• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade racing fans are currently enjoying an embarrassment of riches

Shaneus

Digging up old posts is the single creepiest fucking shit on this site. How people have time to dig through someone's post history just because theyre making a different point?

Gtfoh with this creep ass shit
So performing a search to see if someone has an agenda is creepy? Huh.

Lol, i just noticed that.

I feel stalked. And vulnerable :S
You know you replied to that very same post and didn't mention it at all?

Anyway, two things I've learned from this (and other) threads:
1. People prefer things. If a game isn't 60fps, don't complain about it. Complaining won't change anything, let along developers balancing for immersion over framerate.
2. Some types of games are practically required to be 60fps, but most are personal preferences. A fighting, puzzle or FPS game that relies on twitch movements is obviously critical for this, whereas a driving games (especially ones that support wheels which are by nature not twitch-sensitive controllers) generally do not need such high levels of visual feedback... they also rely on sound and controller feedback for greater immersion and reaction calculation.

Now excuse me, I think I'm going to play some Blur on my 360. At 30fps.

nkarafo

So performing a search to see if someone has an agenda is creepy? Huh.
Despite being creepy or not, what does that prove anyway? The sole reason i created that thread that day was because i couldn't find a single Rally game (in the style of Colin McRae) on 360 that runs at 60fps. Not a single one. Nadda. Zero. I was annoyed and i wanted to discuss why the standards have dropped after the 6th gen, even though the hardware is superior. And as i explained already, i can't enjoy 30fps racing games because.... i just can't. Not because i have "an agenda".

I have nothing against Driveclub since the last updates and I'm dying to finally play Forza Horizon 2, but I need my Sega 90's arcade racer at 60fps with Takenobu Mitsuyoshi's music.There is not a gaming experience like that right now

I still consider the first Daytona as the best arcade racer in history. It's like Super Mario 1-1 or Mega Man X's first level of the racing games.

beril

Oh no, you don't have an agenda. Not at all.

Have you seen videos of Driveclub? Did you watch the DF analysis? There is literally zero frame drop in it. "Stuttering" my arse.

I don't get it; because he made an earlier post with many of the same points he's arguing here that somehow means he has an agenda and somehow invalidates his opinion? It just seems like he cares a lot about framerates, which is a perfectly sound stance to have.

I'm not that sensitive to framerates but looking at some footage from DriveClub it could certainly be smoother. There seems to be a little bit of motion blur going on but not enough to make it look smooth at 30fps. So yea, if someone doesn't think 30 fps is good enough for a racing game, I doubt Driveclub will prove them otherwise.

Need For Speed Rivals is the last low framerate racer I buy for a while. It is really noticeable to me in a game that moves that fast.

I have both driveclub and FH2. They are definitely not arcade racers. FH2 is amazing though and you can definitely have some arcadey fun with the open world and all the control tweaks.

Drive club to me feels a little bland, small and way more simmy. But i have just started so that can all change once i unlock more cars.

TSM

It concerns me that there may be some people who are skipping FH2 and DC purely based on their frame rate.

There are several genre's of games where 60 fps is not just wanted, but actually expected (fighters, driving games, character action games, etc). The developers will either decide going 30 fps was a worthwhile trade off to lose the sales of some hardcore fans or that it wasn't and they'll aim for 60 fps next time.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
There are several genre's of games where 60 fps is not just wanted, but actually expected (fighters, driving games, character action games, etc). The developers will either decide going 30 fps was a worthwhile trade off to lose the sales of some hardcore fans or that it wasn't and they'll aim for 60 fps next time.

Dont forget platformers.

ironcreed

Banned
The more I play of The Crew, the more I think it is easily one of the best racers that I have ever played. Especially of the open world variety.

I love the gameplay, the massive and varied environment with tons of site seeing for long road trips and the RPG aspect keeps you hooked. There is really nothing else like it when everything is weighed together. There is a lot under the hood to weigh as well.

leng jai

The more I play of The Crew, the more I think it is easily one of the best racers that I have ever played. Especially of the open world variety.

I love the gameplay, the massive and varied environment with tons of site seeing for long road trips and the RPG aspect keeps you hooked. There is really nothing else like it when everything is weighed together. There is a lot under the hood to weigh as well.

I admit I've barely looked at the game after all the pre-release negativity. Not too many mentions of it in this thread either. I'm intrigued now though.

