• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Black Bosses and Their Black Employees at Odds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
soundscream said:
Story is Bull Shit.

As a Black Manager who has had all races working under me I can tell you that it this is the result of poor management. You have to separate yourself from your employees your not their friend your there boss, keep that line clear and there will be no problems. If they act insubordinate to you its the managers responsibility to give them corrective action if they dont they will become a doormat for that employee.
sounds like we're all on the same page here. nothing more to see.

Cipherr

No employee has ever tried this shit with me, throughout my entire CAREER. And I would assume it has something to do with me having a backbone. These people need to get over it, this kind of problem only exists as long as you allow it.

Story is Bull Shit.

As a Black Manager who has had all races working under me I can tell you that it this is the result of poor management. You have to separate yourself from your employees your not their friend your there boss, keep that line clear and there will be no problems. If they act insubordinate to you its the managers responsibility to give them corrective action if they dont they will become a doormat for that employee.

Well hell, there it is then, I shouldn't have even posted, I had glanced over this one here.

Cloudy

Banned
How is this a "black" problem? If you don't run a tight ship with any employees and stuff gets too informal, you'll have issues. Give people an inch and they'll take a mile..

Puncture said:
No employee has ever tried this shit with me, throughout my entire CAREER. And I would assume it has something to do with me having a backbone. These people need to get over it, this kind of problem only exists as long as you allow it.
I'd bet $1,000 he's also got out of control kids.

Simply put: Not everyone is good at asserting themselves. Those people will always do a bad job managing others. Especially those who like to challenge authority or are unfocused. And that person will always blame someone other than themselves for the state of things.

dejay

Banned
Yes, as has been said, you need some separation. This is harder if you've been promoted and people still consider you an equal, even though you have to tell them what to do. This happened to me - it took me about three months to realise that I couldn't continue the relationships as they were and it took me another month or two after that to make them realise that. Now I don't have the same friendships I used to with them but that's one of the reasons I get paid more. I don't have the time or energy to do my job and pick up their slack myself.

I reward work ethic and initiative with more interesting roles and more overtime. I wouldn't even consider doing that based on race.

Ploid 3.0

Demand respect first, then be their buddy. Keep the demand for respect above the buddy buddy. Now everyone is clear. They won't be late out of fear of losing their job. The salon is a easy place for employees to think they are too close to their boss for them to fire them, maybe barbershop as well. Think of a girl working for her blood sister.

Jin34

As she explains it: “You have a sense of self-hate or hate for the group that you are part of and what they represent in society. The (widespread public) lesson has been that black folk are not smart, they’re not capable, and you sort of internalize that. The person does not appreciate his own group, and has a higher appreciation for whites. He idolizes what whites do and demonizes what blacks do.”

I think the quote by the the psychologist has some merit, that kind of attitude I hear a lot here in PR about how workers here are bad and this wouldn't happen in the US, etc.

soundscream said:
Story is Bull Shit.

You ain't keepin it reeaall, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom