• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcana Heart 3 |OT| Thread of beating up moe moe girls

Makoto

alstein said:
Why am I getting Honda Civic ads in this game now?
Edit: Oh wtf, there's an ad on the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

On the topic of AH3 however, going to try and divide time between preparing for SSFIV: Arcade Edition and trying to learning Heart/Fiona. Game seems deep.

depths20XX

I've been trying to learn Kamui. BnB's in this game are much harder than MvC3, at least for me.

She seems like a more beginner friendly character so hopefully I can learn a few things.

Solune

depths20XX said:
I've been trying to learn Kamui. BnB's in this game are much harder than MvC3, at least for me.

She seems like a more beginner friendly character so hopefully I can learn a few things.
BnBs in Arcana are definitely harder than MvC3. Kamui is for the more intermediate player I think. She's got excellent range and good damage but has long recovery on some of her moves. Also she lacks a good reversal so unless you're good at zoning you have to be good under pressure.

Solune

depths20XX said:
So who would you say is better for someone new to the series? (other than Heart)
Check out this guide posted courtesy of Akselziys, his post is a few back.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/18/how-to-play-arcana-heart-3-part-1-choosing-a-character-arcana/
Personally I think Kamui is a good choice, I've gotten rocked by a few here on GAF. So if you're comfortable I'd say stick with her. She used to be my sub until I picked up Weiss.
I just said she's intermediate due to the reasons I've listed. But if you're looking for other characters I'd say try Saki, she's my main or Akane, they have good wakeup reversals and have easy combos to start with. Characters that don't require elaborate setups or moves are good starters imo.

Characters like Weiss have to "equip" and have to re-equip if hit for example. Or Petra having to reload as another. I'd wait after you've learned the game before picking up either unless you are attracted to their gameplay.

Solune

viewtiful_dru said:
honestly, Weiss isn't that hard to handle, and she's a strong character.

How do I get in on the GAF rooms? My PSN gt is viewtifuldru.
It's not that she's hard to handle, it's that you have to get used to buffing yourself when given the opportunity as opposed to characters that don't and have all of their tools at the ready. Weiss without blades is like walking with one foot.

Morris

Disco Devil
depths20XX said:
So who would you say is better for someone new to the series? (other than Heart)

I never played Arcana Heart before (or any other animu fighting game for that matter) and I started with Dorothy, apparently she's ony of the 'weird' or hard characters to play and i'm holding up pretty well with her.

I think you have to focus more with learning the mechanics of the game with your character instead of trying to find a character that is 'easy' to play. You'll just keep improving overtime...

Solune

Morro! said:
I think you have to focus more with learning the mechanics of the game with your character instead of trying to find a character that is 'easy' to play. You'll just keep improving overtime...
Just follow Floyd's advice for those of you picking the game up. Like any game, pick who you like and learn them. It's the best way to feel comfortable with who you choose.

Also haven't seen any new faces in the AH3 Chat so, for those interested add me, Edge, or floyd.

PSN
  • Sollune
  • Edgeward34
  • floydnova
in that order respectively. Get an invite and get some lobbies going.

Edit: AH3 going on at ReveLAtions
http://www.justin.tv/offcast/#/w/1319463328

I kept meaning to join in the festivities for a while now but something kept coming up each time. Ill try to make some time this weekend. Im usually on in the evenings. Ill send a message out to get an invite.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm thinking of picking this up on PSN but can't quite seem to figure out - is the PS3 version widescreen or 4:3? Is there a selection between the two and does it affect gameplay? What mode do people play in competitively?

xero273

Kaijima said:
I'm thinking of picking this up on PSN but can't quite seem to figure out - is the PS3 version widescreen or 4:3? Is there a selection between the two and does it affect gameplay? What mode do people play in competitively?

you can select widescreen or 4:3. From what I played, don't think it affects gameplay. People use 4:3 for competitve.

notworksafe

xero273 said:
you can select widescreen or 4:3. From what I played, don't think it affects gameplay. People use 4:3 for competitve.
Wall bounce is all wonky in widescreen, so 4:3 is the best way to play for practice IMO.

Solune said:
Bellresia01 BODIED Peter L. Lilica looks really fun.

Hah. Figures that my first ever match in a fighting game tournament was me getting totally destroyed on stream :D

After 0-2ing in AH I did manage to get a win in the next day in BBCS2 vs. RinHara5aki ending up 1-2.

Anywho it was a 'great tournament great experience' and I had a lot of fun just playing casuals.

I'll try and join you guys on PSN one of these days.

Solune

gravitypenguin said:
Hah. Figures that my first ever match in a fighting game tournament was me getting totally destroyed on stream :D

After 0-2ing in AH I did manage to get a win in the next day in BBCS2 vs. RinHara5aki ending up 1-2.

Anywho it was a 'great tournament great experience' and I had a lot of fun just playing casuals.

I'll try and join you guys on PSN one of these days.
Oh man didn't know you were a Gaffer. And I didn't mean to put you on blast :lol. There was alot of perfects going on @ Revelations and it was fun watching other characters I don't play do their bnbs. We should get some matches in.

Fugu

I started playing this as Kamui and liked it but not enough to really commit any time to it. I'm learning Weiss now and liking it so much more. What a fun character.

Wow this game is legit. I haven't even played anyone yet. Been hitting up the training mode and having fun with that alone.

I'm using Heart right now. I really like her combos.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im thinking on buying this game.
Which game modes has?

