't think it's their best, however I sincerely don't understand some of the reactions in here, it's not anywhere near worth having a fight over.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My favorites :

Everything Now
Signs of Life
Creature Comfort
Electric Blue
Put Your Money On Me
We Don't Deserve Love

Album gets better with repeat listens for sure.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yup, the album has completely grown on me over the weekend. I think it's still a little uneven, but the back end is awesome, and the middle stuff isn't nearly as bad as it feels the first time

Bread

Banned
I enjoyed it, I'm easy to please when it comes to music and I've enjoyed almost everything Arcade Fire has done. I don't think it's their best, however I sincerely don't understand some of the reactions in here, it's not anywhere near worth having a fight over.
Same here, and it seems like that makes us unique on this forum. I loved what Arcade Fire used to be, do I want more albums like Funeral or Neon Bible? Of course. But I love how their sound has changed. Hell, I think Chemistry is fun *shrugs*

Infinite Content is the only song I'm not crazy about, it sounds a little too Green Day for me. Infinite_Content is good though, and it almost makes the first one worth it!

Travo

yup, the album has completely grown on me over the weekend. I think it's still a little uneven, but the back end is awesome, and the middle stuff isn't nearly as bad as it feels the first time

Pretty much how I feel. The end saves the record. Those last three songs are that good.

Noctilum

I didn't realize how different my taste in music is from others. I generally don't listen to music for the lyrics and blank them out, so with that said, the only tracks I really care for are Peter Pan and maybe Everything Now due to their melodies. Outside of that, I really have no desire to listen to this album again.

Icolin

Banned
This has maybe 4-5 good songs, and I can't be bothered to listen to the rest. So disappointing and bland. Not as bad as I first thought it was though. Just...meh.

And re: Reflektor; it's a great album. Definitely picks up in the second half; Supersymmetry is a fantastic closer, and my favourite Arcade Fire song.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally had a chance to listen to the whole thing in one sitting and... yeah, I don't think I like this much at all. Everything Now and a couple of others were pretty good, but nothing is terribly memorable. Some sounded downright bad to me.

Oh well! I was first exposed to Arcade Fire with The Suburbs and really loved it, but they obviously aren't content producing the same kind of music, which is great and all, but the direction they seem to be going perhaps is not for me.

legend166

Just listening to it now. My thoughts are basically it's really uneven. The highs are high (I really like the title track, Signs of Life, Creature Comfort, Put Your Money On Me), and the lows are low, (Chemistry, Peter Pan, Infinite Content). I think Electric Blue could be good, but I really don't like the vocal.

I think Put Your Money On Me is my favourite song off the album.

Have been listening to this on and off… I’m liking some of the songs more and more, to the point I want to listen to them everyday. I mean, it’s missing some of the edge of earlier albums, but some of the songs are just wonderful. I even like Peter Pan now, and its lyrics are fine tbh. I think only Chemistry is a really weak song, and I don’t even count Infinite Content, it’s obvious is some kind parody on how we’re being swarmed with cheapened content.

Its biggest weakness is (besides the lack of edge I mentioned) how its themes are societal commentary and it lacks that personal issues sparkle so many of their songs have.

Creature Comfort, Everything Now, Electric Blue, Put your Money on Me, We don’t deserve Love: potential top ten songs

Peter Pan, Good God Damn, Signs of Life: serviceable

Chemistry: eh

Polari

Yeesh. Reflektor was bloated and gimmicky, but at least it had some great songs. Like The Suburbs, with a tighter edit it could have been a decent album.

There's no decent album to be found here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well this is quite the divisive album. Giving it a third listen now and it really seems to vary from track to track.

"Everything Now," "Creature Comfort," "Chemistry," "Electric Blue" and "We Don't Deserve Love" are all either good or great while "Peter Pan," "Infinite Content" and "Good God Damn" are bad.

I'm still mixed on "Signs of Life" and "Put Your Money On Me."

And the "_" tracks just don't work for me. I'm fine for a concept album including short tracks in between other songs but "Everything_Now" and "Infinite_Content" just bore me.

Helmholtz

Disappointing album. By FAR their worst album.
I think they've gotten progressively worse with each album, but all of the albums before this one had good to great tracks on them. The tracks on this album are mostly pieces of shit.
Wish they'd have just scrapped this garbage because it fucks up their otherwise stellar discography.

Top Bottom