Hanzou

Who owns the San Francisco Rush license? I would love an HD version of one of those old games. I played the crap out of the arcade and N64 versions.

ironcreed

Banned
I admit I've barely looked at the game after all the pre-release negativity. Not too many mentions of it in this thread either. I'm intrigued now though.

It turned out a hell of a lot better than I was expecting, I'll say that much. It's quite an ambitious game, despite the lame story (who cares in a driving game anyway?) and visuals that are not on par with something like Horizon. But it can definitely look pretty and the attention to detail is super impressive.

Dunno about the genres... and differences aside...

Driveclub has been the most fun in a racing game I've had since Burnout 2 and NFS Hot Pursuit 1 (maaaaybe 2) on PS2 and PSX.

i've also never bought a season pass before, but i'm considering it for DC based on how great the free content has been so far.

This makes me happy as I'm getting the game for Christmas!

As far as racing games go, I demand 60fps for sim racing, but 30 is fine for games like Forza Horizon and Driveclub - especially since they play so well. I can't speak for Driveclub (getting ps4 in 2015) but FH2 is so smooth and so much fun, the reduced framerate hasn't bothered me in the slightest.

Wow either you and that other guy I quoted are pc snobs or console warriors. What released racing game recently appeals to you?

I like how you shoot before asking a question. I quite like realistic racing games, Gran Turismo is one of my favorite game series. Right now I'd say the most-recently released racing game I'm enjoying is Mario Kart 8 I'm fine with any type of aesthetic as long as it serves the game properly. I'm even fine with low-budget visuals in racing games like in Penny Racers or Tokyo Xtreme Racer. The visuals in those games, while subpar, were consistent and suited them.

The plastic-looking lighting when thunder strikes the trees in a game that emphasises immense detail is something that works against that aesthetic in my opinion.

gelf

I like Arcade racers but I actually don't care about the framerate too much. I played the hell out of 30fps Saturn Sega Rally. For me its about the colour, the handling tuned for exciting powerslides rather then realism. The tracks being designed to be a beautiful place to drive through rather then worrying about the real world.

60fps is just icing on the cake but I could handle 30fps if everything else is present. I want to give Driveclub a try but it doesn't look like an arcade racer to me and that's a bigger issue then 30fps.

leng jai

I like Arcade racers but I actually don't care about the framerate too much. I played the hell out of 30fps Saturn Sega Rally. For me its about the colour, the handling tuned for exciting powerslides rather then realism. The tracks being designed to be a beautiful place to drive through rather then worrying about the real world.

60fps is just icing on the cake but I could handle 30fps if everything else is present. I want to give Driveclub a try but it doesn't look like an arcade racer to me and that's a bigger issue then 30fps.

Driveclub is an arcade racer with a realistic looking aesthetic IMO. The handling has more depth but it's highly accessible.

Nanashrew

Banned
That's a depressing list... Will be happy when Drift Stage and 90's Arcade Racer drops though. Those two will probably be my go to's in this gen and I hope for more like them.

Seanspeed

Banned
'Stuttering' and 'Choppy' have no direct relation to it being 30 or 60fps.

Stuttering and Choppy both indicate that the framerate is inconsistent, it is not.
Not quite true.

A consistent framerate isnt necessarily smooth. There's a reason why there's still a huge difference between 30fps and 60fps. I think most people would say 20fps, even a consistent 20fps, would feel stuttery. It just depends on one's standards.

Of course there's other, more literal forms of stuttering, which is what I'm guessing you're thinking of. But saying 'stuttery' is just his way of saying the framerate feels too low for him. I like to use the word 'choppy' when talking about that sort of thing.

gelf

Driveclub is an arcade racer with a realistic looking aesthetic IMO. The handling has more depth but it's highly accessible.
Its certainly on my to try list whenever I end up with a PS4. Doesn't look too bogged down by car nerd stuff I know nothing about. As an actual arcade racer though I doubt it'll compare with classic Sega racers but then nothing does.

leng jai

Its certainly on my to try list whenever I end up with a PS4. Doesn't look too bogged down by car nerd stuff I know nothing about. As an actual arcade racer though I doubt it'll compare with classic Sega racers but then nothing does.

By the time you get your PS4 the PS+ version will probably be out - perfect for a trial.

Top Bottom