LegatoB

Fersis said:
Im thinking on buying this game.
Which game modes has?
Arcade, Versus, Training, Online, Jesus Christ Did You Guys Outsource To SNK To Create This Boss? Holy Shit Why Attack.

Morris

Disco Devil
Hi.

Just bumping this to say that I HATE Fiona.

k bye.

When the hell are we gonna make a GAF lobby?

AAK

I despise the art style in this with a passion but a friend of mine keeps recommending this game to me and assured me that I'll enjoy it. So I go to the PSN store and boom, this doesn't have a demo? I don't want to shell out $30 for this unless I know I'll like it or not. (sigh) Maybe i'll wait for a price drop.

AAK

Everytime I watch match videos of this game it disgusts me. I just wanted to try it first and see if the gameplay will be good enough to make me turn a blind eye to the rest.

FallingEdge said:
It's the best fighting game released this generation. You will not regret it.

BlazBlue would like a word with you. But AH is crack regardless of aesthetic values. So you should jump right in to it. You'll find a character you like and can manage because there's a character for every style of play. And the selectable Arcanas diversify it even more by making up for character weaknesses or exploiting character strengths. And all this reminds me on how Examu needs to do something with Daemon Bride. I wanna play that badly.

d0c_zaius

FallingEdge said:
It's the best fighting game released this generation. You will not regret it.

It's definitely up there.

AAK said:
Everytime I watch match videos of this game it disgusts me. I just wanted to try it first and see if the gameplay will be good enough to make me turn a blind eye to the rest.

Well dont force yourself to do something you dont like, stick to the pretty fighting games :).

I had my reservations about it at first as well, but once I very quickly got pulled by the sheer number of options at your disposal and going around testing this, that, and the other.

But as noted before, if it literally "disgusts" you to watch, then don't force it.

Solune

So me and Hitokage are planning a lobby tonight, if you're interested in playing don't be shy. Don't really have a specific time frame but maybe around 8 - 9:00 PST.

Send a PM or something or just post here if you want an invite.

Degen

did I seriously just buy this?

*checks bank account

I seriously just bought this

guess I'll... wait for this download to finish and pray that the power characters don't suck

Morris

Disco Devil
Yay at SFIV GAF convincing Degen to buy AH3.

PLAY ARCANA 3, IT'S A GOOD GAME.

Also GGs to Lyte and Edge tonight!

FoxSpirit

Hmmm, just 2 questions:

1)Is this available to Euro PS3 users?
2)Do I have to use a stick or would be using a pad fine too? BlazBlue isn't that great to play with a pad but I'm so out of stick practice :-/

Edgeward

FoxSpirit said:
Hmmm, just 2 questions:

2)Do I have to use a stick or would be using a pad fine too? BlazBlue isn't that great to play with a pad but I'm so out of stick practice :-/

It has a disc release in Euro ( I don't know the date, or if it's out already. Details are sketchy)

AH uses 5 buttons - A B C Special and homing. Floyd (morro) plays on pad and has no problems.

Ken

How easy or hard is it to get into this game and learn enough to play decently? I found learning SSFIV not too hard, but thought Blazblue was much harder to get into.

Also, how is playing it on a DS3? All my TEs are for the 360. :(

Edgeward

Well, basic combos follow the general rule of ABC and none of the commands are different from what you're used to. Supers are activated with a single motion and AB, only arcana supers require double motions. There are no input shortcuts and you really cant mash either to get things out because moves aren't given priority as to what comes out, so I could mash srk motion in the air and end with a down down attack command instead of dp.

It is much more similar to BB than SF because you are given air mobility and there are things to be aware of like clash, burst and homing cancels. You also have to choose an arcana on top of picking a character, which while tough to grasp initially is a great concept because you are never truly at a disadvantage in match-ups because arcanas can give unique properties like you inital dash frames can cause clash, increased offensive power or def, being able to triple air dash/jump and each arcana has it's own moveset. So it is pretty involved, I will not lie, but it is rewarding once you do get it.

But it's still a fighting game so you can fuck around and have fun if you play with people on the same level who do the same.

Solune

FoxSpirit said:
Hmmm, just 2 questions:

1)http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29097584&postcount=31
2)I play Blazblue on stick or pad, mainly I use pad for fighting games but I feel that AH3 benefits from stick due to the fifth button(Homing) and having easy access to it as well as being able to hit A+B at the same time for supers.
Ken said:
How easy or hard is it to get into this game and learn enough to play decently? I found learning SSFIV not too hard, but thought Blazblue was much harder to get into.

Also, how is playing it on a DS3? All my TEs are for the 360. :(
The learning curve for this game I would say would be on par with Blazblue. You have to get in the habit of air to air hit confirms and also homing cancel anything thats unsafe.

As said before DS3 is good, Floyd and myself use pad and do fine.

Edgeward

Ken said:
I see. Thanks.

How much is it on NA PSN store?

30 bucks. I would plead with the Aksys reps to have a sale soon to bolster the online community, as 30 is too high for most people I talk to and it didn't help have the unfortunate fate of being released shortly before the psn hack debacle happened.

I only really play with Floyd and he's too good.

Degen

So after hating everything this game stands for since its announcement, I may actually like it. What's worse is that my favorite characters so far all look like kids

EXKsJ.jpg

Catherine, Fiona, Kira all day. But whoever thought of the inputs for these Level 3 supers deserves a swift kick to the shin. 1080 grab? really? so you either do it on wake-up or after an empty double-jump (totally not predictable [/sarcasm])? wat. i need a tutor

Top Bottom